Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO - That is a rapid 5 miler, you certainly are packing the races in!
    Lorenzo - Good to hear you are back to running, hope the Northern line goes well!
    Gul - Sounds like you are almost back to it, probably sensible to give it a couple of days though. As others have said although you may have overtrained you will have found where your limit is which is a good thing!
    G-Dawg - Great run in the 21k and good to see your feeling recovered. Is it Race to the stones next weekend?
    SBD - The 3x2 was on the road. I've got the 5000m track special at the end of July and then Kenilworth half 01/09, that's all I've got booked at the moment. Which autumn mara are you doing?
    PMJ - I cant even get my head round those logistics!

Had a big track session of 8 x 1k @ 5k pace off 90s recovery. Target was 3.30-3.35 and they came out at 3.30, 3.31, 3.30, 3.30, 3.31, 3.30, 3.29, 3.30. Chuffed with that as I felt in control all the way through and even felt like I could have done a couple more reps. 7m at recovery tonight
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    PMJ  - I expect you'll be glad to be back at work for a rest :) Good running slotted in.
    OO - cracking race. Well done on the impressive pace and 1st V55. So yes, take it easy now!
    Stevie - wow, that is some interval session. Bang on pace and controlled with something left at the end too. You are in great shape.
    The pain is virtually undetectable now and so I did 3 easy miles this morning; just a bit of a niggle for the first minute then felt fine. Will see how I feel tomorrow, but will keep any running easy and brief before my holiday now (Tuesday next week).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's huge session, Stevie. well played!

Great 5 mile racing, OO

Gul, glad to hear you are back up and running.

You too, Lorenzo.

Good going on the trail race G-Dawg.

Ticking over here with 4m recovery Monday and same this morning and circuits tonight. Decent session yesterday of 3 x (2k at 10kp (90s)- 1k at 5kp) with 3 mins between sets. Idea was to start steady and make last set the fastest. The 2k bits went 6.18mm, 6.10mm and 6.08mm. The 1k bits were all at 5.55mm.

It was then school sports day today with the dads race which I hate because everyone puts a target on my back, despite me never finishing higher than 2nd. I got a dreadful start and in a race that lasts 9s there isn't a great deal you can then do to remedy it. Ended up 6th of 10 and just off the leading group by 5m or so.

• Challenge them to a marathon DT. In fact even a 5k would probably do it!

OO, you're such a speedster. Ridiculous times. Well done :)

Stevie, you're making me feel pathetic for my 5 x 1k session now. 

Glad to read you're nearly back Gul. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    800 would probably do it. The winner recently ran a 5k best on the track of 22.xx. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT will your kids ever speak to you again 😂 I once tripped in 3 legged race and came last. Dad shame...
    What are you up to Speedy- any races planned?
  • Does an off-road 40 miler count? I have a marathon on Sunday too, but only at training pace so that doesn't count.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Speedy - I know we only exchanged pleasantries at the Mansfield Half a few years ago, but you seemed quite sane then :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think a marathon is still a long way even at easy pace!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - very tidy interval session. Obviously a very short sprinting distance if it was over in 9 seconds! And are they allowed to call it a "dads" race anymore?!
    Speedy - I'll be with you in spirit ;) 
    The niggling pain returned later yesterday and was pretty obvious once I started running this morning, so back to the bench for me. I will learn to be patient eventually - just wish it didn't take so long!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, yes, they did a toddlers race, a mums race and a dads race. No politically correct 'parents' race in these parts!! Bearing in mind it was on a field and gradually upwards it must have been 60-70m max

Shame to hear the niggle has returned. Fingers crossed it will disappear soon enough.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - That's a great session and perfectly executed. I think I've got that one next week! You should have got Lewis to give you sprint training sessions in prep for sports day!

Speedy - Enjoy the marathon at the weekend!

Gul - Sorry to hear that, hopefully you are not on the bench for too much longer

7m easy last night, legs were heavy but not too bad. Swim tonight then an 8m tempo tomorrow
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear that Gul.
    Good luck Speedy I couldn’t run that far at the moment 👍
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 nice 5 miler time.
    DT19 letting the side down ,the only runner whipped badly in the school race the shame lol,they will remember that one.
    CC2 40 mile sounds like a decent race at any pace.
    GUL very sorry to hear that after you going so well.

