Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Reg; what a nasty fall and totally empathize with you. Hope you recover quickly and get back to the brilliant cycling form you showed in that TT last week.

Sounds very similar to my fall in Windsor in 2013, also caused by oil on the road. Like you my bike just went straight under me causing a fractured cheekbone, lots of blood loss and a 999 emergency ambulance trip to Wexham. Hope you recover quickly and it's got to be a good sign you're back on the bike so quickly. I ran a parkrun with my fractured cheekbone less than a week later and the day before they operated to re-set it, but didn't have your courage to get back on the bike so quickly. 

Ric; good to see you back fit and healthy and even racing again. Long may it continue. Yes I've been on Statins over 15 years now due to familial hypercholesterolaemia picked up on a company medical. They just don't bother me to be honest. I take one each night and never think about it much. I was only a fair weather runner back then and much less fit than now (probably averaged about 1 10k run a week) so don't know how they affects your analysis. Message me if you want any more info as the rest of the thread will be bored senseless if we keep it on here!

Good runs Simon (as ever) and Matt H (coming back nicely). Bus you seem in fine shape now after that solid block of training; time for some races? 

Just a parkrun for me last weekend and at 18'57 a bog standard one. Sort of stuck around that level now and don't need Ric to remind me of Einstein's quote as the reason😉
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well Pete, 18:57 is out of my range right now, so really I'd say (even Einstein) it's more of a 'if it isn't broken, why fix it?'.

I was never happy taking statins. Read somewhere that they blocked COq10 production which is needed for muscle function. So I started taking COq10.., and then stopped taking the statins. 

Had a laugh comparing the Strava read out of the race with a guy in my club - a former 2 minute 800m runner.

He opened up a gap on me Km by Km until about 6k when he was 22 second ahead. One km later the gap was 3 seconds. Then within sight of the finish he shot off. Obviously.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Blimey Reg - that sounds painful. Hopefully nothing serious and you can get back out soon. Was the bike OK? Puncture ad the end was quite literally rubbing insult into injury!!!
  • Yes Reg - Hope you are back running again soon, sounded nasty. Good to be getting back on the bike soon, few crashes and I would have binned that lark tbh.

The psychology on Saturday was the usual. 'This is hard...I'm hot...why am I doing this?..could be sat in a beer garden...ok it going alright....when does this stretch f**king finish??...nearly there...oh yeah that's why I do it..'

...along those lines anyway ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how you cyclist fellas do it. You are simply beholden to others seeing you, not being idiots, and the hazards that are much more minor for drivers are multiplied in threat!

Luckily, as probably mentioned at least 3 times in this 9 year thread - I never learnt - I can't cycle, so no risk here!

Horribly humid again - like being in some sort of air swimming pool. Vest off by mile 1 or so - couldn't take any more off unfortunately.

The weather is probably masking the monitoring of the comeback, but 7.15 43.30ish for this 6mile route, which I'd probably do 42.30ish when 100% and normal conditions.

7.15 is obviously fine for a route with a few gradual climbs anyway, but you know us runners!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    As a cyclist I tend to pick routes which avoid anything with speed limits over 40 mph. It's the speed differential that's the problem. Vehicles going past at 50 mph plus I can do without. I tried the Tring-bypass once. Won't do that again.

I'm not scared of riding bikes on the road though. I reason that drivers; even idiots with issues, would rather avoid the hassle that goes with wiping out a cyclist, especially as cyclists these days aren't exactly unexpected on the roads.

Long run this morning. Felt comfy in the humidity. 

I ran this route (20 miles) back in December. Today I averaged 30 seconds per mile faster noting that my average stride length was 6.5% longer than it was back then.

There's another race on Sunday. Thinking about it.

🙂

• 20 miles? You doing another marathon? Mr Finill been on at you?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:

Long run this morning. Felt comfy in the humidity. 

my average stride length was 6.5% longer than it was back then.

Ric's back everyone.

Never change old son :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    20 miles? You doing another marathon? Mr Finill been on at you?

Do keep up son.
    Norfolk relays, 3am 20mile leg!

