Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    No running here since the Race To The Stones last week. Was recovering OK by literally doing nothing and then another groin issue surfaced, just like to 2 weeks before the event.
    So, I did the same thing and applied loads of ice, foam roller and as it improved did some strength work. Feels pretty good today, so will give it one more day before starting the NYC campaign tomorrow. If I can run 62 miles, I reckon my endurance is in a good place!  :D

Autumn 2019 Race List:

Stevie - 
    29/09 Berlin Marathon - Target Sub 2.45
    Lorenzo - 20/10 Abingdon Marathon
    G-Dawg - 03/11 New York Marathon - no PB target, just enjoy it
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have bought red shoes, I think perhaps as a result of the excitement generated from continuing to run every other day now. But also, if I am honest, because I secretly think they are the reason OO continues to be such an inspiration with his pace.  Up to 40 minutes on my runs now.  Will lurk until I feel I am able to get going on a training plan for a race of some sort. Until then, keep on keeping on, everyone.  It is all very impressive here these days with "casual" runs along the tube lines (you really have gone ultra full-time these days Lorenzo and are obviously very good at it) 40 mile race wins (well done Speedy!) and sub- 2:45 goals (great improvement since you joined the thread Stevie - I think I know your coach!)  Am keeping fingers crossed for you Poacher. It ain't over till the fat lady sings or whatever.  Hope you are OK Birch.  And where is Gul with his summaries to crib from these days? Jools get the ankle properly rehabbed and strong before building up on it again.  Barre is excellent for it if you can find a class with a teacher trained in classical dance who gets you on demi pointe all the time.  It has done wonders for my ankle rehab and now prehab.

Edited to say: Congrats on the 62 miles, GD! Nuts!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's great to hear MsE sounds like very good progress. Enjoy the red shoes and wear them with pride 😆
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

Good to see you back running MsE - hopefully the injuries are behind you and you can build the training back.  I've been struggling to get the speed up so perhaps I need to invest in the red shoes as well ...

Sounds like you've got the icing and foam rolling technique perfected G-D.  Hopefully, you can get back on the NYC training.

Good easy 12 miles DT - hopefully the weather cools before Saturday!  Still working on the Autumn marathon entry - if you hear of an Abingdon entry going spare let me know!

That's a confidence building 12 miles Stevie.

Nice the legs are holding up Lorenzo after your tube exploits.  Have you thought about running the entire Thames Path sometime?  I need to walk or run it sometime.

An excellent run at the Grim Reaper Speedy and a good placingHow did your pacing change over the course?

That's still a tidy time OO - the beach sections can't help with the pace.

Good racing Leslie - building back nicely.

A bit hot today but a 10K tempo session on the plan.  Back on the treadmill, which was the better option, although still a little on the warm side even at lunch time.  Had to drop the pace a little and break the tempo section in to a 6K and 4K but good to have got done.  39:36 for the 10K section with 3K w/u and w/d.  Good to have got done in the conditions.  Just need to work out how to get tomorrow's 15 miler done - may have to use the treadmill at lunch time.  At least I only have a 10K recovery session for Thursday!

• Great to see you back MsE! 

SBD - I used the first lap as a recce to see which parts I would walk in later laps. Lap 2 I walked the long grass hill, lap 3 the long and short grass hills and lap 4 I realised I had time to also walk two short tarmac hills and part of the awkward grassy bit that was full of holes big enough to lose a foot in. I also took more time at my tent restocking each lap. So each lap was a little slower than the last, but that was kind of deliberate. I don't think you can negative split a run like that one. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you MsE! My coach seems to be a popular man haha. Hope the return to running keeps going well and you get to use the red shoes in a race shortly!

G-Dawg - Hopefully you have solved the hip issue and can get cracking with the NYC campaign. Definitely nothing wrong with you endurance!

SBD - I think Abingdon normally have a waiting list you can put your name down on. I think most people tend to get places from there each year. Great tempo again.

