Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks Birch! Ray is some way ahead on age grading! At least I have achieved my stated aim of getting under 22 this year! Will have to see how much further  I can go. Avoiding the niggles is the main thing. 

Humid and wet here again, WP! At least it will help the garden and also sweat some of my fat off!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Ale-No wet stuff here just humid!

6 miles for me this morning but legs not happy with the humidity .
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZC,wishing you all the best for health issue.

Welshpoppy,hope you had a good time at Tenby and got that run in.

Dave,brilliant quality times there by your son&daughter.The sharp end was pretty rapid.Hope you are easing back into a few miles now.

TS,hope you take your kit and have a great holiday.

Alehouse,great time there and well deserved.
    I must have missed Dave's off spring doing so well, so well done  :)

3 miles leg loosener for tomorrow not expecting great things as legs slow and heavy.But at least I get to run with folk and faster than at home hopefully :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good luck tomorrow, WP - hope the haircut is a "go-faster" one ;)   

heavy legs here also on yesterday's 4 miler - a real plod; feeling so unfit, (though I did go at the hottest part of the day), but today was better - a parkrun sandwich, 7 miles in total. the middle (parkrun) bit was only at "bit quicker than plod" effort, but the legs seemed to move better than yesterday, so happy enough.   rounded off with toasted teacakes, coffee, fruit & yogurt at my daughter's :)    

Dave
    Dave: It must have been although not faster a better race;-)

That sounds a good few days especially yesterday well done.Breakfast at Daughter's sounds just the job yum :)

Ammanford 10k

No chip so just gun start run by Ammanvalley harriers and what a difference so friendly and I bumped into the old guys from Trap race so we had a good chat and more importantly he could tell me about course. 4 miles of consistant climbing with some steep parts,
    I got chatting to a lady runner  living in Nottingham but from her originally we warmed up together which was nice.

Warm up was lap of Rugby field Achilles hates grass but needs must.
    It was 24 degrees and very hot but I felt better than last week o expectations just enjoy the race and company.
    First 4 miles were hilly but not a problem lots of runners walked the hills and these are club runners.I never walked even if I slowed down .It seemed to pass quickly I stopped at water station as cups drank and moved on.I finished in 59.27...phew faster than I had thought last 2 miles were the fastest:-)
    Will know more tonight on age cat etc
    But i felt less drained and an enjoyable race I will do again, 265 runners entered online and 135 left for on the day so not sure what the total number was.
    Elevation was  5 x that of Porthcawl and I was a minute slower:-)

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Welshpoppy,well done for getting another race done,maybe you should be a kinder on yourself and find a flat run if possible.

Dave,good mileage and teacakes sounds good.

Managed 9 miles today at 8:24 pace,way to fast for a slow Sunday run.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well done WP: lots more to come on that flatter course!
    Ray: too fast? Sounds like you coped so you must be in decent shape. Don't think I could run 9 miles, never mind at that pace.

Sounds better, Birch!

NZC: thought England's cricket win was particularly harsh on NZ. Beaten by the rules. Went to the alehouse afterwards and the general consensus was that it should have been shared. The luck of the Irish played a part also!

Hope TS packed his kit!

parkrun yesterday: was pleased with 23:4x without too much effort. Careful after Thursday's race. Ran on one of the easier courses.  5 mins plus for the first k then gradually upped the pace. Only passed by two people after the first k, one of whom was pushing a buggy.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - good one - probably a better performance than Porthcawl, given the course profile? 

Ray - excellent pacing there - don't think I could match that at max effort, currently  . . . 

nice work, alehouse - good pace whilst in the comfort zone  . . .    

another 4 yesterday morning, giving 21 for the week, so first steps on the comeback trail
     - followed by 9 hours on the sofa following proceedings at Lord's - and it seems we were even luckier than we thought !!

