Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I used to love seeing the balloons when I lived near Milton Keynes Jools- one came within 30 feet of my roof one day 🤨

Thats exactly why I started swimming Gul and can’t recommend it highly enough. My mileage will actually fall this year but swimming will take up the slack.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gul - Our auditors have also asked for around 3 time more information then ever before which hasn't helped! No need to join a club for track, most of the Open meetings are available for everyone. I'm sure there would be something near you.

Sounds like a lovely run this morning Jools. Good to see the mileage increasing as well!

I am also topping up my mileage with swimming, definitely seems to be making a difference. 6m easy last night came out at a really low HR for 8.02 pace. Was surprised at that after Tuesdays 17m. Just a swim tonight
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Stevie, I also did fragmented tempo/subLT run last night. I do HR training (HADD) and have felt my 10M efforts at subLT were getting stale. So in some pretty nasty heat/humidity, did 2M w/u, then 4 at 6:40 m/m, jog, 3 at 6:50 m/m, jog, then 2 at 6:45 m/m, followed by 2 c/d miles. The key wasn't so much the times but rather the HR. I wanted to get up in the 160-165 bpm range and managed to hit it for each leg so mission accomplished. Hopefully over the next few weeks I can string those bits together for a more comfortable 10M stretch at constant HR with pace staying constant (and having some left in the tank at the end). But paces were faster than normal to the point where I have a decent amount of DOMS going on today. Plan is for 10M easy tonight.

Gul, nice to see you back out there again. 

Lorenzo, that is some steamy weather. But sounds like an epic adventure!

And no shakes for me please. One of the main reasons I run is for the eating privileges it affords me;-)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Stevie I've not actually done Belfast yet as there was always a local mara the month after but its on my bucket list too 
    GUl great you have a gfa and are starting the comeback so you can make use of it, it must be about 2 years since I last did a bigger month that you .

VTR 9m at 6:50 or better you are flying.
    JOOlS sound amazing on your run.
    SBD first 10m are always the hardest  but a very decent run on tired legs.
    Lorenzo enjoy your latest holiday sounds like you are having a great time despite zero running.
    My one and only GFA was the start of a rapid decline in my running fortunes ,it took everything I had to get it then too broken to use it .....

Interesting  the various reasons for meal replacements though the huel from Speedy's description doesn't sound worth the bother and 1hr for breakfast lol I have it down to about 3 mins these days before dayshift !

Up after 3 nightshifts in a row with one tonight so an excellent time for a race though had to have a chat with myself to get to the start ...

Jog in the bog 5k:

21:01 was the time with 6:44, 7:04 ,6:37 and 6:40 for the last bit.Mile 2 has a bit of a hill so slowed me down a bit and saw a teammate on the last mile  a bit ahead so put some effort in to get past and hold it to the line. Nice night for it and dry and 18c .

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - just doing internal audits at the moment and making sure we can prove we've covered all the points raised by the previous external audits (we're audited on 3 ISO standards).
    VTr - that sounds like pretty good going in humid conditions.
    Leslie - solid 5k effort. Like the race title; reminds me of a fairly local one called the Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog.
    First morning ever at the gym for me today; just swimming though :) It was fairly hard going even though I just kept it very easy. 30 mins with just a couple of 15 second breaks. Felt like the equivalent of a 2 hour run!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul you could try a pull buoy- it's a float that goes between your legs to give buoyancy and improved position in the water- ideal for us heavy legged runners.
    You can get them on line for under a tenner.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Or, Gul, buy a wetsuit and jump in a lake to enjoy extra buoyancy and uninterrupted swimming.
    I'm only two sessions in and totally converted. Definitely up for a triathlon.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I need to get a pullbuoy, and a wetsuit! Posted my fastest ever 1k swim in the pool last night so definitely making progress.

G-Dawg - I'm definitely doing a triathlon next year. My rough plan is London mara, summer of 5/10k track racing then ride London and a September tri. Possibly a half iron man! 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a solid plan for next year, Stevie. I may copy you.
    After what OO said about pullbuoys a while back, I saw some cheap ones in Decathlon, nearly bought one, still might if I do more pool training. Olympic Tri and half Ironman distances are very tempting. Not sure I'll do Ride London again as it's quite dangerous. Great experience though and worth doing. Then, get the swim Serpentine done and collect the London Classics medal.

I love a medal, me!!  B)
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I haven’t been near the forum for months so thought I’d let you all know I’m back running (slowly). I’ve had a hard time after my back and hip injuries which has taken its toll mentally. I’ll not go into too much detail on the forum but I’ve been off work and I’m being treated for depression and anxiety. Going from running 10 miles average a day, to no running, really hit me hard.

I’m back at work now and on the road to recovery. I’m off on holidays next week to Spain which will help too.

My fitness has totally gone and it’s almost like starting running from scratch again. I’ve been running my local Parkruns in around 21 minutes, so pretty much 1 min/mile slower than at peak. I haven’t managed a single mile yet anywhere near my Berlin Marathon 6:24 m/m pace!

