My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Nice running and foaming JD. A sub 20 5k is not something I could aim for! Never run a 5k race or parkrun personally.

I can imagine your woodland activities were tough Will!

Good hob(b)ling Cal. Well done on 2nd lady. Good work on keeping going for your long run this morning.

Happy belated birthday LTT! Good collection of running pressies! Good luck for your 10k. Wouldn't worry about the lack of miles this week, you should have fresh legs. Hope its not too warm!

5 warm and muggy miles with OH yesterday evening with a couple of big dragonflies to report.  Got up earlyish this morning for 13.1 miles before breakfast. It rained during the night adding to the humidity but at least I timed it well to be back before the sun came out properly. 5 miles were done at around MP. Fairly quiet out, 2 riders, 2 runners and  few dogwalkers met.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday Linton,great running presents.Good luck with 10k race sure you'll do well.

Will,this camping lark sounds fun but not conducive for a good night sleep,hopefully it didn't rain too much whilst camping.

Great parkrun Cal always gives a boost to your confidence when you do well.Next time I'm at my sil I'm going to run Bushy,think it's only 5 miles away.Nice long run as well.

Solid running as ever Hazelnut,when's your next race?

6 easy miles yesterday evening,bumped into another runner who I hadn't seen for a while (been injured since May) so we're chatting about running as you do,nice to see him out again.

• Cheers folks, I had a great run on sunday! 

The race was organised by Deal triathlon club and was to raise money for Skin Cancer UK which had sadly claimed one of it's founder members, and over a fairly hilly course.

It was warm! I reckon 22/23 degrees, but I made sure to drink a fair bit before it started.  More by chance than anything I found myself in with a group of runners from a local club who were of similar pace, but a little bit better, and tried to hang on.

After a KM we swung right through some beautiful countyside, and the hills started!, I coped with the inclines OK, but have sore ankles today from the descents, but was holding decent pace, for me.

At 8 km I looked at my watch and was surprised to see 39 minutes and realised if I got a move on  I could get a PB. (The least bit of the course was flat)I managed the last two km at 5k pace and a time of 47:41, a PB by 9 seconds! Considering the course was much harder than normal I was really pleased. 

I still can't ever imagine getting a 40 minute 10k, after working out that needs a 6.5 minute mile (or below). Kudos to those that can. Practice I guess!

That's it now for weekend 10k races/fast Parkruns. I enjoy them but need to seriously work on my distance running, which is pretty poor. (numb legs and pretty much game over at 13 miles). The fun weekend 10Ks are replacing my weekend 2 hour run, and I need to keep this up to improve if I'm ever to do a marathon.

I have two weeks off work now, one away on holiday, one at home, so am going to try and get some substantial mileage going.

There is a trail half marathon coming up I want to try through a local triathlon club, but only about 60 people enter! Very small! But I guess that doesn't matter? And you get to finish at a proper stadium race track which sounds epic!

Great long run Cal, an unofficial half marathon! Glad the injuries are still improving and you're back doing long runs.

And another half marathon Hazelnut! Brilliant work.  I find it easiest running early, before breakfast too. Nice dragonfly spot, Always a nice sight.

Nice run JD, the running community do seem a very friendly bunch.

Have a good week.  Not sure about the rest of the UK, but it's going to be a fiercely hot week here in Sandwich. 26-33c all week!! 

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Busy bunch here!

Nice PB LTT, that must have been very rewarding as you focus on the longer distance.

Solid miles JD! Yes, I did volunteer with my club. It was an inter-club meet with a 10k, a relay and some kid races. Mornington Chasers had two in the top four, but a Serpentine runner won.

Hazel, always impressed with your mileage. If I run near that distance I struggle to focus on my feet, let alone fauna.

Cal, nice Parkrun. Is it one you'd recommend?

I decided to get up super early on Sunday and ground out 11k. Not bad as I had a procedure on Saturday that meant no food for 24 hours. Then went and volunteered which was fun, although you can get bored hearing 'thank you marshal'.  None of the front runners say it :-)

This morning I had an HR based 6k. Easy stuff.

I've planned a race for my team on Wednesday and we're heading to Hyde Park for the Run Through event. True to form it's looking to be 30c at run time. The curse runs on.
  • Happy birthday, Linton. You did alright with that haul. It's hard to fit everything in in life. It sometimes makes your head spin, but running gives me the space I need, even when it's a squeeze. Enjoy your Sauconys and I hope the 10K went well.

An inspirational little 'half' there Cal - showing what commitment can achieve. Likewise, Hazelnut. You two always give me the push I need to get out there. Unceasing effort.

