Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Options
    Hey all,

Keeping an eye on this thread but I'll admit it's tough reading about all the awesome running that's being done - it's a jealously/bitterness kinda thing ;)

Been away too long to Congratulate all you folks individually for your impressive numbers, but I would like to empathise with all those managing/resting wee niggles - I feel your pain.

Managed to run my 10Ks - but struggled mightily through them even though I was about 6 minutes off my best pace from last year. I would honestly rank my season's best 10K this year higher (in terms of pure effort) than last years PB - I had nothing left.

No races now until September's Glasgow Half Marathon, hoping to just settle in to a regular pattern of running again and avoid the TMTS syndrome - but I'm an idiot so I can't promise myself anything. Got another blood test coming up, we'll see if I'm over the anemia soon (must admit I feel better) just the same wee stupid ankle injury that just won't go away.

Anyhow, enough from me ... hope I'm around and posting more often.

02 May - 4.65m
    05 May - 4.65m
    09 May - 6.21m (Helensburgh 10K) (51:48)
    13 May - 4.65m
    16 May - 6.21m (Dumbarton 10K) (49:48)
    20 May - 3.3m
    26 May - 6.21m (Shettleston 10K) (51:17)
    30 May - 5.85m
    05 Jun - 5.85m
    10 Jun - 4.95m
    12 Jun - 6.6m
    14 Jun - 3.3m
    16 Jun - 6.21m (Glasgow Mens 10K) (50:12)
    22 Jun - 6.21m (Loch Lomond 10K) (50:10)

YTD: 201.75m
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Interesting thought whilst at the parkrun on Saturday. Visiting family in Ipswich and run an unfamiliar route. Within moments I'd lost track of how long I'd been running and how far I may have covered. I always either run at events where they' have distance markers, a parkrun I'm familiar with which has three laps or have a garmin watch on so know distance covered. Saturday I'd literally no idea whether i'd covered 1km or had 1 km left! It was quite bizarre. 

Wanted to name check Stephen: lovely to see your name again and it sounds like you're on the road to recovery which is great. Those 10ks don't look to bad either. 

Ytd: 527.0
  • Options
    Welcome back Steven!

23.6 6.1
    24.6 3.34
    25.6 7.05

YTD 986.89 miles

• Options
    Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Donnie2, to be honest I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had anything like 8min/mile pace for 10K ... but they really took it out of me. Recovery between runs has been tough, ankle grumbly and just feeling wiped out. I had a wicked tooth abscess about three weeks ago and running whilst it was throbbing was no fun at all. But I'm very glad I did the races, gave me some much-needed focus.
    Dubai, getting really close to the 1000 I see - you gonna get it done in under 6 months? Excellent work mate.
    Nice run out this morning - dodging the night-time drizzle and the afternoon heat. No pain to report today!
    25 Jun - 5.85m
    YTD: 207.6 Miles
  • Options
    Steven, hoping to complete the 1000 before the end of the month.

No run today, had my annual aviation medical this morning. Doctor says I can tell from your legs that you're still running, had to exercise a bit to raise my pulse for ECG, nurse asked if I exercise as my pulse was 40, she was a bit worried. 

Glad to see the miles are keeping me healthy, there's nothing better than running. My wife flew home yesterday for her sisters partners funeral, he was only 41 , heart attack. Makes one think and value fitness.

• Options
    And meant to ask, has anyone run the Comrades marathon in South Africa? Maybe Harmander?
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    No, Dubai, not run Comrades, and never likely to, too hot and too far, both from me and the actual distance! But noticed a good race report in the Comrades thread by thomasclowes that gives a lot of advice.

https://running.org/articles/categories/race-reports/comrades-marathon-2019-the-race-and-the-place

Back in my world, hols and tummy bug means June has been a NoGo re running so just pleased to touch the 500 before the month end, YTD  503.65
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭

Oh, and medicals, Dubai, yeah, always get askance glance from the Nurse when she checks my BP/HR and then the offer of statins. (Politely refused while thinking FO)

Just goes to show that prescribing according to the national averages rather that the actual reality of a relatively fit person in front of them is just daft!
  • Options
    senidM I've read his report and been lurking on that thread. I have lots of saffer friends who dont consider you a runner until you've run Comrades, none of them have but they are Ironman triathletes.

I used to have an Aussie aviation doctor who was a runner and understood!!

• Options
    So knowing I had exactly a half marathon to run this morning to reach the 1000, that was my plan. Dropped my sons at school at 0730 but it was already 41 degrees. Headed out to see how I got on, funnily think I could have done it but wouldn't have been sensible.

Cal - be careful, watching sky news and they say a heatwave is on the way for the uk 

27.6 8.48

YTD 995.37 miles - 1000 tomorrow inshallah!

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Well done Dubai, on the 1000, very impressive...obviously not as good as Harmander but well done all the same.

Great you're back on it Steven, good work and well done on 500 SenidM.

Had our monthly Club Summer Handicap (nearly 5k) last night...that was a bit warm (nothing like what you're getting Dubai) managed to come 2nd in 18:04...I'll take that because I really don't like 5ks.

New shoes seem to be working well so hoping to reach 700 by the end of the month 688 miles YTD

• Options
    Hobie, we're all playing catch up to Harmander! and a very impressive 5k time.