Ric's if anything, cheating, by doing it in the day time  ;)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the sympathy, I am considering trying a run tonight but the hip still doesn't feel right. To be fair this was purely between me and the road itself but I suppose it was a car depositing the fuel on the road.

Getting back on the bike is not a problem for me but I have been a little more tentative on it since. It takes a while before one returns to normal. I almost got taken out by one of those awful Toyota Hilux things with a trailer this morning, overtaking me on a hill with a bend on a narrow B road. He pulled in not far further up so I also pulled in and had a little chat with him!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I bet he blamed you though Reg! One of the rules of the road - whatever happens, it's the cyclist's fault (even when some eejit pedestrian on their phone walks out right in front of you!).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have been scared witless that some goon was going too fast behind, and couldn't stop as you were sprawled over the road  :open_mouth:
    Thankfully...not.

I don't like seeing cyclists on the road. 
    I just fear for their safety, as they're so vulnerable, and all it takes from them is a momentary lapse of concentration, or for a car to not look when turning.

While I slow down to a ridiculous trawl, and wait until it's super safe to pass, I dare say that's nowhere near standard cyclist procedure for many.

Slough has to be one of the most cyclist friendly areas in one way - all roads on the trading estate have cycle lanes. But you see loads on the pavements. I certainly don't blame them, still having the sight of a poor old guy on the road last October, ending his days a mere 100 metres from his work place - that just added to the tragedy
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    As a driver I'm aware that the view we have of a cyclist ahead, gives the impression of there being not enough room to pass, when in reality there's plenty.

There's also the probability that the cyclist is fully aware of the vehicle following, so if the pass is made, it's not really a surprise to the guy on the bike.

With the exception of open sided lorries, I don't mind cars etc coming alongside, since if they are going about the same speed, I'll just slide along their nearside doors if they get too close.

The exception are those that go past, fast, and close. Those drivers have mental issues. Let someone else deal with them. They'll meet one of their own one day - just not be there when it happens.

It doesn't happen often where I go though, but I do tend to keep to set routes. Choosing the time to go out is also a factor.

Taking the piss by exerting one's rights to use the road isn't much use long term. That's why Sunday afternoon is one 'no-go' time for me. Not only have drivers been annoyed by cyclists blocking the road all day, but also might have lost at football, and, have to go to work the next day as well.

I'd rather not be the final straw, since it will be my back broken, not the camels.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Take it easy Reg. These aren't the months that are meant to be dangerous on the roads!

Weather has gone a bit silly hasn't it, with sillier to come apparently.

Funny old country we live in.

Seamless rejoining of the thread Ric. Like you've never been gone :)

Yes SG, I've been on holiday, though I must admit, the hotel was a bit strange.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    The Bus said:
    I bet he blamed you though Reg! One of the rules of the road - whatever happens, it's the cyclist's fault (even when some eejit pedestrian on their phone walks out right in front of you!).

He was actually very apologetic and said he misjudged it because his trailer was full of bricks. I did preface my complaint with " I know that I am an inconvenience and slowed you down but there's a chance you might kill me going past with only two feet to spare and a trailer to which I may be oblivious." What drivers fail to appreciate is that a cyclist may have to move out to avoid a pothole or as happens a lot, a darting squirrel.
  • The Bus said:

Oh god don’t get me started on that one again
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Had that too once Reg; some tw.t overtaking me very close just when I spotted a pothole. Couldn't move out as you normally would, as he would have wiped me out, so just had to ride over the pothole and hope for the best. Very scary. Picked up the inevitable puncture but was sure glad that was the only consequnce! 

Agree with SG on crazy humidity levels today. Just need more rain even though we have had loads in June already. 
  • Fresher weather today...but as usual, we get a bit of wind with the lower temperature, can't win. You can tell a track race is imminent. Start lists here if anyone interested, decent quality.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a3299c56957daa7a4761e00/t/5d129e7d6a2d790001476c14/1561501309650/3000m+Night+2019+FINAL+FINAL+START+LISTS+11PM+TUESDAY.pdf

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Matt - Excellent race and report, definitely trending in the right direction!

