My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD, I did four before my best marathon, Chester (three of those were 21ers. The other should have been but I had tummy issues!)
    Great news, alipat.

I'm taking some time out to rest and heal up. Got my foot x-rayed yesterday - hopefully it isn't fractured but I want to be sure. Now I have to figure out how to keep myself fit while I'm not running. I don't bike or have a gym membership and I hate swimming. Eh.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the speedwork Molliemasha - hope the knee holds up well. 

Good long run JD.  They do take a bit of getting used to.   At some point I would recommend pushing through the last bit that you planned (unless you are in real pain from an injury that is).   That is what the long run training is also about - getting yourself prepared mentally for those last few miles when everything is saying stop!  A recommendation I have read several times is to get as close to 100 miles as you can within your 5 longest runs (e.g. 5 x 20 miles or a mix of below 20 to up to 22 miles).  I have usually done the latter but not reached the 100 miles yet in any training round I don't think.  

That is great news alipat.  Definitely nice and easy for now. 

Any parkruns near to you LTT?  Would at least give you some fast running in company.

Hope you get some results soon Cal.  Difficult call on the cross training.  Any chance of getting your hands on a home trainer (borrow, buy 2nd hand?)  Might stress the foot though. 

A bit short of 7 miles for me this morning - out before breakfast again due to the heat (no group outing this evening - not in 35 degrees, thanks).  The woods next to where I live have a nice undulating trail so I ran 5 loops of that.  Took one loop to get going but after that got settled in nicely - running the downs swiftly and shuffling the (sometimes steep) ups.  Met a dog walker and 2 other runners.  Pretty quiet other than the birds singing.  Sweated a lot.  
  • alipat1990alipat1990 ✭✭✭
    Hope the X-ray comes back all clear Cal. Hopefully it's no more than a sprain.

I got out for a gentle 4 miles after work today. Decided to try out a new route that leads down into Burbage common and woods. I will definitely head back there to do a bit more exploring on a longer run and when the ground is a bit drier! My knee felt good again but boy were my quads tight after Sunday's run. 
    Plenty of stretching Ali.  Always nice to try out a new route and like it.

Another pre breakfast run today: 5 miles at recovery pace taking in the local fields and a small wood.   Already 25 degrees and humid.  Effort felt ok but I sweated a lot.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks ali, good your knee isn't hurting.
    The good thing is that the x-ray confirmed that I am fracture-free. The bad news is that shingles has reared its ugly, itchy head again. Back to the docs I went this morning and am now on meds for the next week. Yay.
  • I did a trail run!! After 5 months of threatening to.

If I turn left out of my house it goes into pretty much suburbia interspersed with the odd park, public space etc, with a host of different loops and laps from 3 to 12 mile. Pleasant enough, but I've named every snail by now. A well-worn path for sure. However if I turn right there is countryside!  The downside is a mile each way gauntlet of fast, bendy, country lane with no pavement..

Well I survived that bit, anyway! Not fun though. (Going to get a flouro vest quick)  and then took pot luck. By chance I found a decent loop that incorporated vast waist-height wheat fields, two farms (one with cows, one with ancient decaying farm machinery) 2 big hills, a long length of bridlepath, almost fully overgrown, and open countryside. It was only a 3.5 mile loop but felt really far! I'm going to try and use this loop often as it was a very welcome change even though I'm stung, bitten and scratched! 

Saw a small brown owl which I didn't even know existed, (A little owl apparently, and often seen in daylight) I've only seen Barn owls.

Glad your foot isn't fractured Cal that's great news. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

Nice field run Hazlenut, I know what you mean about the humidity, I didn't look to appealing on return. Thank goodness for my water bottle belt.

Glad things are heading in the right direction alipat.

Left hip hurts since the half marathon. Hope that disappears.

edited June 2019
    :/ to the shingles Cal.  Get well soon.  Good news on the foot.