I've just about recovered from my fortnight in the woods, JD1. Such a good experience for the kids. Had a day dissecting owl pellets on the beach at work yesterday! Tidy 6 miles from you.

An uneventful 4 miles last night. Took some back roads, into the dark side of the tracks. Joss sticks, herbal roll-ups and drunken Super Sunday rows. 

This morning I had planned a 14 miler, post school run as I had the day off. I stupidly thought it would still be reasonably cool at 9am. A couple of miles in and it was obvious it was going to be a testing run. Starting with 4 miles round the cemetery,  I could feel the weekend miles in my legs and the heat rising rapidly. I've been talking to one of the parents at school who recently completed a 93 mile ultra along the length of the Tyne. He runs 10 mins then walks 2 mins and reckons with this technique you can go on 'forever'. As I headed down for some trails by the river I thought I might need to employ those tactics. So, at 6 miles I walked for 2 minutes, munched a few jelly beans and then got back to running. Over the rest of the run I took 3 more walking breaks and it definitely looks like an interesting technique (I think I am headed Ultra way at some point). I was able to get back to pace with no problems and I certainly wouldn't have made it to 13.1 miles without the breaks - heat just kills me and it was 30 degrees C by the time I got home. So, it quite the 14 miles, but happy with a 'half' in 2:22. It's going to have to be a lot of early morning running for the rest of the summer!

I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    enrvuk - Definitely. It's small and friendly. Not hilly but a bit of a tricky course. Definitely best in Summer before it gets muddy. And as you can see from my position, good if you want a high finisher placing! Good luck in Hyde Park - it's going to be stupid hot so make sure you're well hydrated going into it.

Linton - yes, those are the temps we've got in London. Ugh!

JD - Bushy's great - they manage the numbers really well (but then it's only one lap with lots of space). Lovely location.

Will - yeah, I popped to Aldi around that time and it was already hot. I am looking at ultras too, for next year. I'd like to start with a nice 50K one, not too hilly!

Took part in the annual Battersea Park mile relays this evening. I ran 7:26 or so last year - this year they had chip timing (results are not in yet) but my Garmin made it 7:23 (I'd expect a second or so less officially) so a small PB. I'll take it! I always enjoy that event. It was warm, but for a mile it's not bad. Rather dreading the 10 miler I've foolishly entered on Sunday which will be hotter than I'm comfortable with. Ah well.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Just catching up with all the birthdays, broken watches, foaming shorts and woodpeckers.
    I've run the last three days (well four including a 20min high incline treadmill run Friday at the gym). It is warm and humid. Bit under 7.2miles tonight in the dusk in about 54mins. Got a face full of midges by the river. The geese were honking away. There was a Maserati (I think) with the number plate B1LL1E. It was being driven very loud. I'm guessing Billie is a bit of a prick. Last night 7miles. There was a girl having her photo taken sprawled across the bonnet of a car. She flicked seamlessly between posing and ferociously bollocking in Polish(?) her dad(?) who was taking the pictures. Saturday 8miles on/offroad. Really strong swirling breeze. Didn't seem to matter which way I went I was always into the wind. Nearly kicked a corgi into the river.
    Take care in the heat over the coming days everyone.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JT, I always love reading your posts.

Official mile time is 7:20. I'm happy with that given I've done zero speed training.
    Out early doors for a 10 miler, which I did averaging 9:54 pace. I have dropped a few pounds so wondering if that's the reason. Saw two cats, both black and white, but not much else of interest.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good luck with your race on Wednesday enrvuk,it's going to be a sticky one for you.

Nice long run Will,walking for a couple of minutes in this heat is a good way of getting round.Ultras don't appeal to me,too much running for my liking.There's a guy I work with and he's just completed 100m ultra.He's out every weekend on two long runs but he's single with no kids so there's nobody to give him grief.

Well done on your Battersea park mile PB Cal,I'd happily take a PB no matter how small.

You see some sights on your runs JT,sometimes I see cats sprawled across car bonnets but not girls unfortunately !

5.35 slow and easy miles last night with Polly at my side.

• A multi-terrain loop this morning! 4 miles of road to a petrol station. A Lucozade. 4 miles home. Pint of water. 3.4 mile of trail. 11.4 miles. Felt a bit sore from Sunday's race.

Everything has grown so much! A perhaps 30 acre field of maize is now as tall as me, and I can barely get through the bridle path.

Inexplicable joggers nipple (humidity?) and treading in dog####, the low points, being off road was nice though.

No birdlife, but I now have a very chirpy nest of sparrows in my loft.

