Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    There was an article about it in the Times yesterday - saying it is the future of track racing and the only way it will survive.....

Spot on re BP. The week after would be better, but wife and daughter fly back from hols that day, so may be pushing my luck!

Cracking report SG and a very solid team performance.

LSR today. Miserable affair, with no energy! 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Another epic SG. Well done.

I note the anticipation prior to the run 'Have you run yet?' 'as I was whiter than a sheet! One needs to stop thinking at these times. It's way too draining.

I had a bad one prior to one of those RNR legs. I'd arrived at the change over. It was in the depths of the night. I was tired from the drive, it was cold. I was cold and the feeling of dread that I had about twenty miles to run when feeling I'd rather be asleep just about stopped me.

So, I had half a flask of coffee, went for a walk about, had a short sleep and when I awoke, found I was flying around during a warm up. Game on.

Well done on the parkruns Bus, Pete. I can't get within a minute of those right now, and not sure if that's going to change either. Ok for a long run at a lesser pace though.

Tbf, I think I'm better on a bike,
    On Thursday I went and rode 53 miles averaging about 19 mph up to a place called Haddington Hill.
    I hardly had to strain myself doing this.

I tend to ride on a big gear even up hills. Spinning a low gear seems to put me in oxygen debt where steady pressure doesn't. 
    The stuff about knees being strained cycling like this probably doesn't apply to me. I simply don't have the power.

A run the next day was a bit duff but a 16 mile run the day after was better. My legs were good, lungs not so good. That appears to be the limiting factor right now.

🙂

• Decent miles tho Ric. Epic report SG - good to see you putting sokme effort in. Good PR Bus!!

Still not feeling 100% here - not exactly bunged up, but waiting for the snot to stop being green (I've heard that's when the infection stops, but it's been since last Weds now, usually gone by now.

Pete - Parliament Hill looked good again, seems really amateur now looking back to when I did it! Too slow now!

No running really - trailed round the kid when he did his junior parkrun at Moors Valley. I was down in Poole visiting the folks so the only other exercise was a nice walk to the beach hut through Branksome Gardens. Managed to get in the sea - it's warmed up loads since last month.

A lot more drink than of late. I might have mentioned one of my childhood friends passed away in January this year, so we were round his parents for a bit of a Barbie and send off type thing which was lovely. However 6/7 drinks outweighed the 2 bottles of non alcoholic San Miguel! Then Sunday Our friend 'Mr Parkrun' (who actually worked for them and set up loads of them near us) was back in LB after moving back home to Aus. He now works for Parkrun down under and has coverage over SE Asia too or something. So had a few more last night - really good for getting over a cold...not!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reminds me. I have a beer that needs dealing with right now.

Nursing a slightly tweaked muscle in the chest at the moment, caused I suspect by some over enthusiastic hedge trimming work. One gadget I use weighs nearly 10kg so usually all I get is an upper body workout. 

A run should be ok despite that, surely?

Having now tried a run, it's surprising how distracting the discomfort of trying to breath properly can be. But 21 miles is a reasonable outing all the same. Saved the legs having to rein in the pace. But stopped way too often. 

🙂

• Well done on the relays and the 5k Stevie, the 1500m SC and the 5k Bus. Some fast and voluminous sessions from Stevie Wh and Ric too. Congrats to Pete and Wool with decent 10ks in the heat and humidity, and MattH with a hilly 5 mile race if I remember correctly ? Apols. if I missed anything else from anyone. 

Quiet last week for me, with a head cold brewing which is now slowly dissipating. Last week was meant to be an overload week, so that's now this week.

To get the ball rolling I did a mini sesh at lunch. Originally this was scheduled for last week as 6x 3 mins (5k) off 90s recovery, but with only 30 mins to play with today I made it 5 x 2 mins mega sweaty flailing limbs fast (so prob around 10k pace :D).

Hopefully will be able to make a local 10k tomorrow for an in race tempo run. Prob. will shoot for around 10 mile pace in that unless I get carried away. Unlikely though as marathon training is ramping up with 50 mins tonight and 30 mins in the morning planned ahead of that.

Hilly trail half marathon also planned on Sunday, will do it progressively to catch around 30 mins of actual half marathon effort at the uphill finish.
  • RicF said:

Having now tried a run, it's surprising how distracting the discomfort of trying to breath properly can be. But 21 miles is a reasonable outing all the same. Saved the legs having to rein in the pace. But stopped way too often. 

Had a look at your route on Strava and you seem to have caught the SG bug part way in. Nice start through Mad Bess Woods but soon after onto roads and seem to stay there. The middle chunk of your route follows closely the Country 2 Capital ultra route which runs down Old Shire Lane and is a really nice route.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric - that's a monster run, especially in the humidity epidemic we're ensconced in. Surprised your inner Ric wasn't telling you you're naughty for running on a niggle though.

