Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg that's brilliant! I hope you got your feet up with a few beers yesterday!

Top bombing OO good luck in the 3k tonight. 

Great mileage SBD.  I am beginning to think you might be right about the fitness, watch told me the battery needs replacing in the HR strap yesterday though.

Definitely deserve a rest day Lorenzo! Which tube line are you doing tomorrow?

How did the 40 miler go Speedy?

Had a great long run yesterday. Legs were feeling good so let the pace come down from 8.xx to around 7.30s by the end, really felt like I was cruising. 15miles at 7.38 in the end. Really nice confidence boost for the Berlin campaign
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Going well, Stevie. Sometimes it's nice to just let go like that on a long run. Good session too. I've noticed a small drop in my hr v pace in the last week or so as well, so hopefully responding to getting some consistent work in again.

OO, pretty incredible going with that hatrick.

Nice work on the 11.5, Leslie.

G-dawg, incredible stuff. I really don't think I have the desire in me for that stuff.

SBD- Decent tempo there and mileage.

Easy effort running for me since Wednesdays race. 10K Saturday morning then a slow 14 yesterday pb. I went out Saturday night so yesterdays run was very much a labour of love. Decent week planned this week before a I taper back for Magor 10k.

• Stevie - my hope / plan is to do the Northern Line over two evenings this week. I work quite close to Camden Town so logistically the various branches and loops should be fairly easy to manage - whether my legs can cope with close to 40 miles spread across 2 days is another question. Sounds as though you must have been in the low 7s by the end of your long run - always great when you're feeling in the kind of shape where you can easily pick up the pace.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Amazing if you can do it Lorenzo. If not at least you are never far from a tube station 😂
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    A return turn to the track last night with the North East masters league. The target was sub 10 minutes for the 3000M- I just missed this by a whisker last year. 
    Conditions were pretty perfect and I ran 9:57.4, a PB by 2.5 secs. They packed in 21 runners in our race and it was a busy track but I finished 5th behind 3 V35s and a V40, so a comfortable age category win, and a WAVA over 88% I estimate. I thought a PB might be tonight on so very please with that.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Bloody hell, OO! That's rapid. Well done, Sir! Cracking WAVA score, best I've ever seen reported.

Hope the Northern Line is good, Lorenzo. Take care as some of those stations are in bandit country.

Great long run there, Stevie. So nice to start a campaign with a big positive. Berlin will be great. A mate of mine is there now with his wife and visiting beer venues we went to after the marathon in 2016.

I've delayed the NYC campaign by a week as I need to recover from the RTTS weekend exploits. My legs are still in DOMS mode but the pain is easing off enough for me to hit the foam roller tonight. Not worried about shaving a week off the next campaign as I think my endurance is OK, as shown on Saturday.

I've been trying to process what went on in my head on Saturday with regards to mental fortitude and the strength to just keep moving forward. We all do it, we play mental games to give ourselves little milestones during long, hard efforts. It's just that on Saturday the numbers were bigger.

With the injury management in the 2 weeks before and then the event itself, I've learned so much from the experience, especially being patient.

Can't wait to smash out a sub-7 tempo, though!!  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oo, that's is some incredible stuff, particularly after the 3 sub 18, 5ks recently.

I went out over lunch for a session with next Saturdays 10k in mind of 8 x 1k off 90s. Plan was to run first 2 at 10k pace/effort and remaining 6 at 5k. I was pleased to go out at lunchtime and see that the earlier cloud cover had vanished, presenting glorious sunshine.

Things started off as planned with a 3.58 and a 3.46 (my first 2 reps always seem to be quite slow when I do a session) then 3.44 and 3.43. By this point the heat had caught up with me and I was desperate for a  drink. I resolved to just get the last 4 done going hard regardless of pace. These came out 3.51, 3.48, 3.54 and 3.47, so realistically more 10k pace than 5k pace.

Annoyingly just as I began my cool down the cloud came back in. Still warm in any event, just not as energy sapping.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Pretty hot conditions out there today DT so a good set of 1K reps.

A bit more rest might be sensible before you try the tempo G-D.

Well done on the 3K PB and age category win OO - mightily impressive speed!

It almost sounds fun Lorenzo!  Is it not crowded running on the pavements?

Good progressive long run Stevie.  What's the longest you'll do before Berlin?

Tempo session tonight, 10K at threshold pace with 3K w/u and 3K w/d.  Have been doing these sessions on the treadmill, mainly so I can control the effort levels and ensure I run at an appropriate HR, but it can result in a bit of a sweat fest!  Slightly progressive, so 4K@3:58, 4K@3:56, 1K @3:53, 1K@3:50, giving 39:19 for the 10K.  Felt like hard work but will try and run this session on a weekly basis, hopefully getting faster, during the marathon campaign,

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Sorry to see some are injured.  But others, esp. OO, sounding very fast.  Summer miles = autumn smiles.  And what a summer of sport for fans.

