Tuesday 30th July 2019 There's just a few more hours.

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: There's just a few more hours.
That's all the time you've got.

Apologies: I may have used this song before!

So, the story of my back. On Saturday 20th July I was in a well-known supermarket when I was hit from behind by a woman pushing her trolley with one of those cars attached to the front with her grandchild in. I was knocked to the floor and struggled to get up. First aid consisted of a bottle of water and the suggestion that I get some fresh air. Over the next few days was in a fair bit of pain and yesterday  managed to see a consultant friend (one of the GB doctors) in Manchester. He sent me for a scan (in Wilmslow) and phoned yesterday evening with preliminary results. In short my sacrum (the part of the spine above the coccyx) has been fractured. He suggests 8 to 12 weeks to heal plus physio to strengthen the muscles around the spine. I can run but only gently and on the flat. Good job it is flat around here! Obviously I have some concerns about the incident but more concerned that this is the second fracture in around 18 months (last one was mid-back) and that these may be osteopenia related, which is the next thing to discuss when I get the full feedback. 

What: half an hour easy?

Why: see above. Also spoke with another former GB team/RW doctor who agreed with the above advice.

In other news, son's wedding is tomorrow. Don't think I'll be dancing much.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Looking For The Summer - Chris Rea.

Sorry to hear your news Alehouse. That does seem like a lot of damage from the mechanism of injury and not a great response from the store involved though it doesn't sound as though the accident were their fault. I hope that you can still enjoy your son's big day tomorrow. Thanks for the update on SC - I was only thinking about him and Benjy yesterday.

Happy belated if you're reading SC!

That is a big job OH.

What:           something slow
    Why:            I don't think my legs will do fast
    Last hard:    realising I probably need to retire my favourite trainers
    Last rest:     27/7
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Morning

Hope you had a nice outing with your friend with the birthday yesterday Wabo und she liked her pressie.

Are you due a decent break from the hot weather soon Chicksta?  Hmm - quick skinny dip in the lake in the middle of you run maybe (to prevent the wet shorts and sand in shoes).  Don't you run pretty early so there won't be too many people to watch?

Eyes are ok LMH - (short) test was necessary for getting a moped licence. Can you find a new pair of the same trainers somewhere?

Isn't your diabetic consultant a bit on the large side herself emzap?

Impressive flooding Ale.  What a stupid woman regarding your back.  She must have been very inattentive or quite simply too fast to knock you over like that.   Take care - at least you can still run (a bit at least).  Hope you can enjoy the wedding tomorrow even without the dancing.

Seems quite a demolition job OH.

What: group run with a bit added on this evening
    Why: Tuesday
    Last hard: avoiding an old lady on an e-bike who nearly provoked a head-on collision (try learning to cycle first dear..)
    Last rest: yesterday.

Lyrics: familiar.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Wow ale that's awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope there is no lasting damage. Also, that's pretty wet!

What: walking
    Why: keeping fit
    Last hard: sleeping, couldn't get comfortable
    Lyrics: don't think so

Have a lovely day all
  • I have several pairs of the same type Hazel but I've found not all are created quite equal if that makes any sense and despite not considering myself a very girlie girl I actually liked the bright pink pair. I shall bring my race pair into general use this morning and see if that makes things a little less niggly. Enjoy the social run this evening.

Sorry to hear you had a rough night emzap - not long to go now and you won't be getting any sleep at all for a few years.......... :) Enjoy the walk, it's turned into a lovely morning here though we have rain and thunderstorms forecast from midday.

I forgot - Lyrics - no.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Ale - that's impressive (?!) flooding. Sorry to hear about the back, hopefully the sage advice will keep you running. have fun tomorrow , you do know that ale is a well known painkiller that only enhances dance moves don't you...??? ;-)
    OH - good luck with the demolition work
    Emz - try to rest during the day if you can, as LmH says enjoy sleeping now while you still can....

What - club night (coaching) - think it's 2x2 miles
    why - on the rota and stretching the legs
    last rest - 2 weeks
    last hard - Saturday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    MORNING ALL
    alehouse that's rotten luck poor you!!! Hope the wedding is wonderful.  Dustin giving ale advice lol!!!
    Dustin enjoy the coaching
    emzap sorry to hear you are not sleeping well 
    hazel, enjoy the social run later, those e bikes can be dodgy!!
    lmh enjoy the slow

what: very slow mile
    why: I now feel sure I have a virus, head banging all night, daughter and girls have had it as well
    last hard: this morning awfully so!!
    last rest: 31/12/16

Have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mileage for July, my highest  July since I recorded on Fetch and most likely ever, 101 miles
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    alehouse, blimey that's some flood!!!
    Glad to h ear SC is still about
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

What: Very gentle 50 mins d&d

Why: nice day out there and no pain whilst running. Was good and stopped and walked a couple of ups and downs to avoid jarring. 

Have appointment on Monday 12th August to fully discuss scan and the way forward, probably mainly regarding possible osteoporosis prevention. 

Wabo: still one day of July left to up that mileage. Doubt you will have a rest day!

Thanks for the advice, Dustin! What is your eldest up to now she has finished uni? And what is youngest planning?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,

Alehouse : What awful bad luck on back!! Good luck tomorrow at Wedding .

SC Happy Birthday come on in and tell us all about things :)

What: 6.6 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last Hard: Sunday  and being so slow Tortoise legs today.
    Lyrics: Yes

Torrential rain but the first rain we have had in ages!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh alehouse of course there is!!! I have a 5k race planned + warm up could be 4 miles but tbh if I feel the same tomorrow morning I wont be doing it.  Glad you managed 50 mins.
    Poppy, good to get that run out of the way!
  • Sorry to hear you don't feel any better Wabo. A rest might help.

Not much fun in a wet run with slow legs Poppy but miles in the bank.

Do you have any races planned Dustin? I think I remember that you were aiming to do some more track meets this summer?

Glad you were able to run pain free Alehouse.

What a difference a pair of shoes makes - another LSR this morning much more comfortable and faster than yesterday's and back before the rain started.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Crikey, Ale. That's horrific. Shopping trolleys are so dangeours. A friend of mine suffered a ruptured achilles tendon as some old lady hit her with the wheels. Ouch! Hope it heals completely. And relatively good news that you're still allowed to run. Hope the big day goes well. And agree with others: Those flood pics were quite impressive.

Good to hear from SC via ale.

LMH: Wowzer, two LSRs in a row? That's some going.

Hazel: it's gradually cooling down here - only 27 today which is ok. With a little luck temps should stay around 20 this weekend. Now, that would be nice :)  Anything below 16 in the morning is fine for my running. Completely agree re. e-bikes. Problem is that it's mostly people who've not ridden a bike in 40 odd years who suddenly get one and then whizz around at breakneck speed …

Nice miles, wabo.

What: 6*800 with 90 sec recoveries
    Why: improving my VO2 max. apparently
    Last hard: that was - I'd forgotten how much it hurts to run fast (such a plodder, me … :) )
    Last rest: 15/7
    Lyrics: I think so

• Evening all!

Sorry to hear about your accident alehouse. I hope you recover quickly.

What: a bit of stretching
    Why: legs still complaining about the weekend
    Last hard: 22 miles over the weekend - eight one day and 14 the next. It felt OK at the time
    Lyrics: I don't seem to be very good at the lyrics - I think I just got lucky on my first day (Summer Nights)