Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi gang. Just a quick check-in as I've been sulking for over a week. Woke up last Wednesday with groin pan and all sorts of things happening with the hip flexors. I don't mind getting injured after a run or exercise but after being sensible and resting completely for two days and doing only a bit of easy core the night before where I felt nothing had gone wrong, I was mighty miffed to find myself limping for the next 5 days and unable to run a step.

Intensive icing and foam rolling seems to be helping and I think I'll be OK for the Race To The Stones on Saturday, although a 100k is not ideal for testing out injury recovery!

Still, the time doesn't matter, just need to sensibly WUJARD, Walk up, Jog along, Run down. My head is ready if the body isn't.

Meanwhile I treated myself to the Garmin Fenix 5 as I needed the battery to last for over 13 hours which the 235 had no chance of. 
    It's also great for swimming with. Popped to the Lido first thing yesterday and got a new mile PB (37 mins) and the distance was accurately tracked by the watch which really helped mid-session.

Just scan read this page and it looks like Stevie is hitting the water too. I agree that the running endurance really helps the swimming. I've never been any good at swimming but a mile is very straightforward, I'm definitely not quick like OO but I just need to get around two one mile laps of the Serpentine in September at whatever time, which I feel is doable...slowly!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Stevie my left shoulder or neck seems to always go when I try to get some swimming done ( could never get onto it and find it very frustrating) ,sounds like you are getting on well.
    0054 cracking 5k and sub 18 is a great achievement well done, we knew you could do it .
    SBD cracking mileage I have possibly a 5k tomorrow before nightshift , a 15k on 21st and a half on 3rd august ,signed up to a few regardless of fitness (lack off) lol
    Dt smash that 10k best of luck
    Speedy no prize for second is poor did you even get to stand on a podium ?
    Gdawg  100k is a long way but you have a few days yet to see how it goes.
    Badbark how are you baring up now ???

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey GDawg great swimming. Do you think the injury might have been caused by swimming?
    I've come down with manflu so resting today. I'm worried I'll not be recovered for my 5k on Thursday.
    Would be great to hear from Badbark...
  • G-Dawg said:

Still, the time doesn't matter, just need to sensibly WUJARD, Walk up, Jog along, Run down. 

For me, down is probably as hard as up, so I would WURAJD. On my Sunday LSR, my slowest mile was net downhill.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good point, PMJ. Whatever happens, I'll be taking it easy most of the way. Complete, not compete (so they tell me!).
    I have 14 hours to finish in time to make the shuttle bus back to the car. 

OO - No, I don't think the swimming caused anything, I hadn't been in the water for over a week due to work commitments. Hope the man-flu was just a 24 hour job.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi thread.  I've been AWOL as I was ill (cold which really affected my breathing), away (walking in Austria: internet free at 2000m!) and then annoyingly sprained my ankle AGAIN so am just back to run/walking.  And am now FV40.  A real veteran.

I have skimmed back over the last month, but have probably missed a lot.  Fingers crossed I can put illness/injury related sulky absences behind me now!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Jools happy birthday oldun ! Hope you can get back at it soon.
    Local 5k tonight before night shift raining very heavy before and as I finished but dry during the race thankfully 21:12 was the score for me .
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy 40 Jools!

Solid racing, Leslie.

G-dawg, take it easy at the event!

Tough nights racing last night. Was hoping for sub 39 but came in 39.22 on garmin. It was very humid and the course (new course) had 365ft of elevation. I was going well, going through 5k in about 19.20, however a lengthy climb at 6k took the wind out of me and I overheated quite a bit, then another sharp climb bang on 8k finished me off. It was a tough course as you were never running flat for long enough to get into a rhythm. Just as you settled there would be an up or downhill.

Magor in 3 weeks  with its 25ft of elevation gain should be a completely different proposition.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Jools. Hope you had a great holiday otherwise and are eager to win lots of V40 trophies. I never really won anything until I turned 40.
    Good run Leslie, not too shabby at all. Sounds like a tough one DT, will probably take a few shorter races to get the pace up if it’s a priority for you.
    I have a fast 5k tonight, so hope the head cold has no effect. Feel fine but will see when I start racing.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Hope the race goes well tonight OO.

