Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• That sounds tough. I guess it was pretty warm eh? Well done. I'd have been all over those GF goodies.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, it was a 10:30 start which probably didn’t help matters - if it started a couple of hours earlier maybe it would have felt a bit fresher?  I personally found the temperature not too bad, but it was sticky/humid.  Shorts and vest stuck to me from quite early on.

Steve Way finished in about 1:35 so obviously he wasn’t racing it. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Tough day for both of you unfortunately,hope you both recover ok.
    Shades-I'm looking at more shoes and seen sportshoes have ladies guide iso for 40-50 depending on colours if you have space in you rotation.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good to see you too, and looking very slim and fit in your smart Malta shirt. :)

Well I didn't want you to have a bad race too but that has made me feel a lot better about my shocking run yesterday, I was 10 minutes slower then when I got to halfway in 2 of my marathons this year! :o 

As you've said it wasn't the heat, it was mostly overcast for the race and temperature wise I felt fine, it was just the humidity especially in the first few miles when we had no breeze at all.   After about 5 miles we started getting a little breeze but only briefly in a few places, nice but not enough to undo the damage.   Going up the long final  hill, the marshal that was standing halfway up the long stretch, said to me that if it was any consolation she was suffering in the heat too.  I told her that it was the coolest section we'd had so far as we were going up into a little breeze.   It was lovely and cool in the Avenue of Trees, I see it's an entrance to a manor house or something similar.
    But you did well to do 1:45, I sat with a couple of local runners after the race and they run it every year and just accept it's going to be hot and they just get round to enjoy it and not worry about time which is probably the right attitude.    I did tell you it's a hot race!   I too was looking for the drink stations they have 7 so more than the UKA advisory amount which I think is about 4.
    I think the Trotters would like the event and enjoy the sitting around on the grass afterwards etc and the reasonable cost.   

What did you think of the memento the microfibre towel?   The chocolate brownie was nice and chocolatey.

I've just seen the results and my time is 4 seconds slower than my watch so officially a PW :'( .  Never mind will have to go back next year and do better!   I see the sweepers were out for quite a while.

Cal - for GF their stuff is nice, company called Honeybuns, they've sponsored the event for years.   https://www.honeybuns.co.uk/  The flapjacks and brownies were individually wrapped but I guess you could have sneaked an extra one or two off the table ;) 

Ian5 said:

Shades-I'm looking at more shoes and seen sportshoes have ladies guide iso for 40-50 depending on colours if you have space in you rotation.
    Thanks Ian.   There is always room with me for more shoes, sadly not the budget this year.   I'm trying to be prudent, but they've got my size so I've pinned the page and see if the price might even go lower as the new shoes come out in a month or so.   The ISO's don't seem as popular as the previous Guides so there are good bargains, even though not in the nicest colours.    I have actually found some Guide 9's too in my size and have that page pinned too and checking daily to see if the price drops, they're £69 at the moment.  I do prefer the Guide 9 and 10 to the ISO's.

5 miles this morning, we've had quite a lot of rain overnight and very humid here and in the patches where it wasn't so humid I ran faster at the same HR so humidity is definitely not easy for me to deal with.   But it was nice and cool.

My email wasn't working when I got home yesterday and an hour later my internet stopped working too, my provider is usually so reliable.   We so rely on it now, I was checking every 10 minutes to see if it was working as I wanted to know how Big G got on yesterday.   When I got up this morning still not working so while I was running I was planning what to do, when to report it, how to pay my bills etc.  I have only a small allowance of mobile data so try and not use my phone for stuff like that.   Anyway when I got home from my run all working, so normal life is resumed.  :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, there were plenty of water stations - no issues there.  It's just in comparison to Torbay Half where I think I probably took a few swigs of water at maybe 3 stations, yesterday I just felt really thirsty and needed much more!  

It's funny what happens in a race.  In the early stages I was thinking "Right, if I keep this up and finish strong I may get 1:38, and if I do that I may go and see if I can do a 5k race to really see where I am with my speed".  Those thoughts didn't last long and were quickly replaced with "I don't care about my time - I just want this done!".  :)  When I crossed the line initially I was a bit disappointed, but on the drive home I just put it down to a bad day for me.

I have one more Half to try and get under 1:40 at Bridgwater Half at the start of September.  That's a flat race, and hopefully conditions will be better.  As I mentioned to you briefly yesterday, how I did 2x1:40s back to back only a few months ago, I have absolutely no idea.  It seems beyond me at the moment!  I just hope it all comes together for Berlin, but we'll have to see!