Well finally passed the 1000 today, small fist pump to celebrate as I passed 4.63 giving the 1000.

28.6 6.12

YTD 1001.49 miles

• Options
    And it's great having Steven back but where's Little Nell and Andrew?

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone...
    Dubai...Congrats on passing 1000'.Your running seems to be going really well! Wonder how many of us have that little look over on the Comrades thread; always leaves me with a secret wish to have a go. Then I come to my senses and think that it would be a long way to go, and a lot of expense, if you weren't confident.
    Cal...sorry that you are having a chain of problems at the moment. Hope that things will soon clear up.
    Hobie...Great result on your 5k handicap! And knocking on the door of 700'!
    senidM...Well done on passing 500' . Sorry that your running has not gone well this month.
    Steven...Well done on the 10k runs, and for keeping on when things are difficult. Know exactly what you mean by TMTS, so try to be patient and look forward to Glasgow.
    Harmander...Out of sight!!!

After two weeks of no running some of my Ab/inner leg muscles are feeling quite a bit happier, but now the foot has joined in, with PF symptoms! Hope that is as far as things will go! A second visit to the physio, and some more stretch/mobility routines to follow, morning and evening. Any return to normal running seems to be a long way off. A couple of days ago I did try a tentative 'jog' on the treadmill after a walking warm-up; just 1min jog/1min walk (x4) but as with Steven, TMTS could head me off in the wrong direction.
    Hope you can all get out and enjoy a little bit of what is 'normal' for Dubai!
  • Options
    Congratulations on the 1000 Dubai Runner. It would take me twice the running time it has taken you.
    You guys give me too much credit for my plodding.
    Comrades runners are in a different league that is beyond me. Only know of one colleague who has done it, although got several who have done MDS (Marathon Des Sables).
    2 x 13.71 milers this week makes my 
    YTD = 1369.14 miles

• Options
    Harmander/ MrM2 - I've been reading quite a bit about Comrades, I sort of feel it's now or never, plus training through a Middle East winter should help. I just need to find hills, this will involve driving to the east of the country to the Hajar mountains that run down into Oman. But a dip afterwards in the Indian Ocean should help.

Durban is still a 7 hour flight for me, I try to fly business class as much as possible so at least I'd have a flat bed. Would just need to avoid the onboard martinis. 

Anyway lots of time to think about it.

Harmander, the thing that puts me off MDS is the fact that you have to carry your food which means being hungry all week and eating rehydrated food.
  • Options
    Dubai Runner - you wrote:

the thing that puts me off MDS is the fact that you have to carry your food which means being hungry all week and eating rehydrated food.

very similar to marriage lol
  • Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done on passing 1000 already,Dubai,fantastic achievement.

Hobie,well done on the 5k time,superb running.

Well done,Steven on all of your 10k's and passing 200.

19.06 - 5

23.06 - 8

24.06 - 17.62

25.06 - 4.6

26.06 - 6.77

27.06 - 8.34

28.06 - 8

YTD - 799.52 miles - damn if I knew I was only half a mile short yesterday!

• Options
  • Options
    6.45 miles at 0530

YTD 1007.94 miles

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Think we were in a unique place in the UK today...misty and nice and cool...lovely conditions to do a nice 7 miles including a bit of coast path trail.
    700 miles YTD
  • Options
    Congrats on the 700 Hobie!

Just had time for a 3.15 miler this morning

YTD 1011.09 miles

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done Hobie on reaching 700.

Much cooler today, out for an easy 6.24 miles.

YTD - 805.76 miles

• Options
    Well done on the 800 JD1
    Did a 13.30 mile parkrun sandwich yesterday and a 13.71 LSR today making my
    YTD = 1396.15 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    So we've reached the mid point, a fair few from the early pages quickly fell by the wayside, and others such as Nell and Andrew remain much missed but perhaps they'll be seen again, I hope so. 

I'm happy with my numbers. Assuming I remind injury free, I should hit the challenge. Target two was to exceed last years number  (1092) and target three was 1200, 100 per month. Time will tell. 

Main event since last update is 22.19 at my parkrun, a frustrating 1 second away from a pb. 

Ytd: 544.7

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Sure you'll bag that pb soon,Donnie.
    Thanks,Harmander.
    1.07 - 8.1
    YTD - 813.86 miles
  • Options
    Congrats on passing 800 JD1

1.7 5.78
    2.7 7.67

YTD 1024.54 miles

• Options
    JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dubai
    2.07 - 5
    YTD - 818.86 miles
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Great work passing 800 JD.

Club hilly trail run on coast path tonight...oddly ended in local pub for a wee refreshment. 

714 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey folks. Well, in the end I was pretty much forced to rest because my body decided to stage an intervention in the form of a bout of shingles. Since I knew immediately what it was I was able to get to the docs the next day and start the meds, so I'm pretty much over it now. The left foot has calmed down (I did go for an x-ray, and nothing was fractured thankfully) but achilles is still a bit grumpy despite me not doing much beyond yoga.
    However, I've managed to get out for a tentative two miles this morning. I didn't feel sluggish so I'm hopeful I can get back to it, provided I managed the achilles as much as I can.

YTD: 857