DT - That's a great performance on a tough sounding course. I was sweating buckets on my easy run let alone at 10k race pace!

G-Dawg - I definitely wouldn't say a mile swim is straightforward! Still haven't gone any further than a km, I am being cautious though as running is the priority and I don't want to fatigue myself. Be interested to know what you think of the Fenix 5, I've been looking at upgrading to the 945. Also looking at Polar as an alternative option, anyone got one? Best of luck on Saturday!

Jools - Belated happy birthday! Shame about the ankle, hopefully you can get a good run of training in now.

Having a pretty good week. Session of 3 x 2k/1k on Tuesday went well. Plan was to progress from just outside 10k/5k pace. Came out as 6.03/5.48, 5.59/5.48, 5.58/5.44 slightly outside where I was aiming but felt in control and could have done another set if needed. That showed as last nights 8m recovery came out at 8.00/132BPM with my legs feeling fresh! Swim tonight then 5m at hard tempo tomorrow on the plan
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    17:52 at my 5k race in hot conditions. Another good run but I was secretly hoping for a bit better. Not bad considering the man flu of a couple of days ago.
    Tough sesh Stevie, very promising 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

great session, Stevie. That is certainly a tough one having done it myself a few weeks back.

Top bombing again, OO. I don't think I'll ever get to the sub 18 level. The thought of 5.45mm makes me feel a bit sick. I think I have more chance of a sub 2.55 mara.

Esay 4 at recovery yesterday and bodypump in evening. Just some circuits tonight then some running over the weekend.

Gul appears to have gone awol this week. Hopefully that doesn't mean he is on the bench?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This is a particularly fast race DT with a net downhill- lots of folks come for a PB and I got one last year. I agree though your strength is in the Mara with times and future potential beyond my abilities.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I think Gul is on holiday, I'm sure he said he was going away.

That's rapid OO, especially in the conditions! I still don't think I'd keep up with you in a short race!!

Managed 1k continuous swim last night which I was really happy with. Going to stick at that distance I think rather then go any further. 5m hard tempo later at around HMP then 15m easy/steady on Sunday. Will probably swim again tomorrow as well.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Shorter and more frequent swims is definitely the way to go if you have the time Stevie. 1k non stop is impressive. Have you tried a pull buoy?
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    OO I am going to get one to improve my arm pull, conscious that it could cause back issues though as my core still dips slightly. Need to keep working on it!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Just try it- don't think you'll have back issues, but you'll go faster for sure.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    5m tempo came out at 6.08 average, a 6.12 first mile then 6.07 for the rest. I think my HR monitor is slightly under reading. Average was 161 for the first then 166-169 for the last 4. Would normally expect 172-175. Either that or I'm fitter then I think
  • Flipping heck OO, sub 18 is proper bombing it.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Speedy. I went back to Whitley Bay parkrun today- you may remember we met there once! It was a good morning with a gentle breeze and my pal the man mountain (6ft 5 and 16 stone) pacer me for a sub 18 attempt. We sneaked it with a 17:57, just awaiting the official results. That’s 3 sub 18s in 8 days so very happy with that.
    How’s the ultra training going Speedy? Are you on Strava so I can stalk you 😏

Poacher, where will you be standing for the Coastal next week?
  • Sub 18 at Whitley Bay is even more impressive. I remember that one being very windy. Maybe not as windy as the Town Moor, but not an easy course. I hope your man mountain was the windbreak! 

I'm enjoying the longer miles (mostly - had to wait in for a delivery this morning so not looking forward to going out tonight for two hours so much. Can't miss the tennis you see...). I am indeed on Strava. And Insta. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The course has changed Speedy so slightly better-you’ll have to come back!
    will try to find you on Strava 👍
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well last week I learned a good lesson on injury management. A week ago I couldn’t run a single step, yesterday I completed 62 miles (100k) at Race To The Stones. Over the moon!

Over a week of intensive icing and foam rolling culminated in a test run to the end of the road on Friday night and I decided to go for it.

