My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha, I keep forgetting about your cat's unfortunate name, Will. :D
    I did Bromley parkrun today - a large one (609 runners today, which I'm told was a quiet day for it) on the edge of South London. A huge percentage of those were vets - I actually felt quite young for once!
    The course is about half and half path and grass, flattish (some mild gradients). I was expecting around 26 minutes given my recent physical woes but I did 25:30 which isn't bad, considering, even though each mile got progressively slower. I was third in my age cat but there were 35 of us so I'm OK with that.
    I reckon I'll be fine for my race on Wednesday but whether I go for the 5 or 10K option depends on how I feel. I usually go with 10K but may take the shorter option if it's very warm.
    No run tomorrow - I'm getting up at arse o' clock to volunteer at Thorpe Park tri. The run part is in the theme park which is rather fun.
  • Great running everyone! 

Two runs, 5 mile and 6.2 mile suburban loops. Nothing really to report. Hip sore. Taking a day off today. Going to attempt a long one tomorrow, then rest it a few days next week.

Glad foot is on the mend Cal, sorry about Achilles. Great Parkrun! I must try a different one one day, I've only done Pegwell. I'm going to try and do a Cornish one on holiday! And drop in for a session at the local running club if they'll let me. 

Signed up for a local, undulating 10k for next weekend.  Slightly annoying in Kent, more 10ks than you can shake a stick at, but very, very few 10 milers and halfs (halves?) Supply and demand I guess. 

Great early morning run Will! Definitely the best time of day for running to me. Nice nurse spot!

Speedy as ever JT! Great running. The heat has been knocking me about too. It does seem tough out there. Cracking summer though!

Great running Hazelnut. Good hill training! One of my bottles in my belt leaks at the cap, agreed, very annoying. 

Good run enrvuk. Plenty of weed being puffed from sheepish teenagers here too, late at night, normally around the town moat. I always say hi and they grunt back.

Behemoth of a run JD. I think you deserve to eat whatever you want after that! Good skills. 

Have a good weekend.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    envruk,I'm sure you are getting fitter,the heat can distort things somewhat and just sap you.

Great name for a cat Will,would love to hear you call her in for her dinner .No chance of the Welsh hills getting smaller!

Great session with the hill repeat Hazelnut.

Nice parkrun Cal,tasty time as well.Your injuries seem to be getting better.Enjoy your day volunteering at the Thorpe park tri.

Very sensible Linton taking a few days off to rest your hip.Start looking outside Kent for races.How far from London are you?

5 miles yesterday evening.Errdig parkrun today,warming up I could feel my legs were heavy so wasn't expecting much.Came in at 21:45 nearly a minute outside pb but happy with the run considering.I was overtaken by a very young boy on this pig of a hill near the end - well done young whippersnapper!
    Tomorrow's run should give me another 50 for the week.

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Can you get a decent alcohol free beer JT? If you like it that is?  Full of electolytes :) Can send you our tom if you like, no chance of belly tickling there - but yes it is very furry..

There was a film about a man going up a hill and coming down a mountain Will. Pretty sure it was a Welsh hill.  Nice to hear of Titsy again.

Nice parkrun Cal. Good you have the option for your race on Wednesday.

Hope the hip is ok for tomorrow's run LTT. Nice pic by the way, think that is new?

Swift park running and good mileage JD.

Two runs: a lateish 5 mile recovery with OH yesterday evening, nice to have the company.

This afternoon just over the HM distance with a few bits of MP or a bit faster sprinkled in here and there. Spottings: a field hare, a red deer and lots of half grown storks sitting on roofs, they have had a good year again.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Everyone pretty busy, good to see.

Hazel you’re turning into a machine. Super miles.

Cal, very, very nice Parkrun especially considering your recent woes.

JT impressive running, not so impressive cat related decision making.

JD  not a bad Parkrun, you can’t get a PB every week. I don’t have to worry about young whipper snappers overtaking me. I’m never in front of them.

Linton I hope your hip was okay. It’s also a problem for me when the mileage increases.

I ran the Great Dunmow Parkrun with my brother in law. Not bad after we were all out watching Human League and ABC at Audley End the night before #old. I decided to treat it as the scheduled slow training so aimed for around 29m. It was a nice course, one big loop, one small and very narrow in places. This might be frustrating if you’re after a fast time. I managed 28:24 which was fine by me.

This morning I went out in the rain for my recovery week long run. Stopped a little early (8.8k) as I was drenched and I have a World Cup Final to attend this morning! Happy Sunday all
  • Excellent news on the Story front, Hazelnut and nice to see a hare too. Fab long run as well. Seems like you're going well at the mo.