Shades, yes, I know what you mean about the reliance on broadband.  I'm watching with interest the proposals that the new PM has about Fibre broadband.  Obviously I'm not on the inside of that any more, but I can imagine some of the discussions that are ongoing inside some of those big broadband/infrastructure providers.  I did see there was an open letter setting out 4 things that need to change to have any chance of making his dream a reality.  Some of the really big companies sign up this organisation (BT, Virgin, Openreach, Google Vodafone, etc), so it's interesting reading about it from the outside, but I suppose as someone who has some knowledge of what may be happening on the inside.  
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49209013
    https://www.ispa.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Cross-Industry-Letter-to-PM.pdf

As for this week, it's the build up to my first marathon back - the first one for 4 months!  Not sure of the mileage that I'm going to do, but I do have a short, hilly trail race on Friday which is nearly 5 miles.  Apart from that, I won't do any other speed work and just try and enjoy the event on Sunday.  I have found out that they are encouraging fancy dress (I won't be doing that!), which isn't really my cup of tea for a race, but hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I went out and did 6-miles at an easy pace today.  A few seconds under 1hr for the run, and I did enjoy it out there this morning.  The shoulder was feeling a bit tender late last night so I did actually take some pain killers in the hope that it would help me sleep (for the first time in a long time) and the shoulder was okay again this morning so I felt a gentle run wouldn't do any harm.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I had similar thoughts during yesterday's race and once I got to the stage where I just wanted to finish in one piece is when I started to relax and enjoy it.

I was thinking this morning that I really should enter another half this year, to make up for yesterday's poor show.    I have no more races shorter than marathon planned at the moment.   But I think I'd be better just using the time for training, there are options for early September, Bridgwater/Chippenham/Truro but really I'd want something later in the year and can't find anything suitable.

Interesting about the broadband.  It'll be a slow process to achieve that, but for most of us we can carry on as we are for a while.

I expect you're really looking forward to your first marathon for such a long time.   The fancy dress might be interesting in an awful way, being the Rocky Horror marathon :o , I wouldn't dress up either.
  • Big G / Shades - Sounds like a tough day.
    Cal - Nice parkrun and long run.
    Cut back week for me, so 14 miles for me on Saturday, legs felt good. Then a recovery 3 miler on Sunday testing my new Nike pegasus 34's, which felt good, picked them up from the Nike outlet for £48, so planning on using those for my shorter runs I think. Finished the week on 45 miles.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I quite like my ISO's,but the guides were good also.I'll happily have either I find cheapest.
    Big G-4 months must seem like forever for you,quite short for us mortals though,saying that I'm on 5 this year,which is my joint highest with at least 2 more to go.
    10 miles before work today,felt ok,still a little slower than usual but sticky out again and effort is were it should be.

• Thanks for information I have a race on 22nd so will await your verdict on terrain:-) 
    Did you know they are changing route for the great Welsh it is to start and finish in Pembrey Country park. I have emailed about course and been assured it is tarmac but they avoided answering about parking fees.

I ran past old fishermen cottages narrow pavement and a transit van parked on them so I tried to run passed and tripped could not get shoe back on and knew I was in trouble. No phone and 4 miles to hobble in a lot of pain home but thought a sprain only a week later go to A+E and 10 weeks in a boot:-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Shades, I'm looking forward to going to work, just to be out the house and getting out and about will be amazing compared to these last 6 weeks.  Well done on the warm half, hope the cake didnt dry out.

Cal well done on another parkrun, im in envy of your tourism... i was planning on a bit myself before the fall.  Have you done pride 10k before? have a few pals who have done it and they do it most years.  Well organised, flat and fast.  

Ian hope she enjoyed the parkrun, they are a great thing to have if you enjoy them,  IS she planning on doing more?

Big G as you didn't mention your shoulder, hope you didn't experience any issues with it at the weekend?

Steve hope the shoes go well, always like a bargain.

Volunteered at Westmill parkrun at timekeeper, didn't muck it up which was a result! Re dressed my leg today and looking like its healing.  Got more mobility as no longer using bandage and just using sterile dressings.  Looks like I've got two tampax stuck to my knee

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - new shoes, lovely.   Will you race in these too?

Ian - I only have one pair of the Guide ISOs, I did go up half a size for these but I find them a bit clumpy so maybe I didn't need to.   When I buy another pair I'll drop back to my usual size.   I also have the Omni and the Hurricane top of my wish list too, but harder to get bargains for either of those models.

WP - so sorry, now you've mentioned the boot you had to wear I now remember your unfortunate injury last year.   You have recovered well.

Yes, I'll let you know about the terrain at Margam Park as they have quite a few events there.   I see they recently had a race on the Cardiff Taff Trail, so I'm hoping they might have another there as I believe that was all tarmac.