Classic from you Muddy. I simply wouldn't have the discipline to purposely hold back. Claim it as tempo afterwards, by all means, but not before :D

Back to top end speedwork today, after what must be about 4 weeks, pre Endure! I have done a couple of 5k/relay turnouts, and there was the 4x1600 progressives, but those peaked at about 5.40 pace.

Today was the 8x400 at 1500 intensity, off 2mins.

Started keenly at 1.12 and i remember feeling particularly hungry then, almost as if my meagre muscle total had eaten itself in those 2 reps :)

3x1.14 as it levelled out, but finishing with a bit of hands on knee action.
    1.15, 1.16x2 as I held on.

So 1.14 isn't too bad as an average, probably starting 1.13/1.14 would have seen it through consistently.
    Probably makes sense versus the 1.16 the last time I did the zone below,pre endure.

It's tough, trying to hit the top paces isn't it? Maybe not for the Simon types, but I dare say for most of us, it's a bit of a culture shock. Especially with my little gap.
    Super humid too, I give myself that!!
    I even started thinking to longer races in the autumn..need to clamp down on that!!
  • Sunday seems to be very busy near us. The old Wycombe Half, now rebranded the Hell-Fire Half starts and ends at Adams Park and goes through West Wycombe and also L'Etape UK is on the same day and the long route also goes through West Wycombe. The routes do not overlap but I am not sure how the road closures from the half will impact on the cycle support structure.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That 10k/half "should" be one I look at, being on my doorstep.

But a hilly MT slog this time of year?
    Just asks for a shocking performance at best, and some sort of meltdown at worst :O
  • It seems to me that a lot of "races" are now experiences so the Wycombe Half was always a relatively well-attended road race and now it is in the process of morphing to an event where beards will be compulsory. 

In the good old days, we had proper races with proper runners running the race. Now those have gone and we have mass events with the chance that the front end is OK for athletes.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Phil - obvs I had a different kind of "experience" at the last of the old Wycombe halfs, in 2015.

The race was already on the way down then, I think no more than 500 even did the half that year, but even suffering the meltdown I have referenced many a time I still came 16th
    I did wonder about what everyone behind me was doing :)

And alas, I could have been right amongst the mixer at the front end that day. Never mind!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    RicF said:

Had a look at your route on Strava and you seem to have caught the SG bug part way in. Nice start through Mad Bess Woods but soon after onto roads and seem to stay there. The middle chunk of your route follows closely the Country 2 Capital ultra route which runs down Old Shire Lane and is a really nice route.
    I used to run down the footpaths connected with Old Shire Lane Phil. But in those days I was inclined to drive out to the Chess Valley due to where I was living at the time being so built up.

Now I'm only a few yards from 'off road', so tend to go that way most runs. But once I get past Bayhurst the choices off road are somewhat fuzzy. So often I end up on the roads.

I could do a recce with the OS map to re-establish some former routes. But since HS2 has cut across the area, I may find myself blocked out by diggers. Chalfont lane has been put out of bounds for the next eight years!

Mainly my routes long distance are planned around going not much further than five miles before topping up the fluids. That might limit the variety of scenery, but also limits the strain caused by dehydration.

Anyway, whatever the niggle was, it's almost gone. Ok on the bike today. 

Ten weeks to the RNR.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that a lot of "races" are now experiences so the Wycombe Half was always a relatively well-attended road race and now it is in the process of morphing to an event where beards will be compulsory. 

In the good old days, we had proper races with proper runners running the race. Now those have gone and we have mass events with the chance that the front end is OK for athletes.
    And the rest Phil.

http://www.wansteadbirder.com/2018/09/the-modern-man.html

🙂

• Good session Muddy, likewise SG - It is very humid at the moment, but it vccould be a bit better today. You'd be better in cooler weather, we generally do our monster 20 x 400 sessons in March/April/May.

So Southern vets last night. struggled through the crap west London tube system (black hole of Calcutta) to get to Perivale, took me 80 mins!! (compared to 58 mins door to door to get 40 miles home).

Only had 30 mins before the 800, the Serpies 2.06 guy wasn;t there, just had Rob the TVH guy to battle with. So us two went off at the front, me tracking him through the bell in 65. This carried on into the 2nd lap, I only got round him with 150 to go, ending up with 2.08.1, better than I thought, happy with the 2nd lap.

