Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That has to be one of all the time best posts on this thread. :D

I'm not sure what's my favourite bit.

• Describing 7min miling downhill as being so ferocious a pace you couldn't stop.
    • Booting some dog in the face
    • Having a continual full on scuffle with some midget for 20mins.
    • Presumably shirtless the whole time
    Just marvellous
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha!!! I can't stop laughing at Bus's initial account and then SG's story from.the other side!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

as much as enjoyed watching Simon grapple against the horrid 3k distance and the HAIR (tie it up!), Bus that’s one of the funniest things I’ve really ever read!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Most amusing SG - genuinely did make me  LOl!!!!

Just a couple of inaccuracies I feel obliged to correct in "his" version (and your summary)  though- 7 min miling IS ferocious down THAT hill  :smile: (might have been slower as well - garmin reckons about 7.30!!!!).

More importantly, I am 5 foot 7 and 3/4 dontcha know!!! I used to be 5' "8 (and believe it or not, that was average height in 1988!) but I'm shrinking with age and/or relentless pounding of my legs!

He was definitely right about the shirtless, bronzen, Adonis-like sweaty body though :smiley:  I also suspect the Avon Skin So Soft sprayed liberally all over me made his grip even trickier (it's to keep ticks away - honest guv :smile: )

As an almost equally  bizarre aside, it was in exactly the same field where I once saw local legend Fabian Downes think better of messing with a herd of skittish bulls and do a 180 deg turn back to run up the road instead! You'd think HE could have outrun them!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Bus you need to write "Tales of the unexpected; Dogs v Buses"; would be a best seller😉

Quality response SG; proving again you should be a journo of some sort you are so entertaining with the written word. 

Now to mundane stuff (well not compared to me, but to the SG/Bus posts) great 3000 Simon (even by your exalted standards) and nice progressive tempo MH. 

Just ticking over myself this week. 2 day jaunt to Alton Towers now with the teenage daughter but hopefully we take in the cool named The Wammy parkrun Saturday morning, as staying nr Stoke with my sis. Your old stamping ground Simon. Dean if you still read this forum have you done that one yet? 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Great racing Simon & a fine report too - succinct.
    Hilarious Bus SG.
    Have fun Pete. Not done The Wammy but I'm also doing a relatively new one Saturday: Tetbury Goods Shed. Only event#7. That's my wu for Leg 7 of Cotswold Way Relay at 1pm - could get very sweaty. I'm also marshalling a road crossing in between so a busy day coming up. I've done 5, 8+3.3, 6.6, 7.6+6.4 so far this week & planning 5M at lunch tomorrow then Saturday's racing should tip me over 50M in 6 days too so highest week since April!
    Here's the Leg 7 profile!

• [delurk]

Comedy gold!  :D

[/delurk]
  • Good work all. Classic  
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Well played, Bus & SG  :)

If only you were wearing a GoPro, Bus. The footage would've gone viral!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Drone footage would have been better :smiley: 

That's some profile Jools!! 
  • Bus - The missus actually knows the son of one of the UK's most famous dwarves - Rusty Goffe. He does some field events for Bedford & County.

See, there's lots of interesting stuff about me you don't know, like I once snogged a girl with one leg. But lets leave that to the pub ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Nice page - enjoyed that as much as the infamous "tuna bagel" count :)

SW - Yes, 8x1km aint something I'd be trying for 5k pace. Peaking for 10k yes.

Jools - that looks a ridiculously devised course. Who thought bunging that massive dip and rise in midway was giggles?

Followed the consensus on here, and went for the 4x1mile progressions then - well, ok 1600s (I thought about Phil pointing out it's key to be clear on the diffo, back in circa 2013 or so I think that was!)

I like this sesh, as it gives you license to be fairly "relaxed", and not get too caught up in splits, like other reps and sessions might be.

I went for a vague idea of start at TMP, 6ish, 1.30 laps, and get quicker each rep.

Taking lap splits, and then painstakingly adding them up gives me (with what the mile would be in brackets - ie add 2 seconds!)

5.58  (6.00)
    5.52 (5.54)
    5.49 (5.51)
    5.44 (5.42)

So that was what I needed. I liked how seamlessly I upped things when needed for rep 4. Despite turning up and thinking "are my legs tired", "is it a bit windy"

What I didn't need was an old fashioned utter stomach meltdown in the last 600, but I got the last 400 off at 1.23 so was happy enough ;)

Future plans then...how does this look?

• Tue - Marlow 5k
    • Sat - Relay, 3.5mile offroad leg
    Tue - choice of 3 - have to decide.
    1. Datchet 5k - club race - that I don't usually do - 2 lapper, uninspired
    2. Gosport 5k - love getting down there
    3. Rose Inn 4miler

We're running out of options for the latter two - doesn't help they pick the same dates - and after this date, there's just one version left in August.

All 3 of the above races are "good solid workout" jobs, rather than aiming to smash times - although Rose Inn I'd be fairly guaranteed a 4 mile pb - with mine sitting at 24.20 from 2008!
    The relay especially is offroad, has a decent hill early on, and is always a ferociously hot day - magnificently timed to be at the peak temps 12-2pm! I'm always a little concerned at potential "wipe out" factor in this one, having come close in 2017!! That was the dreaded long leg though, this is a new "slightly longer than the short leg" job that everyone does this year rather than the long-short split.

