Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - very impressive couple of sessions and a great week overall. 
    Leslie - nice weekly mileage. Hope you can make the 10k.
    Jools - doesn't sound ideal for a 10k, so not a bad result. Cardiff will give you a much clearer idea of where you're at.
    OO - another good week. Do you combine swimming with recovery runs? Currently just replacing a run with a swim but will re-think in a few weeks time.
    10 mile progressive today (8:57, 8:10, 7:51, 7:36, 7:34, 7:15, 7:22, 6:38, 6:27, 7:37).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    When my legs are a bit battered like today Gul a swim is a good alternative. However I often run and swim in the same day. I might get out for s recovery run this evening.
    Nice progression run there 🧐
  • Gul - Great progression run that 6:27 at the end must have been tough!
    SBD - 24 miles in training is incredible - and even better being able to pick up the pace for the final 5.
    Jools - sounds like a solid time to me; will have to give two tunnels a go sometime
    hdhgsgsges - thanks for the valuable input.
    Leslie - good solid mileage

So I'm at the end of my 2 week trial of replacing breakfast and lunch with the Huel - got to say it went quite well and my aim to be more controlled on my calorie intake resulted in between 3 and 3.5kg weight loss in the 2 weeks, not bad considering I had a couple of unhealthy weekend days. I think the product is good, very convenient, relatively cheap and from a eco perspective the amount of waste from packaging etc is ridiculously low.

Didn't do ridiculous miles over the past couple of weeks, but logged 49 the past week including a hungover 17 yesterday which was a real struggle. Did some treadmill tempos to try and lock in sub 6:20/mile pace which is the target for the half - like SBD I find myself absolutely soaked with sweat after a few miles - but I find it useful to get used to that pace; and makes it feel easier when it comes to same speed on the road. Managed to get a 4 mile section at that, and will try to add a mile every week or so.

Cardiff parkrun plan was postponed in the end, so just paced a friend on a local one and will be giving the Bois de Boulogne parkrun in Paris my best shot this coming weekend.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Lots to catch up on as usual!

DT - Yes its a new 2 lap route this year which is supposed to be flatter and faster. Sub 80 is definitely the target and id like to get as close to 79 as possible.
    SBD - Love using wine as motivation to get out of the door! Great tempo and long run, looking forward to seeing what you do in Abingdon!
    Gul - Are you completely injury free now? I replace a run with a swim so at the moment I run 6 days and swim 1
    OO - Great run at Quayside 5k, you are so quick! Get an autumn marathon booked in!
    VT - Did you get the quad sorted?
    Nicko - Good weight loss in two weeks! Great tempo as well, what half are you doing?
    Jools - Looks a good run as the fitness comes back, will definitely take a big chunk off that at Cardiff!
    Leslie - You seem to be going really well, some good sessions there!

Last week was my highest ever mileage week at 60.4m plus a 1k swim. Tuesdays session was 10 x 1k off 60s with 5 at HMP (3.45 avg) and 5 at 10k ( 3.37 avg) wore my new cloudflash which feel really good. Wont be waring them for anything over a half though! Friday was my 30th birthday which I kicked off with a 10m tempo. First couple of miles came out at 6.15 then I got faster from there finishing with an average of 6.10, massive confidence boost after blowing up a couple of weeks ago.

Had to run long Saturday so that was a tired legged 18m at 7.49 pace running 2.5m laps of the village so I could collect water. Similar mileage planned this week with a 4m/2min fartlek on Tuesday and a 20m Saturday with quicker sections before a mini taper for Kenilworth Half
  • Evening all. Back home now after a fabulous time in China - managed to run the grand total of 4 miles in two and a half weeks, although that was in the middle of the typhoon that brushed Shanghai which made for an interesting experience.

SBD - sounds like you're going from strength to strength. Which chapter in P&D was the wine incentive mentioned in - I think I might have missed that section!

Gul - good progression there. Looks a pretty disciplined effort. Congrats to MsGul

Good to hear from VT and Badbark again. Hope things pick up a bit Badbark.