It is good to finally be running without pain again. I was stupid and tried to come back far too early and only made things worse. The Doctor has advised I don’t run the way I used too, so I’m keeping to lower mileage now. I’m still determined to reach 100 marathons/ultras though. I’ll run when I can, walk when I must and crawl if I have to!

I ran a marathon a couple of weeks ago and it was a hard slog. I had to pick up the pace at the end to finish in 3:47, which is exactly an hour slower than my PB at Berlin. How the mighty have fallen. Next up for me will be a 50k on Sunday which will be my 84th mara/ultra.

I’m off to read back a bit. It’s great to see all the familiar names posting. :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Badbark when you read back you'll see many posts asking about you and for an update- you are legend on the thread and it's great to hear you a safe and back to running without pain. As you say, don't push too hard too soon. And enjoy the holidays.

You might also be surprised to see the marathon thread has become a swimming thread while you were away😆
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Badbark: lovely to hear from you and glad to hear you have been getting help with the injuries and mental health difficulties. Exercise is insurance against - at the least - low mood for a good number of us.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Badbark great to hear from you at last ,glad you have turned a corner and are making a sensible comeback and 21 mins for a 5k isn't too bad as it's all I can manage these days lol  Fitness only appears to have left it will come back very quickly again once you get some miles in and all the best with your recovery.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the 5k, Leslie.

Badbark, great to hear from you. I'm loving the resolution to keep to lower mileage then the update on a recent marathon and a pending 50k!!

Lorenzo, enjoy China. I was reading an article in May's runnersworld about the recent explosion in mass participation running events there.

Should be a fair crowd at Chandos in April all being well. My applic is in. Like gdawg I am anticipating that my 7 plus minutes is enough. If it isn't it means the open cat will have been reduced to 2.52, which when you factor in that champs is 2,45, there aren't that many runners running between those times.

Reasonable few days for me with an easy 10k Tuesday, then 2 x 3m tempo on Wednesday with 2 min easy between blocks. Plan was mp for first 3 then pick it up 2nd 3. Came in 6.41, 6.42 and 6.48. Then the next set were 6.32, 6.39 and 6.32. Did some bodypump then in the evening. I was off with the kids yesterday so started the day with circuits and then ended it with a 5m recovery run. Then today was 20 x 70s off 1m at 5k effort. Problem with this sort of session is that it takes my gps 25s to work out what is going on so I don't think my recorded splits are a fair reflection.

Struggling at present to be that interested in doing anything hard knowing i'm away for over 2 weeks soon. I am however going to make the trip to Walsall parkrun next Saturday as it's generally regarded as the fastest in the west mids, hence today's session.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    11m easy this afternoon 9:58 average and a bit of a struggle to keep going for the last few miles after last nights efforts.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Leslie, nice going in the 5K. The end part where you caught and held off the teammate is what made the report for me. Good fortitude finishing today’s 11M

Wow Gul, you make the swimming workout sound downright awesome from a cardiovascular standpoint. I’ve never tried to actually swim as a workout. Might have to give it a go.

Badbark, you’ve had a rough go lately. Sorry to hear it. But glad to hear you are running again. You were originally told no more running at all, so I’d say 21 minute parkruns are a huge blessing! Agree with Leslie, it will all come back. And when it starts to happen, you’ll have lots of fun. But as your voice of reason, listen to your body and don’t go full Madbark right away. Badbark mode is plentyJ

DT good luck on the upcoming parkrun (and on the motivation for the quality stuff).

Got my 10M (easy effort) done last night in humid weather. DOMS had me thinking I was making a mistake at the outset, but turned out OK. Weird though that my right quad was much worse than my left quad (something tells me this means unbalanced effort between the legs; my right leg muscles are actually bigger than the left if someone looks closely…my PT commented on that way back and since 2011 I have to work hard to keep my left hip in neutral and get even tread). Humidity broke today so will go out for a shorter easy run in the sun soon.

• So good to hear you're back running Badbark!

No swimming here. I don't do swimming.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I warmed up with an easy parkrun today in In 21:47. My track 5k was late afternoon and the start coincided with heavy rain, but only a slight breeze. I managed 18:00.1 official time. Very annoying to miss sub 18 but a good effort in the circumstances.
    With an easy 14 tomorrow, should land in the mid-40's for the week.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Badbark, sorry to hear you've been struggling but looks like you are on the recovery trail and pain free running is brilliant!

VT - Sounds like it's humid on both sides of the Atlantic!

Good effort OO, it was definitely more then breezy down here!

Good session on Friday of 10 x 3min HMP 1 min easy. All the HMP sections came out around 5.58-6.04 pace so really happy with that. Felt smooth throughout. 5m recovery yesterday morning and 11 to do today to get me to 55 for the week which I think will be my 2nd highest ever. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    VTR I have the same issue in that my left quad was way bigger than my right quad the difference was so much the consultant before my knee op could see it through my jeans ! Years of running though knee pain leaning to the good side and one leg doing about 80% of the work ,it's a bit better now but will never be right but we can only work with what we have .

