Trochanteric Bursitis

Hi, saw my GP about my right hip pain last night who has diagnosed Trochanteric Bursitis. Has given me some Naproxen painkillers and told me not to run. Does anyone have any experience of this? Can I run once the pain & inflammation subsides?
I've only recently got into running, having finally found an mode of exercise that I enjoy, I'd be gutted if I can't continue.
Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• xink1982xink1982 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I did suffer from Hip Bursitis myself a few years ago - The Cause? Upping my mileage too soon and too quickly - It's generally an over training issue.

The stabbing pain your getting is because the Hip is aggravated and inflamed - Do not under any circumstances run through pain or run on painkillers as your only going to put yourself out of action for longer.

You need to rest up I'd say for at least 4 to 6 weeks and then try a slow 5 minute run or so and see what reaction you get.. If the stabbing pain comes back stop immediately and try again in 2 weeks

The good news is that my Bursitis did not return after my injury.

The bad news is that I was out for 10 to 12 weeks.

• Thanks xink1982,
    I had been doing the Couch to 5k programme and had just finished. I know my body wasn't used to so much exercise but I didn't think I've overdone it, but I obviously had.
    Do you think it would be safe to still walk on the treadmill? I want to still remain a little active if I can (swimming/cycling are really not my idea of fun), so a gentle walk would be good if possible.
    Also, my GP gave me some exercises to do for Bursitis, which I'm doing. Do you think foam rolling my IT band would do any good/harm?
  • xink1982xink1982 ✭✭✭

Yeah Walking, Swimming and stationary cycling are all fine - All low impact stuff even through they may not all be ideally fun. The main thing is to stop immediately whenever that stabbing pain comes back. If your at the gym I would advise against the stepping machine and possibly the cross trainer as again, your working your hip joint.

The foam roller and other rehab exercises wont do you any harm - I never personally found them a massive help in my rehabs but by all means feel free to try them.

• I've had trochanteric bursitis a few times - more often before I was a runner than since so it's quite possibly nothing at all to do with the increase in your activity level. You don't want to be running whilst you're taking Naproxen.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Thanks Little Miss Happy. Can I ask what you did to get rid of it each time? And what was the cause of it? Thanks.
  • I don't know the cause but quite possibly an imbalance as I had an undiagnosed leg length discrepancy and my pelvis would often go out of alignment and need straightening up. I would take anti-inflammatories if required for pain relief (but found a bag of frozen peas quite effective especially after a run) and kept moving as much as pain allowed.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.