Sub 3

Comments

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Stevie - Well done on that PB mentioned already on Strava, you will take more off that time on the road no problem.

Well, strictly speaking I am in a 'sort of' pre plan building phase. Which basically means I'm building comfortably back up to 50-60 mpw. If you include this phase then it's more like 16-18 weeks. 

The only real difference between this pre and 12 week period is during the 12 weeks I will do two double digit runs during the week, one of which being 15 miles, and a 20+ mile run most weekends. Atm, my longest run through the week is only 10 miles and my long run is only 15-16 miles.

I've found that anything more than 12 weeks of the above and I start to get super fed-up with the constant training. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - i  think 3 weeks post yeovil might be a bit soon for my 10k (lordshill) , but it is what it is and i wanted some fixtures that had nothing to do with marathons in order to provide a mental break. I have New Forest trail 10 the following week.

SJ - sounds like you are in a good place to build from.

Stevie - you'll be 35:XX on the roads soon.

Did a surpringly strong 20 today, quicker than id normally run it and 5mins quicker than the same run 2 weeks post Brighton. 10,10,5,10,10,5,20 for the week. No more 20s for a while due to racing the next 2 or 3 weekends.
  • I'm surprised you're back running 20s with only shorter races in the diary TR.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - agreed, i had a 16m option when i got to 15m, but decided to turn left and do the 20. After the 23s and 24s i did between Brighton and Yeovil 20 doesnt seem so long. It made me smile that i used to only do 20s in jan, feb and march.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Approx 8m, round greenwich park and blackheath, i ran through the gfa start line.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    TR - has the GFA start stopped smelling of panicky-pee by now!  
    SJ - You've a far better base to draw upon now for the start of your Abo plan. Good place to be. 
    Stevie
    - That pretty swift. I think your aiming for a fast time at Berlin - if so, that's in the right ball-park. 
    11m @ 8 mm recovery run this morning - eyeing up a Dartmoor Trail marathon and/ or - the Eden trail marathon.  Really enjoyed my recent trail marathon, so think I will do these every now and again in between sub-3 road marathons.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    StevieWh -- well done on the track race. They're holding an open track night at Norwich on Friday with 5000m and 10000m, if that's anywhere near you, see https://www.tickettailor.com/events/athleticsnorfolk/272588

I did a flat dry grass parkrun on Sat, 18:27 which is only 15 sec slower than my track 5000m the previous weekend, and not quite flat out. And made it a 20M with 2M warm-up and 15M steady afterwards. Then a ploddy 10M yesterday and further commutes for the early part of this week. But I'm racing a 10km next Sun, so I'll taper for that later in the week.

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    OO - I'm doing York as Abo was full (I did procrastinate a lot!). York is same day as Abo so plan is the same. 

You're also right about a better base. Arguably the best shape I've ever been in considering my mara and 10k PBs this spring. I'm back up to 16-18 mile long runs and almost 60 mpw which when you consider I thought 50 mpw was a lot just 12 months ago I've progressed quite a bit off consistency alone. 

Funny as you can read about distance running being a patient game and consistency is king all you want, but until you see it happen for yourself it's never quite imaginable. As has always been said on here, it's not rocket science. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, haven't got another 10k booked in now until Telford. Hopefully if I can keep my motivation after Berlin I can go quick there.

Charlie - That looks a really good event! Bit too far for me though as I'm near Birmingham. 

OO - Target for Berlin is sub 2.45 so I'm trending in the right direction but still a lot of work to do
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, the start line mix of BO, deep heat and pee was all gone.

SJ  - good to see the consustent hard work pay off.

12m for me today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Back to it today with 9 inc 6 ~mp which came in approx 6.40 av. Didnt go too mad as i thought i might  struggle 1st session back. The aim this campaign will be to extend this up to 10m most weeks.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see you banging out the sharper stuff & MLR's already TR.
    Congrats on the track PB Stevie, nice confidence booster.
    SJ.. great to hear you're coming to York, must meet up somehow.  Hopefully we won't be as soggy & drenched as last year!
    Well done on the Parkrun/20m combo Charlie.
    Some time back I was talked into doing the Northern Endure 24 in a team (probably after a few beers :#).  It's just up the road at Bramham Park so a short trip for me, I'll probably end up doing 5 or 6 x 5m laps.  Saturday looks pretty hot so I've volunteered for a couple of hot runs as I suffer less than most in the heat.  I've been doing regular doubles recently which might help me through the 24 hours.  Compiling a kit/food list is challenging, never done anything like this. :*
  • Nice to mix it up and challenge yourself Wardi - I hope you have a great time. On the food front I'd suggest lots of it and all sorts of different savoury and sweet things to choose from. Flat coke has been a life saver for me when doing the long stuff.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    StevieWh - Berlin is the course to do it, I ran it in 2018.  Loved it.  Only thing I ran long, 26.8 which I put down to running to the water stations sited on the left of the road (less busy) rather than to the right which was the best running line.  
    SJ - Yes, my mate is running York too for England vest as its the England vs Celtic nations race, he was trying to get me along to run for Wales, but I've other plans. But should be plenty of faster older runners to run with.
    Wardi - I do like the sound of these 24 hour/ Endure events (generally cries f agony I've been told). Be very interested in your thoughts. Acclimaitised from the Spanish marathons, like it.
    TR - Great you've bounced back so strongly.  I've got 15 planned for the weekend, that's enough for now for me. 
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Wow Wardi, hope it goes well. There was going to be a 24 hr race near here but it was cancelled, was quite tempted to do it solo... another one later in the year clashes with my holiday. It's the overnight format that I don't like (even for 12 hr races), I don't cope well on no sleep -- when I ran the BGR I set off at about 3am and finished at 2am or something, to more or less fit with normal sleep patterns.

