My Last Run

Comments

• Just two four-ish mile trail runs to report since Monday's 7.5. I'm saving myself for Invicta East Kent Athletics 10k tomorrow. It's a fast one along the seafront, and I'm not really in the mood for it, but I'm sure a day off work today will see me back on track.

That's crazy about the buzzards Hazlenut!! Wow. I'd love to see one close up but in less terrifying conditions! There's loads road here, I'll bare that in mind. Nice running.

Glad you're mending up Cal. Sure you'll be back to full strength soon.  

Nice run JD, I took a friend's Lab running with me a few times, when they were busy. The dog loved it! Was careful not to go too far though.

Have a good weekend.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back out running Cal. Good luck with the Achilles. It sounds like the  has done you good. It’s great when you have that real bounce in your step. 

Craziness with the buzzards Hazel. At least it wasn’t a mountain lion. Congrats on the hill run, it sounds brutal. What’s your next big run?

JD sorry about the lack of mileage, frustrating when you want to be ramping it up. Your daughters coach sounds like the athletics coach I had as a teen. 

Linton good luck with the 10k, you seem nicely in a groove. 

Good quick running JT. 

I’m now into my half training, few uneventful runs. Two foundation runs, a fast finish and a fartlek . Total of  about 35k. I’m definitely recovering quicker than when I was running harder, which makes me feel I’ll be able to build up the mileage if I get up early enough as the temps rise. I wonder how much progress I’m making, but I just have to trust the training. 

Two of my runs were on the outskirts of Amsterdam and one went into the Westerpark, which I really enjoyed. It has canals, lovely house boats and a little wildlife. Some geese and ducks, so a little like Regent’s Park. I’d recommend it for a run if you’re there. 

Happy weekend everyone. 
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi again all MLRERs! As I've been off here for a while, I'll just say 'nice work' to all running and will catch up properly now that I am back. It's been a strange old month or so, which has seen me not running a lot. No particular reason, but I've kind of been waiting to start my marathon training plan proper and so have just had a good old fashioned rest. Well, that is now over.

It was back on the Marriott's Way for an out and back 10 miles early this morn. Pleasant temperature and the legs felt fresh from their rest. I had my usual tough spot at miles 4 and 5, but refreshed my form a few times with an arm and shoulder shake out which did the trick. I must get back on the core exercises again - I think this will help with all the altitude that the Brecon Marathon will throw at me. The wildflowers are now coming into their own and I saw a cute pair of fledgling Robins being fed by their Ma. A Buzzard hunted over a barley field and a Muntjac was barking somewhere off in the woods (a new sound I have learnt as we have them in the cemetery behind our street). I chugged through a Camelbak of SIS but no sweets or solid fuel at all today. 10 miles at 10:04 mi/mi, not bad after slobbing it for a while. It's great to be back on a training plan with a solid goal. I've upped the mileage for this one, averaging around 30- 35miles per week rather than 25-30, as I did for Manchester. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow LTT.

Nice run in Amsterdam enrvuk.

Seems the rest has done you good Will, nice 10 miler.  Will you be able to get in some hill / trail practice during your training weeks?

8.7 miles this morning, out just after 7am. Warm and muggy but thunderstorms and a cooldown in the meantime.  Met an adult collie and a pup out with their owners, cute. Also very much interested in diverse toys and not at all in chasing me which was good.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Yes the duck survived Hazelnut.They play it very cool,they see this slobbering dog,tail windmilling running towards them and in the last second just jump into the water!

Getting dive bombed by buzzards isn't nice they can do some serious damage.

Good luck with your race Linton.

You seem to be much better Cal,apart from the grumpy achilles.

Nice 10 miles Will.

enrvuk nice running in Amsterdam.Love running in cities that I'm visiting,great way to explore.

Just over 4 miles yesterday evening.Time I get home from work,see the girls it's nearly 8,which for me is too late for running so just keeping them short.Included 6 x 1 min @ 5kp.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The buzzards are a bit alarming, Hazelnut!
    Rather wish I was OK, JD. Shingles-wise, yes. Achilles is still grumpier than I'd like. Foot has been fine all week and felt fine when I went out today (which was 6.7 miles - I was aiming for 6 but got to where my mile 4 beep usually is and saw I'd done an extra half mile somehow, figured my Garmin was out and decided to compensate, completely forgetting that I actually had added a couple of extra paths after mile 3. Numpty). However, when I stopped it started hurting. I'm so frustrated.
    That is frustrating Cal. How long ago was it that you hurt it?

