Comrades 2020

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Terry - that's great news.

Mac3 - I've ran Beachy a couple of times so know what its like, however its such a lovely trail route that you don't really run it. Indeed last year, my watch said i was stood still for over 30 minutes!!! (Probably eating at the feed stations and listening to music). I have though managed to  persuade lots of club mates to come and join in and a trail race with no pressure on the clock was the best way. Also, at 22 miles there is an ice cream van and i have promised them all one....going to be a tad expensive me thinks!!!!!
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Terry, that's good news. Here's to more running!
    Mc Hilly: I'd like to do Snowdonia marathon some day - but it's always sold out by the time I think about entering!
    Mac3: that sounds like my sort of race - enjoy!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2020 Qualification
    25Aug Qualification Opens
    07Sep
    Jungfrau (M) Mac3
    22Sep
    Hull (M) marty74
    06Oct
    Chester (M) Mc Hilly
    06Oct
    Isle of Wight (M) Debra Bourne
    20Oct
    Poznań (M) Becca7
    20Oct
    Abingdon (M) Fido2Dogs, baldstan
    26Oct
    Snowdonia (M) Mc Hilly
    26Oct
    Beachy Head (M) marty74(100th), Debra Bourne
    27Oct
    Ghost of Cyclopark (M) Debra Bourne
    03Nov
    New York (M) Becca7, Mac3
    06Dec
    Abu Dhabi (M) Dubai runner
    17Jan
    Muscat (M) Dubai runner
    24Jan
    Dubai (M) Dubai runner
    01Mar
    Tokyo (M) Mc Hilly
    15Mar
    Barcelona (M) 1owrez
    11Apr
    Two Oceans (M) thomasclowes
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    14Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    baldstan, johnny1984, Terry48, Debra Bourne, Becca7, pottermiss
    Hilton 1owrez, Mc Hilly, Dubai runner
    ONOMO Slow Duck, justanothrrnr, marty74
  • You were up late lowrez!! 

Got my run and swim set in, healthy breakfast and now wondering if 10am is too early for a beer??
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Body clock is a bit hawire :)

It's 5 o'clock somewhere :D
  • Terry - good news with the heart. Are you not signed up for a jaunt around Berlin in September? Are you able to do that?

Debra / SD - Do you have any advice for dealing with several ultras in a year. (Still nowhere near your amount of running but a lot more than I'm used to) I also need to think about trainers. Do they need to be waterproof, what size and more than 1 pair for an 100 miler? Race vests?

I guess I know whats coming my way for birthday and Christmas :)
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Thanks SS. Yes, signed up for Berlin.  I'm hoping to manage just enough miles before then to build up some stamina for a jog/walk 'sightseeing' effort, hopefully under their 6:15 'cutoff'. I might manage it if I can stay motivated to build up slowly once I'm 'allowed' to restart jogging after this weekend. It's a tall order, starting from a low base.

I'll miss another 10 days training from next Friday when I'm off to the Red Sea for 7 days of 'liveaboard' scuba diving out of Hurghada. Easier than running😊.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Terry - good news on the successful Op.  Hope this helps you to build up for Berlin.  Enjoy the cross training, aka diving!

Marty - sounds like a nice way to bring up the 100. 99s all round with a flake and sauce!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Comrades 2020 Qualification
    25Aug Qualification Opens
    07Sep
    Jungfrau (M) Mac3
    22Sep
    Hull (M) marty74
    29Sep
    Berlin (M) Terry48
    06Oct
    Chester (M) Mc Hilly
    06Oct
    Isle of Wight (M) Debra Bourne
    20Oct
    Poznań (M) Becca7
    20Oct
    Abingdon (M) Fido2Dogs, baldstan
    26Oct
    Snowdonia (M) Mc Hilly
    26Oct
    Beachy Head (M) marty74(100th), Debra Bourne
    27Oct
    Ghost of Cyclopark (M) Debra Bourne
    03Nov
    New York (M) Becca7, Mac3
    06Dec
    Abu Dhabi (M) Dubai runner
    17Jan
    Muscat (M) Dubai runner
    24Jan
    Dubai (M) Dubai runner
    01Mar
    Tokyo (M) Mc Hilly
    15Mar
    Barcelona (M) 1owrez
    11Apr
    Two Oceans (M) thomasclowes
    02May Qualification and
    Race4Charity (PenCC) Closes
    14Jun
    Comrades

Accommodation
    Belaire
    baldstan, johnny1984, Terry48, Debra Bourne, Becca7, pottermiss
    Hilton 1owrez, Mc Hilly, Dubai runner
    ONOMO Slow Duck, justanothrrnr, marty74
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Editor seems ill this morning, I'm not seeing anything blue, but I haven't done anything different, I think...
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Good news Terry! 

Running rather than not is the big win.

I did a parkrun in Stockholm last weekend - absolutely lovely - then came back to a double, no, triple headed emergency but things are settling down again. Now.
    Look after yourself Lowrez! (one of the fires I was fighting was one of those things where someone's had their ketchup bottle shaken a lot over the years and something relatively moderate 'opened the lid' and they just couldn't sleep at all and were most unwell).

