My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Hi JT - nice to see you back and that you are out running.  Hope the ears improve quickly.  I saw an article on those treadmills a while ago - interesting things.  Not so good about the cat's teeth but I think they can cope without with soft food. 

Cal are you taking an achilles break at the moment then?  Buying non-running shoes is a boring occupation I find.  In particular with size 8s.

Enrvuk I also always want to write envruk.  JT got around the problem already by shortening it.  Good you are getting on with the HR training.

Ch1stinaVlt I guess it is pesonal preference.  I have a range of shorts from mid thigh lycra cycling type to short and lightweight race ones and just choose on the day according to temperature.  Took a bit to pluck up the courage to show that much leg in the latter (I'm not 20 after all) but in the meantime I don't care.   I detest compression type shorts especially in hot weather.   Looking at those 2 pairs I would probably get both though the first are a bit too short for my liking - not sure that they wouldn't ride up and cause some chafing on the inside thigh.  I would think also about pockets if you might need them.

Group outing yesterday evening of around 6 miles - pretty warm so nothing spectacularly fast.   Sat in one lady's garden post run for a chatter and a drink (no alcohol for me) and then discovered that my car key was missing.  Oops.  Some thinking provided the solution that it was happily trundling off to other places on someone else's back seat.  Got a lift home and phoned around to confirm that.  Good thing we have a spare and I will get it back next Sunday at a race to save faffing around beforehand.

Collect the car recovery this morning - a bit short of 4 miles.  Will be a warm day again so good to get the running done already.  Car was still there and had no parking ticket.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello Hazel. Glad you rediscovered your car after the lady garden panic.
    Gym session with a 5km treadmill run to finish. 23mins and hard work. My anti-burst fitness ball burst during the night. Made a hell of a bang.
  • First post here, but I've been lurking for a while, so Hi to everyone. Having a week off. I've got a pain inner side/ back of right knee-does lessen as I run, but I know I need to rest it. I do very much enjoy reading everyone's running exploits and hope that I can contribute regularly. Keep those legs going !
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome mollie - sounds like a hamstring or calf tendon issue (tendons typically feel less achey when you warm up). Book yourself an appointment with a proper sports physio who will be able to diagnose it and give you some corrective exercises. In my experience, tendon issues don't always resolve with rest, so it's best to find out what's causing the issue and fix it.

Hazelnut - had three days off. I emailed my physio for advice and he OK'd a short run today so I did a 2 mile stress test this evening - one mile easy, one a bit faster (between HM and 10K pace). It wasn't anywhere near as bad so I will risk the club relay tomorrow.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Welcome Christina,JT and Mollie.

Well done on your first HM,Linton,that's a very respectable time and something to build on.

Good luck with your club relay,Cal,always good fun.Your achilles has been a nuisance over the last couple of weeks,hope it behaves for you now.

Hazelnut,good news with your car key.When I run with  my car fob I'm forever tapping my pocket just to make sure it's still there,drives me nuts.

enrvuk,what distance are you up to now for your HM training?

Had a plan to run 8 miles yesterday evening with 5 x 1k intervals but within two minutes of running I knew there would be no chance,legs felt leaden,so I ended up just doing 5 miles at a very easy pace.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks JD. Did another 3 miles this morning - it wasn't too bad. I'm more concerned about the left foot which I hurt stumbling downstairs when my drunk neighbour buzzed my door in the small hours of the morning a couple of weeks ago. I think I sprained it mildly. It's not noticeable all the time but in certain positions it can ache a bit. The worst thing is where I cut my toe (I landed on top of my foot) as the toe is still quite sore and red - it should have healed by now. If it doesn't calm down I'll have to go to the docs for antibiotics or something - don't want to lose a toe now, do I?

JD, good to listen to your body.
    What were you doing to the ball JT?  Lol to the lady garden, missed that twist when I wrote that.

Welcome molliemasha, hope the knee improves quickly. Agree on the physio to get it checked out and some exercices.