I was stupid enough to go out over midday today, thought 25 degrees and a breeze would be manageable but the sun was strong and I had about 10k to do with no shade at all. Cue overheating at 10 miles and I took a couple of minutes to cool down with the help of a farmer's trough. Spring water and very clean. Ambled another 5k to complete a HM and then jog-walked home for another 2 miles. No other runners but quite a few cyclists.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Cal, that's a good way to get the extra miles in, just forget where you've run! Sorry to hear about the achilles, they're a bloody nightmare. Mine often feels a little sore, but thankfully has never blown up. I hope it eases off as the day goes on.

Hazel, 25c! Blimey I ran in Central London today and it was quite mild. Lucky really as farmer's troughs are hard to come by! Very impressive miles, especially in that heat.

JD, yes I am really getting into the city running after the experiences at a couple of Parkruns, Central Park and Amsterdam. Looking forward to the next one. I was listening to a running podcast the other day that said holiday runs are the best. 

Will, your runs always sound so picturesque. 

I had a bog standard Long Run, 14.6 miles, nearly all of it at heart rate zone 2. As I was entering Regent's Park the last of the 10k runners were coming out. I'll be volunteering there in a couple of weeks for the next race in the series. Was a bit quicker than the last time I did the same run, so pleased with that.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    That should be 14.6km of course. 
  • Sounds like progress, envruk. I much prefer to get into natural surroundings if I can, but do like the big city events for the atmos.

A bit of a glutton for punishment today, eh Hazelnut! Nice trough drinking :)

You are a toughie, Cal, pushing on through whatever is thrown at you. As my footy coach used to tell me: 'Good attitood'.

I know what it's like trying to fit the miles in, JD. I've a feeling the 5am alarm is going to be busy this marathon phase.

It was Junior Parkrun for me and Nye this morning, where he was presented with his Ultra Marathon wristband for 50 JPRs - 100km. Needless to say we were all very chuffed, especially him. He then went on to get a new PB of 12:50.

I was feeling a bit stiff and sore today after my 10 miles, so a recovery run was needed. 3.34 miles at an easy pace, doing a hilly loop both ways (clock/anti-clock). I feel better for it now. Also dropped for some planks at various points of today. Hazelnut, There are a few steep hills of 50-80m nearby, so it's going to be 1 or 2 rep sessions every week. I'll get out on trail a fair bit too and we're hoping to get away to Brecon for proper mountain practice at some poin this summer. A marathon up mountains - no sweat!?!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Oh, and here's a happy Nye :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a happy nipper, Will - well done to him!
    The foot is still hurting now - I'm feeling it in a different place to the initial injury. I'm off to the physio to find out what's going on. I envisage more time off. I am beyond frustrated.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done Nye, and everyone else. I hope the physio can find you some quick way back Cal.
    A week between runs isn't ideal but for one reason and another that's how it worked out. 9.1miles today in under 1hr10. Felt the most comfortable I've been for a while. Went past a couple of cars pulled up on the pavement exchanging insurance details after a knock at a mini roundabout, some corrugated roofing dumped in a lay-by, a bunch of cows with their calves, and dog walkers holding gates open for me as I passed by. I've got blisters on the soles of my feet.
  • Those dog-walkers are getting too polite for their own good, JT. Only a matter of time before one of them bites your blisters. Nice rapid 9 miler.

Hope you get some good news on your injury, Cal. Frustrating indeed. Can you still do yoga?

Busy times here so crammed in 2 runs last night and then early this morning. Just 5k this morning at 5:15am, but felt the benefit of running on tired legs in an attempt to build up my mountain stamina. Last night I had another go with the virtual pacer set at 9:30 mi/mi for 5 miles. Having had some time off this was a decent enough challenge for me and the pacer kept me very steady - just a second or two outside the pace for each mile. My Manchester Mara run went so well in large part due to a very steady consistent pace, so I think there's some merit in this pacer mullarkey. The evening scent of blooming buddleia was rather nice and am looking forward to the butterflies visiting the bushes in my back garden. I'm very much enjoying being back on a training programme. I felt rather lost over the last couple of months.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Will, yes. I saw my physio (he reckoned the foot had been sprained when I slipped, but thought the more recent pain was the muscles tightening up to protect it, so he dug into my calf and ankle which hurt like hell but I felt better after).
    Foot was a bit sore this morning but I decided to risk a run and got through 4 miles with only a couple of minor twinges and no pain afterwards. So, fingers crossed.Obviously I need to know how it holds up to speed work and long distance but, for now, things look more promising.

Glad you're back on a schedule - I am not a happy bunny when I can't train. I was a miserable twat for most of Sunday when I was worried I'd have to take more time off.

