Snowdonia Marathon 2019

Comments

• There's also a facebook group called "race numbers buy and sell". Loads get put on there, although not until August/Early September generally. The closer it gets to the deadline the more spaces appear. You'll have no trouble getting one i'm sure.
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    Hope you get a place Jeremy, it's a fun thing to do 😊
    Asken 10k was about 8k more than my legs could manage! Backed off and came in at 47:29. It's not that many years ago I would have been chuffed to bits with that. I'm not unhappy, knew I wasn't at my best. Next race isn't till 1st June so 10 min miling for me for the next fortnight...
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I have a place in the bunkhouse in The Heights! At least it won't be far to stagger after the evening's post-race refreshments!!!
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    JC2 - train as if you had an entry. There will be LOADS around in late August/ September. There always is!
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here... Hope everyone's running well :smile:
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    started my 20 week plan, good so far! First few weeks are really gentle!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I Haven't done much running since London. Just a few steady jogs really. Did Trail marathon Wales on Saturday and hobbled round in just under 4 hours. Had to grit my teeth a little in the last half of the race due to lack of training etc.. Enjoyable race though. 

You've started early Wabo.. I've got a 2 week all inclusive to go on in mid July.. So I probably won't even start training until early August.. haha... 

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    tr, I know, I started for Brighton on a 16 week plan and abandoned it due to a problem with a stiff big toe.  I was getting too much pain and tingling on the longer runs.  I am now starting earlier to gently ease into it and try manage this blooming stiff toe, lol
  • JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭
    Hello. After some advice....have run three marathons but two of which road and mostly flat (not London flat but standard UK road type stuff) and one Avebury to Stonehenge XC. . 
    I have always trained using a basic marathon plan: a speed session, run and tempo during the week and then a 5/6 miler on a Saturday followed by a long Sunday run peaking at 22 miles. However for Snowdonia would you say it is better to go over 22 miles max or to just make sure the longer Sunday runs get more elevation in? I live on Salisbury Plain so can get some decent albeit off road hills in. 
  • Greetings from summery Minnesota. Finished my fastest in 6 years (but not fast) Grandma’s Marathon in Duluth yesterday. Must have been the extra 10 miles of training and watching Barkley Marathon videos.😀 It was my 20th run of this race.
    Hope all SNODers are enjoying their training. Time for my taper. See you in October.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    PT6- well done! Look forward to seeing you again this year! 
    Just a quiet heads up to anyone following an 18 week plan: kick off is tomorrow!!!
    I had been slowly increasing my miles but got sidelined this week by piriformis and sciatica issues! Grr! Managed a nice 13m walk today with no issues, so hopefully will be ok tomorrow! Besides, my plan (P&D) starts with a 5m recovery run  :wink:
  • Well done PT6 on your 6 year PB. Those Barkley films are something else especially the Ginger Runner one.

Hope the injury is behind you now JD2. I missed all last week with an ankle issue which was more frustrating as it was totally self inflicted. 

Hi Jiminey. Welcome aboard! In answer to your query I would say your normal plan will work and 22 miles as a max is absolutely fine. I don't see any need for going beyond that but certainly get a few hills into those long runs.

• JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

Well done PT6 on your 6 year PB. Those Barkley films are something else especially the Ginger Runner one.

Hope the injury is behind you now JD2. I missed all last week with an ankle issue which was more frustrating as it was totally self inflicted. 

Hi Jiminey. Welcome aboard! In answer to your query I would say your normal plan will work and 22 miles as a max is absolutely fine. I don't see any need for going beyond that but certainly get a few hills into those long runs.

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback. Common sense made me want to carry on my "normal" plan but I am also a bit worried as the connotations of running around the base of a mountain was making me question myself. 
  • You're welcome Jiminey. I honestly think if you are sensible with pacing Snowdonia really isn't too terrifying. The key is not to get carried away over the flat first two miles and then on the long downhill section from PYP youth hostel to Beddgelert. The second half starts with a long 2 mile drag which catches a lot of people out but after that is pretty flat until the big climb. As for that final hill pretty much everyone walks up it anyway but I find walking 50 steps jogging 50 steps really keeps you going.   
  • Just over 2 weeks to go until Lakeland 100!  Feeling nervous and excited.
  • How was The Lakeland 100 experience BR?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Yes, c'mon, BR.  Let's have your report ...

Sorry not to have been around much.  Work pressures and other stuff.  After struggling with a sore knee for a couple of years and now the other one has joined it, it does appear that I have some sort of osteoarthritis situation going on.

I've made the decision to pack up road running.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    But I don't count SNOD as a road run, so that's all right then!

Got a few off road events lined up, including my first duathlon since I'm going to be taking up the bike a bit more.

I'll be at SNOD 19 but I don't know how many laps I'm going to do this year.  At least two, anyway, with the race my second lap.  Any more than that will depend how I am after these other events I'm doing.  I'm also doing Abingdon marathon on 20 Oct (which will be my last road race), since it's my brother's 100th marathon and I'll be running with him.

For SNOD I'm going to be needing accommodation, since I haven't booked any yet, so if anyone hears of anything please let me know.  Cheers.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Just looked at the results.  Sorry, BR, it looks like things went a bit wrong for you.  Hope you're OK.
  • Hi all, unfortunately I cannot make the race this year, so I can transfer my ticket to first interested runner. I can send details of how to transfer through the system. (As a guide, it cost me 39.00 as non-affiliated runner, plus 2.06 fees, so 41.06 in total).
  • TR, Sorry to hear that the knee trouble has forced you to quit road running. Trail is far more civilised anyway! If any race is going to confirm you have made the right choice to turn your back on road then it is Abingdon - that awful loop round the trading estate - twice! Still at least you will know you never have to do it again.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

sorry to hear that Les but I am sure you will get a taker
    TR glad you can still do SNOD, trail is for sure better!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Oh my training is trundling along ok at the moment...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    How are people?  I'm trying to get back into my running after about 3 months off.

I'd better own up to the fact that I'm doing the Seriously Brutal Duathlon (full distance) this Saturday in Llanberis.  Three running laps around Llyn Padarn, four road laps around Snowdon on the bike, and then a quick nip up and down Snowdon to finish.  The bike will be a bit of an unknown tom me but if I can run round the SNOD course 4 times I'm sure I can bike round a slightly longer route 4 times??

I'll report back.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    blimey TR you do not do things by halves!
    My training is moving along ok really!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi all, TRex, l love that you’re approach to getting back in to running after a 3 month break, is to do a brutal duathlon. 
  • Got myself a new running top this weekend.....
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Love the shirt, The LG.  When and where did you get this honour?  Let's have some details ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Duathlon was epic, to say the least.  But still only the baby event compared to those doing full distance triathlons, doubles, and triples.

I felt considerably out of place at the race briefing surrounded by Ironman triathletes who looked frighteningly fit and with incredible bikes.

A report will follow ...
  • Look forward to the report TR. How far did you cover on foot?

The 100th was at my local 24hr race, The Joust. Thought I would do something a bit different for the 100th and being only down the road it made life easy for family and friends to pop along. It was quite an experience but strangely enjoyable. I surprised myself by clocking 101 miles and now find myself searching for more long stuff! What have I unleashed!!