Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the interesting responses re- the M/F split in various events. 
    Shades...agree that the change in 35 years has been remarkable!

On the subject of the 10' distance; I think it's a great distance to race. Have only done half a dozen, and they were many years ago: Sri-Chinmoy in Battersea, Peterlee, Co.Durham in which you got different medals according to your finish time (e.g. mine was a silver for going sub-74), Gt S. Run x2  (when there were only 4000 runners), Oostend-Brugge (less than 700 runners) and the Charter Run (Harwich) which may have been a one-off as it was normally a 10k (231 finishers).
    The Belgian one was still on the calendar a couple of years ago.
  • Ian well done on the fast parkrun, and nice to finish up the top! Well done for stopping today, sensible decision. If I run by our train line i take my bank card too just in case, thankfully not used it for that since 2011!

Big G shame about the parking costs, air of parkruns allow you to claim parking back if you use the cafe/ site. Hope the shoulder is okay tomorrow, I have found since my return to running struggling on anything more than pancake flat so don’t think that’s unusual! That official time sounds much quicker 🤣 

cal sorry to hear about your DNS and foot, hope it heals soon! Well done on getting another new parkrun done.

jelly congrats on the course PB

so angry 😡 with myself! I’m out again!!!

Yesterday was unsure what to run, decided on Panshanger parkrun which is my home parkrun but don’t run it much since Westmill started.  Couple of mile jog up and jog round with a pal of mine and Elle’s who goes to slimming world. 4km in one of my club mates hogs past and I joke to say will catch him up.... sprinted pass and joked telling him to keep up, I tripped and fell, claret everywhere knees cut and lost skin on both knees. Walked a couple of hundred meters as knew I could rest on a bench and raise legs to stem the bleeding and then got 1st aid. Was in a lot of pain but managed to get patched up, finished the parkrun in about 1.07 but given the time as last finisher at 55 mins (silver lining) went to emergency unit who washed it, then sent to hospital (another drama as to who would be best to deal with me) and I’m back in tomorrow hopefully for surgery and skin graft.
  • the proof i finished 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Bloody hell that doesn't look good.
    Hope they sort you out and you're not out for too long.Are thos arrows incase the docs don't know where the issue is?

• I did think that too lol, the right one is the danger one very close to the tendon, the left will be the one that takes time to heal as it’s over the knee.... thankfully no fractures.... i can’t even use my hands to push up on as they’re grazed to bugary too 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey Robert - not good at all!  Hopefully you’ll have a speedy recovery!

Those arrows remind me of something. Years ago I went to the GP as had a really bad eye infection, and it was really swollen.  Person at reception looked at me and immediately asked ‘what are you in for?’  I had to stop myself from saying ‘I’d hope it’s obvious!’ ;)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    This is why I love GHM 

Shades you can park at post bridge and card gets you discount at cafe and some retail and on site activities. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - OMG, sounds horrific and you're still smiling in that photo.   It must be painful now and difficult to walk/function, hope you've got some pain meds to take.  Admirable that you finished your parkrun.

Hope they sort you out today and you don't need too much patching up.   I find the arrows somewhat disconcerting too, will the surgeon be leaving his guide dog outside? ;)

I know you must be so frustrated but don't be angry with yourself, it can happen to anyone, just takes a micro second to glance away and trip, we've all done it.   

MrM2 - you'd need a bank loan now to pay for an entry to GSR, very pricey I believe.   I haven't done many 10 milers either, I think the last one was Portland 10 which is a lovely race.

Jelly - that is truly disgusting :angry:   I'd be horrified if my entry fee was paying for crap like that.  

6 miles this morning, nice morning, bit overcast. 
  • Now thats what i call an ice cream
    Went out on bike for a few miles yesterday morning and shoulder was aching a bit. I suspect its some sort of injury down to compressing into the shoulder which vaguely makes sense cos the godmonsters have a tendancy to jump on top of me.
    I get one of the three sunday coming for babysitting duties too.... I did have choice of the two who were not going to Southport to do the dance scholarship so picked the boy ;) Negates nappy changing.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, sensible choice there!

MrM2, your mention of Bruges piqued my interest. I love it there - I did Bruges marathon last year.

Shades, internet is down here at the moment (engineer coming this morning) so not easy to look/book races at the moment. Due to evident lack of fitness, I may keep my next marathon for August, but maybe book some shorter races in the lead up to that. I know there are a couple of halfs and 10ks coming up, so I may look at those.

