Wednesday, 14th August 2019 - I focus on the pain

Good morning, all

Lyrics: I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real 

LMH's and OH's posts sound hopeful,  RFJ.

What: MLR
Why: I've been rather lazy since Saturday
Last hard: RFJ's post
Last rest: Sunday

Comments

• Lyrics: Yes (but which version?)

What: Also MLR
    Why: Why not?
    Last hard: Saturday - parkrun followed by a 10K
    Last rest: Monday
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - An End Has A Start - Editors.

I think you've probably been recovering chicksta! How is your back?

Cold, wet and dark here this morning, I feel as though we're just about back in to winter running without having had a summer  :(

What:           might be testing new waterproof jacket/maybe gym
    Why:            it appears to be winter/woman of a certain age
    Last hard:    getting the miles in when the weather's pants
    Last rest:     27/7

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no. Cal, I tend to reveal the original and then also say the best known or my favourite version. 

Enjoy the MLRs, those involved: probably already d&d in two cases!

What: around half an hour of easy running

Why: ran hard yesterday

Likely to get wet here, also. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

I just read back and my thought's are with RFJ may you be able to run 10k's for a very long time to come.

What: 4 miles
    Why: Because I can and no better reason
    Last Hard: RFJ
    Lyrics: Yes

Torrential Welsh rain today but I was happy to be out running.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Saw RFJ's diagnosis yesterday and it's a real kick in the danglies.
    That said you have a tremendous amount of support and are strong willed enough to fight the battles to come. Sure the running may reduce in distance but it will certainly help both physically and mentally.
    We're with you for the ride!

What - light running
    Why - 6x800s on a hilly loop last night has left my legs felling like wood
    last rest - 22 days
    last hard - yesterday
    lyric - hmmm possibly

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Positive thoughts, RFJ! "Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead." And "If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right."

What: Phil's course

Why: off road course near me that I always refer to as Phil's course as I once did it with my friend Phil who I hope to see running next time I go to LFoM. 5.31k, and a bit of a tired run after yesterday's exertions, which was to be expected. Only a slight drizzle in the air.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    MORNING ALL
    Cal welcome
    Wp those are the best runs eh!
    alehouse enjoy the easy in the rain!!
    LMH enjoy the gym or the jacket!!
    chick enjoy your short and easy
    I must read back

what: run to 5k race, do it and run back (most likely soaked)
    why: good advice
    last hard: yesterday, though it all went a bit wrong!
    last rest: 31/12/16

I was supposed to do 5 miles, I mislaid watch, bumped into daughter and kiddies, didn't have the heart to run on so I popped up theirs and after a bit ran back home.  Don't like running with strava anyway.  It was more complicated that is the simple version lol!

Have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    oh my goodness RFJ, what to say.  What a shock for you.  I do feel for you. Give yourself time to get your head around this I guess and you will do what is best for you . xxx
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Race well tonight, Wabo...long way round to get there, short way back! 
  • Morning.

RFJ: I'm also very sorry to read your news.  

Have a good race this evening Wabo. Put yesterday's run in the done it and forget about it box.

What: GA miles with 2 sets of strides
    Why: getting back to the plan after an off-plan day yesterday (doesn't matter)
    Last hard: reading RFJ's news
    Last rest: 12.08.

Lyrics: No
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Hope you're feeling a bit less shocked this morning rfj. As Dustin said we are all here to support you.

What: well I was going to be walking but I may get washed away so I may just be resting
    Why: could probably do with the rest anyway
    Last hard: yoga last night. Feeling a bit sick so the breathing was hard to concentrate on
    Lyrics: nope

Race well wabo (and your run made me laugh!)
    Lmh stay warm and dry
    Be careful off road with that back ale.

Have a lovely day all
  • I managed to get out for my run in the dry so no jacket but I was wet and cold by the time I finished. Pouring now and set in for the day I think.

Hope you're ok emzap.

Make it happen this evening Wabo - as Alehouse says, long way there, short way home and have a good race in the middle.

I hope you enjoyed your off plan day yesterday Hazel.