That 10K time isn't all that shabby Jools - I'd definitely settle for it at the mo.

Good to hear from you as well MsE - look forward to heading out on the Downs with you and the pooches again in the not too distant future.

Impressive as ever from OO, both in terms of 5K time and mileage so far this year. 

Poacher - yes, we managed to get to see the Terracotta Warriors. Amazing. We spent time in XIan, Pingyao, Beijing, Ti'an, Shanghai and Hangzhou and while I didn't get much running done, I definitely got the cardiovascular system working well with all the walking around town + a couple of walks up sacred Taoist mountains, both of which had around 6,700 steps (and I'm talking about vertical steps, not horizontal ones!). Wonderful country (people, food, history, culture etc etc) and acutely aware that we didn't even scratch the surface.

Got back in time to get my GFA application in and received the thumbs up from the validation team - just need to hope my 3:08 from Abingdon last year is good enough to get in.

Have managed to get some running in since I've been back although my leg / knee problem hasn't been fully resolved and I can really feel it when I put pressure on it going up a slight incline. Suffice to say things weren't all that pretty during my parkrun tourism over the weekend to Birch-land and I only just squeezed under 22 mins on an undulating course at Graves parkrun. Have booked another physio appointment for Friday so hopefully I'll get something positive out of that.

On a more positive note, younger Lorenzito got the A level grades he needed to go to Leeds Uni so with elder Lorenzito having got a job in Manchester, a move up north for me and MrsL is an increasingly attractive prospect, especially after a weekend walking / running in the eastern part of the Peak District and looking in a couple of estate agents in Sheffield over the weekend to whet the appetite.

5 miles commuting today.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Sounds like a great trip Lorenzo.  Well done to younger Lorenzito.  I'm sure the fluid motivation tactic is in P&D somewhere!  Hope the physio can sort you out and get you back on track for Abingdon.

Excellent training Stevie - it's coming together nicely - the 10m tempo must have been a good confidence builder.

Good work on the weight loss nicko - you're building the mileage nicely.

Nice progression on the ten miler Gul.

You can still get a GFA place at the Yorkshire Marathon OO.

6 recovery miles this evening.  Legs feeling pretty good after yesterday's 24 miler which is a relief.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You guys are tempting me 😂
    Listened to Marathon Talk for the first time in ages and heard Lorenzo get a mention for his Northern Line exploits. Bravo Sir.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Autumn 2019 Race List:

29 September 2019   –
    Berlin Marathon         – Stevie Sub 2.45
    13 October 2019         Royal Parks HM          – Nicko 1.23 not as a squirrel; break top 100
    20 October 2019         – Abingdon Marathon  – Lorenzo
                                                                                              – SBD
    Sub 2:58
     3 November 2019      – New York Marathon  – G-D no PB target, just enjoy it
     9 November 2019      – Gower Coastal HM     – Nicko break top 25

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Autumn 2019 Race List:

29 September 2019   –
    Berlin Marathon         – Stevie Sub 2.45
    13 October 2019         Royal Parks HM         – Nicko 1.23 not as a squirrel; break top 100
    20 October 2019         – Abingdon Marathon  – Lorenzo

- SBD Sub 2:58
                                        -Baystate Marathon     -VTRunner sub3:10

3 November 2019      – New York Marathon  – G-D no PB target, just enjoy it
     9 November 2019      – Gower Coastal HM     – Nicko break top 25
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019

Nice 10K Jools. You are making nice strides.

SBD, great (super) LR. You’re killing it all around. And yes, I do indeed get anxious for my quality stuff during the week.

Leslie, you are getting some good consistent work in (and your seem to be making gains too).

Gul, I’d say you’ve shaken some rust off (especially on the last progressive).

Stevie, killer tempo run there. Happy Bday!

Lorenzo, congrats for your boy!

And Nicko, sweet weight loss. That's impressive.