Seems you enjoyed that LTT :D - maybe have a cast around for a way to avoid that lane?  You could dump the fluoro vest in a hedge on your way out and recollect it for the return.   Good owl spot!  Hope the hip improves soon and is just a niggle.

10 miles for this week's long run (cut back week - very conveniently coinciding with the heatwave).  I am slowly getting used to the temperatures and humidity which is a good thing as the heatwave will continue until Monday at least.   I appreciated every bit of shade I ran through and also a farmer's water trough for a good wallowing (water is clean and cold).  Some lovely cornflowers on the edge of a wheat field to look at.

Not particularly looking forward to Sunday's hill race.   At leat the road which they need to transport material up and down and runners back down has collapsed meaning that they have changed the route and significantly reduced the amount of up.  Won't be a PW in that case.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal,good news about the foot but the shingles sucks,hope it clears up soon.

Nice run,alipat,it's great to explore new routes.Good news about the knee.

That sounds like a nice trail run,Linton,just avoid the wheat field when harvesting!Running on busy country roads isn't fun though.Nice little owl spot as well.

Hazelnut,would love to see you wallowing in a water trough!Warm and sunny today but it has lost the humidity which was very welcome.

8.34 miles this afternoon.Ran up to castle Dinas Bran,just over 1000ft climb.Plenty of lesser spotted walkers up there.Let the brakes off coming down so I'll most probably have sore quads tomorrow.

Left glute is sore again so it's been back to rolling it and ibrufon when I want to push the pace.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Blimey you go away for a few days and it all happens!

Alipat, very pleased to hear your good news and that you're back on the roads again :-)

Cal, you're definitely in the wars. I used to work for the company that invented acyclovir (the main shingles treatment). I seem to recall that it's most likely to recur when your immune system is a bit compromised, which running can do. I hope it clears up quickly. Hopefully by then the foot will be better too. I bet you have the proper grumps.

JD1, I looked up the castle. What a spectacular place to run, if a bit hilly for me. 

Hazel, consistent as ever. Good luck with your hill run. 

Linton, congrats on taking the blue pill, sounds like a more enjoyable run, nice to have a bit of variation, but the snails will miss you. I have Regents Park/Primrose Hill left and Hampstead Heath right. I think I choose right once in every 20 runs, even though it's far more interesting. Guess it's the uphill start that puts me off.

I hope your longer/faster run went well Mollie.

Not much to report here, a nice fast finish (30 mins) run this morning. A disappointing trip to Lord's on Tuesday and a couple of foundation runs. No major mileage. It'll be a recovery run tomorrow in prep for my 10:15 10k race start at the Olympic Velopark on Saturday. I know I mentioned it already, but I am cursed with heat in races! A day either side and I'd be fine.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Linton, good running in the wilds. Get better Cal.
    A 20min fast treadmill run a few days ago when it was wet and cold. Yesterday in the heat meant to do something like an easy pace 14miles to get some stamina back. Managed 11.5, even then split in two. Tired from the very start but took a rest at 9.5. Pace just below 8min/mile so it shouldn't have been an issue - at least it wouldn't have been previously. Blame the weather, which is varying by 10 degrees from day to day here. Slate grey sky again this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk - interesting. The drug's doing its job - the shingles patch is starting to harden and is less itchy now. The worst thing today is my groin is sore where the lymph nodes have popped up.
    I've been doing yoga this week but am not sure about going today since the shingles is on the top of my bum (next to the sacrum) so lying on my back is pretty uncomfortable. I've also been feeling quite poorly since yesterday so running is the last thing I feel the urge to do.
    I had shingles not long after Manchester last year and managed to recover enough to do Liverpool so I think I'll be feeling much better in a few days. Really not looking forward to tomorrow's heat bomb, though.
    JD I also just looked up Dinas Bran. Looks like an interesting place. Hope the quads survived the descent.

Hope the 10k went well enrvuk and it wasn't too hot.

Stamina will be back soon JT.

Definitely time for a break if you are not feeling well Cal. Hope you are surviving the heat.

