The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• A run this morning round the park, saw 2 Comodo dragons basking in the sun, turtles and parrots. Nothing like a change of scenery to reinvigorate ones running.

6.19 miles

YTD 1071.7 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles done this morning (as I was volunteering at Thorpe Park tri yesterday). YTD: 899
  • Evening all,

Sorry it has been a while, work is manic at the minute - in at stupid o'clock and still on the laptop in the evening. Joy.

MrM2, Sorry to read that you are still having problems, I pretty much had the same thing, it started with my foot and ended up in my bottom, but touch wood, all seems okay now. I was also reading about the 70+ runner who did a 43.13 10K, there is time for me yet! Hopefully you will be back out shortly enjoying the sea air.

Stephen, Nice to here from you again, it seems that your consistency is returning, and the 10K times are still very respectable.

Dubai, Congratulations on the 1000 mile mark, hope you are having fun on Holiday, I have looked at Comrades before, but don't think I am fit enough, plus I would be in the dog house for a year if I booked anything that far away :D 

Cal, Seems like you have been in the wars to, my nephew currently has shingles, he is only 8 and it looks very nasty. Glad to read you are back on the road again, lets hope the foot behaves itself.

JD1, Well done on the 800 mile mark, some great long runs.

Harmander, I saw you were doing the Hare & Tortoise marathon, they are always at weekends and a little far away, however they do look like a good event.

I haven't been sitting around, and have managed to get out for a few nice runs, I was thinking about a last minute marathon a couple of weeks back, but had a meeting and could not get out of it, plus I am away at the end of July for a week and just don't have the time.

However it didn't stop me from doing the Wendover woods 50K on Friday night at 11.00pm, I was very nervous about this one due to the 2000m of climb and my first run through the night.
    I arrived around 9.45 and registered and had my kit checked, there was a number of mandatory items such as a survival blanket, 2 head torches, a 10,000mm taped seamed water proof jacket to name a few, once this was done, a nervous 1 hour wait watching the complete idiots who started at 08.00 to do the 100 miles with 20,000m of climb, yes you did read that correctly.
    We set off on the dot, it was 3 loops of 10 miles, plus a mini loop to make up the distance, the first half a loop was hard with an aid station around 6 miles, however the second half was mental, there were 4 hills the longest was 700m and so steep, the others were steeper but shorter, however I really, really enjoy it. I took it fairly easy and just enjoyed it, the first two laps were in the dark but it was getting light for the final lap and the views were amazing. I finished in 8 hours 26 minutes and was 119th out of 150, so not last.
    A lot of the 100 milers were still running when I left, total respect to them.

23.06.19 - 5.25
    24.06.19 - 8
    27.06.19 - 12.5
    28.06.19 - 4
    04.07.19 - 13.1 (Cheeky little half with a running buddy - 1.59)
    08.07.19 - 8.8
    12.07.19 - 31.1

YTD = 632.92

Legs feel good, so will be back out tomorrow.
  • Good to have you back David, not fit enough for Comrades and then describe a 50k run, and comrades is 11 months away!! Not tempted? I'm very tempted by it but I'm not running long enough distances at the minute.
    The cooler weather has been nice, only 30 degrees for this mornings run, so cooler than Dubai, public holiday today so hundreds running in the park. Lots of different clubs, the Bangkok barefoot runners were out as were the bangkok drunk runners and for Harmander, the Bangkok sikh running club.
    Off to Hua Hin today, about 3 hrs down the coast for the next 5 days.

16.7 6.11

YTD 1077.81 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, David, that is young to be getting shingles - I assume he's had chickenpox already? Fortunately I've only had relatively small patches of it and have recovered after a week but I've had it four or five times now.
    Well done on your race - I've read about it and it sounds pretty tough.
    You sound like you're enjoying yourself, Dubai.

A restrained 4 miles for me (restrained because it is lovely out and I'd have enjoyed staying out there, but I am a little tired from yesterday and have a race tomorrow evening). However, it does take me over the 900 mark.

YTD: 903
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement!
    Cal...great to see that you are both running and racing! Well done on passing 900'!
    Hobie...heroics with the dog! Good job!
    Dubai...Sounds like Thailand is going down well. Really enjoyed the times we spent there, a few years ago...including a trip to Hua Hin; more specifically to Dolphin Bay where a friend was overseeing the construction of  the 'Juniper Tree' retreat. Sadly, he died last week, here in Bournemouth, aged 85.
    Donnie 2 ...Great parkrun times; what will it take to improve on the 22:18?
    JD1...Getting close to 900'...How is Polly coming along?
    David C...don't hear from you for a while, then you just drop in to mention an overnight 50k!!Great! Sounds really tough. Thanks for kind words.