Bit of a warm down/up then the 3000m. Serpies guy I hadn't seen before went off in the lead for the first 2 laps at about 76/77 pace. I went past him then with my clubmate Raj behind me. Tried then on to try and get it back to 75's for the rest of the race, only really doing that on the last lap to come home with 9.22.7, Raj finishing 15 seconds back.

Decent night's workout which will fet us to the final at Ashford in September. Felt ok too - still not got properly rid of my annoying green snot - it's not even a runny nose either and it's not always green. I think the high pollen count is something to do with it. Next stop Worthing on Saturday in the SAL, just the 1500 so hoping to try and get that back to near 4.10.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Green snot? Beautiful. Conjures up a memory of a geezer after one of our XC races with what I could only describe as "yellow worm like snot" up his nose. I'll never forget that image.
    Decent outing too!

I've an actual F OFF in terms of work tomorrow, so did debate a running THUR OFF or the medium long run.
    Went for the latter, telling myself I'd "do 8", but had licence to add more if I fancied.

Bit of a mix of out and back, and thought i'd try the mysterious left hand turn round the Jubilee River that I'd never tried. It vaguely keeps to the same direction, so I thought it can only need a little turn at the end to get back to work.

However....as I went down a long road, the sinking feeling began, and then saw "Eton Wick" started thinking "heck", obviously thinking, Etton Wick is near Eton, and Eton is near Windsor, and Windsor iswell away from not only Slough, but where I work :D

Therefore, back the way I'd come for about 1.5miles, back to the Jubilee, back to work, and a bit knackered...7.08 pace which is decent for a bit of untidy footing, just a little bit stressy, and still not easy weather :o

Obviously looking at the blooming map now, I notice that if I'd just carried on, there was an easy right hand turn straight back to my work, as Eton Wick, AINT actually that near Eton at all, and thus wasn't too far away.

Would still have had to take the right turn, rather than end up even further away, obvs!

You lives and learns!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    this is why I still lurk on here - 

PMJ - "It seems to me that a lot of "races" are now experiences so the Wycombe Half was always a relatively well-attended road race and now it is in the process of morphing to an event where beards will be compulsory. "

made me dig into the records, and I see that almost 24 years to the day (16/07/1995) , I ran the Wycombe Half.  I even have a pic of my clean chinned self finishing on Wycombe Rye (although I'd forgotten those dodgy green shorts)  . . . 
  • SG - The only bit of that area I know is the walk from TVH track to upton where the Chiltern league xc is.
  • birch, proper runners back in the 90s. The start of the old half was always the widest start of the year so lined up no more than 1 or 2 deep for a cavalry charge across the Rye.

I see there is an unofficial running race today on the Tour de France route up the La Planche des Belles Filles. About 6km but 500m of climbing and a 30-second handicap per year of age, so Ned Boulting (who is 50 today) gets a 10-minute start on the 30-year-old youngster. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Was it John McFarlane, who one year did the Wyc half, won it by miles, even stopping to put a plaster on a blister (!), and said in the paper that he "knew noone was going" with him, as soon as the end of the park!

Bearing in mind that can only be about 800metres in, and people shoot off like animals on the flat, that's always struck me as an amazing thing to say so soon into a half marathon!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Lots going on in here!

Great report and result for the team SG, I still chuckle every time you get lost!

Great racing as usual Simon! 

Hope the 10k went well Muddy, decent session in the humidity. Did you hear back from the Fast Running coaching?

Having a pretty good week. Session of 3 x 2k/1k on Tuesday went well. Plan was to progress from just outside 10k/5k pace. Came out as 6.03/5.48, 5.59/5.48, 5.58/5.44 slightly outside where I was aiming but felt in control and could have done another set if needed. That showed as last nights 8m recovery came out at 8.00/132BPM with my legs feeling fresh! Swim tonight then 5m at hard tempo tomorrow on the plan
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Excellent session there Stevie, you seem in really good shape and can envisage many pb's at the shorter distances for you this year.

Usual excellent track stuff Simon; sounds like you were a notch above that opposition.

3rd of the Dinton 5k series last night but a bit of a disaster. Quite a sultry night but nothing exceptional and all went to plan apart from a few travel/parking delays that meant the start was put back 10 mins. Off to my usual sort of start and the ran nearly 4k each in around 3'45 but then sudden, but not intense, pain in the hamstring and knew something was amiss. Had to decide whether to stop and DNF (and probably should have done) but plugged on through increasing pain and managed to finish with about a 4 min k in 19'09. My mind was so off the game though I was heading the wrong way and off for a 2nd lap with the 10k'ers till the RD shouted me back into the finishing funnel! Somehow still won the v50 trophy again but that meant little the way I was feeling. Race was won by SG's mate Sankey in about 18'02 I think. He seems right back at his best. 

