Comrades 2020

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Congratulations SD, WSER is another bucket list race of mine.
    are people booking up their accommodation already? Any recommendations/ places to avoid? 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hi Millsy, it being a down run the favourites for an easy walk home from the finish will be:-
    Belaire
    Blue Waters
    For ease of access to the Expo etc, which is 3ks or so from the finish, the ones we used last year are:-
    Hilton
    Onomo

There are more out there. Definitely book straight away, Belaire might already be booked out. I always go for the Hilton irrespective of the direction of the run, some say it has become a superstition with me :)

• Millsy, there are several of us in the Belaire Suites - I booked my room there a week or so ago. I've stayed there three years now and found it very pleasant (service in the restaurant can be a bit slow). There will also be plenty of other Comrades runners in the Hilton, and in the other hotels lowrez mentions.
  • Good morning, checking accommodation, I assume everyone stays in Durban?

Checked Hilton as have their honors programme,  Lowrez looking at executive room with lounge access, is their lounge worth it? Quoting 3300 Rand night on flexible rate.
  • Also checking flights, not too many options for me other than Emirates and they're very expensive!!!
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    No rush to book flights yet Dubai.  I normally fly with Emirates as I can go from a regional UK airport and prices have been favourable when they've had a sale.
  • Becca, living in Dubai we pay a fortune for Emirates flights. My wife had to go home to Ireland last week for a funeral, 5060 Euro business return to Dublin. The lady in the next seat paid 4700 Euro Dublin-Dubai-Brisbane business return.
    Off to Thailand next week, business return with Oman air for 4 of us basically the same as Emirates economy.
    Might have to check Ethiopian and Kenyan.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's expensive.  I suppose business class adds a bit but even so.  I hope you can get something cheaper.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I managed to pick up a double for 1500 zar per night. Not aware of an actual "lounge" in the airport sense Dubai, I've always assumed they meant a second room in addition to your bedroom. But maybe my head is mangled... Despite kind of living it up slightly there I never pay top rack rate and am in Durban for so little time I don't get much opportunity to use anything beyond the bar and restaurant, which are very good.
  • Dubai runnerDubai runner ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Lowrez, it's the executive lounge, so generally provide snacks and drinks throughout the day. Though one of my colleagues has a house 15 mins from Durban, he's offered me to stay there so will see but will prob book Hilton on a flexible deal so I can change last minute.

Becca I'm hoping so, don't fancy paying high prices. Business class is normally my treat to myself!

Just need to do some serious running now, not logging too many miles due to the summer, currently 46 degrees.....

• Booked in at Onomo, liked the look of it and didn't have to stump the whole cost up front either.   
    Going to find a yoga class next.....unless some of you use an online version that's been useful for runners (cba to navigate the google results) ?

• johnny1984johnny1984 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, hope all are running well. I have a question please- what kind of strength work or specific training do you do for a comrades down run? My core is basically made of mr wippy ice cream so I need to start working on things early if I'm going to get through 56 miles, fields hill etc

many thanks! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

Coach Barry, I mean Parry, has a good starting point here

https://coachparry.com/comrades-strength-training/

Of course he is after revenues and will bombard you with e-mails if you ask for this info, but he is a good egg, and you can unsubscribe any time and take it no further, the first step of 10 exercises is grand though and free. I know others who have subscribed to specific training programmes from him and give him credit for a good job. I have also chatted a few times with the chap and he knows his stuff.

• Hello everyone, hope all are running well. I have a question please- what kind of strength work or specific training do you do for a comrades down run? My core is basically made of mr wippy ice cream so I need to start working on things early if I'm going to get through 56 miles, fields hill etc

many thanks! 
    Don’t tell anyone - this is a secret. Swimming.
  • Second for swimming, must do more. Felt I was swimming this morning but in sweat. Only 10k but 37 degrees and humid = heat index of 43 degrees .
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I would second what lowrez said, the info is good but the volume of emails is high.

Paying attention to good downhill running technique is important.  This is from the perspective of minimising the hammering your legs will take (long downhills will punish the quads and there are some very long downhills in this race) but it will also help with pace.
  • johnny1984johnny1984 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting mixed messages re downhill technique from tinternet research. Some people say increase cadence, others say lengthen stride. 

Guess I could do both at the same time and break the course record....
  • Can someone send me that training programme please (message me if you don't have my email, and I'll give it to you)? I tried to get it but never got sent the email. To avoid jarring your knees at each stride going downhill, I find it helps to drop your hips slightly, so you never fully straighten the legs. Last year I was advised not to run the whole way down Fields HIll, so I took some walking breaks, but I'm not sure I needed to.
  • Quick question, has anyone used a coach? Most of my friends are triathlon and use coaches and nutritional experts.

I've never followed a plan, never mind use a coach, but I've never run further than a marathon.

• Also  I'm not a member of a running club, do I need to join one to gain comrades entry? 

Looking at application site I need to be in a club.

• I ask this at 8am sitting in my garden with a nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. But I did work nights last night and it is 44 degrees already!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    We sound similar (apart from fitness level - me being far worse - and white wine - yak) You don't need to be in a club. I've never had a coach. Dannirr has used coach Larry, I mean Parry, and had success. Me I don't even look at his published schedules, I run marathons and other ultras to prime me for the big day. You need determination to run Comrades, and a good running sense. Of course coaches and things will help immensely if you want to have the best result you are capable of.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I've never used a coach, aside from a one-off session on downhill running that I had to prepare me for my first Down run.  I've tended to follow the training plans on the Comrades site.  I think that those who have used online Comrades coaches have been pretty happy with them.  Norrie is another one who is well-regarded.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Are the signs true on Comrades day - "Coach Norrie never ran Comrades!"?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Debra, did you look in "junk"? I have an incredible amount of coach Harry, I mean Parry, e-mails in junk. The link he sends is unique to you, and the content is all webbyfied, not an easy thing to "send" you, lots of extremely short YouTube video links etc...

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Oi, I'm Larry, Harry, Parry too.   :p
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    :D Oops, I was running out of letters anyway, ahh "M" is free? (can't find an emoji for being on one knee though)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Haha, yes, Barry too.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Agreed with a friend over the w/end to enter in '21 for the 100th anniversary. It will be her first time taking part so should be quite the experience. Means I'll definitely bow out for '20 though. Very best of luck to everyone who's planning to giving it a go.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Cheers jk.  I'm hearing a lot of people who have run it before saying that they are aiming at coming back for the 100th anniversary too.  I hope there's going to be room for me.