Nice mile PB Cal and solid 10 miler! They do a Golden Mile event here too. Sounds good.

Nice run JD and nice to have a running buddy.

Amusing runs JT. I remember seeing a Lamborghini in London with the number plate WAN K3R. Made me chuckle.

Good long run Will and a long way. Ultra running just seems impossible to me.  Agreed, the heat is going to be brutal  this week.

Good luck for wednesday enrvuk.
    Nice to see lots of posts..

Well done on your surprise 10k PB LTT.  Seems you could take some time off of that yet - whenever you are ready to try it if you are changing your focus for a while. Enjoy your break from work - don't up the mileage too quickly.  The trail HM sounds interesting - with a small field you might be running on your own for stretches but if that prospect doesn't bother you why not try it out.

Good luck for your race tomorrow enrvuk.  30 degrees will be tough.  Hmm - keep the warm-up to a minimum, stay in the shade as much as possible pre-race and cool your skin with water (wet hair?)

Well done for getting through your hot run Will.  I can recommend run-walk - it is surprising how little time it costs over a distance and does give you a boost and an opportunity to get in fuel / drink.

Well done on your mile PB Cal!

Agree - I also like JT's posts..

Running rest day yesterday though I did go out on my bike for about 10 miles.  Dragged myself out of bed this morning to start my run at just before 7am (I'm not usually a morning runner) and was expecting to amble around with my eyes shut for at least the first few k.  Instead I had trouble not running much too fast. Might regret that as I am supposed to be doing speedwork tomorrow morning.  Fairly quiet out - one furry bunny spotted and the same two riders from Sunday morning (exchanged hellos).  Combine harvesters are working overtime at the moment getting in the grain.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Linton - look after those nips eh? I don't have that problem (sports bras) but I've had underboob chaffing a few times so now I have to make sure I lube up before long runs. :blush:
    No bunnies here, Hazelnut, though I have seen them on Wimbledon Common.
    Very hot in my flat at the moment and will only get worse. I slept in 28 degrees last night and the temp only dropped 1 degree overnight with the window wide open.

I was out at 5.30am again and it was noticeably warmer and stickier than yesterday. I ran 8 miles and it felt harder than the 10 I did yesterday. Didn't take water, which was a mistake as I got thirsty quickly and found I'd dropped 2lbs when I got back. (I made sure I drank enough to regain it after - weight loss isn't so good when it's just water weight). Still relatively brisk - averaged 10 minute miles.
    That is warm for (not) sleeping Cal.  When is the weather due to break in London?  Good idea with checking your weight due to loss of fluids. 

LT intervals this morning - out at just after 7am after a bad night's sleep - less the heat than the cats taking advantage of the bedroom door being open for better airflow.  I ambled around a 5k warmup not feeling much like doing speedwork but put in the usual drills and strides to wake up mind and body.  The LT intervals actually went well - 15 mins, 4 mins recovery then 12 mins.  Hit my goal pace of 4:25/km spot on with just a slight drop off on the last bit of the first interval.  24 degrees by the time I got home - I was dripping with sweat, but I am slowly starting to cope with the warmer temperatures.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It should get a little cooler on Friday but still 26 degrees, then mid twenties after that. Tomorrow's going to be insane - 38 (that's 100 F!). F*** that!
  • Out at 5:17am and it was rather atmospheric. Rain gradually increased and ended the 4 miles in thunder and lightning,  which had made a big impact a few hours previously. 

Saw some likely lads on a street corner looking like they'd had a long night. One was drinking 2 bottles of beer simultaneously,  both held in one hand. Skills.

Found 15 pounds in the road.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a lucky run, Will. No rain or storms in London, which is a shame. So not looking forward to traveling on the tube today. Agh.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Great intervals Hazelnut,a very speedy workout .

Good find Will,I don't have those beer skills though.

Don't envy you using the tube today Cal.

Just over 8 miles this morning.2 mile warm up,2 miles @ 5kp.Had a 5 minute recovery and wanted to do the same for another 3 miles but my legs felt heavy and hamstrings very tight so I just gently ran home.Felt ok in the first two miles,I'll blame the recovery !
  • Out at 6. The heat wasn't quite as brutal as I thought it may be as a cool breeze had sprung up. Still probably 25 ish though. I wanted to get one more long one in before I go on holiday. I could feel Tuesday's 11.5 in the legs, but not too bad.

Building a bit of a rapport with the petrol station guy I always buy a drink from at mile 5, although I always cringe handing him sweaty coins, yuck.