Afterwards struggled to even walk back to the car and my leg doesn't feel at all good despite icing and Ibuprofen. Physio booked this morning and will have to hope for the best. Bit annoying as I have the last race still to come in each of the summer series I've been trying to win the v50 cat in. I also have M'head 1/2 in 7 weeks where I have my England Age Cat representation. Guess all of that is a bit doubtful now and, at best, will have shortened training periods :/
  • Oh No Pete! nightmare and strange for it to happen when you are 'warm' as such. Hoping for a miracle recovery.

SW - Good signs, I'd like to do some training too soon, just race to race at the moment. Oh yeah, SAL tomorrow ;)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Tough one there Pete.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I've had a few muscle injuries in my time and a hell of a lot which I thought were. 

The real injuries didn't really hurt at all. They just went into spasms.  It wasn't pain that stopped me, it was both legs trying to go in the same direction at once. 

The other type; which I've mentioned l o a ds  of t im es .. (collective yawn from all) is the un-sticking job. Feels bad. Sore, painful. Seems to happen during the heat of summer I noticed.

I believe myself that hard running in the heat, a tad of dyhydration with too light a warm down, helps some internal structures get hooked up. It's only the next really intensive outing that drives enough blood into the area to release them.

That said, when I did a hamstring good and proper, I was running up a hill and it was like someone had belted me across the butt with a plank of wood. That was the combination of the sound and the impact.

I remember turning to face the mystery assailant to politely ask wtf they were up to. No one there.

Good luck.

🙂

• Unlucky Pete, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a long term issue. I'm at Maidenhead too and hope to see you and others from the thread - but no need to properly break yourself to get there.

StevieWh & StevieG - It was actually quite easy to hold back on the 10k on the night, despite me discovering on arrival that it was the 10k county champs ! I had a long day with a lot of rushing about and not much food. Cheese on toast pre-race (not advisable), barely any warmup and so I set off at threshold effort, and stayed around that to finish in 37.04 on an undulating course. I may have been first v45 in the county champs too- but hard to say as this lot don't rush the results out. I felt like the second oldest finisher and the chap ahead of me was v50 but some of these v45s are pretty youthful looking, so I could be mistaken :D Chap I finished about 40 seconds ahead of at the Speedway 10k finished 3rd, so there may have been a better result there for the taking if I'd had fresh legs.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Simon I guess with the shorter stuff you can race yourself fit! Certainly isn't doing you any harm anyway.

Pete - Congrats on the series win, hopefully you get some good news from the physio. Hamstrings can be a tricky one to heal. I actually don't have many shorter races booked, 5000m track challenge in a couple of weeks is it! Then Telford 10k in December and maybe another local one

Muddy - That's a decent threshold effort and not ideal prep! What is the Conducive Education 10k like? Thinking of entering that
  • StevieWh - It's two laps around Cannon Hill Park with an extra out bit along a narrow path - it's got a ludicrously fast downhill start. It's not closed though, so you are navigating other park users, and the weather and surfaces can be dodgy in November. It's light up front as evidenced by me finishing 2nd last year. I'll do it if I'm feeling lively and if I can't make the trip for the Leeds Abbey Dash.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Probably give it a go then, be a good blow out as I get back from holiday on the 24th so just enough time to remember how to run again! Can then have a good 5 weeks until Telford
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear Pete - sounds like you could just about ride the adrenaline forcefield to see it out. I dare say most would have done the same. Hopefully it eases out quickly and isn't a bad one.

SW - you're in that great place of desire and ability homing in on maximum. I remember in football peaking in desire at 23/24. I was fitter later on of course, but the desire had massively relinquished.

Bday F OFF today, and decided both in work and running. 40 miles Mon to Thur and was probs overdue.
    Therefore, today is mostly lounging around, though when a pal drops a card in a a while, I'll get a lift back to his work, at least have a wander for a couple of miles. Either back by town, or back through some woods.

May even have a snifty of a parkrun tomorrow as I've had my weekly lie in today :)
    If not, either strides, or some sort of effort included, probably.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday SG!

You are right about the motivation, feel really focused at the moment. I'm even keeping up with the S&C and stretching which I would normally neglect!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday SG! Catching me up! Commit to that parkrun with a few ks either side!

Reasonable 5k for me last night at a very puddly Sale Sizzler: never had such black legs in a road race! Best WAVA for 2 years or so: 76.71%. The aim for the year has been to get back under 22 after a couple of years of injury after injury. 21:52 last night. Plenty more to come I hope if I can stay niggle free. Need to do an LFoM again some time relatively soon: October looks the most likely. Missed the cheap train tickets for September!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.