OO if the southerly headwind stays away I think you can cane it at the Coastal. Just a question of how many minutes under 1.30.   We have the annual visitors from Luxembourg, poor fella doesn't know he's running on his own this year. I will drop him off at the start, then will be outside the house which is where the road suddenly slopes down to the beach at the top of Low Newton. After that will probably cycle round and may appear at Craster, Howick, Boulmer, then certainly at the finish. Good luck.

Injury update: walking quite well but the underlying injury is bad. Going to see a local doc who is a hard core runner/cyclist, maybe he will have stg to suggest.  Cycling 100 miles + per week though which is a blessing.

Unless a miracle cure appears, or time does its job, might have to retire on 91 marathons. Doh!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Let’s hope not Poacher- I’m sure you are the last to ever give up on a thing. Hope to see you Sunday- I think I the awards are on the golf clubhouse if you fancy a pint 👍
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey, OO. Retirement has done wonders for your running!  Congratulations on an awesome PB.

Now up to 4 mins run, 1 min walk.  Ankle feeling pretty ok.
  • OO - you're just getting faster and faster. Is there anything other than not having to work that you put this down to? 

SBD - definitely Type 2 fun (not so enjoyable at the time, but enjoyable looking back on it). Some stretches going through the West End and the City were rather congested but I was trying to go at a sensible pace anyway so wasn't too fussed.

Anyway, mission accomplished with a 21 mile run down one part of the Northern line from Edgware to Morden via Charing Cross (I resisted the temptation to pop in for a swift one at Chandos as I passed it) yesterday, followed by 18 this evening along the other part from High Barnet to Kennington via Bank. Yesterday was a lot harder work than today and I was certainly in plod territory by the time I got to Tooting.

Anyway, all 50 stations on the line ticked off and I feel I may deserve a rest tomorrow.😀

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I was running similar pace last summer Lorenzo but a couple of things I would point to are;
    I eat better and have lost about 2-3 kilos over the last year.
    Im doing a lot of other stuff especially swimming and some Pilates.
    These spikes of good form never last long and I’m not expecting this one to either- just enjoy it while it lasts.

Glad your running Jools didn’t appreciate how far It has put you back.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to try 6 miles continuous running tomorrow as 6 min run/1 min walk was fine today, OO.  I'm just scared of pushing the ankle too far when it's clearly still weak after the 3 sprains in 9 days...  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hope that goes/went well Joolska.
    Lorenzo - with all these mad miles have you got some mega challenge lined up for the autumn?

OO - course report: very windy up here, strong swirling southerly, but that should change for Sunday.  

Also - roadworks outside the church at Low Newton so need to keep right before the first water station.

Just passed 400m bike for the month so averaging about 19m/day, lovely way to spend the summer.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Good luck Jools I’m sure that would give you a lot of confidence.
    Thanks Poacher as long as the pubs aren’t affected😂 Anyway must be better than last year!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hi folks - still lurking, but hardly running - had a lingering lurgy, on top of more "life" stuff, so 47 miles in the last 4 weeks and 5 days - I'll see what I can do tomorrow/Sun. hey-ho . . . .    

OO's wonderful form noted, though, plus silly antics from Lorenzo, G-Dawg . . .    

Poacher - real shame if you have to stick 9 short  . . .   
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SBD - I’ll probaly go to 22m before Berlin, maybe 23, I’ll leave it up to my coach! Great tempo, I think they are the key to marathon training. Will you leave it at 10k or extend it?

Jools - Sounds like you are taking the return sensibly, I hope the 6m run goes well!

OO - Rapid as always! Good luck on Sunday

Poacher - Glad to hear you are enjoying the cycling, hopefully you are not stuck on 91! Anymore cycling events planned?

Had another good week, really starting to fill with confidence. 4 x mile on the track on Tuesday off 2.5 mins recovery. All reps came out at 5.37, working really hard towards the end but still in control. Then a 6m tempo yesterday split into 5m MP/ 1m hard tempo. Really chuffed to see MP come out at 6.19 for slightly less HR then I was aiming for, final mile came in at 6.04.

Treated myself to a Fenix 5S as an early birthday present, looking forward to looking at all the new stats! On the way to London for the Anniversary games, will run the 12m home from the station tomorrow to finish the week off. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    SBD, 39.19 10k tempo is slick stuff. 

Poacher, great you can maintain things on the bike. At the time an injury feels like forever, but it rarely is. Fingers crossed you come back. 

Keen to hear from Badbark on that front? Does anyone follow him on strava or other social media?

Jools, you seem to have been unlucky with those sprains. Sounds like you're building sensibly. 

Stevie, that's a great session. You are definitely in full flow right now. 

Lorenzo, is that the end of your tube exploits or are you hoing for a full set? 

Ive had a solid few days. Thursday was my non mara training mlr so just 8m hilly. Friday was the return of some tempo work. This was the mainstay of my mara campaign and i must confess to be missing the intensity of it. Anyway 7 m at tempo, i thought I'd aim for mid  6.30s. Came out 6.35 for 161bpm which is 4 less than London average, though of course i ran a lot further. That sort of pace is really where i need mp to be next year so it's good it's  coming in, in my first tempo in months and much less than mp bpm. Id probably need to get to 10m at that pace and bpm for it to be mp. 