At the counter his wife(?) served me today, telling me Lucozade is now 2 for 1. I said I wouldn't have anywhere to put another one. She got me a plastic bag and insisted I take it. I politely said I couldn't really run with it, she insisted. I hid it in a bush.

Did my long loop, plus an extra loop with the one hill I can run up.  It was warming up fast now.  Fairly battered by the time I got in and slowed to 11:30 minute miles, shuffle running. 12.7 miles overall.

Nice run Will, you know it's early when people are still coming home!

Nice training Hazlenut, I had to Google LT training so I've learned something else! Sounds very beneficial.

I know what you mean about it being hard to sleep at the moment Cal! It's so hot! Nice long run.  Hope the tube was bearable. I always love the efficacy of London tubes compared to Kent's bumpkin transport but they're definitely warm!

Good effort JD. I had aspirations of doing some fast splits that didn't happen today, Always next time I guess!

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    About 7.8miles late last night. Tangible difference in the air temp between running through town and out onto common land. To physically taxing to get any benefit running in the daytime heat. Been to the gym because they've got air conditioning.
  • Good efforts, Cal, JD, Linton and JT. Bonus Lucozade hiding skills.

In case you're wondering...yes I kept the 15 squid and have put it towards the kids' holiday ice cream fund.

Early morn the only possible option so was out again today at 5:30am. It felt like being in the tropics. My pace has tumbled to heatwave mode, but that's alright with me. 5 easy paced ones took me to 33 for the week and I may well drop another one in tomorrow. I'm always awake by 5 and I really feel sparkling for the whole day after a morning run, until I pass out at about half eight. No money found breezing around the gutter today. I felt robbed.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Profitable run finding 15 pounds Will.  I wouldn't worry about paces in the heat.  Lucky you wake up and are ready to run like that.

Good run in the heat LTT.  Did you recover the Lucozade from the bush?  Have a good holiday! 

Jealous of your air-conditioned gym JT.  Guess I could find one but I don't want to pay for it. 

Hope Cal survived the tube.

Just short of 7 miles this morning before breakfast and work, timing it nicely to get back for a telco.  Felt quite spritely after yesterday's rest day.  Included 2 x 5 x strides.  Spots: 2 squirrels and a fox.  Also a couple of familiar faces out dogwalking and non-dog walking.  22 degrees and humid but the sun was behind some clouds.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I did - my flat (which was almost 30 degrees and did go over after I'd been home for a bit) felt comparatively cool. Didn't sleep well though.
    It was nice to run in the rain this morning. It's still fairly warm and muggy but a lot more bearable. I did just over 6 miles (10K) which my Garmin then lost because it refused to communicate with my PC when I got home and I had to reset it. Not the first time this has happened so I may be shopping for a new one.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Will, that ice cream fund won't last long if they're anything like my two.I wouldn't worry about your pace in this heat.

Enjoy your holiday Linton.

Nice runs,Cal,Hazelnut and JT.

Just over 21hot and sweaty miles this morning.Not as easy as last week but ok considering the conditions.A massive oak branch was blocking the canal,must weigh at least 8 ton.

On holiday for nearly 3 weeks,taking girls to Morfa Nefyn on the Llyn Peninsula for a week from tomorrow.Plenty of great running on the beach and local trails.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Big run in this heat JD1. Even early morning the air is still very warm. You must have acclimatised well.
    7.3miles in 56mins last night. Pace bouncing about a bit. Lots of packs of snails making a break from the shade and hurrying across the pavements. There were bunnies and a log that looked like a cow. I'm probably due an eye test. No money was found, counterfeit or otherwise.
    Stupid Garmin Cal. 

Great long run JD. Have a great holiday (nice area).

Another post which made me smile JT. (Imagines sprinting snails). I mistook a large grasshopper for a clump of grass recently so I might join you at the opticians.

10 miles this morning before breakfast.  As planned progressive, starting at recovery pace and ending a bit quick with MP. Warm and muggy after yesterday's rain. Quiet out again. Just 2 dogwalkers met. Kept one eye on the ground but no money to be seen.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am a bit shortsighted myself. On most runs I pass a garden that has a large, terracotta pot that I keep mistaking for a ginger cat.
    No run today - I was RDing at parkrun. It pissed own relentlessly. At least the 10 miler tomorrow will be a bit cooler than I'd feared.
  • How did the 10 miler go, Cal? Nice 10 from you, Hazelnut. 