Tune up session of 12 x 1min last night off 90s recovery. Did out and backs from home so I could stash a couple of water bottles on the drive to keep me cool, seemed to do the trick. Felt pretty good and most reps coming out around 5k pace, last 5 were 5.40 or faster. Really looking forward to Saturday now, got to get back for a BBQ which means I wont be able to watch the elite races which is a shame but should be a good event
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hello everyone! Thought I'd better pop in and let you know I'm still alive. Got back off holiday at the weekend, but been going into work early (6am) as we have external auditors coming in soon and there's a mountain of stuff to sort out. Will try and read back now in my lunch break :)
    Leslie - nice downhill 5k (can you remember that far back now?!) And well done getting another race under the belt too - 15k race is something you might see on a P&D training schedule!
    OO - cracking sub 18 parkrun - 86% WAVA is massive. And a brilliant 5k too just a few days later. And another one! Flabbergasted. Sub 10 3000m!!! This is some mightily impressive form. Nice 2nd place to round off the week. Take a well earned break from racing now!
    Stevie - good swimming. Did some myself on holiday - only a small private pool, so probably spent more time turning than swimming! And some cracking reps from you too.
    Speedy - nice training marathon.
    SBD - sounds like your campaign is going well already. Nice long run and tempo session.
    Jools - sorry to hear about the illness and injury. Hope you can recover and get an uninterrupted block of serious training in now. And belated birthday wishes!
    DT - well done on the hilly sub 40. Is Magor this coming Saturday?
    GD - congratulations on the 100k!!! That sounded really tough, so very impressive achievement. Hope you're recovering well.
    Lorenzo - great 100 mile bike ride. Nice XT for your tube run. And nicely bagged.
    Poacher - hope the local doc can work some magic for you.
    MsE - good to hear from you. Hope you can put those red shoes to good use very soon.
    Not much running going on here. My right leg is feeling weird. Doesn't feel like an injury as such, but muscle is aching and I can sense it's affecting my gait, so holding back and just doing short 2-3 mile runs to work. Maybe it does need a good pummelling as SBD suggested. Tuscany was stunning by the way. Enjoyed doing the tourist sights in Florence, but a week in a hillside villa overlooking the Apenines with a pool and tennis court tops just about anything (then of course there's the food and wine...)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you, Gul. Yes a good pummelling is often good.

Yes Magor is Saturday. In the mix of the weather we are in the midst of, with Saturdays current forecast I've lucked in.

Easy 3 with strides tonight which I think I will take to the treadmill for. Plan Saturday is to go through 5k at 19.10 with no crazy first mile and feel controlled and then hopefully run the next 5k at least 5 seconds faster! I am not at all sure I have that in me, but I've nothing to lose in trying.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Gul! Hopefully you can the leg feeling back to normal soon. Tucscany sounds brilliant!

Have a bit of confidence DT! I also have 3m with strides to do, looks a bit cooler later so going to head to the track to do them. Only 200s so should be able to prevent overheating
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a fab holiday Gul, very jealous. Hope the leg improves soon sounds very odd.
    Easy week here not felling 100% but hoping I’m ok and back on it soon.
    Sounds like a good plan DT.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good holiday skills, Gul. Hope the aching leg gets sorted soon.
    Sounds like a good plan there DT. Go for it!
    You've smashed some great times recently, OO. Maybe your body just needs a little recovery? Hope you're feeling better soon.

I did only my second run for July yesterday, just over 5 miles taking my monthly total to 67!!  :D
    It was blooming hot so I just had a good old plod to re-engage the running muscles after yet more injury management. All went well, so I'll continue to increase volume slowly over the next couple of weeks.

The NYC campaign is officially on!

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hey all, been avoiding the thread whilst in my non-running stupor due to work but now time to get back at it, lose the quite impressive amount of weight I've put on and hit some autumn targets. Muddy and wet 10k last Friday was an eye-opener when I struggled to do a 44 minute race! Things should come back fairly quick I hope - pacing a 5k Saturday evening so need to at least manage 3k @ 6:20ish per mile!

Not even going to try to catch up on everything; but hope everyone has been doing well - I see G-Dawg completed race to the stones - definitely one on my bucket list.

Autumn 2019 Race List:

Stevie - 
    29/09 Berlin Marathon - Target Sub 2.45
    Lorenzo - 20/10 Abingdon Marathon
    G-Dawg - 03/11 New York Marathon - no PB target, just enjoy it
    Nicko1981 - 13/10 Royal Parks Half - 1:23 not as a squirrel; break top 100.
    9/11 - Gower Coastal Half - break top 25.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Nicko! I'm sure the fitness will come back fairly quickly. If you could manage 1.23 as a squirrel that would be very impressive!

Good luck tomorrow DT! 

Did my last tune up last night. The 3m easy actually felt harder then the strides! 4 x 200 in 40s (was aiming for 42). Legs are feeling good so looking forward to tomorrow. Im in the 17.30 paced race so the aim is to beat that and finish as high up as I can. No idea what the weather will be doing, the forecast has changed so many times!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It'll come back with some consistent training, Nicko.

Thanks, good luck in your race.