Yes, I saw from an email that the GW had a new race venue.  I suppose the course will be much the same, round the park and then onto the Millennium Coastal Path, you'll have to let us know.   Maybe they'll be able to cut out that bit that goes out past the apartments/houses and becomes a bit rough underfoot, always a strong headwind there too.

Robert - it will be so good for you to get back to work.   Your work colleagues won't know you as you've had a fair bit of time off this year with jury service too. ;)    Are you able to drive now?   Ha, ha at the tampax stuck to your leg :D 

6 miles today, a bit humid again.  Just as I was nearly home running past the small town park a bloody seagull swooped right down on me and actually brushed my shoulder with it's wing and squawked loudly at me.   They're very protective of their young at this time of year.   But I wear a baseball cap, started wearing one in the summer especially to protect myself from the seagulls a few years ago as I used to run past nesting gulls and found they never came too close and I felt safer wearing a cap.  I suppose it's protecting my eyes.
  • I haven't, Rob - always been meaning to. Not sure how well I'll run if I've done parkrun first but I did two parkruns on NYD and ran them both hard so...maybe?
    I am still aiming to do Westmill at some point - when do you think the best time to run it is, seasonaly speaking?

Welshpoppy - sorry to hear that, that must have been awful.

Nice morning for a run. I did a tempo sandwich - 2 miles warm-up, 3 miles at around LT pace and 2 miles cool-down. I found it tough to hit LT pace and it felt almost like a parkrun, effort-wise, when really it was what I did 10 miles at last Sunday. I know there's a lot of psychology involved but why am I breathing so much harder at the same pace during a training run than I am in an actual race?
    Achilles was grumpy during the first mile and then again during the last - when I'd finished and was walking back to my house I had to stop a couple of times to stretch it on the curb. Doesn't feel bad right now, though. I probably should have worn Zoom Flys for this run rather than the Epics.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I really hate seagulls for that reason!  There are some that nest at Brunel where Trotters do efforts up and down a straight section of road, and they're bast***s!!  I bloody hate them!  They nest high up and the runners/pedestrians are no where near them, but they still swoop down and make a right racket!

Robert, shoulder was a bit tender on the evening after the race, but I don't think it particularly slowed me down in the race.  I did have to take some ibuprofen that night, and last night too.  Shoulder is definitely not right.  It's going to be a bit of a test for me to see how it goes over the 26.2.  It's a flat course so there will be no pounding down hills, which I think will help for my first one back.  If I get around it relatively pain free, almost regardless of the time, I'll be happy.  I know it won't be quick, but not sure what pace to go out at.  It'll probably be 9s and if I have to slow a bit to keep any pain manageable so be it, but if after half way it's feeling okay I can always pick it up a bit if I'm able to.  Purposefully going out slower than that doesn't seem quite right for me, so I think it'll be 9s, and if I have to walk half of it because it's a bit painful I'm not bothered at all on this occasion.

Just been out for a 10-miler which was quite pleasant as part of it was with a gentle sea breeze and a very mild drizzle for a few minutes too.
  • Cal - I always find training to be harder than racing, I normally put it down to not eating before I train and having not tapered.
    Shades - No, I won't race in these ones, I'll just use for training. I was using my Asics Gel Nimbus for my shorter runs, but as the Nike's were cheap I decided to give them a go.
    Talking of shoes, ordered myself another pair of Zoom Fly, my current pair have now done 680 miles and are looking very worn on the soles!
    10 miles with 2 sets of 2*1200m and 1*800. Paces were 4:30/4:28 (1200) and 2:55 (800) then 4:27/4:34 (1200) and 2:59 (800), that's around 5k pace for those reps.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I guess it's the adrenaline in a race that makes the difference.    I know if doing a LT test, not in a lab, they tell you to run it on your own and also not in a race as the adrenaline from running with others distorts the results by altering the perception of how hard the run is.

Big G - I hate the seagulls too.  As usual we have a pair nesting across the road, they come here every year but never manage to raise any chicks, looks the same this year.   So at times they make a right racket but they don't swoop or attack as they've nothing to protect, so hopefully they'll realise that soon and bugger off.  I was running by Courtenay park this morning when I was swooped on.   
    I've seen blokes with nasty cuts on their heads from seagull attacks.  If you think a pair are going to nest on your house very quickly buy and put up a flag, apparently they don't like flags.

I'm just back from Pilates, I heard PB say he marshalled at the Totnes 10k on Sunday.   Might that stop Stur Half being a CC race as it's likely to clash with Totnes 10k next year?

Hope your shoulder eases off for the weekend's marathon and the driving.