Me? Glad to say that my physio did get back to me after all. Felt bad when he told me that his wife had gone back to the hospital with cancer related issues...and he's got a young son to take care of...And there's me worried about a muscle strain! 
    Had an hour with him today! (It's the only way I'm losing pounds at the moment!!) He was encouraged to see improved flexibility and range of movements, mainly as a result of some specific stretches that he'd given me. He noticed that I had a slight inclination to  lean to one side, investigated and then worked on my Quadratus Lumborum! Never heard of it before, but it's obviously very important! He never fails to find something that can only be improved through pain! He reckons I'm at the turning point, and should be able to start some mini-intervals by the end of this week. (Think 20m...I mean MINI.) Five weeks since my last run...seems like months!  Happy running everyone.
  • Evening all,

Dubai, The Comrades marathon is one for a few years down the line, although only 87k ish, the temperatures can still be pretty warm, and us brits aren't much use in anything over 10 Degree's :D 
    On the plus side to enter you must have completed a standard marathon between 25th August & 2nd May 2020 in around 4.45 (should be able to do that), but the wife wouldn't be happy and it would be back to the dog house with Harmander.

Cal, Yes he had chickenpox when he was 3, my son is 4 days older and he had it at the same time. Congratulation on the 900 mile mark - nearly there now.

MrM2, Glad to read you are on the road to recovery, isn't it strange how only a few weeks seems like a life time, I still haven't got my speed back - that is next on the list.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mr M2 - my QL is always tight on the right due to the way I sit at my PC (my mouse is on the right so I tend to lean that way a bit). It's one of the key core muscles and is involved in pelvic stability (and breathing!) so yes, very important.
    Sorry about your friend.

David, you're right about temps - I do all my best running in single digits temps. Having said that, I did get my 10K PB on a very warm summer evening race - the same race I am off to this evening. I was surprised then, and I don't expect to beat it today as it will be 23 degrees and I'm not quite back up to speed, so to speak.
    I have had a 4 minute shake-out this morning, just easy pace, because it was too nice out not to. Rain is forecast for the next few days so may as well make the most.

YTD: 907
  • MrM2 - sorry about your friend too.
    Cal well done on the 900 - good luck today
    I was invited to talk about running for an hour on a local radio station (NuSound Radio) - it created so much interest that they extended the programme for an extra hour and have asked if I would like to come back once a month?
    Of course I agreed - I can talk gibberish for England (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too) - in several languages.
    PS  I have been getting calls from some of the listeners asking for 121 sessions - will have to think about that as I am choosy about the company I keep - I don't want to ruin people's credibility by being seen with them. lol
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Gave blood on Monday night & decided last night would be a good idea to go for a run with my 16 year old son...who's a bit of a whippet uphill....didn't go well for me.

Got running club tonight so will be taking that easy...maybe :-)

Well done on 900 Cal, close now.

758 miles YTD for me, off on holiday to the Scottish Riviera next week so I'm hoping to run some of the Southern Uplands way from Portpatrick.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Another 3(.1) done - I was struggling a bit so bailed at the halfway point and just did the 5K which was rather slow as I'd gone out at 10K pace. Never mind.

YTD: 910
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Along with Mr MM and Cal I'm in for the Yorkshire marathon in Oct. Started this week with the intention of a longer run at least once a week. My usual after work trott is either 5k or 4 miles, extended one of these to 7.3 miles.

Cal: you suggested sleeping on my front could be a cause of calf cramp. You might be on to something. All still feels knotted up. 

Ytd: 593.8
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    We're about 13 weeks out, Donnie, so there's time but you'll need to be in double figures soon.
    I did 7 today, steady pace. Nice to be out early.

YTD: 917
  • Afternoon all from a sunny Hua Hin, quick update before sundowners

17.7 3.25
    18.7 3.95
    19.7 3.02

YTD 1088.03 miles

• MrM2, condolences regarding your friend. 

Haven't come upon that resort, but very happy with the one we're in - the Amari.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I lost a friend too, this week - he'd had cancer and had beaten it but was left so weak his liver failed. Real shame.

Hoblingwell parkrun today, which was a bit squelchy after the heavy rain. I didn't have the best of runs (27:16) but it's a tricky course with some undulations and steep cambers on grass. However, what with it being a small parkrun, I came 15th and was 2nd lady, so I'm very happy with that. I've never finished that high before!

YTD: 920
  • Sorry to hear that Cal, hearing it too often these days.

Took yesterday and today off, no reason other than laziness, plenty of swimming though.

Sitting in the Thai business lounge to fly to Phuket, thought we will have a glass of champers but no alcohol on domestic flights or lounge!!

Should be back out tomorrow morning along the beach.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done David,in finishing the Wendover 50k.Maybe the 100miles next year!That 20,000m of climb sounds very painful.Well on passing 600 as well.

MrM2,fingers crossed you can get out soon.Polly is coming on really well,she's going to be a good running companion.

Harmander,you could make a good living doing 121 sessions!