I've not entered a race yet for the Autumn. Have a few ideas but nothing firm yet.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well as i thought, i couldnt quite hold that pace then pick it up. It didnt help that they changed the finish slightly and so it measured 6.25m and it must be the only place in the country that's sunny. 30 minutes away as i drove down it was 17c, heavy cloud and raining. There it was sunny and about 22. 

i digress with excuses! i went with plan i went though 5k in 19.11 with a 6.09, 6.10 and 6.09. About 7k i began wilting in the sun. Despite the looped nature of the course there was one water station before 5k where i had half a plastic cup of water. Second half i was meant to just nudge it up but unfortunately it just nudged down with 6.11,6.16 and 6.13. By the ladt 400m i was beaten and knew nothing was on for me so couldnt mustet any finish with 6.17 for that bit and 38.44 on watch. 

It leaves me questioning whether the plan was right for me. I find when i am working at top end i cant deliberately pick it up so wonder if id run the first half 20s faster if that might have helped me as that's what i did there last year. 

Anyway, main target 10k is Telford in December. For now I'll take an SB and 3rd fastest 10k I've done. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good to me DT

18:12 at Blyth parkrun for me 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    GUL glad you had a nice holiday and hope you can get right back in where you left off after a cautious start again.
    Nicko I know all about weight gain lol , not so easy to lose and a bit of work needed by you for a 1:23 half !
    Stevie goodluck tomorrow in the 5k sounds like you are well up to it.
    0054 another very fast 5k just no stopping you .
    DT19 cracking time even if not quite what you wanted.

Just a couple of easy 5 milers after nightshift here and a 1/2 mara next Saturday expectations are to mainly get round lol

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Leslie, yes I'm not too upset. I have a running vest sun burn so happy it was warm and I've only really had 6 weeks focus. It's 4th consecutive year ive posted a sub 39 which is good. I'll get my August holidays done then ive about 14 weeks to Telford to really try and crack it. 

Good luck in the half. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    MsE: I am just about to buy myself a wobble board.  I can remember (just about!) the ballet I did 30 years ago (I may not have been any good, but I did stick at it for 5 years), so perhaps I need to add some basic barre stuff at home (I think a bannister will do as a substitute barre for easy exercises).

Bristol & West's Night of the 5,000m last night and (after having sensibly opted to move down a race given my lack of training), pleased to finish in 19.49.  Not an amazing age grade but a stepping stone to build on (together with the rehab!)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice hols Gul
    Nice ultra-ing CC
    Liking the autumn race plans, Berlin is definitely one of the fastest courses anywhere too.
    Good running all

Back to last Sunday, the Northumberland Coastal Run is THE big event locally, sadly it was the first time I've missed running it since 06.  OO looked in good order steaming past the house at about 2.5m. I was supporting the fella who comes over from Luxembourg every year for the race, so went round on the bike. Shouted at OO on the road between Craster and Boulmer but I think he was in some far-away zone at the time. Lux man came home in 1.59. That's 21 minutes faster than last year so a good result.   Excellent time from OO too, the wind was really swirling towards the end which is one of the hazards of running along coast and beach.

Other than that, cycling as much as poss, seeing the leg doctor on Weds, still nowhere near running but walking better.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a solid 10k time to me DT, nice work - and a solid parkrun from you too OO

Jools, 
    well done on the 19:49, solid considering you are coming back - I was at the 5000 races last night too - shame to miss meeting you.

Was pacing the 20minute race; probably more nervous about that than some of the marathons, only had to do 3k but worried about getting the pacing right. Did a couple of practice laps and thought I had the 96s / lap dialled but in the race logged a 84 second first lap which was obviously a massive error; managed to bring it back inline eventually and finish the 3000 just 8 seconds up - hope I didn't mess up the race for the guys trying to follow me too much! Maybe I won't be relied on to pace again...
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I was in the 19.00/19.30 race as when I tried to change races from the 18.15 race the 20.00 race was full (I'd originally hoped, before the lurgy and the further ankle injury, that I might be in 18.45 shape by now...)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    You were probably in the right race, I don't think anyone broke 20mins in my one (maybe due to that idiot pacer). A good night I thought - and that track surface is mint.

Very slow 13 miles in the midday heat today, think totalled around 30 for the week so getting some base back.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

Good work on the 5Ks nicko and Jools and good to see you getting back to the training nicko!

Good race support Poacher.  Hopefully, the leg doctor can patch you up.