Things are settling down now though and I made up for having to miss a meetup with another group of RW buddies by buying my first road bike from a clubmate. Am worried about Abo as have got nasty PF and ITB issues as well as crunchy knee - getting the first two looked at (can't do owt about #3 bar stay off the pies!) but it's good to have SOME exercise option which gets me out (further than 5-10k!).
  • Hey all. I think we are well on track to beat last years thread length ;)

I have absolutely not recovered from Comrades. I've taken the past 2 weeks off from any form of exercise and I just constantly feel drained. Life is fairly stressful at the moment but I feel like Comrades must still be the major contributing factor. It is bemusing then extent to which my body is having none of it.

Seeing everything everyone is running/has planned is great ! Everyone who I have met/spoken to here seems super passionate about running (especially ultras :P) so on the off chance anyone is interested.. I am looking for people to write articles about running - race reports, training, nutrition etc and am paying in running gear, and race entries. If anyone is interested, let me know ! 
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    @lowrez:  I'm at there Hilton again next year.  No idea about qualifier yet.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Great news @Dannirr, will update the table later, see you there, hopefully before too at a qualifier somewhere :)
  • I've realized the task ahead, last 2 days have ran along Patong beach in Phuket, I have a run down the hill and back up at the end, the hotels golf buggies struggle and I'm using that as an incentive to race and pass them. However I can really feel it in my quads and glutes so will have to do something about that .

In pancake flat Dubai my last half had a 2 meter elevation change!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I keep pointing out that the year Alberto Salazar won Comrades he did all his training on running machines, don't know what makes or models but I am assuming he programmed the course profile into them and ran a lot of hills, it was an up run that year though.
  • I have respect for anyone who can train on a treadmill, I'd rather tackle the heat and run outside.

I have mountains about a 1.5 hour drive away, guess I'll be doing some training there.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Mountains sound great, and you do have acres of wonderful heat too, you've got it made :D I am expecting great things from you Dubai :)
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Dubai Runner - you are probably referring to Jabel Hafeet?  (I used to work in Abu Dhabi).  I never saw a runner there, some cyclists but mostly mad drivers tearing up and down it!  Living in pancake flat Netherlands I have the same problem, but some running on a treadmill helps and cooler in a gym than 40C outside.  I almost got heatstroke training even early in the morning, your 'Winter' though is pleasant for training and similar to temperatures for Comrades. The other thing recommended for the down run is to do leg strength work for the quads and calves.  Squats, dead lifts, lunges etc.  I also believe you can part substitute the lack of hills with interval training which also puts strength into you legs.
  • Mac3, was thinking Jebel Jais. Roads wider and I can go during the week whens it's not as busy. After years of running in the heat, I don't mind it though the runs are shorter and I slow the pace.

My wife is a gym bunny and has recommended her PT for gym work, we will see..
  • Mac3 actually Jebel Hafeet might be a good idea, I live just off the Al Ain road so straight down the E66 might work as well.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    lowrez:  a couple of years ago I decided I needed to emulate the Comrades route on a treadmill - for a down run.  My treadmill has a decline feature - so I set it at -6% and ran 10 miles downhill.  Worst mistake - it killed my quads and hamstring!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A bad workman... (stop that 1owrez - be nice!). Had you run downhill much prior to that Dannirr? That sounds like an awful lot of downhill all in one go? I recall Bike it telling us he put bricks under the rear of his machine to increase the gradient :D
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Oh, not blaming the tool at all.  Blaming the idiot who decided to do it.
  • For anyone who might be interested... two separate tracking systems for the Lakeland 50 this Saturday, and you can follow me on both. I'm 598 and we start at 11am.

This one will show each time I reach a checkpoint.

And this one should provide live tracking, showing exactly where I am on the course.

Please remember that last time I took 13 hours 23 minutes to complete this race - I'm not going to be finishing in under 10 hours, unlike NDW50.

Note: my providing this does not mean I expect you to spend the day tracking me, but it's available if you're curious.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Good luck Debra, so these being "lakes" it'll be flat as a pancake right? :D

@Dannirr I recall the day I decided to take up some complimentary strength training to supplement my running prowess and looked up a beginners set of exercises on RW; I ended up in agony after a daft number of lunges (given I had probably never lunged before in my life). Forget how long it took me to recover from that :D

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS have you been out with your spray cans again?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes bricks at the back of the treadmill for the decline.  In those days I did sessions specifically emulating the course profile of the middle section of Comrades.  These days I'm a much more casual runner.

I'm with Mac- I also live in a flat area - 'hill' sessions on the treadmill add strength - running outside adds endurance.  I do also run in Johannesburg's Northcliff district for hills,

I think you have to separate hill running technique, the physiological benefits of training and self management during hill running.  IMHO most of the physiological benefit can come without setting foot on a real hill (e.g. I am thinking of one of us who ran in 2012 who lived and trained on a North Sea oil rig).  Reasonable hill running technique is needed and if you already have it you wouldn't really need to train it.   As for the self-management aspect, that is also learnable by running hills.
  • Start is 11.30, not 11...
  • Good luck Debra!!

Followed the road/path to Paradise beach this morning, very undulating, 30 degrees and 90% humidity. Only 5.97 miles but got 360 meters elevation gain, the most I've had since trail running in Nepal last year.

Lots of pretty ladies at the beach, they were rewarded with a sweaty middle aged man in an old Edinburgh marathon t-shirt!!