Friday 9th August 2019 Oh where have you been, my blue eyed son?

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Training
Morning!

Lyrics: Oh where have you been, my blue eyed son?

Up early, repeatedly woken by hard rain. Prospects for this evening's cricket are not good!

What: short and easy run, perhaps fitness suite

Why: I raced yesterday so being cautious. Legs are telling me that I didn't run hard enough. Think stomach and breathing were the limiting factors. 

Did I say it is raining hard? Further flood warnings. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

A good result last night and over the series Alehouse - a shame there are no prizes.

Glad you're just busy OH, hope your chest is less painful soon. Enjoy the hike and Shetland.

Wet here too though we're forecast a dry spell after 0800hrs - hope they're right as I'd like to get some miles in before I'm stuck at hospital with MiL this afternoon - her instructions are 'arrive at 1400hrs and expect to be here for several hours' <<sigh>>

What:          easy miles
    Why:           legs won't do anything else
    Last hard:   this afternoon will probably be a test of endurance
    Last rest:    27/7

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Ale - great result, I too am surprised there was no series prize!
    OH - thanks for checking in, sounds like a good few days lined up
    LmH - Let's hope that this afternoon doesn't turn into this evening....
    Chick - re retirement. It depends if you ask me or Mrs D!! Technically I can take a pension from a previous employer's policy at 55 (Sep 2021), although the benefits are much greater if I hold it to 60. 
    Although I wouldn't stop working, I could probably work locally, 3 or 4 days a week. Work/ Life and all that. 

What - easy lunchtime run
    Why - Miles make Smiles
    last rest - 24 days 
    last hard - Last weekend
    lyric - not sure

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: something gentle
    Why: woke up at 8:50! Feeling very out of it. Normally I'm up before 7 so don't know what's going on. Luckily decorator doesn't arrive until 9!
    Last hard: getting going this nothing
    Lyrics: of course (ale I can tell when you set them before I open the post!)

Oh glad you're ok, just busy
    Lmh good luck this afternoon. I empathise with being stuck in the hospital for hours, it's horrible.
    Ale well done last night. Hope you don't need to get a boat out!
    Dustin, that's pretty soon.
    Chick how's your back?
    WP how's your cold?

Have a lovely weekend all

• Morning

Good to hear from OH.  Have a nice time on Shetland. 

Plogging was in the news here today Wabo.   I hate seeing all the rubbish lying around but other than in the mountains haven't cleaned up after others like that (yet).

Seems you already have some plans regarding retirement then Dustin.  I am hoping the legal age won't rise to 70 or more for me... Agree that training for hill races is more fun than for marathons!

Seems you enjoyed the LSR yesterday LMH.  This afternoon certainly sounds less enjoyable (take a good book?)

WP A race isn't until the end of October but I do enjoy doing some hard training at the moment. 

Bugger to the 30 degree trail race Chicksta.   Well done on getting that LT monster done.  What did the osteo say?

Well done on your race Ale - shame no podium and prize, in particular for the series.  Hope the back is ok today.

Seems you needed the sleep emzap.  Lucky the decorator didn't get you out of bed.

What: rest day (2 a week at the moment)
    Why: plan
    Last rest: today
    Last hard: first couple of miles of yesterday evening's run as it was around 27 degrees when I set off and I needed time to adjust to the heat

Lyrics: vaguely familiar
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Great brains think alike, Emz! You obviously needed the sleep. I could do with some, also!

What: gentle and pleasant run, although there was a little paddling

Why: the rain had stopped, the sun was out, and so bright reflecting off the puddles that I wore shades, unusually. 

Now the skies are darkening, and just been talking to a roofer friend who has packed up work for the day. He doesn't think there is much chance of cricket either. Mind you,  it is the start of the Premier League today.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It was drizzly for the start of my run Alehouse then wet, then dry and humid then blowy then really quite warm - mad weather - currently warm, sunny and dry and the wind has dropped. Talking of prizes mine arrived from VLM today!

I have indeed packed a book Hazel along with water and snacks:-) 

Glad you were up in time for the decorator emzap, difficult to get your day going if you're roused by a knock on the door and playing catch up. Rest up and make the most of not working at the moment.

Moving to something part time and local sounds good Dustin - you'd fit those 100 miles a week in then no bother!

My legs felt much better than I had any right to expect them too after yesterdays run and I managed a comfortable if not quick MLR, very happy with that.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    how strange I thought I had posted!!
    Afternoon all
    lyrics yes
    LMH all seasons in one run! What prize?
    Alehouse, I am pretty excited for the start of PL!  Glad you had a pleasant run
    have a nice rest day Hazel!
    Emzap you must have needed that sleep!
    Dustin enjoy the easy lunchtime run, aah retirement how I would like to at least cut down my days!!
    LMH hope the afternoon isn't too long!

What: Only a  mile
    why: due to so much physical work up and down stairs and carrying archive boxes my legs are sore!!
    last hard: that was
    last rest: 31/12/16

Yoga was lovely last night but very hard at the same time! Again due to all that physical stuff. Was going to do my 10 miler tomorrow but probably will put off till Sunday and park run instead.
    Have a great weekend all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I'm still exhausted! Contemplating a nap... decorator finished so get a week with no workmen now. 

Meant to be walking now but it's tipping it down!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    nice running last night alehouse
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

It turned out quite nice here, and ended up doing some gardening in my daughter's garden; now tipping it down! Hopefully it will pass through by around 6 so cricket can go ahead at 7. Probably wishful thinking.

Yes, reasonably pleased with last night, all things considered, and at the start of the series would definitely have taken that. 

It would be nice to be at the stage where it is ten miles...including a parkrun, Wabo! I might manage 10k including a slow pr tomorrow. Or not. 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    MMM Alehouse well I wanted to make the park run be part of the 10 but I am not sure legs will like it so I will split the runs over two days.. see what happens!
  • emzap - I don't think there should be any 'meant to be' about your exercise at the minute, if you're tired and you need to rest then that's what you should do!

Thanks Wabo - it was only two and a half hours in the end. How long until your marathon?

We had some very heavy showers go through Alehouse - dry now though so hope you get your cricket.

MiL was given the all clear so one less thing to worry about fortunately. The NHS has been great, three weeks from identifying an issue to completing the tests and establishing that there's no serious cause.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good news MIL-wise, LMH. 
    Sent from old Trafford pavilion, gazing at torrential rain along with 20 thousand others. May get the boat home shortly. Or tram to the alehouse.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Just checking in quickly - arrived pretty late due to horrendous traffic. It's friggin' hot here ... will catch up properly tomorrow,  if I survive. The first hill may well finish me off already :D

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Smart people take the lift ...

Btw, yesterday's lyrics were Faithless, God is a DJ.

Oh, and thanks for all your concerns re. back. Some severe prodding and yanking took place yesterday so things feel much better. The long drive was probably not the smartest thing but can't be helped now.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    love the pic Chicksta

Ale, well done, as other said shame no prizes

Rest day here, parkrun 481 tomorrow (and footy at the cottage) then Burnham Beeches 10k on Sunday 

A bit of a falling out with club committee last night over trg, which has seen my temporary resignation which I expect will be longer term (on my terms), the joys of club politics....

Take care all and have a great weekend