Around 4.5 miles recovery this morning with some strides, felt a bit sluggish but often do after a rest day.  Jogged past a trailer full of sheep waiting for a fence to be installed which caused a minor panic and saw one fox.  Also visited the local farm shop for fresh bread for breakfast - yumm!

Have a good weekend!
  • Couple of enjoyable runs here.  Last night a lap of my newly discovered countryside trail loop.  All very pleasant, but warm! Tried an add-on bit across a field but it was too rutted and impossible to run on. Maybe 4 miles.  

This morning was Parkrun mission! I haven't been to Pegwell Bay for 2 months and have done getting on for 200 miles training since then so maybe a PB? Maybe? My PB is 21:49.
    I went and found the 21 minute pacer. A nice lad and told him I would try and keep with him for a PB. He went off a bit quick and after the first of two equal laps I was a thrashed, gasping, exhausted wreck! I looked at my watch and it said 9:30!!
    I had aspirations of going sub 20 but predictably crashed in the second lap.  Still finished 16 of 238 / 2nd vet 40 male and 20:53.Well pleased with that. 6.7 minute miles. Went and found the 21 pacer to say thanks. Found out later he ran a 19:32!!!

I hope you feel better Cal, my niece had shingle it didnt look fun. Rest and get well soon.

Nice recovery run Hazlenut!  Farm shop sounds nice! I always stop to get milk from dairies when I pass them at work.  Good luck for hill run sunday.  Warm for sure.

Impressive run JT both in pace an distance. I wanted to go out for a double digit one tomorrow AM. I'm a bit concerned about the heat. The obvious answer is to go early, but a 5:30 alarm doesn't sound appealing this week.

Quickly looked at where you ran JD. Just epic. I dream of running like that in the southeast.  I'm going to Cornwall on holiday in a month and am going to do some coastpath runs. My legs aren't going to know what's hit them!! Will have to go carefully.

Have a nice weekend.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great 5k running Linton.
    11.2miles yesterday late afternoon in 1hr28. Tired from the start but at least no stopping this time. Settled into a very consistent pace eventually which is good news. Busy around and about.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant run, Linton! Especially in this heat.
    I'm starting to feel a little better but it will take a while for the shingles to clear. Doing some marshalling in the meantime.
  • Boom, Linton! Superb run.

Sounds like you're getting back there, JT.

Glad you're feeling better, Cal.

No running to report from me, but my boy Nye completed his 50th Junior Parkrun this morning, whilst I was timekeeper. Proud times. I went trampolining this avo, with the kids. Nearly broke my bloody neck. Just finalising my Mara training plan, which starts next Saturday.  Being lazy till then - resting the bod!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cracking 5k time,Linton.Didn't know they had pacers at some parkruns.

Nice run,JT,that's a good pace.

Cal,good news you're starting to feel better.Must be bloody awful in this heat.

Will,well done to your boy on 50 parkruns.I wouldn't trust myself on a trampoline these days,seen a few accidents many years ago when I used to do it.

Just an easy 6.24 miles today but my mileage this week is 51.57 which is the most I've done in a  very long time.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Very nice run Linton, that's a very sharp PB.

JT, loooong and quick. I think we'd have a good race if you did miles and I did KMs :-)

Cal, pleased to hear you're on the mend. Painful and frustrating, but very cool that you did some marshalling. That's a special member of the community.

Will, well done to your lad. That is some achievement. I wish my nephew had some of the drive. Fortnight 1 Running 0 in that corner though.

JD, that is very impressive mileage. What is it your training for again?

So I did my recovery run on Friday, nice and easy, but I eventually decided that 25-28c was too hot for my 10k. It wouldn't have ended well. Instead I did an 11k HR zone 2 run, but started 2 hours earlier. I enjoyed it, but was frustrated at missing out on a chance to break 60 mins on a nice flat course. I did get to see some camels as well as the usual ZSL crew.