Just spin this morrning and easy 12m tomorrow. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Poacher hope fully the local doc can work some magic and 400m a month on the bike is quite some going 
    Stevie mara pace 6:19 you are rocking !!!
    Birch hope you feel better soon lad
    Jools 3 sprains in 9 days sounds like you need to be very careful .
    Dt sounds like you are aiming high for next year fair play .
    Badbark are you there ?  we know you are so come on lad, how you keepin' 

Danny Mcdaid 15k today , 1hr 16 mins so 8:09 pace with the last 3 sub 8 as its very hilly the first half then flattens out and a bit of drizzle to keep me cool .Happy enough to get another race in and 28 mile for the week.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Today’s coastal race was bright and sunny but with a steady headwind for most of the route. My Garmin shows 13.2 miles, which includes paths, grass, the odd boulder jump and three long stretches of beach. It’s one of my favourites races and very scenic but I have to admit as I get older the rough stuff is increasingly not my strong suit. Today’s time was 1:32:48, exactly 7 minute mile pace, with a fastest of 6:30 and a slowest of 7:50.
    Good enough for 2nd V55 but a fair bit slower than I hoped. I guess we all need a reality check now and then. The highlight of course was a high-5 and cheer from Poacher en route. What a great spot to live you lucky devil 😋

50 miles for the last week, and no races planned this week coming week.
  • Grim Reaper Ultra. 40 miles, but actually 40.5 miles. 1st lady. 3rd overall. 5.55.23 on a multi-terrain (and not very nice) course. Loose rocks, uneven long grass with large hidden holes... Full report going on Insta. Not totally broken but really need my bed now! No blisters, no injuries, just knackered.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Encouraging tempo session DT.

Good sessions Stevie - the MP pace is looking good.  For me, tempo sessions are lactate threshold training, so I may go to 11K but no higher.  I'll do separate MP sessions but usually as a HM race.

Hang on in there Birch and keep running when you can.

Well done on completing the Northern Line challenge Lorenzo.   What's the next challenge?

I'm sure recovery is just round the corner Poacher - no stopping on 91!

We need an Autumn marathon list - any volunteers?

First 20 miler of the campaign today.  It's strange how 20 can be a mental barrier - only 2 more miles than 18 but mentally a big jump.  Had planned a nice easy one, just to get the miles in, but the legs got carried away over the last 5.5 miles which were covered at 7:06 m/m pace.  Average pace of 7:30 for the run and 75 miles for the week, so all ticking along nicely.

• OO - not too shabby. Sounds as though it was a tough course and you can't be too disappointed with a silver medal to go with the silver hair  ;)

Good to see you back racing Leslie.

Poacher - no mega challenges planned for the autumn. Just the Abingdon marathon on the schedule at the moment although I am trying to align our 25th wedding anniversary celebration with an overseas marathon - hasn't got a thumbs down (yet) from Mrs L so I'm hopeful!

DT - the remaining tube lines (with the exception of the two stop Waterloo & City Line) are all rather long although the Docklands Light Railway could be interesting with a but of planning.

Still had tired legs on Saturday but we had a family parkrun trip out - a PW for the course, but pleasant nevertheless. Easy 7 miles this morning with elder Lorenzito who's down for a bit - he's only recently got into running but has now signed up for the Manchester Half this afternoon!  :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive Speedy- in fact you put me to shame over the longer stuff. Stick with it you are obviously very good at it.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Action shot from yesterday’s Coastal
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cracking tempo DT, you're not doing a autumn mara are you? Did you decide on a target half?

Speedy - That is insane! Huge well done!

OO - Great running and pic

Great 20 miler SBD, my tempos are run a bit slower then LT so can extend them out to 10m.

Really enjoyed the athletics, a great event. My non running other half also loved it and has said we will go for both days next year! Finished the week off with 12m back from the station, 7.46 pace for 138HR showing last weeks wasn't a one off. A bit dehydrated and hot by the end though! Easy week this week with the 5000m track challenge on Saturday
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Autumn 2019 Race List:

Stevie - 
    29/09 Berlin Marathon - Target Sub 2.45
    Lorenzo - 20/10 Abingdon Marathon
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    That's all I know/can remember!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's good going, Speedy. Well done on the position, decent prize?

Some more great racing, oo!

SBD, nice work on the 20. Did you settle on a particular Autumn mara?

Stevie, nice 12. I'm not sure i'd have fancied that after a full day out. I didn't see any of the athletics. When I did get some down time I found myself watching the netball, which was all new to me and quite enjoyable.

It is looking likely I will enter the Burnham on Sea half on 6th Oct. It's an 11am start and a pretty straightforward drive straight down the m5 and it has less elevation over 13 miles than when I do 10m around the racecourse here.

I have the new Silverstone half pencilled in as a back up in November.

Easy 12 for me yesterday as well which came out 8.09 for 142bpm which is relatively low for me this time of year. Easier week this week with Magor 10k Saturday. Looks like weather is going to play ball, though that can change in 5 days!