Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Ah - that makes sense  :)
  • Looks like I will survive August but no intention of catching up on the thread: too much to read back. 

August was always going to be a challenge on the running front.

The first week was a family holiday on the coast in Cornwall and that turned out OK: tides meant nobody wanted to get up early so I could get up and do my run before anyone else was up. The property we rented was at Trevose which is between two heads so I could run east (round to Padstow) or west (round to Constantine) on the coast path for about 6 miles and end up about 2 miles across the headland so that gave me 4 routes of 8 miles each so a bit of padding and I had my biggest week of 2019 with 48 miles.

The next week was a work trip to Iowa City. It was hot and humid even at 5am (95% humidity!) but there was a good trail along a river so I got out each morning (and got backed soaked in sweat). Quick turn around for a holiday in Brussels and ended up the week with a Sunday long run in the Forêt de Soignes so basically Brussels south to Waterloo (take that you Frenchies) and back in the pouring rain.

The rest of the week was shorter runs in Brussels (just loops of the same park as our apartment was near a park and everywhere else was just street running) and then over the Bank Holiday weekend I did the grown-up version of Dad's taxi moving two kids to new flats: one in Ashby-de-la-Zouch and one in Portsmouth so a short week of just 34 miles. 

Now on 149 for the month and plans for 21 miles by end of Saturday will mean 170 miles and on target.

Have plans to do Long Eaton parkrun Sep 7th which is flat and fast so will be a sub-20 attempt.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SW - 20m at any pace I think is a decent run!  Good to see you're occasionally human not hitting the fairly decent pace aims! But could simply be a weather or early morn thing, simple as that.

Phil - come on son, usual drill for those who  F'off for a while is to lie that they'll "read back later", :D
    You don't half get around, and as humidity is seemingly my weather enemy, 95% humidity is horrific.

The time my work organised Brazilian rainforest conditions for a footy game once, I wonder what that temp and humidity was. I can remember it didn't half get people's irritation levels up, but I actually found it less hard than some races i'd done. Must simply have been as races build up the effect, whereas whatever anyone says about football - loads of the game is standing around.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Weekly threshold tempo then - Wed this week due to the bank holiday.

Dorney Lake again - this time using the "local knowledge" to park in what looks like a bus stop 1/3mile from the entrance. It's actually just a layby that parking is fine in. Beautiful. Saves £2.50.

Meant to do a 2mile warm up, but ended up doing 3, bit like old days with Moz!

Whereas last week was still one side of the lake, and fairly windy the other, this week it was sort of a moderate cross wind, so similar on both sides.

What this week did have over last week was a higher temp, and 86% humidity!
    While not the 4-5 degrees higher yesterday, on the flip it's still 4-5 higher than the next 2 days! But i wanted to do a steady run Fri, so had to get it done.

It definitely felt harder than last week, and midway I must admit I was batting off ideas of binning it off, maybe having a rest, then chucking a fast mile in, and pretending that was the plan :D

Getting onto the other side of the lake on lap 2 got rid of those thoughts, as you can always suck up one straight right? Even if it is 1.5miles.

Can only imagine it was the humidity effect, as leg wise I was fine.

6.15 average felt a decent result.

6.14 last week.

Quite different settings. But similar fast first mile (6.08 v 6.05)

I dare say a track would come out in the 6.05-6.10 sort of mixer, so a 6.10-6.15 continuous threshold pace seems a sensible sort of zone, with maybe 5.55-6 as HMP, and thus threshold 5.50-5.55 ish.

But that felt tough - so am glad to get it done! And tell myself it "won't always" be that humid/windy" :)

I noticed a hottie a couple of times round the lake 
    (Ed...RUNNING quick HR check on whether "hottie" is still acceptable these days....and...granted yes), but wondered why the passing places were very far apart each time.

As I was lying down in the grass after, then staggered back up, she monstered past, breathing like a dog, clearly doing reps, rather than us heroic/idiotic tempo-ers.

Ended up finishing just after, and was in the same lay by as my car, and I was weighing up a quick chat, but thought I looked such an absolutely ruined mess, I'd best not.
    Knowing me, I'd have only been asking about the sessions, reps and dat :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    StevieWh - i did IoW 1/2 on sunday and 23 on the following sarurday (for a 91m week) last week.

SG - how far is that run in total. I did 10m approx mp again yday (av 6.37), was a tough run on a warm day. Im sure that young filly would have been impressed if you had asked about her training rather than staring at her bangers. She probably thought it a bit strange that you were in the long grass ready to pounce though !
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    TR - You are a mileage monster though! I will be doing 21m with MP next Sunday as well though and then probably 22/23 as my last long run before Berlin the week after. That's a great MP run and will put you in great shape for Abo. As if you think about it the marathon is just a long tempo!