Went and did a 3 mile recovery run today. Shoulder was ok, although there was a minor niggle in the right shin, but it went after half a mile.  

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jelly - Congrats on the course PB.
    Ian - Nice parkrun PB, hope the ankle is OK.
    Big G - Well done at the half.
    Rob - Bloody hell, take it easy, that looks nasty!
    15 miles for me on Saturday, then 3 mile recovery on Sunday followed by a 90 minute sweat fest on the turbo in the afternoon.
  • OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I did it!  :)

Not sure what came over me this weekend but I feel like I absolutely smashed it.
    My training really paid off and everything just clicked for the weekend.

Day One: Saturday 23.5 miles 2865 ft elevation, finish time 4hr:24min (Garmin/Official not Strava)

This was the hardest day due to the steep climbs, some sections were really steep almost hands & knees plus it was really hot. I started in the last wave to give myself a bit of extra time to get ready in the morning. This turned out to be a good idea because it slowed me down at the start due to course congestion plus on a mental aspect I was doing lots over overtaking. 
    Fluids and fuel was all planned the night before and worked really well, plus I carried my own which meant I minimised my time in the pit stops.
    By the finish I was feeling the effects of the heat, had some mild cramping in my calf and just felt exhausted. I was so glad to finish and just get in the shade. 

Saturday afternoon I got myself home, refuelled, hot bath and repacked ready for a 4am wake up.

Day Two: Sunday 30.9 miles 2645 ft elevation, finish time 5:41min (Garmin/Official not Strava)

Brilliant day. Started around 6:15am, legs were a little reluctant but that was ok as I walked/jogged the first few miles to warm up. Took it steady, marched up the big hills and got myself running again as soon as possible. Felt really strong and in control. No music and I felt fully focused on my body and the race in hand. Found myself repeatedly catching up the next group/individual ahead. Talking to some I realised I was passing some of the earlier starters and people who were only running the Sunday. I almost felt too good and I was worried something was going to go wrong, but it never did. After halfway I decided to up the pace slightly, that's when I realised the field was thinning out. I only stopped to take one photo and that was of the 50 mile marker. I looked at my watch and saw I was on the cusp of finishing in 10hrs total time. So some how I pushed on and managed a final 5k in 30mins. Crossed the line feeling strong, no cramps or anything. Really surprised myself.

In Total my official time was 10hrs 5mins.
    Slightly shocked but I finished 20th out of 446!  :)

Fair to say i'm on a runners high right now and my body doesn't feel too bad.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - can't imagine you nappy changing :o 

Steve  - it's starting to warm up isn't it.

Big G - bad news on the internet, hope it's fixed swiftly.  We all rely on it so much now.

Your lack of internet reminds me that when I ran through Compton yesterday a couple of houses had scarecrows in their gardens.   Best one was dressed as a BT engineer and positioned halfway up a telegraph pole with a sign on its back saying 'Wot no broadband'.   Was worth a photo but didn't have my phone on me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - xpost.   that's brilliant, I think maybe you've found that ultras are going to be your event.

That really is a great result and to be placed 20th overall for your debut, wow.   You really had your brain switched on to tackle the race.   Great photo too, you look so happy and relaxed.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, internet is all sorted. It’s been down all weekend so no Netflix or anything!  Not sure how I coped ;) I obviously used to work for Openreach so on the rare occasion I need to speak to someone face to face I do mention it. It was a lady engineer today - been on the job for 20 years, and the issue was a brand new one for her. Basically, someone has moved into OH’s old flat (just around the corner from new house, and served from the same BT cabinet), and somehow they took our number!  Bizarre. Sorted now though.

Well done OTB. A great pic and also a brilliant report and result. Very well done!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good news it's all fixed, you can go back to race hunting :) 

I'd like any July races to be added to the list this week, I was looking forward to seeing Robert's name on the list again but will need to wait until we hear how he got on today with his knees.  I've only got Robert's race and Keith at Solway Coast so far for July.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    OTB - As mentioned on Strava, that really was a superb run. I've done the first day a few years back when it was 26.5 miles, so know it's tough! Brilliant running and a superb placing too.
    Shades - Yeah, my run on Saturday morning was warm, even at 7am. But even with the patio door open, it was so warm on the turbo!!
    Thanks Shades and Big-G. I did really enjoy my first ultra. Not sure I could do 50 miles in one day though.

