Hanson's Marathon plan ending a week early...thoughts?

Im doing Berlin at end of September and as title says Im following Hanson's method. Like a retard I miscalculated the 18 weeks and it finishes on the 22nd September with the race being 29th.

Whats peoples thoughts on this? Do I repeat the 17th week giving me another 49 mile week and a week taper, have a two week taper or somewhere in the middle?

Week 17 is...

Mon - easy 7
Tues - 6x 1mile w/400m recovery
Wed - off
Thurs - 10m tempo
Fri - easy 6m
Sat - easy 6m
Sun - easy 8m

Week 18 taper is...

Mon - easy 5m
Tues - easy 5m
Wed - off
Thurs - easy 6m
Fri - easy 5m
Sat - easy 3m
Sun - race day

Cheers

Comments

• Hi Karl. Also doing Berlin following Hanson's. Having followed Hanson's for my last two marathons, and being very pleased with the readiness I felt on the start line, I would be loathe to mess around with the closing weeks of the schedule. If I were you, I'd look to add an extra week in - fairly easy- after week 10 before switching from the 'speed' to 'strength' workouts. Alternatively, if you've got a warm up race you could use an extra week there and have a mini taper.

Good luck!
  • > @bobdidmadrid said:
    > Hi Karl. Also doing Berlin following Hanson's. Having followed Hanson's for my last two marathons, and being very pleased with the readiness I felt on the start line, I would be loathe to mess around with the closing weeks of the schedule. If I were you, I'd look to add an extra week in - fairly easy- after week 10 before switching from the 'speed' to 'strength' workouts. Alternatively, if you've got a warm up race you could use an extra week there and have a mini taper.
    >
    > Good luck!

Not a bad shout, something along the lines of

Mon - Easy 4m
    Tues - Follow my clubs track session
    Wed - off
    Thurs - 8m tempo
    Fri - Easy 5m
    Sat - Easy 8m
    Sun - Easy 10m

?
  • Yeah, that looks good. Should set you up nicely for going hard at the last 8 weeks. Not long now. Feels like I've only just started but already well into week 5. I do enjoy the Hansons set up and find spreading the workload over 6 days 'easier' than 5 days and two days rest.
  • You on the advanced I take it? Im just following the beginner as although an experienced runner this is my first marathon.
    Looking forward to Berlin and crapping it at same time :smiley:
  • Yes, following the advanced. Berlin will be my 12th marathon and my third following the Hansons plan. It has helped me knock a good 6 minutes off and has allowed me to keep setting pb's well into my sixties (3:36). 
    First one is scary - its the fear of the unknown! However, get the training done, pace it sensibly and you'll really enjoy it. Your running experience and the miles built up over those years will also
    help greatly.

• fair play like, 3.36 at 60 is class!
    Im struggling pacing at minute as according to hansons I should be running a 3hr marathon but no way is that going to happen!!!!
  • Double your half time and add 10 minutes has always worked for me. Some of the predictors are way off and give some very unrealistic outcomes!
  • That puts it at 3.10 which isnt much better :smiley: Anything in and around 3.30 will be happy with for a 1st marathon!
  • Yes, always wise to add a bit extra on for the first one. 3:30 would be a good starting point then. Set off at 8 min miles/5 minkm and see how you feel at around 16 miles. You'll know by then how you are going and will still have plenty of time to pick it up a bit over the last 10 miles.