Good luck with the relays this evening Cal. Hope the achilles copes with them ok.  Any chance of socks/shoes rubbing that toe so it won't heal?

Sometimes you have to dump a planned session JD.  5x1k is a toughie i find.

Hill work for me today (day off).  I'm running a race next Sunday that I always struggle with (12k/+800m) so I decided to run the course today as training.  Quite a bit slower than I've raced it but it was very humid and I was carrying a rucksack (water and spare clothes etc).  Quick coffee at the top and then return by a shorter route.  Had to walk most of it as steep and infested with rocks and roots and I didn't want a fall or knackered quads.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Cal, losing a toe would be quite bad news for a runner! So best avoid that. Quite red doesn't sound ideal. Mrs enrv is the opposite of you, but she is at least going to the gym now, but a few dozen trainers away from toppling her normal shoe stack. Never seen her in leather trousers and cowboy boots either :smile:

Hazel, I bet you subconsciously left the keys to give you the recovery run. Nice miles as usual. If I stick to kms I'm sounds at least a little closer to you!

I wear a wrist band for my keys, which gets quite sweaty (like everything I wear), but it does the job. If I had shorts I'd be tapping away like JD.

JD, I've got a 10k Saturday week and will start an HM 14 week plan from there. At the moment I am doing around 30-36km a week. Quite looking forward to the longer distances I have in store. 

Welcome Mollie, I'd follow Cal's advice, it's always good.

JT your fitness ball sounds like those unbreakable rulers we used to have at school! 23 mins 5k with an ear infection is nothing to be sneezed at.

After running 6 days on the bounce, a PR of sorts, like JD I could tell my body wasn't ready for another run, so I took yesterday off. Having got soaked on the way home from Secret Cinema last night I thought I'd be off key this morning, but it was another simple HR2 focused foundation run. The higher temp made the run a little slower, but I got it done.

I'm off to Frimley Lodge Parkrun on Saturday en route to the Siren Brewery in Finchampstead, not quite at Cal's level of tourism, but building up.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    p.s. Anybody heard from Will, he hasn't posted in a while and has had some ups and downs. Hope he is okay.
  • Had a great first run back after my half marathon today.

Bizarrely my house is being filmed for Location, Location, Location today, facilitating a day off work.  They made it clear they didn't want me there, so I drove out to a stunning river valley and went for a run there. 

It felt incredible running top off in the warm sunshine through this quiet valley, and I (for once) felt fit and strong.  I felt I could run forever!  Surprising after Sunday's half.

I cut the run to 9 miles for common sense sake, but had some decent mid 8 minutes mile splits.

I feel that half was a bit of a mental hurdle for me, I just need to stay injury free.

Good running enrvuk, 6 days on the bounce is pretty hardcore.  Enjoy your parkrun.  I haven't done a Parkrun in in 2 months, but have done 150 miles plus since my last one, so am going to try one on a perfect day soon. I could get a surprise?, be nice to better my 21:49.

Good work on the hill training hazlenut! ALL of the upcoming local halves are either undulating or hilly so I must get hill training!! Hope quads are Ok.

I do hope your foot gets better Cal, So annoying it was someone else's fault get well soon.

Hi to new members! This place is a goldmine of running info and support, I have learned lots.

Bass fishing tomorrow morning and a challenging clay shoot tomorrow afternoon, so a very outdoorsy couple days off.

• Hello All! Pas de panique, I've been out for a run.

I had an unplanned 10 day break from getting the trainers on. Just didn't fancy it and also heard that I've got a London Marathon place for next year, running for Pancreatic Cancer UK,  which is very cool. So, I figured that as, come July, I'll be on a 10 month double phase of marathon training, a few days off wouldn't hurt. I eased back in with just under 5 easy miles this evening, meandering the streets. To my relief, I hadn't forgotten how to run and I now feel that nice post-run after glow again. 

Nice work from all of you. Hope the injury niggles are healing. Great to hear from JT again and thanks for your concern, enrvuk. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh so your gaff is going to be on TV, Linton? Enjoy the fishing.
    Welcome back, Will - congrats on the marathon place.