JT, how've you managed that? The only time I got a blister under my foot was when I was wearing an orthotic (which I subsequently discarded as it was doing more harm than good).
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The physio assessment sounds positive Cal, that your body's just in its healing/protective state and you're not compounding damage.
    It's the minimal uncushioned shoes. Lack of running means my feet aren't as tough as normal to deal with the pounding, and not so strong and springy to minimise the impact. They don't bother me though. My ear infection is back. Don't think it ever went away, just slunk off to some cavity to wait it out while I poured antibiotics in my ear. It is making me grumpy. As is Twitter. If venereal disease had a penis, and the fetid bacterium on that penis became sentient, and then the sentient bacterial VD penis brain was starved of oxygen for several minutes, and that compromised brain was given a Twitter account... Well anyway, don't know where I'm going with this. I'd probably follow it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mate you sound a bit delirous!
    I used to do all my running in 4mm drop Nike Frees. They're nice and light but my feet would be on fire in the later stages of a marathon. (I have the same issue with shoes with carbon plates, though). I have very thin fat pads on the balls of my feet so they tend not to like the more minimal shoes these days.
  • Hi folks! How you all doing? Couple of runs to report.

Nicked a PB (just) at the weekend Invicta AC 10k. It  was a friend's birthday the night before, so a late night, but I went easy on the drinks.  Got there feeling pretty weary but the cool north easterly woke me up, and we were off. It was at Hernebay, along the seafront so very flat, apart from a big hill at 7 km. I did my usual method for 10k, run 5 min per km for 6 k, then run as fast as I've got in me for the reminder!

I got a 47:50 beating my old PB of 48:34, and 108 of 400. So I was pleased with that considering the unprofessional circumstances. 7.7 minute miles. Some epic runners there, 4 sub 35 minute times. No nature spots, although I look toad-like in my finishing line picture.

Went out for a 4.5 mile training run the next day at just over 8 minute miles, but it made my hip hurt, hope that isn't going to be a long term thing.

That's great news Cal about the foot! I hope it's all good now.

I'm glad you're enjoying the training programme Will, I love my planner stuck on the fridge that I tot up each week. For me, it stops me getting distracted. Awesome picture of the lad.

Great run JT, what drop shoes do you use? I use 4mm Sauconys. They have built up my calves a bit.  I don't get the knee pain I used to with Nike's. Agree with you that social media has given planks a platform to shout from. Woeful at times.

Great run envruk. Do you use a heart rate monitor? Am I right in that 220 - 40 ( my age) = 180. Then 55 to 85% of 180 (bpm) is "recommended safe". I do worry I overdo it sometimes.

Good consistent  running JD1 and Hazlenut.

Considering a short, slow trail run later but will cut it short if hip pain worsens.

Have a great week!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great job on the PB, Linton! Hope the hip is OK.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Managed 8 miles this morning. Very sticky out there. Not a fan of humidity.
    I notice more people smile at me when I'm wearing my old Battersea Dogs and Cats Home charity vest. Guess there are a lot of animal lovers.
    Foot behaved. Achilles grumbled. Happy about the former.
    Realised I have an evening 10K in a week's time. I will do parkrun on Saturday and make a decision based on how that goes.
    Nice pic of Nye Will. Enjoy ticking off the boxes of your plan. 

Good news on the polite dogwalkers JT, less so on the blisters and the ear infection.

Good news regarding the foot Cal. Your race decision sounds sensible.

Well done on your PB LTT - that is a decent chunk off for 10k.  I like your race tactic of starting off cautiously and then blasting the last few k.  Much better than going off too fast and dying in the last few k. That seems quite a fast run you did the next day - 8mm is around the same pace you started your 10k at.  Hope the hip eases fast.

6 and a bit mile group outing yesterday evening - nice conditions for it - sunny with a breeze and only warm rather than hot.  Assorted chat before, during and after organising the annual run and BBQ event.  
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice pic Will,well done Nye.Glad you're enjoying your training plan.

Looking promising Cal,must have been frustrating you not getting out.

Fantastic running Linton,well done on your pb.Always best to start conservatively then picking the pace up.Hope your hip behaves.

Speedy running JT.Agree with you about the knobs on social media .

Hazelnut hope we're getting invites for the  BBQ!