0054 so close but still a great time.

Stevie a mere 55m highest week ever and running 2:45 mara's just doesn't compute ! I guess some people just have it , not jealous at all .......... and great session.

Did a speed session myself up the dual carriageway  with 7 x 800m reps on a nice flat bit with about 100 sec recoveries :
    Reps were:
    6:51, 6:44, 6:42, 6:22, 6:36, 6:23 and 6:39 to finish didn't bother watching the gamin just went as hard as I could muster each rep , legs were jelly at the end and 7.5 miles in total and 44m for the week which is probably my highest this year lol 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I haven't ran 2.45 yet Leslie!  :D that's a great session,  good to have jelly legs sometimes!

11 easy this afternoon, felt really good almost effortless! 7.36 avg for 135BPM. Nice confidence boost before my first ever 60m week next week. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    9 miles this morning to make 45 miles for the week (plus about 16 miles walked yesterday!).  A couple more weeks until the mileage hopefully creeps back over 50 :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You're building the mileage up nicely Jools - have you got a marathon planned before the end of the year?

That a confidence building easy run Stevie after the quick reps on Friday.  Building nicely for Berlin.

Tasty speed session and great mileage for the week Leslie.

That must have been very annoying OO but still a very good time.

Good work on the 10 miler VT.  How long before your marathon and what are the race day conditions likely to be?

A good few days training DT.

Really pleased to hear you're back running Badbark -  having run a marathon already sounds like amazing progress no matter what the time.  Are the injuries fully healed?

22 miles for me late afternoon.  It was a bit more humid than I was expecting but the wind had died down and the rain held off.   A bit sluggish for the fist half but managed to pick the pace up after halfway and finish reasonably strong with a 6:40 final mile, giving an average pace for the run of 7:41.  Could really have done with taking some fluid on board during the run (3Kg of fluid loss) so will need to make suitable arrangements on the next one!  Brings me up to 82 miles for the week, so week one of the four big ones safely completed, just another three to go!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey SBD you are cranking them out. I was spent on today's LSR. Crawled home after 12 so 43 miles for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, I've done Kenilworth a few times. Great event and you get a decent long sleeve tech top. It used to be pretty hilly but know the route is slightly different now but I'd be surprised if they found a nice undulating route there. Im guessing you'll be targetting sub 80?

SBD, great mileage and solid long run. 

Oo, bad luck on the 18 dead. I'd take that though as itd be a pd. 

Good reps, Leslie.

VT, ive noticed recently that my left quad is sorer after a session than my right. 

Good to see you get some consistency, Jools. 

I had a wedding yesterday so was drinking from 2pm. I left my 14 until 5pm and whilst cool, it was noticably humid as sbd reported. Nothing noteable really, 8.14mm for a gentle trot. I bought a starter pack of revvies last week. Took 2 before i went out. Hard to say the impact but i seemed to cruise through the run more so than other long ones of late, despite yesterdays drinking. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - great to hear from you again. So pleased you've been able to start running again. You are made of strong stuff. Take care of yourself. 
    DT - great tempo session and nice MLR.
    VTr - my left calf is considerably smaller than my right following nerve damage according to a physio.
    OO - oooh, so close to sub 18; great effort.
    Stevie - very tidy HMP.
    Leslie - good jelly leg session :)
    Jools - progressing well.
    SBD - excellent long run and weekly miles.
    8 miles this morning inc last 5 or 6 around MP (7:2x). Swim planned for tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, ive seen 2 people in last few days looking to transfer out Abingdon numbers in the sub 3 facebook group. One is untaken. Worth keeping eye in there if you can. 

Nice work, Gul. Youll be back to high mileage in no time im sure. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up DT - I generally try to avoid facebook but is that the "Sub 3 Marathon" closed group?  I'll take a look.

That sounds a lot slower than MP Gul!

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well, lots of mismatched legs around these parts;-)

My right hip not too happy the past 2 days. Was hoping for a LR with a good dose of MP this weekend, but settle for a pair of shorter easy runs. The front of hip kind of locked up (almost the hip flexor/TFL area). This area has been just a tinge off here and there the last month. Will see what the PT can do today (hoping for a good dose of a clear and easy fix).
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - not a lot slower than my MP!
    VTr - sorry to hear about your hip; hope it clears up easily enough.
    Another swim this morning. Remembered to check the spec of my watch and it was okay to wear in the water. A bit pointless really though. Somehow it logged 1.24 miles in 31 mins - can't be via GPS in an indoor pool? And my average bpm was reported to be 59! Useful just for logging that I did a session though and it did seem slightly easier (didn't take any rests). Also received an email to say that my VLM GFA application has been validated okay.