After some marinating, salad making and what not, we went up to my sister's for a BBQ and around 5-6 beverages in, she suggested the Little Canfield Farm Fitness 10k for the following morning. My heat curse couldn't kick in that quickly, so we eased up (not stopped) on the drinking and were up earlyish with her husband to give it a go. 

It was a trail run, which isn't my thing, still quite warm (21c) and a bit of an undulating, if not hilly course. Dry grass is a tough surface and I found it hard going, during one uphill section we were running on hay. That is thankless. 

Long story, shortish, I finished in 59:12. Which in the conditions I was quite happy with. I'd heard that some club runners were around 4-5 mins behind their usual times. Given that it's only my second proper 10k race, it was a decent PB, but slow enough that I'll be confident of beating it next time out!
    Great parkrun PB LTT - that is a big chunk off over such a distance.  You should be able to take some more off of that.

Well done to Nye Will. 

Good mileage JD. 

Good work on your long run JT.

Glad you are feeling better in the meantime Cal.

Well done on your 10k PB enrvuk.  If you can go sub 60 mins on a less than ideal route and in warm temperatures you will likely do it again on a better day by quite a bit more.

Hill race for me yesterday - 12 and a bit k with 550m of up and unusually back down again.  1:14:31 and 5th F45 - about in the top third which is pleasing enough.  Had to do a nausea inducing sprint for the line to pass 6th (achieved by 4 seconds) and after a long steep descent over 3 miles my legs almost collapsed at the finish but recovered fairly quickly to cheer in my teammates. Very warm and humid conditions - had to run by feel rather than with any pace / goal result in mind just to get round.  Shame as the legs felt in good shape for more on the uphill bit. Awful DOMS today, will do a recovery walk / cycle I think.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    That's a big lot of running JD.
    On and offroad mix today following the river bank north. 11miles again in bit under 1hr27. Very windy but sunny. Took some water with me. Not a happy summer runner - always feels a constant effort and I get whingey. Everybody's very smiley though. Had to dodge a number of small dogs. Took the bike out yesterday and amongst the endless weekend motorcyclists there was a procession of vintage tractors. I was brought up on a farm and there was an open cab Massive Ferguson that my dad used to drive - Massey Ferguson, sorry. Calling them Massive Fergusons is ingrained since being toddler.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Well done,enrvuk,you'd be able to knock off a fair bit of time,if running on a flat road race and good weather conditions and no beer from the previous night!
    I'm doing the Chester marathon in October.

That's a fantastic result Hazelnut,great determination at the sprint for the f45 5 position.Hope your legs feel a bit better tomorrow.

JT,that's another good long run,what races do you have planned?

8 miles along the canal today.Have a busy work schedule this week so my mileage will be well down from last week.That's why I'm not sticking to a proper training plan,fit the miles in when I can.

• You'd have liked my farm-based run tonight JT!

All fields and farmland. Added more to my loop. Huge fields of maize. Learned what the difference between wheat, oats, barley and rye are when I got home. (The big crop field were wheat and barley). Also pumpkins I think? In another field.  Did some bridlepaths and hill repeats. 7.5 miles, worried I'm going to roll my ankle it's so, so uneven, but loving it.

Just enamoured pigeons.

Awesome run JT. I saw a vintage steamroller a while back. Pretty cool! Yes water essential. The heat is draining but running in the sunshine makes up for it?

Great hill run Hazlenut, that sounds bloody hard, great result though. Considering the Canterbury half. If I'm doing it I must get hill training in earnest.

Solid 10k enrvuk.  The terrain you describe running on sounds identical to what I ran on tonight; as you say slow, sapping and laborious, well done.

Inspiring mileage JD1, that really is. I'm doing 20-25 and that seems a lot! Hoping to start gradually increase through come autumn.

Congratulations to your lad Will. It always surprised me how good some of the kids at Parkrun are. Rapid!

Hope you're still in the up Cal.

Nice little details there JT.  I loved watching farm machinery at work as a kid, the fields are now covered in housing..