The event was fantastic, superb volunteers and a wonderful course. Weather was warm, very warm. Had to make sure I got as much food and fluid in as possible, which was no mean feat often 45 miles when the body just couldn’t take any solids.

Thought processing was also interesting. After 26 miles you find yourself saying, yes, only another marathon and a 10 miler to go. When there was “only” a marathon to go it was such a boost to countdown the miles.

My body hurt a lot. I had a heavier backpack as I borrowed som walking poles just in case the injury flared up. Didn’t need them in the end. Shoulders hurt today.

My legs screamed all day, pretty much. Pain areas changed and at a couple of points in the 50 miles zone there were some serious twangs that had me worried. My knees nearly popped during two very steep descents, had to walk down to not get injured.

The final 15 miles were very tough, the warm weather continued and I started to feel very sick. Tried to be sick with a mile to go but nothing came up. By this point I was past caring and just couldn’t wait to finish. 

My my friends and I grouped together for the big finish photo and we crossed the line in 13 hours 23 mins.

An amazing day and so pleased to have overcome the past 2 weeks as well as test myself over 62 miles.
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Great run G-Dawg. I see on facebook the purple fairy (formerly of this parish) had a good run there too.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    0054 3 sub 18s in 8 days must be some sort of record you are in top form congratulations ! Most would be happy with one and it may be a while before I ever get anywhere near it if at all ,sub 20 is the limit of my ambition for the foreseeable future !
    Gdawg welldone and can only imagine how tough that was given you were not well either 
    Stevie cracking tempo pace 

Ground out an 11.5m yesterday (9:55 pace) and a 5 miler on a very pleasant warm day today giving me 22 mile  for the week .
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun, OO.

A seriously impressive ultra, G-D.

Nothing to see here: just 6 miles run/walk (hoping to be back to 6 mile runs fairly soon and then build from there!)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good to see you back out running Jools - hopefully over the ankle injury sooner than you know it.

Nice mile building Leslie.

Well done on starting and finishing Race to The Stones G-D.  Excellent recovery from the injuries that threatened to derail you.  Glad you enjoyed the day (you haven't managed to the sell the ultra to me yet!) and hopefully no post-race injuries?

Hoe your ultra training is going well Speedy.  When is your race and what does the training schedule comprise of at the moment?

Excellent work on the Sub 18 5K's OO - three so close is just plain greedy!

Good tempo session Stevie - it's unusual for the Garmin to record a lower than actual HR, so you must just be fitter.  Still no Autumn marathon booked but Abingdon (waiting list), Yorkshire (they seem to have a GFA option) or New York are all possible.  Otherwise, it may just have to be Valencia in December.

A good time on the 10K DT given the course and the conditions.

A good week for me with a 10K tempo on Tuesday in 39:21 and a progressive 18K on Friday ending with the final 2K at 4:00 m/km pace for a HR of 165 which equates to marathon pace effort.

Today was an 18 mile long run, setting off at 6:30pm.   Temperatures had cooled but the evening sun was welcome. A bit of a struggle mentally but surprised myself by coming in 30 secs quicker than last week, so 7:42 pace for the day

Gradually building the miles, so 71 mile for the week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    We’ll done GDawg a very impressive comeback from injury.
    Some epic efforts all round this weekend as above and on Strava.
    I did14 yesterday before settling in for a tv sports fest. What a fab day.

I have a 3k track race tonight at the masters. Then a big race at the weekend.
  • Super stuff at RTTS G-Dawg - are you now a convert to the longer stuff? 

You're flying at the moment OO - is this one of the benefits of being retired?! 

My speed hasn't returned yet (assuming it was there in the first place) and I only manged a 20:4x at parkrun on Saturday - a pleasant course through Banstead Woods which isn't really conducive to a super fast time but it was still about a minute outside my course PB.

Took part in the Etape 100 mile bike ride yesterday - some cheeky hills in there so had the perfect excuse to sit in front of the TV when I got back and spent a couple of hours flicking between an incredible tennis match and an even more incredible game of cricket.

Having a rest day today before attempting another tube line run tomorrow evening. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You certainly deserve a rest day Lorenzo!