Got out of work early for a 5k which was almost entirely downhill which was its main selling point to me ! They bus you up to the summit for the start ! 20:48 was the final score but it still seemed a long way due to lack of fitness.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Got my first long run in quite a while 11 miles at 9;52 average his morn out along the river ,nice morning for it so just plodded along .
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Too true Leslie, nice to get one under the belt.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    A bit breezy at Newcastle Parkrun this morning but otherwise a nice morning for a run out with 2 of my daughters. Managed to just sneak under 18 with a 17:59, my only sub 18 this year. Wava was 86%
  • OO, you're famous. There's a video from Bridges of the Tyne and they interviewed 5 runners. I know four of you. I feel like a celeb myself. Clearly moving with the right crowd! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Haha, yes I was with a group of club pals and got press ganged into it! I did do a bit of media stuff when I was working so it doesn’t really phase me. Good to see you keeping tabs on the North East there Speedy 😉
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good to see you getting back to the long ones Leslie, it's been lovely weather for it recently. 

Rapid park run OOI still need to crack 18 at parkrun!

Tempo wasn't the best yesterday, first mile was 6.23 which was alright but my legs faded from there. Just couldn't pick the pace up or hold it, managed to hold it to 6.37 pace at the end for a 6.33 average. HR average of 166 which is just below marathon effort. Guess Tuesdays session took more out of me then I thought!

On a more positive note had a great week of swimming. 1k on Thursday including 750m in one go which was my furthest ever then went again this morning in a longer pool and did 800 in one go. Taking it cautiously but will probably for for the full 1000 next time
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Stevie the beauty of pool swimming is that you can stop and take a breather. Your speed will increase if you get 15 secs rest every 4-6 lengths. Great to see you are improving 👍
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'm considering getting a wetsuit so I can join my mate in open water swimming. My plan is to increase my endurance then I will start working on my speed. Can certainly feel two swims in a week in my shoulders!!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’m a wimp when it comes to cold water 😢
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice session Stevie W and DT
    Get well soon Gul
    Nice parkrun OO54

Swimming is not for me.

Should get over 40 this week. Then back at it

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, it was pretty hot when you did your session so no surprise you struggled to hit paces.

Nice to get a long run in Leslie!

Great parkrun, oo. 

Good to be back to it, Menn. It seems to take me ages to get back into my rhythm post mara. 

Sharpener friday lunchtime of 10 x 2 mins at 10kp off 90s. It was very hot by the end. Reps averaged 6.01mm so quicker than 10kp but always were with short reps and long recovery. Spin yesterday and 5m easy planned later. 

Looking forward to Wednesdays 10k. It's a pretty undulating course but will give me a decent idea of fitness 3 weeks out from target 10k. 
  • Today's marathon was 26.5 miles. Second finisher and first lady but no prizes. It was rather low key but it cost £39 to enter so I did think I might get something, but no! I ran it at ultra pace. 8 min miling not including stopping to refill water bottles, which only took 2 mins anyway. Now I just need to be able to do that for an extra 40 miles (nearly). No problem then...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s a shame Speedy but Im sure it will give you some confidence👍
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Goods marathon miles Speedy - when's the 100K race?

Quick 2 min reps DT - have you got a race coming up?

It's always easier when you have a target Menn.

Have you got triathlon ambitions Stevie?

Excellent work on the Sub 18 OO.

Good work on the long run Leslie - any races planned?

Bad news on the niggle Gul - have you tried the sports massage?

Ticking along here and back in to marathon training although I haven't quite booked the marathon!  So 18 miles today @ 7:44 m/m pace. Felt a little harder than it should have but the beers should help the recovery!  69 miles for the week, so not a bad start to the campaign,

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD, that is some decent ticking along!!

Yes I have a local 10k on Wednesday night to gauge fitness. It's a very undulating route so hoping to go sub 39 as a starter, then my initial target 10k is last Saturday in July in Magor which is pan flat. I think though this may come a bit early for me to pb and the ultimate target is Telford in December.

Just some easy miles planned later with strides.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great reps DT - I think you might surprise yourself at Magor! I think I would have been tempted by that race if it didn't clash with the 5000m Track Challenge

Speedy - Great work on the win! Shame you didn't get a prize, I would expect one for that entry fee!

SBD - Yes I have always wanted to do a triathlon but always thought the swimming would hold me back so decided to do something about it! I may do one next year after a spring marathon. You are ticking along very nicely! What are the mara options?

Finished the week off with an easy 15m yesterday. Legs were very tired as I had played golf in the morning so spent a lot of time on my feet! Was very hot as well so quite pleased to see the average come out at 8.09 and I was getting quicker as the miles went by. 48 miles for the week, 2 1k swims and 2 S&C sessions mean that was probably my biggest ever week of training.