Bridges Relay went OK. A bit strange dodging pedestrians around the Thames but quite fun too. Achilles wasn't too bad - felt it a bit in the second mile but it calmed down quickly once I stretched it out. Left foot hurt before and after but not while I was running, which is interesting. Hazelnut, you might be right about the toe - I put a plaster back on it so hopefully that will help.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise your foot was that bad,Cal.You definitely don't want to lose a toe they come in handy for runners!Glad you enjoyed your relay.

Hazelnut,enjoying a coffee en route is my type of run.

Six days of consecutive running is good going,enrvuk,enjoy your parkrun.

Linton,leave a pair of old trainers out while they're filming,we'll know it's your house then!Enjoy your fishing and shooting.

Hi Will,well done with bagging a place for the London marathon.With Brecon and London you'll be busy.

• Thanks very much for the welcome and advice everyone. I actually went for an easy 5 miles today, back of the knee was tight to start with but no pain, and eased off after a bit. Lovely day for running and i went along an old route of mine with green countryside everywhere and not a car in sight. Heard quite a few birds but no idea what they were, did see a couple of swans though.

Great that you've got a VLM place Will! I'm in the ballot for the umpteenth time, so fingers crossed.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Linton, how does the LocationX3 thing work? Is yours the house for sale?
    Good running everywhere by everyone. It's got busier on the thread. And hello again Will.
    8.25miles in 1hr02 this evening. Made the effort to get back to more of a pace. Beautiful sunny evening so went one side of the river Ouse, through the city and came back on the other river bank. No other runners which was a surprise. There's a van parked in the road with the livery "Lee Curtis plumber". I really want to write "Jamie" on it.
  • Hi JT, yeah I'm selling my house, so that my other half can sell hers and we can buy one together (We both have previous relationships).  The programme is doing an episode based in Canterbury and I was approached by the estate agent.

Apparently the buyers look at 3 then hopefully bid on one. They didn't bid on ANY so a waste of time really, sigh.  That's Iife I guess.  Least I got a good run out of it! I should have left some running trainers out! Mine is the one in Chartham overlooking fields with a little red shed!

Fishing was good, but clay shooting I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a shovel. (Just went to spend time with my dad).

Good pace JT141, lovely to have a river to run next to.  Hard to not stop and look for fish (for me!).

Nice run Mollie good luck with knee.  The "running guy" at work how I was finding it all 5 months in.  I said every hobby I've tried I've been able to focus fully on improvement.  Running I've had to focus on not getting injured/recovering from injury! Certainly a frustrating sport at times, but I'm very much enjoying it.

Hi Will awesome news about the marathon place! I would love to do London marathon one day.  I'm probably better aiming for a non sponsorship marathon first though.

Glad you foots improving Cal, a relay sounds great fun!  I'd love to join our local running club but I work two evenings a week and, yep, it's their training times.

There is one single, solitary, running event a year in the small town I live in. A 10k. It's a bit of a big thing locally and competative! I said I'd give it a go.  However after last weekends  half and the other day's 9 miler I do feel a bit weary.  May give it a go to show support and learn the course.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Relays are fun. Foot's not really improving, though. It eases when I run but goes back to hurting again when I walk on it after. The achilles is still pretty tetchy.
    I actually don't train with my club but I've got to know folks there through doing parkruns and races and the odd volunteering stint (I also collate the club results each week).
    Some of them were going to Richmond parkrun today so I put my foot/achilles worries to once side and went along to. It turned out to be hot, (by my standards at least) so I pottered around and came in just under 28 minutes. I decided then that I would blow off the 10 mile race tomorrow. I wouldn't do well in the heat so there's no point risking my injuries.
    I think mine were a bit grumpy today as I met an American friend yesterday who was visiting London on a European retirement tour and we had sushi and then went to Harrods for macaroons and ended up walking around Hyde Park. I walked about 8 miles during all that which is not exactly putting my feet up.
    I did see a lot of waterfowl on the Serpentine - swans, Canadian geese, greylags, Egyptians and a lot of herons. One guy was feeding the herons tinned fish - there were about six of them gathered around him which is more herons than I've seen in one spot. A couple appeared to be juveniles as their head markings weren't as distinct.
    I also saw some waterfowl I didn't recognise. I figured they were likely a shelduck of some sort as they were about the size of the Egyptians but they were mostly monochrome with white and black stripey heads. The only thing I could find online that looked close to that was barnacle geese but these seemed to have a couple of black stripes by the eyes which seemed different from the barnacle goose pictures. Any ideas, Will?

• Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    There'll be your Bar-Headed Goose, Cal, an attractive ornamental. Never heard of people feeding Herons out of tins! Weirdness. I get the feeling you're not very good at putting your feet up, Cal.

That is a hell of a lick for 8+ miles, JT. 

A couple of 5K efforts to report from me. A slow bloated one last night, post roast chicken and a pacier one this morning in the cemetery. A Muntjac was barking away in there last night, making a right racket. Didn't spot it today.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Will, that's what they were, indeed.
  • Nice one :)
    I run, therefore I am.
    Nice and busy on here at the moment.

Hope you had a nice parkrun envruk.

Interesting cross training LTT.  Maybe those with river runs should indulge in fishspotting for you then.

Well done on the VLM place Will.

Bird watching on the run is quite popular on here Mollie.  Good news on the knee.

Swift running JT. How do you pronounce Ouse out of interest?  More like ooze or rather like house? A matter for debate further south though a different river.

Likely a good call on the 10 miler Cal. Sound's like you had a nice meet up with your friend.

2 runs to report: a 5 and a bit mile recovery yesterday afternoon. Was feeling a bit down and unmotivated to work out a route so I did several laps of a field practicing staying at a consistent easy pace.   Lots of nice wild(ish) flowers along the edges.  Today slightly over HM distance with OH on the first 4 miles so a slowish start. Put in a bit of progression up to the 10 mile point before slowing back downfor the rest home.  Very muggy and I am not looking foward to 35+ degrees next week. Guess I will have to get up earlier.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Ouse pronounced ooze. Hope your foot starts to sort itself out Cal. Tendons are unpredictable things and frustratingly slow to heal.
    About 7.8miles last night in my vivobarefoots. Still feeling my way into more regular running again. A warm but breezy evening. Passed Jamie Lee Curtis' van. There was a small concert playing somewhere off in the distance with an enthusiastic drummer. Out to a village and on some country back roads. Somehow got over every busy road and crossing without having to stop. Not quick but not slow. Scared a pheasant out of a hedgerow. That'll teach it.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That'll be a bit on the warm side, Hazelnut. I do prefer the mornings in the summer as the evenings can still be so warm and humid, but can't seem to do the 5am starts currently.

Hiya Mollie and welcome.

Hope the 10K race is fun, Linton and hope your niggles have cleared up, Cal.

After a day showing 120 girl guides and brownies round the estate farmland on the back of a big trailer, pulled by a vintage tractor, I needed to get out and pound the streets/trails. I've been playing with the virtual pacer mode on my watch and decided to try a sedate 9:50 mi/mi and try to stick to it. A road 'n' trail loop across the marsh and along the river was a welcome tonic. Reed Bunting buzzed from the reedbeds, a Sedge Warbler darted down the river and then I too spooked a handsome cock Pheasant, JT. Must be the season for it. Lovely mauve wild geraniums all over the place and pleasingly few people about. The pacer seemed to work. A bit annoying as it kept vibrating at me but an overall pace of 9:48 for the whisker off 6 miles was pretty close to the mark.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Cal, that foot sounds like it needs to be looked at, although 8 miles is not exactly a rest. Worth it for sushi and macaroons though.