So I think I’ve dodged a bullet with my right hip. Managed a subLT run and a cautious 15M Longish Run last week (48 M over 4 days). Took the extra 3 days for rest. This week started well with a decent SubLT run. Right hip has progressively improved. I’m still =(distantly) worried it might go boom, but less so now. Able to run hard without regressing. Fingers crossed. Not long now.

• Stevie - as SBD said; doing Royal Parks Half. Well done on some decent mileage there. Happy birthday too! The big 3-0; you'll be a Vet before you know it! Fantastic 10 mile tempo too.
    Lorenzo - glad China was good; must have been a great experience and a good running break. Congrats to the youngun on getting into Leeds Uni. Peak District is lovely and you can get some quality house in those parts for your money.

Legs were pretty shot today but went to the Monday club run and took it a bit easier than usual, 5 miles and change with some progression (7:56; 7:37, 7:33, 6:56, 6:13 and 5:22 pace for the last .2 of a mile). Rest the legs tomorrow with a bit of swimming before trying another treadmill sweatbox to see if I can get to 5mi at target HMP.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Autumn 2019 Race List:

29 Sep,
    Berlin Marathon, Stevie Sub 2.45
    13 Oct, Royal Parks HM, Nicko 1.23 not as squirrel; top 100
    20 Oct, Abingdon Marathon, Lorenzo , SBD Sub 2:58
    20 Oct, Baystate Marathon, VTRunner sub3:10
     3 Nov, New York Marathon, G-D no PB target, just enjoy it
     9 Nov, Gower Coastal HM, Nicko break top 25

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Lorenzo! Hope the knee sorts itself soon.

Officially in sulk mode at the moment, hence lying low for a while. Left calf is proper screwed. Started to feel like I was getting some pace back last week with a decent fartlek with 3 of the 4 miles at sub-7 pace and a decent 8 miler 2 days later. unfortunately, despite the pain not being there when running, the calf pain came back with a vengeance and I've been limping since last Friday. Have been wearing two calf sleeves for extra compression and have iced it regularly.

Have decided to have a good week off and try a 9 or 10 week campaign where I'll take a beginners approach and just build up slowly two 2 or three 20 milers and a 10 day taper. I only want a sub-3.20 in NYC as I did 3.19 in a very hot Boston, so when I get the World Majors certificate, all of the times shown are sub-3.20. 

Went for my 3rd lake swim last night and really majored on the technique. Got 1.83 miles done and bagged a mile PB of 32.47. It really is a lovely way to wind down after work on a summer evening. Will definitely do it again next summer with a view to doing a triathlon or two in-between campaigns.

Have booked a spinning class for tonight and plan another lake swim tomorrow to keep cross-training when injured.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know all about hips VT runner, you are very lucky if you escape that one.
    You could always try a swim Nicko when the legs are shot- I did 2k yesterday which felt great.
    Some lovely property in Sheffield Lorenzo. I’ve had 2 daughters at Uni there but junior has just left after graduation. Congrats to you son and his place at Leeds.
    Planning a longish one this morning with a few hills. I’m supporting a friend doing 36 mile Frog Graham in the Lakes this weekend, just a 10 mile leg for me but I’m lacking hill work and we will be running near Honister which is pretty steep.
  • OO - yes I will be swimming today, do it maybe once a week or so but to be honest I find it boring as hell doing laps; any recommendations on breaking it into less dull chunks would be good; have tried pyramid of 4,6,8,10,10,8,6,4 but other options welcome!