Jelly - Well done on your run and that ice cream is a monster!

Robert - Hope the knees recover quickly, they do look sore. Didn't know Panshanger was your local ParkRun. Next time I am at my parents for a weekend i'll try join you. I grew up in Welwyn.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-That is a brilliant result,how you done that over 2 days I don't know.
    Shades-I'm 50/50 about Solway,will decide in the next couple of weeks.
    Got out for a sticky 8 miles today,very humid here,due rain tomorrow which should clear it a bit.
    Steve - Thanks again. Lovely scenery along South Downs Way. I must go back for a walk up there one day to fully appreciate it.

Ian - Thanks, i'm still not 100% sure how I did that. Great experience. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, 99% sure I won't be doing any marathon in July.  I'll just try and build my fitness back up through July and early-August so I've entered a few shorter, local races that I will do instead.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - I don't think you'd have any problems moving up to a longer distance such as 50 miles, if you want to of course.

Ian - best to wait and see if that problem you had on Sunday with your achilles was just a blip before thinking about Solway

Big G - well at least July and August have less tempting marathons to do so ideal for your training period.
    Have you entered Ashburton 10k on 4th July?

Robert - how are you, have they patched you up?

7 miles for me this morning, overcast and one light shower of rain, very humid too.  Had a lovely run.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Holy crap, Robert - you must have really skinned them if you're getting a skin graft. Jeebers! :o
    OTB - amazing job!
    Jelly - hope you managed to eat that before it melted - it looks like an accident waiting to happen. (A delicious accident...but still). Well done on the course PB.
    Good running from everyone else, too. It's been disgustingly humid in London so well done for getting out in that.

As for me, trip to the doc yesterday followed by trip to the hospital for an x-ray. The technician said she wasn't a radiologist but she couldn't see anything obvious on the scan so fingers crossed I don't have a fracture. Anyway, taking a bit of time off to let everything settle. Which means I'm bored and grumpy but best to do it now rather than run into trouble later in the summer when I am supposed to be hitting my long runs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well that's good news that it doesn't look like a fracture.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, having not done it before, I was hoping to do Ashburton 10k, but the race is full.   They're accepting transfers but I don't expect I'll bother with that although I have entered Kingsbridge 10k again.

Cal, good news it appears not to be a fracture.  The technician for mine said she wasn't a radiologist but knew it was calcification.  She did say that she wished that she got feedback on how cases progressed, as she never gets to know the final outcome to any X-Ray she does.

I went along to the club last night just for the 5.5 mile social run.  Had a nice run out although shoulder was a bit tender, but appears okay again this morning.  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Good news that it isn't a fracture, good idea to rest up now rather than disrupt training later in the year.
    A wet and humid 10 miler this morning.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats the plan,it felt ok yesterday but started hurting a little near the end,feels better this morning.
    I also need a couple of good long runs to tell myself I'm good to go again,if not I may enter chester again,which is 3 weeks before frankfurt.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought maybe you weren't doing Ashburton as it's the day before the Erme Valley relays, which I think you're doing.  There's another race in September in Ashburton, if you're marathoning then you might want to add it to the considerations for next year's club champs if it becomes an annual event. I had an email re the 10k and this was on there...

On a separate note, this is a heads up to say that we will be organising a 7-mile mixed terrain race on Sunday 1st September at 10am. The race will start/finish at the Ashburton Outdoor Swimming Pool. After the race, runners will be able to have a free swim in the pool (its heated!). The race will be a mixture of road and trails around Ashburton. All proceeds from the race will go towards funding the pool. For background, the pool is run by local volunteers and is a registered charity. Entries will open next week. 

I've decided not to do Kingsbridge this year.

Ian - Chester would be a good pre Frankfurt race, you recover quickly so might be more useful to you than Solway, especially as your achilles is niggling a bit.

I see that there no longer will be a Wrexham marathon or half marathon.   Now will be a 10 mile and 20 mile races instead.   I never got round to doing the marathon, was tentatively pencilled in for next year but I had heard the course wasn't that great and the runners weren't that impressed with the floods this year which I think probably would have put a few off doing the marathon again there.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    You buy ice cream if you want one £3.50. You get tee shirt and buff and medal with race fee. You can have small ice cream if you wish.