New Runner..Big Guy 105kg 16.5 Stone 231 pounds etc..6 min miles

Hi Guys,

I have recently just started running, I am quite a big guy (fat and muscle) I weigh 105kg at 5ft 9.5 and 30 years old.

I started running 2 weeks ago. First run, decided to go all in and did 6 miles straight off the bat in the heat (UK), it took me 1:00:03 to run 6.35 miles before I had to stop and throw up, nearly collapsed etc... since then been doing 4 miles and 3 miles here and there.

Today I ran my longest, which was 8 miles in 1:06:46 averaging about 8:20 per mile. I would like to get this down to 6 minutes mile. How quickly could I get this down,? Does anyone have any plans? 8 min mile to 6 min? Ideally I would like to keep some size. Is it unreasonable to expect my mileage to get down from from 8:20 to 6 min in 3 months???? but still remain relatively big? Are there any 90kg-100kg+ guys who run 6 min miles?

Lastly, when i first ran I was out of breath and kept huffing and puffing, today I found it really strange that I ran my longest and fastest PB , I did not feel out of breath at all, but my legs were totally drained. I felt had my legs not given out I could of done more! Yet my legs are quite strong in terms of squats and leg press.. Any tips? Does anyone else get headaches after their run?

Comments

• Sounds like your hitting it hard despite it being quite a new thing. Would slowing down and building up not be better in the long run?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    It's been done before.

Peter Mayer of Canada was 18 stone @ 5' 10" and started running and dieting. After one year he was down to 12 stone and broke 60 minutes for ten miles.

Eighteen months later weighing 10 stone 8, he won the Toronto Marathon in 2:12!

It's power to weight ratio that's key. Heavily muscled and over weight to start with is a huge advantage. Just lose fat (some muscle will go too) and the times come tumbling down as a matter of course.

No need to exert yourself at all really.

🙂

• Why do you want to get to a 6 minute mile? 

If you only want to run 1 mile in 6 minutes I think you may be able to do it in 3 months! But if you are looking to run a 10k at that pace in 3 month you have no chance. Train for a year, loose some weight and you may have a shot at it.
  • > @Listless said:
    > Sounds like your hitting it hard despite it being quite a new thing. Would slowing down and building up not be better in the long run?

hmm i think it may be me being impatient. 8 miles again today slower time in 01:07!

> @RicF said:
    > Wow thats awesome.. I am not expecting to win a marathon but definitely looking to make some great gains and lose weight!

@bigballer69 I am joining the Army, I need to get my BMI down as I am considered obese (even though I can bang out 10 full extension strict slow pullups at my weight) and I really would like to impress at my assessment in September. The standard for my regiment is to run 2k in less than 11:15 which I can however I would like to impress and get run time to Para Standard which is 2k in less than 8:15..I have a aim to get loaded straight onto P-Company after my phase 2 training!

my weekly mileage is about 12 miles per week, from what I understand the best way to improve running is time spent on the road...so should i increase my mileage by 1 mile per week?

This is the plan I have in my head -

15/07/2019
    Mon - 8 mile run
    Tues - Leg Conditioning - 180 lateral banded squats, 60 running lunges, might start ankely mobility and knee mobility and hip mobility to warm up and basically might try to fit any conditioning exercises to help with running
    Wed - Rest
    Thurs - Run either Mile repeats or Hill Sprints -3-4 miles
    Frid-Rest
    Sat-Gym Pullups Pressups situps etc..
    Sun-Rest

Total running mileage 12 miles

Week Commencing 22/07/10 -Same format but plan to fit in an extra run maybe best effort 2 miles?

(I dont count walking I walk 2 miles to and from work ever day so thats a total of 4 miles per day walking, dont think that helps in anyway though lol

Happy to make a changes? if anyone has any suggestions.
  • Para Standard which is 2k in less than 8:15- So you basically want to run a mile and a quarter at 6 min mile pace. I think you should be able to do that in 3 months. You are able to run 8 miles at 8.5 min miles at the minutes so probably not far off where you need to be. Perhaps try an all out 2k effort after a light warm up at some point. Loosing some weight will definitely help you reach your goal.

Your plan above looks fine most training programs include a long run-8 miles is more than enough for a beginner, a workout-repeats and hill sprints will suffice. Can probably add in a few more short runs but keep the pace slow, even slower on the long run.

IMO walking 4 miles everyday must be helping you. I doubt many people your size who don't do any aerobic exercise could run 8 miles after only 2 weeks of training let alone at the pace you did. If possible you could look at running your commute instead a few days. Even if its just back home so you ca shower, a 4 mile run should take the same amount of time as a 2 mile walk so will cost you nothing time wise.

• @bigballer69

Ok great thanks for the advice! That's a good idea, yeh will do 1 after work. Glad to know I am on the right track, I think I will keep this open as a log and update my run times etc!
  • I'm a pretty big guy - 6' 7" and 19 stone 10 lbs (125kg). I'm in OK shape - I do a lot of rugby, cycling, running in the gym and lift in the gym a lot but it's obviously a lot of weight to carry around. I ran my first 5km on Saturday and got a time of 23:25, which I was pretty annoyed about since it was a lot slower than I can achieve on the treadmill and I felt quick knackered. I've signed up for a 10km run in September and I'm a bit clueless regarding how to continue my training outdoors - I struggle to more than a session a week (and a couple on the treadmill) with all the other sport I do. Does anyone have any feedback about the best structure for a training regime?
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Pars1973:

You shouldn't be too hard on yourself as you've a 30+ BMI and can clock a 23:25 5k. Try and fit another run in to your schedule making it an easy effort (same applies for your other runs, too). Any timber you can shift prior to your 10k will be a bonus.

You got me wondering about pro-rugby running requirements and the one I found that stuck out was a Springbok prop has to attain a 12:45 3k minimum qualifying standard!

Fair do's.
  • First of all, kudos to you! You sound like you are really determined.
    Headaches after running are a clear sign of over doing it - you might need to slow down a bit.
    In terms of how long it takes to take your time down - it took me four months to see improvement on my timing but in month five I seem to be going backwards. So it can happen both ways, not to worry - and I think it is down to the food intake (and alcohol in my case) the night before.
    So I guess that I would also look at what you are eating during this time- are you eating the same or have you made any changes? That should also help with losing weight...