But I have just entered the Stour Valley Path 100km in Aug to shake things up a bit, I fancied an adventure too, and I always tend to lose focus a bit between marathons!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a nice event Charlie, mine is noon to noon so just like a long night shift!
    One of my clubmates (he organises the Hardmoors series up here) managed to cover 100m solo within the 24 hours last year.  I think it could be 4-5 hours between runs for me so I do intend to get a couple of hours sleep here & there if it's not too noisy.
    I'm with you on the flat coke LMH - I discovered it's remarkable post marathon recovery properties at the Frankfurt marathon a few years back.  I bought a litre this morning for de-gassing along with one of Charlie's patented Soreen loafs.  I guess regular small snacks are the way to go to keep energy levels up, I'll buy some small pasta type salads & take some cereal, crisps and biscuits.   7.2m+4.1m today, this must be the cool day in advance of the forthcoming heatwave. B)
  • It's certainly cool here Wardi  :(

Nice ultra entering Charlie - it's lumpier than I'd have expected.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    wardi - good luck this weekend. I’d entered for that (in a team of 5 which included Caz and njord). Originally entered for last year’s race (when I thought I’d be back running), deferred to this year and then deferred again to next year since I’ve only been back at it a few weeks, so there’s no way I’d be up to it.

However, I’ve done 4 or 5 of these before. Once in a pair, the others as a team of 5. They’re cracking events. None of us ever bothered with sleeping, but you can suss that yourself. In my view the best strategy is to order your runners fastest to slowest, and then just take it in turns to run a lap each. Double laps are doable but are very hard. I’ve only ever done 1 double lap (when I ran as a pair) and in hindsight we’d have been better just alternating. 

Re food - just stuff you know you like really. The on-site catering options are pretty good too if you fancy something specific. Decent pasta options, a proper pizza oven, lots of sandwiches, cakes, pastries etc. And proper coffee. So I’d take what you think you need but also take some cash for anything extra you might fancy. 

Other thing. Take lots of kit. It will get cold during the night. And when you’re freezing at 3:00am you don’t want to be putting on damp kit. I’d take spare shoes and spare batteries for your headtorch too. 

Youll have a great great weekend though I’m sure. They’re fabulous events if you’ve got good team mates!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - get all the laps done in one go.

OO - your recovery started a week later than me anyway.

LMH - its going to warm up and stay warm next week, so you can get rid of the longsleeves.

6m easy peasy pace.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Berlin - loved it. It does have some long inclines but nothing that you could call a hill. last 5k are a bit windy (twisty) and quiet until you hit the finish straight, which is pretty impressive. Best thing is straight after the complimentary massage you're 300 yards from a pint and a pizza on the river

Ouch Ouch - ive contacted wales Masters to see if I can run in the celtic nations and been told to contact the race organisers if i want to run for Wales as they pick the teams?? all a bit crap really. Could do with a point in the right direction if anyone can help as im new to this.

Ive never tried flat coke but I know of several runners who swear by it. even in maras.

Any feedback from the runners who went really big m iles in training? DId it help? I went over my usual mileage for Edi and feel I went in overtrained, but put that down to overcomponsating for down time so cant really draw any conclusions. Im about to start a new programme and pondering mileage.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I'll ask my mate at work Menn as he often turns out for N Wales.
    Have fun Wardi.
  • Stevie, how about the Midlands 10000m on 10th August? On a track again of course, but local ish.

• How's it going LS21?

TR - not here I'm afraid, we are forecast a warm day on Saturday but then the temperature is going to drop again  :(

Mennania - I feel that the high mileage works for me but I don't do any speed work other than the very occasional race.

Are you back to 100% now Jooligan?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Menn - did you explore tbe coach option in the end?

LMH - shame that, its forecast to be 20 degrees or more for next couple of weeks here. Although i dont get to run in that warmth in the mornings.

6m inc 2 av 6.19, so a little blow through ready for Sunday. Turns out parts of M27 are closed this weekend, which makes Sunday a pain.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Mennania - I've contacted my mate whose running York. 
    What are big miles is relative and so athlete specific.  For me, since Jan 2017 I've run 300+ miles a month, 3 times and the subsequent marathons were my best/ felt easiest. Av. monthly miles in this period has been 215 miles, affected as raced 16 marathons in this time, which have been a training positive. You may have felt over-trained for Edi, as you were injured for part of the campaign and playing training catch-up?
    Berlin - Running through the Brandenburg Gate with 300 metres to go, and then beers with all of the other finishers in the Tiergarten in front of the Reichstag, takes some beating. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Speedy -  I really want to do that but unfortunately I'm at a BBQ that day. I've got a 5000m at Notts the end of August then will probably train through until Kenilworth Half 01/09.

You're all getting me excited for Berlin, pizza and beer next to the finish sounds perfect to me!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Still procrastinating @TR. Spoken to two though and am going to get it sorted.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    LMH - yes I'm ok thanks and ticking along nicely. Up to doing 50-60mpw now so will stay at that for a while. I'm just running how I feel too. Some days I try and push things a bit, others it's all very nice and easy. There's no plan or real structure per se, but I'm happy enough and enjoying just being back out there. My pace has come down by about 30 secs a mile compared to about 3 weeks ago too, so I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing for a while. Absolutely zero desire to race, go to the club or do a parkrun at present but that may well change in future. Will just play it by ear.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

+1 on the Berlin recommendation too. This was how we spent our afternoon post-Marathon. 26 beers and a Coca-Cola! The bloke who had the coke ran 2’33 so go to to the pub before everyone else. We obviously wouldn’t let him buy another though!
  • That's so good to hear LS21 - hope it continues to go well and you continue to enjoy it, that's the important bit.

Stevie - is Kenilworth a fast course?