Looking forward to a decent LSR on Sunday in Paris; looking super hot though. Might run to Coulee Vert and then go out and back on that.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    nicko  some good training in the bag there. Have fun in Paris!
    Stevie - belated birthday wishes; sounds like in you're in good shape. Everything seems to be okay here, but I'm still playing it safe and alternating running / swimming days.
    Lorenzo - sounds like a great holiday. Congrats to both Lorenzitos - sounds like lots of change on the horizon. Hope the knee is sorted soon.
    VTr - sounds very promising. Don't over do it now!
    GD - sorry to hear about the calf. Nice cross training.
    OO - sounds like a good event. Have fun.
    35 min swim this morning.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - China sounds amazing, definitely somewhere to put on the list. Hopefully the physio can sort you out. Congratulations to the two junior lorenzos!
    G-Dawg - Sorry to hear you are struggling with the calf, have you seen a physio? 
    OO - 2k is a big swim! Im confident I could go further then 1k now but always conscious of tiring myself out for running. Moved up to the advanced group in my lessons so interested to see how that is on Wednesday!
    Nicko - enjoy Paris! Sounds a much nicer long run then my probably out and back to Solihull!
    Gul - Sounds like you are being very sensible, any races on the horizon?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the calf GD that’s a bummer, looks like you’ll have to go very easy as planned and get a few more Lake swims in.
    Nicko I always swim either 2 or 3k. I know others follow structured sessions but I lack the discipline. I stop for a few breathers and sometimes chat to other regulars for a break. You can also try different strokes and with or without the pull buoy- but yes it does get boring.
    Stevie if I’m planning a run after, I shorten the swim and use the pull buoy to save my legs, which is ok as long as the run sesh isn’t too heavy.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Lot's of swimming going on - almost beginning to see the attraction, particularly the open water swimming.

Sounds like a good LSR you've got planned in Paris nicko - presumably something other than running is taking there!

Really bad news on the calf G-D.  Have you seen a physio and are you doing the calf raises?  At least you have the swimming to keep the aerobic fitness up.

Hope you enjoyed the hills in the lakes OO.

Not too many hills on one of my favourite runs from home, running on country roads along the Chiltern escarpment, continuing through Great Hampden woods and then on to Whiteleaf Hill before turning around and retracing steps.  Nice views of the sun setting in the Aylesbury Vale on the way back as I finished just before it started to get dark.  A steady 11 miles at 7:37 pace.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi all, sorry been reading but not had time to post. Work was manic last week.

In Florida since yesterday for 2 weeks now. Will run when i can but it's hideously hot/humid and we have a lot to do.

Rounded things off by heading to walsall parkrun saturday. Disappointed with18.40. The winner did 14.12 and the top 3 made fast runners top 10 for weekend. Pretty loaded top end. I came 18th in a field of 400ish.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    18.40 is still a decent time DT, I always find it takes a couple of 5ks to get used to the effort again as well.

Sounds a lovely run SBD - are you doing Maidenhead half? Can't remember if you were or not

OO - I got brought a pull buoy for my birthday so looking forward to using that! 

Had a good fartlek session last night, plan was 60 mins of 4min faster then MP, 2 min just outside MP. Target of 6.10/6.40-6.45. Came out at 6.08/6.41 so really happy with that as my legs felt tired from the start. 60mins at an average of 6.18 and 13.15 miles in the 90mins including wu/cd. Just a swim tonight which will be shorter as I'm not sure how intense the new lessons will be.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - nice fartlek session. No races booked at the moment.
    OO - 2 to 3k sounds a long way to me. I did 64 lengths yesterday and I think the pool might be 20m but must find out - cheaper than getting a new watch ;)
    SBD - sounds like a really pleasant run - decent pace too.
    DT - still a good parkrun. Hope you can get some running in whilst in Florida.
    12 miles this morning. 1M w/u, 5M @ 7:31 and 6 @ 7:06.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's a quick final 6 in that 12 miler Gul.  Are you sure you don't feel the need for a target race?  There must be some local Half Marathons coming up in the next few months?

Paces looking on the fartlek session Stevie.  Maidenhead HM for me on 1 September - will be a MP run.

That's still a pretty good time at the park run DT.  Enjoy the holiday. 