Hope that work will let you out for a run every now and then JD

I get my grains mixed up as well LTT.  The off-roading might help your ankle as long as you don't roll it. 

4 mile recovery run yesterday evening - painful as legs still trashed from Sunday's race.   I even had to walk down a slight hill. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Linton,great run,noticed you're doing hill repeats,they're always great to build strength.You're definitely doing something right with smashing your PB.

No chance of getting an LSR run in this week,managed to get in 5 miles in yesterday afternoon,just a quick blast along the canal.

Took my daughters to the athletics club last night.Surprised the youngest one wanted to go,as she's not the most athletic and a bit lazy when it comes to running but I'm happy she's giving it a go.The coach takes no messing,he'll send them round the track if they start disrupting the session,that's my type of coach!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey folks, sounds like you're all doing well.
    I was able to get out for a tentative two miles this morning. Energy is good, following the shingles. Foot seems better. Achilles still being grumpy, but not as bad as it was before my enforced rest. I think it's going to be just a case of managing it.

I counted 12 Canada geese on the pond at Tooting. No sign of the Egyptian family - I hope they were on the island and that the Canadians haven't chased them off. Did see a heron and a couple of cormorants though. And there's a very noisy green woodpecker in the tree behind my house - he's been making more noise than the parakeets (I'm often woken up by the latter).
    Good you are getting back out there Cal and you are feeling better.

Nice your daughter is trying out some athletics JD.  Good discipline measure from the coach!

6 miles at recovery pace yesterday afternoon with a bit of cycling to get to and from the flat route I was using.
    Legs still sore and it took a couple of miles to get going.  Definitely feel better for it today though.  Ran along the side of a brook and remembered to look for fish (for LTT if I remember correctly) but none to be seen. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

It's good that you're feeling better Cal and back out running.Sil gets parakeets in her garden,I couldn't believe it when I saw them only seen them in zoos until then.

Glad you're legs are making a recovery after your hill race Hazelnut.

Just a 4 mile run last night but I took my nearly 12 month old black Lab Polly with me.She did really well and stayed by my side,apart when she spotted a duck on the side of the canal.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I like seeing the parakeets, JD, but by god they're noisy!

Upped it to three miles today. Quite a bit warmer than yesterday. The achilles is still grumbling away (I rate it a 5/10 on the grumpiness scale - it was about an 8 before my break, but I'd like it to come down further) but other than that I felt really good. Lots of energy, bouncy stride and I was relatively quick for an easy run. Looking at my stats, my cadence has dropped but my stride is longer, which may be down to the exercises I've been doing.
    I didn't run around the pond but I heard Mrs Egyptian honking so they're still there, which makes me happy.
    Well done to Polly JD. Did the duck survive?

That sounds good Cal other than the achilles.

An eight miler yesterday plodding along a river to take advantage of the green tunnels along the banks. Cycled 10 miles each way to get there and back. Warm, muggy and legs pretty unresponsive. Taking a long time to get over the doms.

Much better legs this evening for a five mile recovery paced run after the heat had subsided. Was attacked by 2 buzzards as I must have got too close to their nest. Some yelling, arm waving and dirt hurling kept them off. Not fun being divebombed. An ex colleague got his head torn open once so they don't always just pretend.  Will have to do a bigger diversion around that bit than I already was.
  • Just two four-ish mile trail runs to report since Monday's 7.5. I'm saving myself for Invicta East Kent Athletics 10k tomorrow. It's a fast one along the seafront, and I'm not really in the mood for it, but I'm sure a day off work today will see me back on track.

That's crazy about the buzzards Hazlenut!! Wow. I'd love to see one close up but in less terrifying conditions! There's loads road here, I'll bare that in mind. Nice running.

Glad you're mending up Cal. Sure you'll be back to full strength soon.  

Nice run JD, I took a friend's Lab running with me a few times, when they were busy. The dog loved it! Was careful not to go too far though.

Have a good weekend.