Advice for a New runner & few questions

Good Morning All,
New to the forum and looking for a little bit of advice on if i'm doing things right or not?
I have never done running and only about 3 weeks into it and so far absolutely love it! I'm gutted on the nights i cant go feel like its a waste of a night which not sure how long that will last but for now, i'll enjoy it.
Last night i attempted my first EVER 5k and feel so good and proud of myself for doing it :smiley:

This is my progress...(Distance - Time - Avg pace (km)
1. 3.28k - 00:18:33 - 5:39 km
2. 3.23k - 00:18:20 - 5:41 km
3. 3.26k - 00:17:09 - 5:16 km
4. 3.26k - 00:17:11 - 5:16 km
5. 3.24k - 00:16:48 - 5:11 km
6. 3.27k - 00:17:02 - 5:13 km (Had a bit of back ache this day)
7. 5.02k - 00:26:11 - 5:13 km

Am i doing it right? Is there any issues / concerns i'm not aware of which 'experts' would be?
Do i keep pushing my 5k time or mix it between the 2miler (3.2k) one I've been doing?

Any advice would be much appreciated, i'm running "blind" at the moment.

Comments

• ash493ash493 ✭✭
    very impressive Webby03. No advice for you I'm afraid as I only part way through the C25K but good luck and hope you carry on enjoying it
  • xink1982xink1982 ✭✭✭

Hi Webby - My running days are sadly limited these days - but I would advise you to join a club. You will learn more about tempo runs, meet new friends and no doubt improve your fitness more with more structured training.

I joined my club in 2009 and my first 10k was 45 minutes.

Within 2 to 3 years I was constantly running sub 40.

Where I live there is a 800 metre stretch of pavement with no roads and one of my sessions involved running that distance at about 70 -80% max speed, resting for 2 minutes or so and repeating this 5 or 6 times.

That's a 4k session where your working hard and getting a recovery instead of slogging it out on a long run

Good Luck

• > @xink1982 said:

Thank you very much for your advice, i think i have a similar straight pathway which i could use, could be ideal to try that.
    I was going to get my fitness up before joining a club as feel im not fit enough yet, but will look to join one.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about fitness in terms of joining a club Webby03. Clubs have a wide variety of abilities when it comes to running and looking at your times above I would say you wouldn't be the slowest.
  • This is my first time running as a sport.
    To cut straight to the chase, I gained a lot of weight in the past year (I've always been 130 - 140 range prior) and made a lifestyle change to get back on track in my health during the first week of August. I'm Asian, 22, 5'5, and started at 190 pounds
    What else can I do to increase my performance? I am considering getting an Asics for comfort reasons, any better suggestion? I eventually want to build up to run a 5k, 10k etc..but how fast should I be expecting progress, and what kind of mileage per week should I be doing for someone with my description (I'm still very much overweight)?
    By the way, which app do you guys use in tracking the running performance? I'm using the Strava from Apknite but it doesn't meet my requirements.
    With that out of the way, send any of your tips!
    Sorry for posting it in this thread. I don't see the New thread button!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi James - best thing I could suggest at this moment is to use the C25K (couch to 5K) app to get you started. Lots of people have been introduced to running via the app. The advantage is that it takes you through building up to running a 5K at a pace that's suitable for you. Once you've got to 5K then you can start to think about pushing on.

As for the Asics I think comfort at this stage is important, so go for it. As you progress more you may want to get your gait analysed to see if Asics are suitable for you, but at the moment I suspect that wouldn't be an issue.

Good luck and remember to take things slowly and easily. 
  • Hi Webby03, really impressed with those times considering you've just started running! Try to stick to a routine is my best advice. I've run on and off for years, but feel so much happier when I have a routine of going out regularly. Do whatever you're comfortable with, but always set yourself targets! 
  • Hi Webby03,

They're fantastic times for someone new to running. I'm new here too, so unfortunately don't have much by way of advice, but can offer a little bit of encouragement - keep up the good work!