I'm in a hotel in Teddington for the weekend with the Outlaws. Managed to nip out along the Thames path for 4 briskish miles this morn pre-breakfast. Felt good to up the pace a bit. Lots of nice Balsam along the river. Blackberries already ripe another shameful sign of climate change. London runners out in grumpy force. 1:20 nod ratio - miserable swines. Some pool and steam room time later then back home on my own while the wife and kids head to Cornwall.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I find older runners are generally friendlier, Will - 20 somethings with headphones rarely make eye contact, let alone smile, though there are always exceptions. The blackberries on Tooting Common have a little way to go yet, but once they're there I'll be up there with my tupperware.

Lee Valley 10 miler today. A bit of a schlep out to East London, but I'm used to that now I'm doing all the different parkruns. The country park location, right next to the Olympic White Water centre, is very pleasant - you wouldn't know you were in London. Lots of waterfowl with juveniles - mostly greylags and swans plus ducks and coots and moorhens. Weather was favourable too - below 20 and a bit drizzly at the start although it dried up.

The event was quite low key - it was a 10K and a 10 mile, with the latter being two laps so once again I had to face the dreaded split where you could opt for the shorter distance if you wanted to. I took that option at Clapham Common last week so I was hoping I'd be strong enough here not to be tempted.

Unfortunately I made a ham-fisted attempt to start my Garmin and somehow switched it to the wrong data (calories I think!) so pacing myself wasn't as easy as normal. Tried switching it back but couldn't figure it out on the move. I had the pace indicator at least, but not distance, which was disconcerting, so had to relay on the mile markers.
    Goal was so stay below 8:45 pace which I found easy at first (first mile was 8:28) but I started to slow at around 4 miles. I was a bit concerned as that wasn't even half way but when I got to the 10mile/10K turn I continued on for the second lap. I concentrated on keeping my pace as steady as possible, but the park seems to have a few satellite dead zones as watch was showing 8:40 pace but then it would jump up when I got to the next mile (the worst was one mile that came in at 9:13). Still, I knuckled down and used a couple of runners in front of me to pace off, and when it came down to the final mile I went past an older guy in a club vest and stayed fairly strong to the finish.
    While I found it quite tough in places, I didn't push myself too far out of my comfort zone - if breathing started feeling laboured I'd slow it down a bit amd concentrate on my form.

I was happy to come in at 1:28.something gun time, which translated to 1:28.09 chip time, a PB of 49 seconds. I felt slightly annoyed I hadn't gone under 1:28 but I'm happy to have a PB at all after a rough few weeks.

Achilles was slightly sore but not horrendous, which was good as it was a bit grumpy when I got out of bed this morning.

Not much at the finish beside cups of water, a banana and a smallish medal that was the same for both distances, but I'm OK with that.

Met some nice people on the way home and chatted with them, and a couple are also doing the Pride 10K which I'm doing in two weeks, so hopefully see them there.

Hope you survive without your family Will, though maybe you can enjoy some peace and quiet as well, two sides to it I guess. Good nod or spoken greeting ratio here in general but it is more or less standard culture to greet people here (at least out in the sticks it is).

Well done on your 10 mile PB Cal. Nice to have someone to chat to. Good that you were able to push past the temptation of cutting it short.

Just short of 12 miles this afternoon. First time I have run in the rain in weeks, wasn't cold though.  Having done a progressive run yesterday I opted for a route with a hilly second half, so slower but with a higher effort level.  5 downhill and flat miles to start off, then an evil 1k climb involving 2 flights of steep steps.  Not my strongest ground. Missed the turn I had intended but I know the area fairly well and didn't get lost. The principle of follow the ridge and don't go up or down is fairly easy I guess.  I did have to descend back to the valley before the around 2 mile slog back up the other hill to home, worked reasonably hard on that.

Met few people to greet, just some dogwalkers in full waterproofs, maybe also as protection against their soaking dogs which were enjoying a dip in the brook.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Lots going on, lucky finds, great 10Ks, heat, ducks, dogs! JD, great miles. Will, definitely building up. 

Glad you enjoyed Lea Valley Cal, I liked the course, if not the finish. I missed a 2h6 HM goal by 12 seconds. due to watch miscalculation issues, so I sympathise.

Few runs from me, 5k at Hyde Park with my team. Good fun despite being 30c. I treated it as a reasonably leisurely training run and took about 27m30s. Some hill sprints on Friday at Primrose Hill, supposed to be 8, but I missed the first one kicking off. Oddly I enjoyed them. Finally today was a 19.4k long, slow run with my brother in law around Elsenham, Stansted Mountfitchet and Birchanger. All good fun and not feeling too bad. It took me a minute or two over two hours. Didn't seem to be a lot of wildlife, but plenty of friendly hellos. Note for Will. 

Rest day tomorrow thankfully, 43km this week. The most yet.

Have a great running week all.