Only small problem, is where to fit the actual sessions in to improve pace - rather than smashing the races in - but we'll have to use these to help things along!

• Do Gosport if I were you. And don’t worry about sessions for the speed, the benefits of racing will sort that out. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Rose Inn always has EoD so no need to commit too early. Not worth the drive if the weather's windy as it's a very exposed course on the Gwent Levels.
  • Brilliant Bus and Stevie !  :smiley:

A lovely chocolate lab ran out of some bushes to chase back to its owner on my run last night. I couldn’t stop in time and trod on the poor things paw and it yelped. I stopped, gave it a stroke and took it back to its owner explaining what had happened and to watch for any reaction in the paw. It was a civil and friendly exchange  :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Most of them are mf, especially when it involves a lab rather that a stoopid yappy terrier and an even more stoopid owner :smile:

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    tellin me that he was gonna get some guy called "Ric" on me, who apparently would tell me what I'm doing wrong in my life.

Why bring me into it?

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF said:
    tellin me that he was gonna get some guy called "Ric" on me, who apparently would tell me what I'm doing wrong in my life.

Why bring me into it?
    Keep you involved son.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
     I stopped, gave it a stroke and took it back to its owner 

I did take a second read of this part....
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Right, time for a nice easy, sunny, pre-beer and chips run.

I shall smear my legs in dog-repellant tonight though (rather than tick repellant!).  Hopefully it will be boringly incident free :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    RicF said:

Why bring me into it?
    Keep you involved son.
    Oh yes, of course.

I never seem to be troubled by dogs. Just lucky I suppose. Years back, a friend of mine was running up a footpath off road, when he was confronted by a couple of Pit Bulls escaped from some scrapyard outfit.

He escaped by vaulting over a close wired fence into a space filled entirely by stinging nettles.

The gravity of the situation was brought home to me when he told me, he never felt a thing!

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019

One of a small number of breeds that you pray you never come across like that.

That nettle situation I experienced very similar back in 99.

First year Uni - vague plan to meet with a mate for some footy playing. Mysterious car just round the corner from my place. I looked to see if it was my pal - it wasn't but I obviously stared too long, as the guys shouted "yes, we're doing drugs".

I carried on, one last look back...furious thrashing of engine starting...

Sprinted round the corner, and jumped into some bushes off the road - as the car flew by.

Couple of mins later - looked down, am in the middle of a tonneload of nettles, legs covered in the white marks... didn't feel them for about 20mins.

Oh my word they stung then!

Occasionally wonder what would have happened If I hadn't run!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    My nettles dilemma came when I had the choice of staying on course and running through a 30 yard stretch of the buggers filling a footpath, or go another way and maybe get lost.

I chose the nettles. Sure they stung, but the after effects meant I felt ill for a few hours after. 

Right then. Running. 20 miles done this morning. Finished before 10:00 am. That follows the 20 miler I did on Tuesday.

That should cover the endurance for a while. 

🙂

• Good stuff Ric. 

Warm and windy session on the grass at Wrest park yesterday. 8 x 800 with 90. Started off on a 2.33 as didn’t have a warm up, then got them down to 2.30 and a 2.24 to finish. Felt good as it was quite warm. 

Then in we all went en masses to Watford to watch the BMC Grand Prix. Some really good performances and quite a few folk there to say hi to. Reminds me how long I’ve been in the running game!

Long run to Luton in a bit to watch the Luton 5 mile race, couple of birthday beers after. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Simon - enjoy the BB's :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes, happy birthday Si from me too.

I knew a Simon Coombes when I fished Tring back in the 80's. For a while I wondered if it was one and the same. Clearly not - for a start, you are taller.

Fishing. Not many activities where dossing about for hours on end can count as doing something. 

Within the business, boredom never seems to come into it. But I can see how it can. From the outside, it looks pointless. 

However, with all the home comforts available on the bank, some guys take full advantage of the situation. Behind the locked gates of private fisheries they can have as much drink, drugs and extra curricular women they can muster without fear of detection or censure.

At times, for some, the catching of fish can become but an inconvenient distraction.

I preferred to just catch.

🙂

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Happy b'day, Mr Coombes #2.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    LSR today. Boy was it a slog! Shortest long run for 6 weeks, as 14M, but felt much longer!  Oddly, Strava has me down as doing a 44s 400m at one point! There's a blip in the trace that looks like a did a bit teleportation!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Happy bismark SC2!

Bus - still a decently long one. If there's any time of year you can skimp the long run down it has to be now surely? Without any prospect of a long distance race for 3-4months?  I think someone said similar to me at Endure, where it had locked me doing something ridiculous like 51secs for 400m somewhere on the offroad route!

For a few reasons, supposed very hot day, 5k race Tue, and aware that I've leapt from 32.5miles week 1 after endure, to what would be high 50s this week, I decided i'd "set out for 10", and see how it went.

One of the few days of the year I went out with a water on the go. And the first half was hot!

Bizarrely, at "midway", which I'd presumed was the 5.5mile mark (added a half mile bit on at the furthest out bit), it turned a bit cooler with a right old breeze.

So much so that by 10.5 I knew I had to go to 12 as no excuse...

so 12, 7.09 job. Fairly standard.

Bit tight near end, so will keep it easy til the race, with a mere 3 runs :)