The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Cal, great you're back and out running. Though you've certainly had a rough time of it recently.

No run for me today, it's too damn hot and was up at 0430 for work so getting out early wasn't an option.

Yesterday 3.92 humid miles

YTD 1028.46 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Thanks Hobie

4 miles last night,my black Lab Polly made her first run as well,should burn up some of her relentless energy.

YTD - 822.86

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Managed 3 miles today. Achilles is still grumbly but everything else felt great. I was actually running at the faster end of my easy pace without too much effort. I think the drills I've been doing have helped as my stride seems to be a bit longer according to my Garmin.

YTD: 860
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everybody...just looking in/on...
    JD1...Well done on passing 800'. How often does Polly run? Does she need to build up for longer runs? Or can dogs just run forever?
    Hobie...Well done on passing 700'.
    Cal...Good to hear that most of your issues have cleared up, and that you are back running.
    Me?...sorry to say that I am still spectating. Feeling some improvements (PF is no longer a problem) and can now add some cycling and swimming to my weekly activities, without the inside leg complaining. But not ready for a return to running yet. May be looking for another physio as the one I've been seeing (who is excellent) must be on the far side of the moon?! and am unable to arrange the next session.
    Happy running everyone.
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    MrM, good to hear you're doing stuff, if not too much running. Hopefully all better soon.
    6 mile, warm coast path tonight.
    720 miles YTD
  • MrM2 glad you're on the mend, hopefully you'll be running again shortly.

Very high humidity for the last few days.

5.7 6.06
    6.7 4.77

YTD 1039.29 miles

• MrM2, I echo Dubai Runner's sentiments.
    Four things to report back for the week:
    2 x 13.71 milers on Tuesday & Thursday
    13.30 miles today with the parkrun sandwich
    Got the pain in my left thigh reappear but put down to trapped nerve in my lower back which was treated after the run - feels better but will know how it fares at the Rayne marathon tomorrow.
    YTD = 1436.87 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope you're OK, Harmander.
    MrM2, glad things are improving.

I thought things were improving for me too. Went out and ran 6.7 miles this morning (was aiming for 6, took a different couple of paths and somehow completely forgot about that by the time I got to where mile 4 usually bleeps so figured my Garmin was out and compensated. I'm an idiot). Achilles was its usual self but foot felt fine until I stopped, when it promptly started hurting. I mean, come on, foot, you've had one and a half weeks off, what the hell is wrong with you?
    I'm going to round today's mileage up to 7 seeing as I've been rounding all my other runs down. I think I've earned that at least. (Garmin actually makes my mileage 877, so those fractions add up!)

YTD: 867
  • That's unfortunate Cal.
    With the trapped nerve gone, I was able to run today's marathon (Hare & Tortoise - It's Rayne'ing medals) 2.27 minutes a mile faster than the last one a few weeks ago. I was a minute ahead of my previous best on the course at half way but felt it appropriate to have a really slow last lap (of 8) putting me 2 minutes slower than my course best.
    YTD = 1463.09 miles
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Little of note to report beyond a parkrun time this week which was identical to the one I run last week (22.19), pb remains at 22.18

For the first time in a long time an injury to report, tightness in the left hamstring. 

Hope the various niggles everyone appears to be suffering pass soon. Keep running. 

Ytd: 562.0
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Harmander - I saw your name when I was scouring the results (I do a weekly results round-up for my club, which means going through a lot of different races to find out if anyone ran).
    Donnie, hope it's nothing bad. Maybe time for a massage? Most times when I get a boo-boo it's because my muscles are too tight.
    Anyway, physio managed to free up my foot a bit (a painful process, actually) so I risked a run today and got 4 miles done with no significant pain when I stopped, unlike last time. Fingers crossed, then.

YTD: 871
  • Really, its inspirational to read this thread! Motivating!
    Interesting run today, I'm on a Mental Health First Aid course in Malvern...so went for a fun up and over the hills...as you do :-) 
    On the way back, came around a bend and there was panicking people and a Staffie choking, I found out it was a stick it had been chewing but couldn't and wouldn't put my hand in it's mouth so ran, carrying a 15kg dog down the hill to the owners car and rushed them all off to the nearest vet...hopefully all ok. Dog was in a lot of distress and had blue tongue bit was getting air in.