Good effort after some quality gigging, envruk. #oldlikeme.

Mileage + speed, JD1. You're smashing it.

Nice steady mileage, LintonTT and excellent placing, Cal. Hope you're still being good to your foot.

It was an early Saturday longie for me, back on the Marriott's Way trail. I'm always awake early so this is a good way to fit in the miles around the family. I was out by 6am and put in a solid 12 miles in 2hrs 1min. I am trying to push my various paces up a bit and am looking to take LSR to 10:00 mi/mi from 10:15. I finished the run on 10:04 overall, so am getting there. Lots of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs back singing, signalling 2nd broods and a lovely smell from the ripening wheat and barley. Friendly morning runners and doggers and even the cyclists tailed their bells for me. Legs felt solid and like they're getting back to strength. A 'Free Tommy' graffito was sprayed on the pavement at one stage. I made sure to spit on it on the way back.

I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    7.2miles last night after a lethargic day. The races had been on so people knocking about in various states of wellness. A few spots of rain when I set out which grew to a deluge cascading off the roofs and flooding the roads. Sort of fun once you've reached the point you just can't get anymore wet.
  • Had a decent one today. My second furthest, went out for a 5 mile each way, out and back, but felt OK so added on an extra mile each way. 12 miles!!

Kept to as near as damn it 2hr/10 min mile pace. Felt good! Hip seems alright (hoping it was a trail running strain rather than overuse type thing). A nice, cool, overcast morning. I left the bottle belt at home and took enough cash for a Lucozade from an Esso at mile 5. I did feel much less restricted. My belt drives me loopy slipping, do they all do that!?

Went the out of town, dual carriageway route and was treated to a huge pharmaceutical factory, a refuse site, sewage works and huge skip hire yard.Just stunning. A huge cycle race was on, seemed a friendly bunch. Some #lads were on their way home brandishing a litre of vodka. No animal spots except roadkill. I hate that route.

Nice Parkrun JD, good time. There is some speedy kids at my one too,  I would still rather be passed by them than guys 20 years my senior at races, which has happened!

Your run sounds very similar to mine Will, although mine probably felt a better achievement!  Unpleasant graffiti spot, in thanet at they love Farage, maybe even worse.

Good run JT, getting soaked is refreshing if various chaffing can be avoided!

Great distance and nature spots Hazelnut, sounds a cracking run.

28.5 miles this week, my most to date.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

enrvuk,you lucky thing watching the final.England have just won it with the super over.Stokes was incredible.My heart rate is in zone 4!Bet your head will be sore in the morning.

Nice solid long run Will.Bit early for doggers though!

Another good run Hazelnut and spotting a red deer as well.

Great long run Linton,I carry my drink and have a bum belt for gels,it hasn't been too bad carrying my drink on my long runs,soon get used to it.Love your description of your route.Good news about your hip.

Nice and refreshing getting soaked when it's warm JT,

8 miles this afternoon,4@MP.Plenty of swifts and swallows out,zipping about over the canal.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    What a lovely route, Linton. :D
    JD, I volunteered at Thorpe Park tri yesterday and it pissed down during the cycle (I was manning the mount line this year). There were a lot of tumbles out on the bike course and quite a few DNFs as a result.
    10 miles this morning which I did a bit quicker than I intended to but the legs wanted to go.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Not much of a sore head after the events at Lord's yesterday. One of those things I'll be able to say "I was there" in 25 years time (hopefully!). Stokes was amazing and the partnership with Butler was the game changer. We never gave up hope while they were in.

Nice miles JT, Linton and Will. Cal, you really are back in the groove and the foot and the achilles don't seem to be causing too much trouble.

Easy 6.7k this morning aka Foundation 5 in the 80/20 book. Much nicer than being drenched yesterday. 
    Some great running over the weekend and this morning!

3 miles recovery yesterday evening - very quiet out probably because the tennis was still on.  Had done a fairly tiring hike in the afternoon but felt a need to go out again so I did. 

Have a good week everyone.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    That must have been quite an emotionally exhausting day at Lords enrv. I kept having to step away from the TV and pace about a bit.
    Great long runs Linton and Cal.
    14miles today on country backroads in bit under 1hr50. Easy paced outbound although pretty weary for the first few miles. Sped up for the last few miles back. They're resurfacing an old bridleway which leads out to a village. They've been doing bits of this track to create a cycle link for about 6years. The first part they completed was a tarmaced stretch isolated betweeted a rutted dirt track and a blind exit onto the road on a busy S bend. That was no fun when when you're running.
    There's a new build going up on a rural road a mile from anything else. Completely glass on two sides from floor to roof. Never seen a building which such large single sheets of glass. Beautiful mezzanine first floor as well.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

When I'm watching a triathlon on tv I'm surprised how many bike crashes there are,usually on tight bends or wet surfaces.Nice 10 miles as well Cal.