Hazel decent mileage and like you, I'm very concerned about the upcoming heat. On the day of my 10k it's looking to be super hot. This is a pattern!!! Of the half dozen organised races I've done, 5 have been on noticeably hotter days than the preceding week and a couple at c. 10c hotter than I'd trained at. I know how much my HR increases due to heat, so I am throwing my targets out of the window. 

Congrats on the VLM place Will, very envious. The pigeons will be about the extent of the birdlife on that run!

I did the Frimley Lodge parkrun yesterday. Lovely course and the weather was ideal. It's pretty flat, but mainly grass and trail. It's a two lap course, the first lap was very crowded as it's quite narrow. I think it was at least 1.5km before I could run at all freely. The parkrun was sandwiched between a boozy night and a brewery tour, much needed exercise. I finished in a relatively slow 27:33, but with negative splits all the way. 

Have a good week everyone.
    Thx regarding the Ouse JT.  Can imagine the pheasant gave you a bit of a shock as well.

Nice run that Will.  I've given up with the pace alarms as the buzzing gets on my nerves.

enrvuk - good plan to reduce your race targets if it is hot.  Looks like it will be so for my race on Sunday.  Well done on your parkrun.

Already been out for today's 6 miles - set the alarm earlier and dragged myself straight out of bed.  Warm but not excessively though.  Quite a heavy dew and as the sun started to burn that off things got a bit humid.  Pace was around the steady mark so I could live with it though.  Ran one of my standard out and back routes along a brook with not too much to look at, a couple of herons and red kites and also a couple of birdwatchers.  Forgot to check for fish though - sorry LTT.  Did hear some frogs.
  • Sorry your foot's still playing up Cal, hope you see some improvement before long.

Nice progressive HM distance Hazel. Hope you and enrvuk don't suffer too much on your race days-I don't envy you at all.

Excellent pace there JT141.

Short slow runs for me over the last few days, knee seems to be slowly getting better though it'll be in for a shock Wednesday as I'm planning 2 or 3 miles @7:49. Before my knee went I was in the middle of 10K training, so want to try to keep some momentum. Race isn't till August tho.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    JT,that's a nippy 8 miles,nice running.

When's your 10k,Linton?

Envruk,just what's needed after a boozy night.

Nice running,Hazelnut.We get the odd red kite but far as I know they're not breeding here yet.You get plenty in mid wales though.

Couple of runs to report on.8 miles yesterday morning,struggled a bit after trying to do a few miles @ 10k pace,legs felt really sore.

Just over 17.5 this morning,had plans to do 19 miles but my legs had over ideas.
    Started ok but by mile ten I could feel my glutes,by mile 13 I was down to a shuffle and decided running a bit more wouldn't be beneficial.Have to admit I haven't found the love for Mara training yet.
    Took me about 2.45 hours to complete the run.
    Cal,how many twenty miler would you recommend?

• alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I'm back! It's been a frustrating couple of months to say the least with my health issues but I had some good news last week with my MRI scan coming back clear. Still waiting on further testing but that rules out some of the scarier possibilities.

And in even better news my knee has been healing nicely. So much so that I managed to get out for a 3 mile run yesterday morning. The consensus in the end was that I had sprained my MCL. Thankfully not a major tear else things would have been a lot worse. It felt amazing to be out on the road again. My knee was a bit stiff at first but things seemed to loosen up a bit once I got going. I'm obviously going to be taking it easy for now to see how the knee reacts but so far so good following run number 1. Those 2 months felt like a lifetime.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    That's fantastic news,alipat,must be a huge relief.Just take it nice and easy.
  • Great stuff alipat! glad it was good news.

The local 10k was last Sunday JD1. Unfortunately I wasn't sure I'd be match fit after the previous weekend's half marathon and deliberated too long. When I went to get a ticket on the Saturday it was sold out, which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.

A fairly easy 6 miles tonight, humid and oppressive in kent. Heard and saw a lark.

I'm a bit lost now as local half marathons are 26th august, 1st september and 29th september. Ages away. I wish I could find one about mid july,

Great nature spots Will, sounds a lovely route.

Nice Parkrun enrvuk. Gotta dash have a good week.