Reg - Hope the hip sorts itself out soon, sounds nasty

Welcome back Ric!

Simon - Great work on the relay leg course record! Good luck tonight, the A race looks pretty tasty.

Just easy running since last Thursday, things seem to have clicked with my form feeling really good and an increase in pace for the same HR. Session of 3 x 2mile off 2 mins tonight. First one at HMP then the last two at 10k pace

• Cheers SW - Report (what I can remember)

Great event this - get there on time for a change, warm up feels a little laboured, also it's cool and quite breezy which is a bit annoying. There's trees all around the track, so fingers crossed.

Line up and it's quite busy as we are set off. Feeling OK and the wind is not too bad, bit gusty now and again. Aiming for 71's if poss, and if I can try and keep to that then it gives me 7.5 secs to play with to get sub 9.. First lap through in 74 argh! a little boxed but we speed up a bit, but still outside 9 at 2 laps with 2.25. Decide to go out and around to get through to the 2nd group and run with them for a couple of laps, think the splits were 3.36 and 4.48, so dead on 9 pace. Then feel that I'm getting a bit quicker so push on up to the first three and go through 5 laps on 6.00, again 9 min pace. This helps as I'm upping it a bit now - can't remember 6 laps but hit the bell on 7.46. Bit worrying as in my battle with Dachs at Watford a couple of years ago I went through in 7.40 and struggled with a 75 last lap.

Thankfully, I manage a 72 this time and end up with 8.58.6. End up in 4th as the others kept their noses in front. Well happy with that, as it was breezy and a bit choppy, as compared to a calm, metronomic Watford type procession. Thought I was top of the V45 rankings, although sadly Declan Reed is now in my age group and recently ran 8.45! Hey ho.

Spoke to Mick Hill, the Leeds guy who beat me in the mile who had come down for the day. Great event, beer and Caribbean food etc etc. Would highly recommend it next year to anyone interested.

• Thread killer!

Here's the race off youtube!! clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoTB2YtQ7cA

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Excellently paced Simon! I'll give the race a watch later, saw some footage of Owen Hind winning the A race.

Session went well last night: 12.20, 11.51, 11.50 for the 2m reps. Legs were really heavy for the last rep, thought I was going to blow up half way through! Pleased to be able to dig in and finish fast in the end.
  • Oh it's thrill a minute mate ;)

Good session - well done for digging in! As usual, started looking at other races on Youtube. Watched the 5,000m from Rome in 2003, one of the races where Bekele and El-Guerrouj were competing at the top end, the 1500m man coming into the longer distance. Didn't realise that a very young Kipchoge was in the mix too!

Three greatest runners of all time in the same race?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    That almost had the look of a proper race report there Simon ;)
    Can't believe you're putting in a mere 74 first lap :) Even SG put in a 70 in his last 3k!

SW - Solid stuff. I certainly wouldn't fancy more than a mile at 10k pace.

Ticking over myself - will have done a 5 & 4 easy today, to take me to 37 miles Mon to Thur. Bit more like it, compared to last week's 32.5mile total.

Tomorrow I'll dip back into speed work.

Weighing up whether to storm in hard, fast and short, something like 8x400 off 2mins, or to ease back in with something like 3 or 4 x1mile progressive off 90secs.

Maybe 6ish, 5.50, 5.40,5.30 miles or something.

What do people think?

Next week could well be a Tue 5k turnout, and slightly further relay leg at the weekend - so no opportunity for sessions as such then
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SG - you definitely wouldn't fancy next week's session then! 8 x 1k off 90s at 5k pace on the track. 

I'd probably lean towards the progressive miles for the session rather then smashing out the short stuff
  • Reg, sorry to hear about your hip - like you say, not a lot you can do when you start to go apart from try to land right. I broke my collarbone on a slippery manhole cover when going around a corner a few years back. It wasn't that I put my arm out to catch myself, but rather my shoulder took all the impact.

Good to see you back Ric, and well done on the 5mi. Glad to hear you're seeing some improvements after stopping the statins.

