2019 in 2019

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So, 210 days to go...and that means you need just over 7 miles a day, Big_G! Or 50 miles a week. Not impossible but you could always switch to targeting kms later in the year given the injury.

Progress, TT! I am around 30k ahead but am still behind! I need around 42k a week and actually managed 44 last week, so gradually clawing things back! Very gradually!

Currently have 1255 to go: in 1255 the Hundred Rolls was started, which was a survey to up date the Domesday Book from two centuries earlier. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, thanks for that.  I hadn't considered moving to the km target, so that's something to keep in mind.  I often do 50+ miles a week, but not consistently week in week out, so I think realistically the mile challenge is out now as I still don't think I'm going back to that kind of mileage anytime soon.  I do have a lapped marathon planned next week, but at best I'll be run/walking around that one.  My own little rule is that if it's on Strava it counts for this challenge, so if I do the event, regardless of how much I walk, it'll go onto here (if that's okay with you guys anyway!).  But I'll decide for sure if I'm doing the event nearer the time, depending on the shoulder.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi big G how are you? Any signs of improvement?

Thanks to an amazing physio and a coach who knows exactly when to push me and when to back off I have had an incredible week. 55 km so 1230 to go. Hopefully now back on track for the rest of the year.

1230 is Fox Sports Radio but is also the number of a big yellow crane.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    A bigger week for you, TT!
    Marginally higher here, also. 804 completed so 1215 to go, with 1215 being particularly notable for the agreement between the barons and King John, amongst others: The Magna Carta.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TT, there is improvement but it's very slow progress.  I'm DNSing the lapped event/marathon I had planned for this week as the shoulder is just not quite right still.  I was away on the weekend and I got a parkrun done, which was really good.  I'm hoping to do a couple of runs this week, although it's hammering it down with rain here today so my comeback will have to wait :)  

Last Wednesday I got a last minute appointment due to a cancellation and had a steroid injection.  He did say it would feel worse before it started feeling better, which it did, but it's feeling quite good today in comparison to over the weekend.  I was travelling over the weekend though which probably didn't help.

I have physio again today so I'll see what she says.  She's been really good, but everything that I've read about this injury suggests it takes time to get fully fit.  My last proper run was Rotterdam Marathon on 7th April, I did a recovery run on 8th, and really haven't done much since then.  It's getting better all the time though, but it's just slow going.  She did say 3-4 months, and it looks like it's going to be that I think.  I do quite a lot of events and the next tranche of events is starting in August, so I'm hoping to at least make the start line of those.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Big G I feel your pain. I was out for over six months two years ago and it was really tough. August looks like a good come back and it is not too far away now. 

I managed 63 km this week, drop down week next week!

Brings me in at 1177 which according to Eric Cline is the year civilization collapsed.
  • 952 miles done, 1067 to go

In 1067
    Emperor Constantine X dies in Constantinople

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    839kms completed, so 1180 to go.

1180 saw the start of the building of Wells cathedral. 

Backed off last week, of necessity: too many niggles! Falling behind again! Should be half way in a fortnight! 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I felt like I turned a bit of a corner last week, and managed about 15-miles of running.  Fitness has gone but it'll come back....hopefully!  Maybe I'll do a few more miles this week.  We'll see!

560 miles done, with 1459 to go.  Ballet was invented in 1459 for a royal wedding in Italy, with dances representing the dishes being served. 
  • 960 miles done, 1059 to go

In 960
    Dunstan receives the pallium as archbishop of Canterbury from Pope John XII. He enforces poverty, chastity and obedience for monks - sounds loads of fun!!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    878 km completed; 1141 to go. 

1141 saw anarchy in England with Empress Matilda initially deposing King Stephen before coming to an agreement whereby he was reinstated as king due to her own unpopularity.

I note that by next Monday we should be about half way!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I managed to get 38.5 miles in last week, including a local Half Marathon, which is a big improvement over recent weeks!  Miles off where I need to be for this challenge, but I'll keep plugging away.

I've done 599 miles, so 1420 to go.  Construction of the dome of Florence Cathedral is started in 1420, after Filippo Brunelleschi wins the commission for his "double shell" design.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Well done BigG an really good week for you.

Mine was a drop down week so 45km with 1132 to go. Just ahead of you alehouse!

1132 is the form service families use to request accommodation. It is also the year Fountain's Abbey was founded.

1008.5 works out as half way ........
  • Slowing down with the heat, already 33 at 7am and will hit high 40s early afternoon.

986 miles done with 1033 to go, just ahead.

In 1033
    Panic spreads that the end of the universe is near, 1000 years after the crucifixion of Christ, as the book of Revelation predicted.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a reasonable week although the pace is slow to come back!

But I did 50 miles in the week for a total of 649 for the year, leaving me on 1370.