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/cricket-why-umpires-may-have-got-crucial-world-cup-final-call-wrong/567925a0-4c25-4d79-b39a-7e748cf2614a

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, Birch! I used to umpire in the Lancashire and Cheshire Leagues...and I would have got  it wrong also as my instinct would have been to call "dead ball", after consulting the other umpire first, of course! As I said yesterday, NZ were somewhat unfortunate. Hope you are gradually getting back to things, with the emphasis on gradually!

Long run of 53 minutes this morning, off road. 
  • Alehouse/Birch - An exciting game - both teams played their hearts out but there has to be a winner. Pleased both sides appreciated each others worth.

Welsh Poppy - nice work - well done.

Ray - good long run.

Alehouse - another good Parkrun - where I am in the field, I have kids, dogs and prams!

I did another Cornwall Parkrun - pretty slippery under foot - 29.16 AG 73.63%. I've had a couple of walks with the dog since then. Our weather is pretty miserable at the moment - overcast, rain on and off so everything is pretty wet and grey!

Dave: Oh yes totally agree better performance than Porthcawl.

21 miles for you for the week well done! the comeback trail begins in earnest :)

NZC:That sounds a good park run well done and also sounds like you have our weather and we have your sunshine!

Update 288 runners
    I was 204th
    4th old lady in the FV55 
    Only under 5 minutes between 1st and 4th place so work to do before next year :)

5 mile recovery run all done yesterday legs fine Achilles still protesting but getting less each day.I also treated myself to the new Garmin got a great deal on Amazon Prime day :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    NZC - splendid Age Grade ;  good work !  

WP - nice target - podium place next year !   Enjoy the new "toy" :) 

alehouse - nice offroad jaunt. 

In keeping with your "gradual" advice, I had a day off yesterday, after 3 on the bounce, so rested for 6 mile fartlek with my buddy today. Trailed in his wake on the "efforts" (he's recently run 45:04 for 10K at V65), but pleased to get the legs turning over a bit more quickly.    and, of course, more fun with company :) 

Dave
    Dave: That sounds a lot of fun with buddy better than on your own....you are coming on great guns :)

New "Toy" got it's first outing 8 miles and we are building up a great relationship getting to know each other :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    l it is very quiet here no park run reports? or training maybe everyone is on holiday :)

I have been running everyday 49 miles last week but a race this week so will be a little less.Not looking forward to the heat!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

I'm just ticking along, WP! Did do parkrun last week in an almost identical time to the previous week, although it did seem harder, probably because of wind and rain. 

Hope TS took kit to Madeira. Could be hilly!

And trust Birch is taking a gradual approach!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice week's miles, WP - your 49 is one more than my total for the previous 5 weeks !!   

alehouse - yes, gradual approach :)  - 4 miles today, with strides along the last mile. Very hot, though, as I didn't get out until 3pm  . . .     I've put my name down today as a "last resort" for my club's V60 team, for the Masters Relays on August 18th. Of course, no way to be anywhere near any form in 25 days, from the "ground zero" of my current level, and I hope I'm not required, but if it means getting a team out, well, someone has to do it  :/ 

Dave
    Ale: Good work especially with extreme weather conditions :)

Dave:It would have been horrific with the heat at 3pm!well done getting out. With the team they could not compete without you no matter the pace.August 18th I have a hilly race that day as well.I bet you will be faster than me :)

4 miles yesterday and 6.25 today so I better ease back on distance for race on Sunday!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi. Not a lot to report from me just now. I did do the very hilly park run the weekend before last and thought I'd knocked a minute off my previous time. Then I found a cone had been misplaced, meaning the course was short by about 250 yards. I calculated my pro rata time was 20 seconds quicker so pleased enough.

I ran with some new people on Monday as I'd heard a running shop near me had social runs a couple of times a week. A bit different from my club runs, which has packs of various speeds. With this run everyone goes together and the faster people wait every mile or so for the rest to catch up. The runs are all about 5k. I quite liked that and enjoyed it enough to plan to run with them again on Friday.

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    WP-decent weeks mileage by you.

Dave-well done for putting your name down and getting some runs in.

Alehouse-gradual is good with this weather.

Graham-Sweatshop do a similar sort of thing I think.