Great long run JT and a fast pace as well.That new build might be on Grand Designs!

Working nights and I really had to force myself to go for a run this afternoon,very warm and muggy.8 miles 3 @ T/P.

• Good commitment there JD and nice 8 miles.

A little 5K reco run this end. The double loop again, which meant a few uphills and thus a few downhill. Very much like the Brecon Beacons in miniature,  in the latest County in the UK. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done JT. I bet they had to be very careful moving that glass.
    Commiserations on the night shift, JD.
    Will, saw a little bird yesterday. At first I thought it was a robin from the way it was moving (the common is lousy with them) but then saw it had a speckly chest. I got a bit excited and checked out the RSPB bird identifier and it appears it was a robin after all, but a juvenile. :D
    Gorgeous morning for a run - quite fresh, but sunny - so I had to exercise self restraint and stick to the planned 4 miles since I have a race tomorrow.
    Still, my restraint was rewarded in the form of a friendly cat who allowed me to pet him once I'd stopped to walk after I hit the 4 mile target.
    I've entered the Lee Valley 10 mile in a week and a half - I'd been looking at it (since I had to cancel the Harry Hawkes 10 due to achilles/foot woes) but thought it might be a bit soon. However, after yesterday's run I figured I'd be fine. I've also entered Kingston half in October which was also be a new race for me, though it's the same organisers as the Hampton Court half I do in February so I should think it covers much of the same course, albeit from a different start point.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A nice easy 4 miles this morning. Lovely out there. It will be considerably hotter when I do my race this evening. I got my 10K PB (rather unexpectedly, I might add) there last year but don't really expect to do that again considering my recent ailments. But you never know.
    Good long run JT.   Maybe run the route again soon to check on progress with that new building.

Well done for getting out there JD despite the night shift and the weather conditions

Nice robin spot Cal.  Good luck for this evening!

Group run yesterday evening - for once on a different route with plenty of shade as guided by one of our ladies.  I wasn't particularly keen on it as it involved going straight into a steep ascent (shuffle jog - walk) which I didn't appreciate without any sort of running warm up and later also a steep descent on a concrete path.   Also cycled to and from the meeting point.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great robin spot Cal and good luck for tonight.You have few races lined up again which is always good to have.I have a 10k end of August and just trying to fit in a flat fast 5k.

Don't think I would appreciate going straight into a steep ascent  without warning up properly Hazelnut.Bet there were a few grumbles.

8 miles yesterday afternoon.Gym class tonight .

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Good luck for the race Cal. You've made such a speedy recovery, great news. Are you doing the Lea Valley Olympic Park or the Lea Valley white water centre?

That new build sounds great JT, where is it roughly?

Nice runs everyone else.

Ran my first club run last night. Eventful! First of all, after 670km without a trip, I managed to get 0.1km into my group run and tripped and smashed my Apple Watch. Great. At least it's a story for the club newsletter. The run itself was nice, easy paced, 8.5k with a few water stops. We went up past the Parliament Hill running track and to the hill itself, where we stumbled upon a Silent Disco in full flow. We stopped and had a chat with the organisers. The route included scooting alongside Kenwood. I needed some hills and the views were beautiful. Shame about the trip.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's an expensive trip, enrvuk, but glad you enjoyed your first club outing. Good excuse to get yourself a nice Garmin, though.
    The race is in the white water centre I think - http://10festleevalley.co.uk/ 

Hazelnut, that run sounds like my idea of hell (particularly the steep descent - I don't do those. I'd have probably walked down it).

The race didn't go as planned. I'd intended to do the 10K, like last year, but the organisers changed things up. Last two years they sent the 5K off first and the 10K 10 minutes or so later, and the route was a bit different. This year they changed the route so it was similar to the parkrun route (with a couple of small changes and a different finish) and it was two laps for 5K or four for the 10K, which both set off together.
    For a PB I'd have to run around 8:18 min/mi and I did the first mile in 8:06, which felt fine, but then the humidity started to affect me and breathing got a lot more laboured. The second mile was 8:25, by which point I knew a) a 10K PB wasn't likely and b) I didn't feel like flogging myself around another two laps so I decided to bail at the 5K point.
    The new finishing straight was on gravel, and not the fine stuff but big, deep, lumpy stuff. It was like trying to run on Brighton beach. I couldn't have sprinted if I'd wanted to. Came in at 26:23 which is not great, but then I hadn't gone off at 5K pace. Got my medal and flapjack at least. Oh and I was 1st in my age cat, but there were only six, which made it a lot less competitive than Bromley parkrun, and in fact, most parkruns.
    Eh, well.
    Bad luck on the watch enrvuk.  Otherwise it seems you enjoyed your club run.