739miles YTD
  • Good morning all and welcome David.

Hobie, good Samaritan and possibly invented a new race format.

Missed the last 2 days running due to heat, was working night shifts so was just too warm to run during the day and hate the treadmill.

7.7 4.05
    10.7 5.03

YTD 1048.37 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow Hobie, I hope the little (big?) fella was OK. Good of you to do that.

Ran 8 miles this morning. Very warm and humid even at 6.30am when I went out. (Dubai you would consider it cool, I expect - 18 degrees. Felt sticky to me though).
    Foot was OK. Achilles less impressed but it can suck it.

YTD: 879
  • Cal was 37 when I went out this morning!!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    MrM2,she's one  tomorrow,so I need to build her mileage up,bit like humans!Glad you're making recovery.

Hope your niggle clears up Donnie.

Well done Hobie.I never throw sticks to my dogs because of that.Hope the dog is ok.

Welcome David.

6.07 - 4.4
    9.07 - 19.42
    10.07 - 5
    YTD - 851.68 miles

• Great long run JD1, what are you training for?

Off to Thailand tomorrow for the next few weeks, swapping the heat of Dubai for the heat and humidity of Thailand but change of scenery for running.

6.24 miles this morning

YTD 1054.61 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Chester marathon,Dubai,it's my first one so I'm getting the mileage in when I can.
    Enjoy your holiday to Thailand.

11.07 - 10.12
    YTD  -  861.80 miles
  • When is Chester? Looking forward to Thailand, been many times, it's our escape.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Chester is 6 October,so I'm just at the start of my training.My first two long runs were a shock to the system but my last one felt much better.
     I'm sure you'll be putting in decent mileage on holiday to compensate for your holiday drinks!
  • JD1, it's always very humid, will try and run most days.

Was thinking if running Colombo marathon, it's also 6 October, just a problem getting long runs in.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning. I need to start training for Yorkshire but with the issues I've had I haven't done much in the way of miles lately. I have to be careful not to ramp up too quickly.

YTD: 885
  • Feeling inspirational, motivated and fresh on reading each comments. Thanks, people.
    Sneaky day off...dentist & flexi...so no commute this morning, replaced it with 7 miles around coast path.
    745 miles YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Last couple of nights I've woken up in the small hours with raging cramp in my calf dispite not running. 

I'm another with an autumn marathon (Yorkshire) need to up the mileage. Friday night to become long run night. 

Dubai: enjoy Thailand, I loved my visits, hoping to be back in Bangkok early next year. 

Cal: good advice about a massage, I'm to mean to have one, but with my hamstring and recent cramp it's probably the way to go. 

Ytd: 573.1
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie, do you sleep on your front? I always used to but it basically means sleeping with your toes pointed all night so calves can get tight. I've been trying to train myself to sleep on my back as it's the least problematic as far as injuries go but it's not easy.
    btw, if you get a calf cramp, pull your big toe back (towards your shin) and it'll ease it.

Did Bromley parkrun today - large parkrun (600+) but enough space for that not to be a nuisance, unlike my local. I figured with the time off I'd be around 26 minutes but actually did it in 25:30 so I'm fairly happy with that. I have a race (local one with a 5 or 10K option) on Wednesday which I wasn't sure about doing but I think I'll be OK, even if a PB isn't on the cards.
    parkrun plus a 1 mile warm up takes me to YTD: 889
    Alas, no long run tomorrow as I am volunteering at Thorpe Park tri.
  • Donnie, went running to Lumpini park, thought first of all there was a race on, hundreds, probably thousands running counter clockwise around the park, every age and speed. Everywhere I looked groups practicing yoga or Tai Chi. Amazing. 

Weather hot and humid but cooler than Dubai, so up at 0630 to run yesterday and today.

13.7 4.71
    14.7 6.22

YTD 1065.51 miles

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

12.07 - 5

13.07 - 3.1

14.07 - 8.04

YTD - 877.94

• With 13.71 miles on Tuesday, Thursday and today with a 13.30 mile parkrun sandwich yesterday my 
    YTD = 1517.53 miles.
    May do a few more runs to get over 1600 miles by Saturday week