I'm not surprised Dustin - sounds like a tough session.

Are you planning LFotM this month Alehouse?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Cal: I posted lyrics (different song) of the originator the other week ;)  But today I thought of a certain cover which is my favourite version. All shall be revealed tomorrow.

LMH: Just out of interest: what new jacket did you buy? I have a Montane featherlight that's falling apart so need to look for something new. Back is ok. Not perfect, but ok. Been to the gym just now to do my stretches and exercises  o:)

Dustin: lovely words.

Nice running in the rain, Poppy.

Love yesterday's run story, wabo :D  Race well tonight. No short and easy for me today, it was MLR day :)

Chill, em.

Managed 15 miles in the end. Perfect morning for me - 11 degrees and dry. It was a bit breezy and decidedly autumnal. First half hour was run in the dark. What a difference normal temperatures make :)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    chick where did I get the short and easy from!!
    The funniest part about my run was lyla seeing me first at my house saying I am having a run, then they went home and saw me again (15 mins later) as they got home.  I went up for a while to chat with them and then said i am off for a run.  She told her dad, we saw nanna at hers and she was going for a run, then we saw her at ours and she was going for a run!!! Magic she said!! 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

And a wet one. No cricket to enjoy on the radio, Emz,  although the chat is entertaining as ever. Off-road is probably better for the back, especially as it is largely gravel.

LMH: no LFoM until further notice. Not running hard for the next month or so. Will do any sessions on the a-g treadmill if I can. Not worth risking the back. Will be trying to re-build the distance, slowly.

Nice MLRs, Chick,  Cal

Isotope bone scan is next Tuesday, with the report the following 

• Good that you are getting the scan so soon Alehouse.

chicksta - I had a Montane Featherlight for years which I loved then I moved to an inov8 lightweight windproof and water resistant, then I moved on to a heavier waterproof inov8 with a hood for more extreme conditions (they don't have the exact equivalents any longer as mine are a few years old and were bought in the sale) and my latest is an OMM waterproof that I picked up for £60 in the sale and fortunately haven't needed to test yet but it's fully waterproof with taped seams and a hood but mega lightweight. I love my inov8s, still have a couple of the lightweight windproofs and they are great in light rain, the heavier inov8 was amazing in bad weather, I was so surprised at how light it was given how waterproof (I used it as an everyday jacket rather than a running one initially) but the waterproofing is failing and the OMM was too much of a bargain to resist. Sorry - long answer.

Hope your weather is better than ours Wabo or it could be a bit of a miserable MLR and race.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Thanks, LMH. That's great input. Lots of people were sporting OMM products on Saturday, I'll look into that.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Chick: I have an OMM Rotor Smock and it is great...but possibly tooo warm! And no hood. Very waterproof and windproof. Great for the coldest days, short runs and officiating. Paid nowhere near the price below:
    https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-synthetic-insulation-c102/synthetic-smocks-c224/omm-rotor-insulated-smock-p689
    I find the OMM products well made and have a couple of their backpacks which serve well. 
    LMH: which OMM jacket do you have? (And still have no discount code despite messaging greatrunlocal!)

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

thank you, you are all amazing special people, I value your support, and as some have said its not doom and gloom, but time to find a new way through the paths set before me. I am and will continue to be a fighter.

Thank you again all, xx
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    No harm in keeping running and may be a lot of benefits.
    Not sure what 10k limit is based on and suspect any limitations would be on an individual basis.
    l personally wouldn’t set yourself any arbitrary limits but be prepared to alter your expectations both in terms of time and distance.
    (myasthenics aren’t supposed to run marathons either!)

Lovely walk around Island of Noss today with lots of puffins terns and gannets.
    Da weather due to change, the morn.
    lyrics - not in any version!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Lmh and alehouse, I did it. 2.5 miles there, nice strong 5k on the rides 29 something, then 1.5 mile trot home! 
    Happy days
    Oh that sounds delightful
    Lmh I was worried about the running there rain etc, would I need off road shoes or not etc. Anyway it worked out just fine just a drizzle!