A good result at the 10K DT even though you were looking for more.  To be able to hit the planned pace for the first three miles shows good speed and discipline.  Perhaps you need some specific training for that mid-race gear change.

Coming along nicely Leslie.  The HM should be a good test.

Another fast 5K OO.

Hope the 5K went well Stevie.

Sounds like you had a great time in Tuscany Gul.  Hopefully, the leg returns to normal soon, Definitely worth considering the sports massage or indulging in the foam roller if you are not already doing so.

Nothing quick here today, just the usual Sunday long run.  It had been quite a cool day until just before I set off for the run at 5pm.  The sun came out and it was beginning to feel a little warm.  Twenty miles for the day at an average 7:42 pace with a last mile of 6:37 just to keep the legs honest.  Didn't take any fluid with me and the scales showed I'd lost 3Kg during the run which probably explains why I felt drained at the end!

77 miles for the week so building the mileage nicely. 

Had been planning to run New York but the plan has now fallen through due to a few personal issues.  Have requested a place at Yorkshire (they seem to operate a GFA scheme, hopefully with no cut-off date) and am on the cancellation list for Abingdon.  Hopefully one of these will come through.  The only negative is that marathon day is now only 12 weeks away rather than 14!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not bad at all Jools
    Only  saw you the first time Poacher & congrats to your Pal. Great event as usual.
    I have an 800 metre track race tonight- the last in the masters series. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some good track running there, team. I've only paced a couple of TTs on a track night, nicko and that was bervy enough.

Back in the saddle, as it were, on Saturday with a 15 miler LSR on muddy trails. It was warm and I was slow, very slow.
    Did a 5 mile recovery session yesterday with a few strides thrown in. Being injured 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after the ultra has properly taken away my speed, massively so. Amazing how it can disappear so quickly. However, it's actually quite a motivator to try and get it back.

Some sort of fartlek session tonight, just to work on quicker leg turnover.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a big weekly mileage SBD, I'd say you are well on track for an autumn marathon. 
    That speed will surely come quickly SBD as you adapt the training.

Masters track last night. 2:22.9 for the 800m was a V55 PB. This also won me the V55 title for middle distance this season. Then 30.9 for the 200m on tired legs. This was the last meeting in the series- it will be a big miss.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Congrulations on the title OO! No idea what I would run for an 800m, far too short!

DT - As others have said that's a solid 10k, the lack of people to run with would have made a big difference. With that as a base marker there is big things to come at Telford, I'll see you there!

Nicko - Good work taking on the pacing, its a tough job! Our pacer was off as well so I wouldn't worry about it!

Good to see you back to it G-Dawg.

Another great week SBD, hopefully the personal issues aren't anything too serious.

5k Track Challenge went really well. Felt really good in the warm up so was full of confidence stood on the line. Gun goes off and I settle in towards the back of the pack, pacer seems to have gone off a bit keen as I was probably 12th-14th and came through 400m at 1.24 which was bang on pace. Kept moving my way through the field as the laps went by ensuring I was still in touch with the pacer, first two ks came up in roughly 3.30 and 7.00 so bang on pace. Got to 3k in 10.31 and still feeling good so started to come round the next group of people, this was the point where I missed the break from the front 3 (I think the pacer pushed on a bit for them). Pushed as hard as I could for the last 4 laps but couldn't close the gap. Big sprint finish for 17.23.76, 4th place and a 20s PB!

Really happy with how I executed it and how comfortable I felt for most of the race. Will be more aggressive tactically next time so I'm closer to the front to go with the break. First time I've actually had a race on the track so really enjoyed that part of it. Can't wait to do another!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brilliant racing there, Stevie and a cracking time to boot! 

Saw your times on Strava, OO. Amzaing! You've had a superb summer of speed over the shorter distances. Brilliant work!

Popped out for 7 miles of fartleks last night. Given my lack of speed and recent time off, it was the right session to do. Sore hamstrings meant I had to keep things reined in a little and I did some good distance variation for each of the efforts. Came out at 7.18 pace average and bagged a sub-7 final mile which felt slower but really pleased me.

A long way to go before I'm back to full speed but I'm looking forward to working and monitoring on the progress. Coincidentally, the injury break shortened the campaign to 100 days, I like that.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You’re going good and well motivated GDawg- took me a while to work out it was you on Strava 😉
    Stevie that’s a massive result for your first track 5k. I’ve done a few now and can’t get near that. Keep it up, it will definitely boost your road times and make you pretty hot at the parkrun too 😳 You should try 800,1500 and definitely the 3000 too. I find 5k is a lot of laps and takes mighty concentration.