19.42 miles yesterday,kept away from hills and just stayed mostly on the canal.Legs felt much better than my last long run.Craved salt and vinegar crisps when I got home.
    5 miles recovery run this evening,hoped to do club intervals but my legs weren't up to it....surprisingly.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great 10k Linton, and very fine long run JD1. I've got a fair few zero drop shoes by the way. Very minimal just seems to suit the way I run. Wish I could get out and run 20milers for the hell of it again but way off that at the moment. Still, the point of coming back to the thread was to inspire me so give it a couple of months...
    8miles in an hour tonight. Tired and tailing off by the end. Hard work and quite humid out. Wafting smell of cannabis all over the place in the summer evenings, from passing cars and open house windows as much as people out and about. An American commented to his friend he thought I was skipping. There was a fire engine and a bunch of firemen doing I know not what. Another man was wandering about with a hat stand.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll get back to your 20 mi!ers JT,you're heading in the right direction.

Just over 10 miles this morning.8 @ tempo pace,legs felt good and felt good in myself.Spotted a buzzard in a tree and a few half eaten rabbits.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    JT you are much more aware of what's going on around you than I am. Plenty of cannabis smoked in Regent's Park though! 8 miles in an hour sounds like decent pace.

JD1, what a waste of rabbit! Good mileage. 

Cal, great news, you seem to be recovering well. Very pleased for you. I think achilles never bloody heal. What Parkrun are you doing this weekend?

Linton, super 10k PB! Well done, you must have been chuffed. I use my Apple Watch as a HR monitor. It isn't perfect, but I find it's occasional wobbles easy to recognise, so keeping in my HR zones is easy enough. It's transformed my ability to run at the right pace.

Will, good to see you have your purpose back. When you're running at night and the following morning that's a great sign. I haven't quite got there yet! Congrats to your Son, I bet that's worth more than your own PBs and milestones.

Hazel, running and cooking. What a talent. I can't wait to join my club and get a run in, they go to a cracking CAMRA pub once a month.

A sort of Fartlek run here and a fast finish run. I feel like I am getting fitter, but when the heat has such an impact, it's sometimes difficult to tell. No great sites to announce from me. I'll try harder this week!

Happy running everybody.
    Great long run JD.  Salt and vinegar?  Hmm - cheese and onion please..  Will put the invite in the post tomorrow.. ;) 

Agree that you are getting there JT.  And keep looking around - it is always interesting to read what people see, hear and errm smell..

Post-run pub seems an excellent motivation for you to join the club envruk.

Two runs to report: Yesterday a flat 8 mile bus-run combo with 2 sets of strides thrown in.  Forgot to take something to shade my face/eyes with and ran against the sun for nearly an hour.  Hard work.  A farmer had dropped a big round bale of hay in the middle of the track I was using but I could amble round it okay.

This evening 10 miles with a flat warm up and cool down and in the middle 6 repeats of a local killer hill.  Some 60m of up in around 0.3 miles, most of it in the latter half.  Shuffled up and down again.  Pretty pleased to do all 6 planned at a constant pace.   Buzzards, red kites and storks were squabbling over the pickings on a freshly mowed grass field.  Took a small handheld bottle with me but the cap leaked so I didn't really profit from it - now in the bin.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Good consistent daily miles Hazel.
    8.6miles on the road to start in 1hr06:30. Bloody hell it was hard work. Really warm and muggy. My mile times were bouncing around all over the place. Saw a few other runners and they all looked equally knackered. Nearly ran in to a cyclist. Finished at a friends house to check on her cat while she's on holiday. It had shat on the doormat and lulled me in to a playful game of "tickle my belly and... POW! Rip your hand open". I do like cats in spite of their predilection for sudden casual violence.
    I really was out of sorts on the way back. Did a slow 1.8miles, walked for a bit (which in itself was a struggle) and then ran the last 0.7miles. Felt massively hungry which is unusual. Really need to be more sensible about taking water and electrolytes when it's like this rather than just figuring I'll acclimatise and adapt sooner or later. I had a gin and tonic when I got back. That's probably got electrolytes in it or something.
    Everyone's doing great things with their running. It's a real motivation to me.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk, I was considering Bromley. It's an arse to get to but flat, which I need at the moment, and I wanted to get all the grassy ones done before winter.
    JT, cat bellies are a trap, you should know this!
    I passed three lovely cats on my run this morning. If I'd been walking I'd have stopped to pet them all but when I run I stop for no one. (6 miles, this time).
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I know it's a trap Cal, but it was sooo furry. I'm prepared to lose a limb over it.
  • Good electrolyte imbibing, JT. I found myself avoiding the heat by doing another 5am run. Had promised my programme hill reps for that one, but it was too early for that sort of thing. Am hoping the Welsh hills shrink before November. Early morning nurses on their way to work always inspires me to think the world is not all bad. Great no cats on the run but Titsy was waiting for me at home as she knows I'm generous with the treats. 4 miles for a 27 mile week total.
    I run, therefore I am.