Gatehouse Prison was a prison in Westminster, built in 1370 as the gatehouse of Westminster Abbey.  One famous inmate was Sir Walter Raleigh, who was held here the night before he was beheaded in Old Palace Yard, Westminster on 29 October 1618.  These days the Crimean War Memorial stands on the site of the Gatehouse in front of Westminster Abbey

• Dubai runnerDubai runner ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    182 days gone, 183 to go.

For me 1016.87 miles done so 1002.13 to go. Ahead but only just.

In 1016
    Ethelred the Unready dies after ruling England for 38 years - that seems a long time for that age - his successor Edmund II also dies later that year.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see a couple of better weeks, Big_G!

And that you are still ahead, DR: harder for you at this time of year (in contrast it was 13 when I ran this morning in my winter gear!)!

So, around half way, and I am about 90k behind, so a little closer than 5 or 6 weeks ago. 

916k completed, so 1103 to go.

In 1103 King Magnus lll of Norway was killed in battle in Ulster; interestingly he was replaced by three men who became joint kings of Norway.
  • Ulster, my home province!

36 degrees for me at 7am this morning but better than the 44 degrees currently..
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I managed 60 miles last week, which I was really pleased with, although it did require running 6 days in a row.  Rest day today though.

That leaves me on 709 with 1310 to go.  

In 1310, shoes were made for both right and left feet.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good news, Big_G!

953k completed, so 1066k to go. Wonder what happened in 1066!
  • Good to hear you're on the comeback Big G! Not too many miles for me, the Middle Eastern summer is winning. Off to Thailand on Friday and will hopefully get some running in, though it will be very humid and my sons will once again be fascinated by the rain, they haven't seen any in months!!

1048 miles done, 971 to go and 8.15 behind schedule.

Oslo founded by King Harald 111 in 1048.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    50 miles again week, so happy to seemingly getting some consistency back.  I've a couple of races this week (a hilly 6-miler and a Half) so we'll see how the speed is - I fear it's not where I want it to be, but at least I'm enjoying the running!  One run this week was a long one along a stunning section of the Southwest Coast Path.

Anyway, 760 miles done with 1259 to go.  

In 1259, Henry III of England renounces claims to Normandy and other territories in France by signing the Treaty of Paris with French king Louis IX.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Big improvement BigG!

999k completed so 1020 to go. I'm about a fortnight behind where I need to be!

1020 is the time that I like to be done and dusted running-wise most days so that I can listen to ken Bruce and Popmaster.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    BigG good to see you back and what an amazing place to run. I am ill so running has taken a back seat. Been told I can start to increase running again so have a plan in mind. Whether I manage the challenge or not I do not know but it is always good to try. 

So managed 75km in the last four weeks!

Leaves me with 1057 which is the year Macbeth died. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TT, I very much doubt that I'll complete the challenge either as I need to do around 52 miles a week for the rest of the year which seems very unlikely!  I'll keep plugging away though.  Sorry to hear you been unwell, but it sounds like you've got a plan in place!

I had a good week, including a nice long run along a different section of the SWCP.  A tiring day out but very enjoyable.  I also did a local 5.5 mile race on Friday night and I was pleased with how I felt, and then ran quite well at Frome Half on Sunday.  Not the quickest, but it's good to feel that I'm on the come back trail.  So I did 54 miles for the week, leaving me with 1204 to go.

In 1204, King John lost Normandy along with Maine, Touraine, Anjou and Brittany to King of France, Phillipe Augustus.  However, Jersey and the Channel Islands stayed with England and the constitutional relationship with the UK began.
  • About 30 miles behind schedule as I'm just beach running in Phuket most mornings.

1101 miles done with 918 to go

In 1101
    Second wave of crusaders try to cross Anatolia to reach Jerusalem

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's not far behind at all, DR! Enjoy the holiday. 

979 to go here, so 1040k completed. 

In 1040 King Duncan l is killed in battle by his cousin and rival Macbeth, who becomes King of Scotland in his place. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A decent week for me in that I did a local 10k race on Thursday and did okay in comparison to last year.  A bit slower, but it was very humid so I was fine with it in the circumstances.  I also managed to get a late entry into a 21-mile trail event yesterday, along the Southwest Coast Path over to Minehead which helped with the weekly mileage of 61.  One of my many running goals is to complete the whole 630-miles of the South West Coast path (which will take me years!) so this was a good way of ticking off another section.

I've 1143 to go.  In 1143, the first European translation of the Qur'an, into Latin, was made.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I too did a 10km race, thanks to.my amazing OH I made it round, slowly but a few weeks ago I was not running at all so pleased.

Another 42km down, leaves me with 1015 which is the year King Cnut invaded Northumbria.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good progress being made!

942k completed, so 1077 to go. 

We always think we know when the Fire of London was, but there were actually many firs of London over the years, with much of London being destroyed in 1077.

My progress may be limited for a few weeks: I was recently knocked over in a supermarket and have fractured a lower part of my spine. I am allowed to run gently on the flat, but no more!