2019 London cheaters

1235»

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    That is very sad news indeed, you just wonder why? 

If, as he maintained, all his times were legit, then just run another marathon with a pacer, ffs, would have silenced all his doubters. Even getting close to his times would be OK with me, any 70+ who could run 3hrs or thereabouts is still a fantastic runner.

If his doubters were right, why did he do it and why not just keep denying it? At the end of the day he only cheated himself (alright perhaps the age cat wins would be upsetting to the guy who came 2nd, but its not life or death!)

All very sad.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve recently read ‘So you’ve been publically shamed’, by Jon Ronson. He goes into quite a few cases where people have been shamed online, although there were no runners featured in the book. It’s an interesting read though. 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
     senidM said:
    That is very sad news indeed, you just wonder why? 

If, as he maintained, all his times were legit, then just run another marathon with a pacer, ffs, would have silenced all his doubters. Even getting close to his times would be OK with me, any 70+ who could run 3hrs or thereabouts is still a fantastic runner.

If his doubters were right, why did he do it and why not just keep denying it? At the end of the day he only cheated himself (alright perhaps the age cat wins would be upsetting to the guy who came 2nd, but its not life or death!)

All very sad.

Very sad indeed. I can't quite get my head around it at all. Running and times aren't life and death, but I guess your "good name" might be. 

Report I read said drowning did not seem to be the cause of death. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    yes i would say it wasn't the despair at losing his record but the public outing and reputational damage. He isn't quite who all his friends and family think he is! 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

This is normally one of my favourite threads every year, and it's always good to see people "outed" for cheating. The naming and shaming is fair enough and totally deserved.

But this is another level, taken so far that it someone has lost their life over it. Really sad. Sad that someone went to these lengths to cheat and to deny / hide it, and sad that it came to this.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I can't remember where I heard/read it now (could have been MarathonTalk) but a few months ago it was mentioned that the MarathonInvestigation guy has changed his approach over the last few months in that he no longer goes after the casual cheaters who haven't really cheated anyone else except themselves.  He obviously did quite a few articles about this chap although his site is a bit quiet at the moment, just saying "At this time, I will have no further comments to the media".
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    It's not the Marathon Investigation guy's fault that this has happened. This wasn't the typical "got a bit tired, so turned left at Tower Bridge and kept schtum"-type scenario. This was cheating on a very organised, planned way, resulting in claims of world records and top finishes. The whole thing is really sad, but I hope it doesn't mean marathon cheats can't be called out any more in case there's any repercussions.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rodeo, I know it's not his fault, I was just saying that he's apparently changed his approach over the last few months and mainly focussing on the world records/top finishers.  Regardless, he's probably feeling a bit crap about it all though!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes i'd heard that also. I think more than anything he simply didn't have time to chase every lead he was sent so decided to concentrate on the bigger fish.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

I think Derek from Marathon Investigation has been getting a mixture of criticism and support for years. He has been very successful in identifying and highlighting cheats, but there's also been a lot of criticism, and comments like "who cares? why does this matter to him? who put him in charge? there's no harm done, what's the problem, etc." He's maybe toned back his approach to reduce the grief he gets from people, and it has to be said, most race organisers don't really seem to care about cheating (how come Derek consistently identified issues which the race organisers could have found themselves?), so it's understandable to concentrate on the more high-profile cases (he was doing this on a voluntary basis, after all).

I agree that Derek probably will probably feel shit about this (but he shouldn't)- it's just so sad that it got to this point with this guy.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Anyone else disappointed there is no 2021 marathon cheats thread....??
  • Well, I found #32366, who appears to have arrived very late at the start and decided to take a short cut to get to 20k in under an hour
  • #23113, classic duck across to the other side of the highway after halfway.
    Although there's no time at 40k, so quite likely one of those "went through the finish because it seemed the best way to get his bag back" rather than a deliberate cheat
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately if you go up 1 number you will see his wife has the same issues,and they have both been boasting how good it was so sadly a deliberate. 
  • I can't find her result but so much for so much for giving him the benefit of the doubt, eh?  Once they start to brag it's time to pie 'em.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There's an article in the sun online about a couple that reproduced her number for her husband and they both ran together. 11250. 
  • Blimey, caught bang to rights in the photos.  Don't they realise this is the event that put a homeless man in jail for cheating?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lol, completely forgot about that. Still seems a completely ridiculous outcome that one!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    In 2018 (the hot year) one chap had missed out a timing mat or two and was photographed smiling with his medal after conveniently clocking a V55 qualifying time of 3:13.  I was curious as to where he had earned his GFA time (he was sporting a green GFA number).  He had an unusual Dutch sounding name so would be easy enough to find.  His times on PO10 suggested there was no way he could run a GFA (best half circa 1:50).  A bit of detective work found his GFA time from a previous York marathon in 3:12.  Only, the photos under this chaps name were of a shortish man with hair and a different christian name on his vest.  The man in the London photos was tall and bald!  So our not so flying Dutchman had persuaded a 'mule' to run his GFA time for him.  Just shows how pathetically desparate some people are to run this event.
  • That's sleuthing worthy of Marathon Investigations Wardi, good job!
  • dellighted to find this - some 2 and a half years after i started the thread!! 

anyone spot number 11250. have a look at the photos - her partner photocopied her bib!!!!
  • sorry see ive been beaten to it - funny though.

data harder to download and analyse this time?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Seen some floating around from Berlin
    https://berlin.r.mikatiming.net/2021/?content=detail&fpid=search&pid=search&idp=HCH3C0OH310C2&lang=EN_CAP&event=BML&search[start_no]=55934&search_event=BML
    Pretty obvious looking at his start pace,disappeared then hammered it 

The son and father have both been disqualified,mum to follow I'd imagine.
  • I remember way back in 2018 seeing one of the pacers standing in the queue for the toilets around half way, he then missed the timing mats upto 35 k !