Nicely done SC - shame about the tardy (relatively speaking) first lap, I guess it must be pretty hard to judge! Heading out a few seconds too slow is always better than heading out too fast, mind.

Tidy session there SW - you're definitely in a strong place. Do you do static or jog/cruise recoveries?

SG, I'm definitely be cautious and go for a more relaxed reintroduction to sessions - progressive miles sounds good, or a short (5km) ~HM tempo with something like 5 x 1min at ~5km-10km at the end. Puts in some solid work, and gives an opportunity to turn the legs over.

Been a blank week running-wise for me. Despite running well on Saturday, and getting a long run in on Sunday, I've felt absolutely zonked - not sure what's going on, but hoping the energy levels return for the weekend.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Matt I tend to do static recoveries, maybe walk about a little bit to stop the legs seizing up.
  • Hope you feel better soon MH, I felt buggered from Saturday’s relay leg, but felt ok when I started doing the warm up reps. 

SG Yes got a little boxed in at the start. Nice to put a video in to see if the report matches up! Looking back on the video I was pleased to  make that burst to get up to the top group. 

Interesting chat with one of my HHH lot about recovering from sessions. He does back to back days so the legs don’t have time to ‘realise’ they are screwed. Wondering if there’s some truth in it myself! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ta chaps. Will go for the mile progressions. Will decide on 3 or 4 in due course.

Sc -  back to back sessions strikes me as a world of pain.
    But doing something substantial the day after seems good logic to work off tired legs.
    Moz always gave me say a 10 the day after a tue sesh for eg.
    And im sure marathoners often do a similar sort of thing at times
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    "ease back" is the key SG :smile: Go for 4, but at a slower oace than you nromally would.

Nice work Simon - impressive speed once again!!!

That last 2M rep is also impressive SW - good work for hanging on in.

I had a totally bizarre dog rage incident tonight on my way home tonight. Running downhill through a field on a public footpath I spotted a guy in front of me who had a little terrier type thing off the lead a bit further down the hill. I shouted a cheery "evening" to him to let him know I was coming past. He moved to one side to let me past, and said something about his dog. I shouted back that I had headphones in and couldn't hear him - bearing in mind this was downhill, and I was probably doing around 7mM pace and wasn't intending stopping. All good-natured enough, but at this point his stoopid pooch decided to come racing towards me, growling and yapping and looking determined to take a chunk out of my leg! So, my response, as it got close, was to punt it away with my foot - not quite a full-on kick, but enough to make it think twice and back off. At this point, the bloke ran at me swearing and shouting for me to stop, which I did.

What made the whole thing bizarre though was not his anger - that's all too common with some dog woners, but that, not to put too fine a point on it, the guy was a midget - I don't mean just a small bloke, I mean what is technically known as "proportionate dwarfism" I believe. He clearly wanted to get physical with me, and I found myself in the highly unusual situation of someone squaring up to me who I am bigger than! I actually had to hold him back, then push him away so he couldn't take a swing - he was frothing at the mouth angry!  After an exchange of words, with him insisting his dog had every right to be off the lead attacking people, and that he himself had every right to attack me in turn if I had the audacity to defend myself and kick his dog, and me pointing out the law about dogs being under control in public blah, blah, blah, the dog decided to run off, downhill, toward the road. He took off after it, and I'm somewhat ashamed to say, I found this quite an amusing sight - particularly as I also had to run down the same slope, as I was in a hurry to get home to see my daughter before she headed off to her post A level prom. I caught up with him at a gate by a road, and pointed out that his dog wouldn't now be at risk of being run over if it had been on a lead!  He didn't accept my well-reasoned argument, and decided to get physical again, trying to slam me into the gate. At this point, I'd had enough, so grabbed hold of him, dragged him into the road, told him (in rather robust language!) that he was a total nut-job. I then pushed him off after his dog! I then watched, perplexed and amused, for about a minute as he disappeared at full-pelt down this little country lane shouting for his dog, quite literally as fast as his little legs would carry him - usually a phrase reserved for me. It was a very odd sight, and for all I know, he could still be chasing after the thing now!

All very weird!