6x3mins efforts last night on trails and under cover of trees but still hot.
    Supposed to be doing 5k at Hyde Park this Friday at 12:30pm.Looks like it will be around 25 degrees so hopefully a breeze would be welcome.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - hopefully more temperate for your race on Sunday  . . .   

Graham - nice parkrun;  the running group sounds good  . .    

Ray - more good reps ;  race well on Friday !  

not often we get out early(ish) to "beat the heat", when its already 27C -  still, 8 miles in the bag, mainly (maybe 6 miles) in the shade. Included 2 x half mile "efforts" (in reality, fairly restrained), then 4 x 160m shallow hills in the park, before the last half-mile jog home (and a lovely tepid shower )  :) 

Dave
    Graham:Your running group sounds good and you enjoyed win win.

Ray: Good luck tomorrow with race

Ale: Good luck tonight!

Dave:That sounds a good 8 miles especially in the heat :) 

6.6 miles this morning so a two day taper for me :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Ray, good luck with the Hyde Park. I'm surprised it's only meant to be 25 degrees.

Dave, well done for doing 8 miles in the heat.

Welshpoppy, all the best for your upcoming race.

Too hot to run today I thought. 28 is very hot indeed for Newcastle and we just aren't acclimatised to it!
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham,not sure i will run it to be honest it may be to hot for me.Will make a decision in the morning.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well, that was warm. Phone said it was 31 with a feel like temp of 34.  Still perspiring now, 2hours after finishing. Somewhat humid!
    Local 5k series, The Sizzlers, part 3 of 4. 59 seconds slower than last time but seemed a harder effort. Looking at the results most people seem slower, and was 2nd in age group and a higher position. Didn't feel great all the way round and unusually quite a few passed me in the last 2k. I guess you just have to accept the conditions and get on with it...but wouldn't have run but for the fact that it was part of a series.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done, alehouse - not racing conditions, for sure  . . .   

interestingly (or maybe not) :)  your time (59 secs slower than before) , roughly correlates with this calculator - https://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/  

I used a temp of 88F (31C), and dew point of 70F (high humidity), and a race pace of 7:15 (22:30 for 5K),  and the adjusted pace for those values came out at 7:36 (23:30 for 5K) 
      . . .   

my legs certainly feeling it today, after yesterday's outing . . . .   
    maybe a loosener later - I'll see, as a few tasks to attend, and the cricket should be interesting  . . .  

Dave
    Ale: I think you did really well to race it and sounds like a great result with the weather!

I think sometimes you evaluate on start line and adjust the plan and just do your best.I am looking forward to September I am bound to be racing better then;-)

4 miles for me this morning the taper has began;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, great effort in that heat. Dave's calculator certainly puts it into context. Luckily in the UK we don't have to cope with such temperatures too often, unlike Mick and NZChristine in their summers.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, guys! And will look at that calculator shortly, Birch! Still haven't cooled down! Legs don't feel as if they have raced: usually struggle to walk the day after racing!

Cricket is interesting from ball one today! Could do with England bowling Ireland out by around 5.30 before I set off for Old Trafford to watch Lancs in their T20 v Worcs. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you are suffering with the heat big time.
    After such a long time living with weather extremes I have found that I can still maintain my all year round running but as I have grown older I have to back off on the intensity.
    It is 31c and humid here at the moment and this morning I ran with a friend along our favourite shaded river trail. 8k at a slow chatty pace and enjoyed it. As to racing no it is not really worth it during July and August.

NZC,
    I would love to give you a run for your money but I would not be able to compete with your AGs. I am struggling to get back up to 70%. The autumn and spring are the racing season around here so I am hoping to see a big improvement in my times in the Sept time frame. If I can match last year's 26 mins I will be happy.

With this hot weather spending lots of time in the pool and also out of it repositioning the pump system to remove a number of right angle bends in the plumbing that are causing the pump to work too hard. I have to rewire the electrical feed as the pump has to be in a different position.
    It is a two phase system here so 230v across the phases and 120 per phase.

Mick