Gravel is an evil surface to run on Cal.  Well done on your 1st place AG.  Good call to dump the 10k - I wouldn't have liked the 4 loops - can imagine that it would be an issue with lapping people as well?

Nice to have a race to look forward to JD - can you just run a couple of hard parkruns as 5ks?

First bit of speedwork in a while for me yesterday evening. 5k warm up with some drills and strides, then 5 x 800 (GPS measured) off 2 min recoveries.  4 or so k to cool down.  Was a warm evening but I coped with that well (distracted by the speedwork as such) though I was glad I had taken water with me (belt hung over convenient signpost).  The reps were nothing special - more around 10k pace but I need to get back into the habit and I find it hard to run faster than 10k pace anyway - in particular in training.  Not an easy stretch to do the reps on anyway - stony field track with tight turns.  Excuses, excuses.. :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to run at race pace during training, Hazelnut - it always feels a lot easier during the actual race doesn't it?
    I did run a bit too fast today - I thought about doing my longest run of the week today as I have mile relays on Monday but then I set out around 10min/mi pace and couldn't seem to slow myself down so I opted for 7 miles today and will do the longer run on Sunday. It's still early days yet so I'm looking at 12/13 miles for that.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    The Apple Watch does so many things the Garmin can't outside of a running context, it also can make and receive calls without the phone. From what I've read, aside from battery life, there isn't anything specific a Garmin does an Apple Watch can't. Wouldn't mind a Garmin as well though, certainly more robust and makes you look more of a runner.

My Half Marathon was in the white water centre as well. It's a pleasant enough, fairly flat course. There is a bridge near the end which is a little elevated and the finish is MUCH further away than you realise. As you enter the area with the centre in it, the finish weaved away for some distance. On a cooler day it would have been a nice run.

Given the terrain and aiming for 10k pace, c26 doesn't sound too bad for your run. Adding 7miles on Thursday and 12/13 on Sunday is an amazing week given where you were 2 weeks ago!

Hazel, love the 10 reasons I didn't run quicker post :-) For me the intervals are the runs I enjoy the most, even if they're the hardest. Not claiming that I am quick btw.

Back on the road with a 6.79km 'fast finish' run last night. Impressed how I coped with it being 23c. I have a procedure on Saturday and volunteering at the Regent's Park 10k on Sunday, so wondering where my LR will fit in.
    enrvuk - I have had some not so good experiences with Garmin and battery life / robustness but maybe that was the specific model / watch and it was a few years ago.  I expect I will need to look for an alternative to my TomTom some time soon as they are no longer being manufactured as far as I can see.  How about doing your long run post 10k volunteering?  Watching the race (if you can) might give you some inspiration? 

Seems like a plan for your long run Cal. 

5 miles recovery yesterday evening - very muggy - was glad I could amble around.
    Took the morning off today and treated myself to a long hill run - 15k upwards with around 700m of ascent, most of that in the second half.  Wasn't about pace today (12:20 per mile on average) but practice on more technical trails (steep and rock/root infested).  Saw a hare and enjoyed hunting down hikers.   Nice cake and coffee before taking the short route down - a bit short of 2 miles and steep all the way so shuffled down to save the quads.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Unlucky with the watch envruk,nice first club run though.Are you volunteering with your club?You can always fit your LR after.

Couple of nice runs Hazlenut,especially the hill run.I want to sub 20 on a 5k but got no chance on a parkrun,so just looking out for a nice flat road race.

Nice race Cal,well done on your ag cat position.You seem to be logging the miles again after your injury .

8 miles yesterday with 6x1k @ 10kp.20 miles this morning,just over 3 hours which I was happy with.Weather was cool which made a massive difference from the last couple of weeks.After about 8 miles I noticed soap suds running down both of my legs,obviously my shorts had not rinsed properly and with the heavy rain it produced an impressive amount of foam.

• Busy times on here I see. Seems like the heat is stopping no-one. I like the sound of your trail training, Hazelnut. I'm hoping to get over to Wales for a weekend of route recce and rocky running in a few weeks.