These mid-week 15 milers come round far too quickly.  No need for the wine inducement tonight but I set off without any real enthusiasm and just wanted to get the run done.  Legs came alive towards the end, so last 4 miles at 6:49 pace and 7:26 overall.  More than 2 minutes faster than last week on the same course so I can't be too wine dependent!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo congrats to the youngun 
    VTR hope you can stay of the bench
    Nicko tasty progression for shot legs
    GUL you moving to the dark side too swimming lol, speedy 12 there !
    DT some serious speed at your parkrun, very decent time if not quite what you wanted.
    SBD excellent progress .

Got to the local 10k , its rained non stop all day till about 2 hrs before then the sun came out , brilliant !

Dessies 10k:

Nearly all in park and wide cycle paths , I didn't want to start of too quickly but thought 45 mins was possible.

A 7:14 first mile felt a little too fast so eased a little to 7:22 for the second ,first was a couple of laps of a park with lots of turns so hard to judge pace then out along the greenway/ cyclepath and some gentle downhill on mile 3 gave a  7:12 where I caught up with 2 club mates , decided I could push on a bit but mile 4 had a very steep but short hill that winded me a bit and 7:26 was the score .
          From then on it was the way back in slowly reeling in tired runners which is always a good feeling and 6:55 for mile 5 which is close to current 5k pace but it felt comfortably hard so even with a small climb mile 6 was 7:00 dead with a push to keep people behind me for the last 0.2m in 6:30m/mile. My lungs are able for more going by the breathing of those around me it's  just my legs currently cannot currently deliver but it's coming back ...

Scores on the doors 44:32 by my garmin .

• 18th out of that many runners sounds pretty good to me DT, enjoy Florida!

Great pace on the 12 miler Gul, nifty pick up at the end.

And SBD - looking in great form for Maidenhead half; tempted to join and run the old home town course if I can get a late spot.

Decent strategy on the 10K Leslie - currently feel the same with legs not keeping pace with lungs!

Another sweatbox treadmill session today; will move these to road soon. 5.5 miles on 1% incline at 6:18 pace - if I'd pushed another .7 of a mile it would have been a 10k PB, could have done it but will leave that claim for an actual road run! Fairly happy with holding on to that. Track tomorrow to sharpen up for an assault on the French....
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good consistent effort at the 10k Leslie.
    Just one care point with the pullbuoy Stevie, you need to wear long trunks, otherwise it can shred your thighs 😲🤪

York have offered me a GFA place for the Mara  in October- time to have a think 🤔. But just in case I've done 40 miles in the last 4 days.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - another good MLR in the bag. There are one or two local HMs, notably Peterborough in October, but it's mainly a case as to whether they fit in with my diary!
    Leslie - steady start paid off with a strong finish - well done!
    nicko - don't think I could face a dreadmill session; that's a tidy pace. Enjoy the track session!
    OO - good news on the GFA; another one coming in today hopefully! Good miles there too.
    35 min swim again today -  66 lengths. Not sure if I have speeded up a tad, or just can't count!
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    Gul, I'd say you retained fitness very well. I bet the break will lead to some nice gains soon. 

SubLT #2 done today (OO, 44 miles in 4 days here). Very warm and humid. I was like something that washed up on shore at the end. Gross. But more hay in the barn. Hip OK again. 
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    BTW, have any of you tried the nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next %? Or the previous 4%? Just read about these and am very curious if they live up to the hype in the real world. Not that I'm looking for a 2 hr marathon, but was intrigued. However, holy expensive! But if you only used sparingly (ie start with shorter runs to see if they fit/agree with your body, then do a few long tempos, then a couple of LRs), I could envision using that shoe only for races and get several out of it. Secret weapon. Ah, an idle mind (or in my case, a procrastinating mind!).
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Got the 4% and they are fantastic; only issue is they are a little narrow under the arch which caused some blistering. Only use them for A races though and can put up with it for that. Apparently the Next% are slightly wider in this area.

So far have run 1 mara, 1 half, 1 12 miler and 2 6-milers in them, so probably only a quarter through their lifespan; will definitely get the upgrade when they have done their time.

6 miles last night with track session of 3 x (1k, 500, 250); didn't push that hard as still feeling heavy in the leg but not bad paces.