Sorry to hear about your friend Cal.Well done on passing 900.

15.07 - 8.04

16.07 - 8.04

18.07 - 8.04

19.07 - 20

20.07 - 6

YTD - 928.06 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done JD - looks like we'll both be hitting 1000 soon.
    13 done today, which is my first long run of my marathon schedule (well I know according to P&D it's on a medium run, but it felt bloody long!). Actually ran 13.1 because I thought I might as well make it a half marathon.

YTD: 933
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone nearing 1000, bit of a quiet week for me, letting myself recover from a couple of niggles (calf and hamstring) and giving blood. Couple of miles beach reps this morning. 
    767 miles YTD
  • Up at 0530, beautiful run by the beach and a few hills, great to see so many out and some just coming home!!

5.02 miles 

YTD 1093.05 miles 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope they're nothing too bad, Hobie.
    Did the team mile relays this evening, plus a mile of warming up. I set a new mile PB of 7:23 (that's the Garmin time - will have to wait on the official time) so happy with that given my recent problems.

YTD: 935
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Twice round my 5k for a 6 mile run, plus 4 miles and than 5k on the gym treadmill. 

Cal: who cares that it's a small parkrun, 15th is 15th!

Dubai: bit of holiday envy here, hope you keep having a wonderful time. 

Ytd: 607.1
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Mile time is now officially at 7:20. I did no training for that so I'm quite content with it.
    10 miles this morning.

YTD: 945
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done Donnie on passing 600.

Well done Cal that's good going.

22.07 - 5.35

YTD - 933.41

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone....our internet was restored today after a few days. Still looking on, enviously.
    Have tried a couple of brief jogs, with plenty of walking, but cannot bring a very positive report. Yorkshire marathon seems very unlikely now.
    Enjoyed watching some of the Anniversary Games' track events.
    Thanks for kind words. It's been a hard couple of weeks; wife hearing from the neurologist that her condition(s) will not get better due to an unhealthy cerebelum. But life goes on and we still have a lot to be thankful for. 
    Church service for our friend on Friday, then off to Chipping Norton for a week-end with a daughter. (Will be the first time I've been unable to run with her.)
    Hobie...16 year old sons can certainly bring you down to earth! I know ours did; 'athlete of the year' twice at his school, and competing up to county level.
    JD1...looks like you hardly glanced at 900'; heading straight towards the 1000'.
    Dubai...that great holiday seems to go on and on.......
    Cal...sorry to hear about your friend.
    Great things with your running these days; parkrun success, great mile time, and a 13.1 in the bag! Enjoy it; you've had some rough times recently.
    Enjoy your summer running everyone!

• MrM2 sorry to hear you're not back yet, but it's only a minor set back compared to your wife's news. But you seem to have a good Outlook and are positive.

Cal and JD1, who's going to get to 1k first? Cal great mile time and JD1 great consistency and mileage building.

Donnie I still don't know how you stick with the treadmill, but each to his own.

Hobie beach running for me as well, Patong beach yesterday and today and down the hill and back up to get there, feeling it in quads and glutes, bit different to pancake flat Dubai.

23.7 4.13
    24.7 4.50

YTD 1101.68 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I hope things start looking up for you. You definitely deserve some good fortunate after the past few weeks.

Sounds like you're having a blast, Dubai.

Very hot in London (was over 30 yesterday and is going to hit 37-38 tomorrow, all with a nice amount of humidty). Even though I got out at 5.30 again, it was noticeably warmer and more humid than yesterday. I did the planned 8 miles but was got rather thirsty - I didn't think I needed to take water as I hadn't yesterday for my 10 miler but I really could have done with some. I managed to lose 2lbs during this run but I've made sure I drank enough after to regain it.

YTD: 953
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Didn't expect to be back here so soon but things looked a bit brighter this morning.
    Thanks Dubai...enjoy the hills!
    Thanks Cal...Well done for getting out early and notching up those good, mid distance runs. All sounding good for you these days. Do you have a good stretch routine?

Introduced a few extra/different stretches last night, and again this morning. Perhaps I am turning the corner....it's just a very long bend. So, another walk/jog this morning, with slightly longer jog sections (Think 30secs-60secs) and very little discomfort. Next 24hrs will tell me if I am safe to progress.
    I'm adding my two x 2' walk/jog efforts to my tally, and hope to be adding a few more in the near future. YTD: 828'.   (824' was reached on 9thJune!)
  • Hey great to hear you're back out MrM2!

I should probably think about stretching, never bothered but probably wouldn't do any harm.

Followed the road to Paradise beach this morning, lots of undulating road and path. I'm sure all the pretty girls were excited to see a middle aged sweaty man on the beach with an old Edinburgh marathon t-shirt!!

5.97 miles with 360.2 meters of elevation gain.

YTD 1107.65 miles