I have been quite literally in the woods for the last 2 weeks, as chief of Woodland Camp, so it's been an exhausting time, what with a couple of campfire sleep-outs and general Bear Grills style mayhem. Have managed 3 runs since my last post. One of last week's I couldn't fit in, so am adding the extra 4 miles to this week, unless anything drastic happens.

Wednesday morning's 5am call ended in a bit of a stunted run. Half a mile in, the bowels began to wake up and, having got up so early, I stubbornly refused to bail on the run. So it was a 'Ministry of Silly Walks slow 3 miles and a bloody relief to get home!

I was too tired to do the planned run on Thursday, opting for bed at 8pm instead, after sod-all sleep in the woods. Last night, despite not feeling up for it, I forced myself out into the rain and then enjoyed a nice wind-down 6 miles, including a lap of the lake and a few hills/Norfolk bumps.

Back on it for a brisk 3 miles this morning and then planning to make it a daily double with 3 more tonight - playing a bit of catch up. Top spot was a Green Woodpecker in the cemetery this morning and a Poplar Hawk Moth in my trap.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice hare spotting, Hazelnut.
    Well done on your run, JD.
    I opted for Hoblingwell parkrun today, which isn't far from Bromley where I ran last week but is a lot smaller (Bromley gets 600-800 people - Hoblingwell usually gets less than 100). It was wet all night so I did wonder if it was a sensible option as it's mostly grass, but decided to go anyway. The heavens opened as I got off the train but I had with me my trusty theme park rain poncho so I avoided getting too soaked.
    Fortunately it stopped by the time I reached the venue, but the grass was definitely soggy.
    I was greeted by the RD and spent some time chatting to various runners. It's probablyt the friendliest parkrun I've visted.There were only 66 there today, which is a bit of a shame as it was celebrating its 2nd birthday (I guess the rain put a few people off) but good for me as it was my best shot at a high finisher position, despite my current lack of race fitness.
    I started OK - my Zoom Flys didn't slide around too much on the wet grass - but after the first mile or so I started to struggle due to the humidity. I saw a woman in front of me (she was from Bushy - I'd talked to her beforehand) but couldn't manage to stay with her, so I just went at my own pace.
    I ended up finishing in 27:16 which isn't awesome but then I found I'd finished 15th overall and 2nd lady - my highest ever position, so I'm dead chuffed with that.
    Stayed and chatted with a few people, ate some celebratory fruit (cake is verboten, unfortunately, due to my gluten issues) and then headed home.
    Heard an announcement for Inspector Sands as I passed through Victoria Station, where I changed trains. So apparently that is a real thing. (If you weren't aware, Inspector Sands is a code phrase for there's a fire somewhere - obviously so as not to spook passengers).
  • Hi everyone. Loads of great running everyone, well done!

Well after the heady heights of hitting nearly 30 miles last week, this week life and work has been relentlessly busy, and I've managed a sum total of ....6 miles. 6!!

It was my birthday too, and my better half and parents got me a new pair of Sauconys, Aftershokz bone connection headphones, a medal hanger for the man cave, and a book on ultra running (whoa!!! Slow down!) Was lovely, but diet firmly out the window.

I'm nervous about the race tomorrow. Only 10k but I think it's going to be hilly, hot and fairly windy one way. I'm going to try and get there early and have decent warm up. I haven't run since Tuesday!

That sounds a great Parks in Cal. Nice placing! So glad your injuries are improving.  Like you say, that was some rain last night! It kent it woke me up, torrential.

That sounds cool Will,  I love camping and the outdoors, running is hard when tired agreed.  I found a huge chrysalis when clearing leaves. I put it in a take-away tub with holes pierced. Wonder what it could be? Should I put it back?

Great running JD1. I would love a sub 20 min 5k too. 20:53 my best and can't see me breaking that soon.

Great long running Hazlenut! I want to do a hilly trail half marathon on 11 august and next week off work, so will try a bit of that next week hopefully.

Great run enrvuk.  I hope I cope with the warm day tomorrow, I find it hard.

Have a nice sunday.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Linton! All this talk of sub-20 parkruns and I'm ecstatic when I get under 25 (it's only happened three times!) Hah.

A longer run today which I didn't really enjoy that much despite it being perfectly pleasant out. There wasn't really anything horrible about it - ran on three different commons - but it seemed to drag. Got to 12 miles (my intended target) but was a bit far from home so carried on for another mile then decided to add the .1 to make it a half.