Steve - that's decent mileage out of one pair of shoes, are the Zoom Fly your race shoe?

Pegasus shoes have had a strong following for years, the original Pegasus must be quite a long time ago, but I've heard good reports about the later models.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that's a good point about Totnes 10k.  Yes, if they clash, it won't be any good for the Club Champs.  Ladies 10k clashes with Barnstaple, and Temper 10 clashes with Cornish, which is a shame, although Ladies 10k may get moved back to its original weekend next year, but that's obviously up to the new RD.  When I'm trying to sort out the Club Champs, the first thing I do is put our own races in to make sure I avoid those days.

Good tip about flags!  We have two sections of flat roofs on the house, and I was worried about them nesting there but they haven't this year, thankfully!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I hope the Ladies 10km is moved back next year as I do enjoy that race and I may well put Barnstaple on my list every year.

I only found out about seagulls not liking flags when I had signed for an urgent delivery for one of my work colleagues and he explained that it was a rush to get the flag up before they laid any eggs.  It worked apparently and they moved on and never came back.   You'd need to check but I believe if the flag is a national or union flag you don't need permission, any other flags are considered advertising and might require planning permission.
  • Shades - I "raced" parkrun in them, but would normally use the Vaporfly's for races.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Think we all know the feeling of differences in pace with training and races.
    Rob-Don't think she'll be doing parkrun too often,bit like myself she doesn't like the shorter stuff but may do 1 every 6 weeks or so to monitor pace.
    No running yet,but hoping to later,been to Go Ape this morning so fun climbing trees and zip wires.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Managed a nice 12 mile run this afternoon,2 loops of my horrible hill included so I put some effort in up the hills,other than that all easy.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice run there Ian!

Steve, your training seems to be going well too.

I got up and was ready to run, but just realised I didn't fancy it this morning, so presuming I don't get a second wind a bit later on, I'll be taking a rest day.  Usually I feel that a short run may end up giving me a bit of a spring in my step, whereas today I felt I'd feel worse for it, so I knocked it on the head.  That doesn't happen very often, but I've ran 5 days in a row so it's probably no bad thing to take a rest day.
  • Well done Ian. And well done listening to your body, Big G.

8 mile recovery run this morning. Absolutely gorgeous out - sunny but breezy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a good day's training, Go Ape and a 12 mile run too.

Big G - you've got a marathon on Sunday so a rest day will probably do you good.

Cal - fresher here too, so much nicer.

Circuits for me this morning, another good class and a good way to start the day.   Then food shop to cool down :)
  • Big G - The rest day will do you good after 5 days training.
    Ian - Nice days training there.
    Cal - It's so much nicer to run at the moment with the cooler weather!
    11 easy miles this morning, ran to feel, so nice to find out afterwards that HR was 124, compared to HADD HR target of 125!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - that must have been sweet getting your HR on target :) 

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Some talk of running in fancy dress a few days ago which was a coincidence as running club had a cops and robbers themed run last night which I thoroughly enjoyed. Travelled down to Devon today and hoping to get in 20 mile run along the Tarka trail possibly tomorrow. Slight niggle in back of left leg so will play it by ear.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Thats a great HR for your easy pace.
    Just a quick 4 miles after work as we're out for son's birthday tonight.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Honk - re your club's fancy dress run, that must make an interesting sight for passers by ;) 

Enjoy your run along the Barnstaple marathon route, hope the niggle is nothing serious.

No run or Pilates for me today.   Yesterday morning I accidentally kicked the leg of the coffee table, wasn't wearing any shoes and it hurt so much I couldn't even swear, so painful.   Anyway I looked at my toes later and all fine not even a mark but this morning my 2nd smallest toe is a bit red and swollen, it's not broken but hurts a bit to flex my foot and when I put a trainer on it just catches the top of the toe where the bruising is.   I'm sure a day's rest will sort it out.   Self inflicted injuries, so annoying :#
  • Oh ouch, Shades. Many years ago, I remember catching the underside of a heavy wooden chair with my toes when I was practising my kicks in the living room (I used to do Thai boxing) and holy hell it hurt. There's something awful about the second or two it takes for the pain to travel up to your brain where you think "oh god this is going to hurt..." and then it does, a lot.

10 miles today. It felt rather hard to start with so I wasn't sure I'd do the whole run but it picked up a bit after the first three miles. There's definitely some fatigue in the legs - hopefully tomorrow's rest day will sort them out in time for Saturday.

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Ouch, on kicking the table,
     Change of plan meant I didn't get to do my 20 miles this morning but did a short run with no sign of any niggle. Should be able to do tomorrow or Saturday.
    Cops and robbers did get some amused looks from passers by