Great tempo SG, you definitely should have spoke to her! At least its motivation to keep going back! Will you keep the tempo at 6m or push it out a bit?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    TR - ooer missus! I thought i was a disgrace for thinking to myself what "powerful" legs she had, and making a mental note not to dare even lead with that.

3mile warm up, pissing about with all manner of stuff to delay the inevitable, then 6miles tempo, then 1/2mile cool down.
    Was already warm and bucketing sweat after the warm up! That's always a sign it's a tasty day!
    Probably the sort of day you could get into some mischief if you were trying to race something either long or offroad!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Stevie wh - agreed, just saying yr week wasnt so strange, long runs and 1/2s are all part of mara build up. What sort of pace do your 10m tempos come in at compared  to mp?

SG - nice, power ful legs. So 6m tempo, how much would you slow to up it to 10? 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Tr - They tend to come out around 10s/mile faster then MP, although ill need to squeeze that a little for a 2,45 in Berlin. 
  • SG, Strava flybys can be useful to see who you passed by.

In Iowa, I was out with a couple of colleagues doing a sweaty 8 and some dude in shades ran by the opposite way. Found who he was via Flybys, turns out he is Ryan Root and his bio in Strava says 2020 Olympic Marathon Trials Qualifier and he has a 2:16 marathon under his belt.

Turns out his session was 
    1k-2k-3k-2k-1k-2k with 2’-3’-4’-3’-2’ rest. 2:59, 6:07, 9:12, 6:01, 3:02, 6:05

Not bad, probably allow him to be a winker in shades if he runs that fast.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    TR -  Moz used to call this zone "MP", which comparing against Daniels table, fits well into "continuous threshold" pace (10-15 secs slower than HMP). Which is distinct from "threshold rep pace".(quicker than HMP)

I think "continuous threshold pace" is probably a better way of relaying it, as when people hear "MP", they either think i'm suggesting I could run a marathon this fast, or that it's an easier workout than it actually is :) As after all, the likes of you marathon whizzes do 10-12miles at MP!
    Whereas I topped out at 8 once.

I did a 10 miler last week that had 7 miles at "steady", which came out 6.34 average, which is a middle ground between today's effort and an easy run. That was certainly a less humid day!

SW - Moz's classic build up had a number of 6.5m MP runs (I've trimmed it to 6 due to having not done any for ages, being summer, and being a neat 2 laps of the lake!), and progressed with 5mins segments of HMP thrown in, 3mins segments of threshold rep pace thrown in, or simply started MP - ended "hard" - all different challenges in their own right!!

I did a few 7m MPs, and the peak was 8. That was a doozy.

After that, it'd split more into tempo "reps", depending on what the race aim is, 3x2m HMP, or 2x3m. A tough one looking back was 2x3miles at tempo rep pace! I must have been flying back then to smash that on the roads!! Funnily enough that was just before my twin 57 10milers on consecutive weeks!

I've had a few of these build ups over the years - they generally have been behind my best results for anything above 5k. I can see why - they're tough!

This is probably the first time starting in summer though, and I can certainly see why that's not ideal - but with races in October - seems worth while.
    No lose really - October racing will come out as it does, and can be built upon whatever happens.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

B) the anti-sunglasses guys on this thread are the reason I don't post here that often!

that was a good session SG, you'll be chuffed now that you didn't bin it. Loving what you've written on Strava about approaching that young lady. Really hoping that she has taken Phil's advice, has found you on there and will be round your place later to either 1. chat you up or 2. smack you up!

TR - great miles. I'm going to be literally miles behind you at Abingdon; my summer has been like Phil's, bouncing round all over the place and I've really struggled to get consistency. I've been working my way through the BAC session but tbh I'm finding that they are not that difficult given that they have fairly generous rests. No 90 mile weeks for me though. Must try harder.

SW - there will be a bunch of us Datchet folks swooning over your England vests on Sunday so I'll do my best to say hello. I don't know where I'll be pace wise. Given comments above, I did a 20 on Monday and will need to do a session this evening. Not ideal but gotta focus on the bigger goal of another sub 3 at Abo.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil - from memory, I smashed a sub 3 km at a "race" at Sandhurst track thing in about 2012 (maybe a 2.57?) to do around that as a rep is insane.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool said:

B) the anti-sunglasses guys on this thread are the reason I don't post here that often!

that was a good session SG, you'll be chuffed now that you didn't bin it. Loving what you've written on Strava about approaching that young lady. Really hoping that she has taken Phil's advice, has found you on there and will be round your place later to either 1. chat you up or 2. smack you up!

I kept it sensible, as I learnt my lesson on this very site about 12 years ago,
    when having enjoyed a run with Marlow, with a young lady and some geezer, I posted with ridiculous hyperbole about what a hottie she was.

Only for it to pan out that the guy also on our run was a big RW forumite, and he took great delight in mentioning the fact :D:D

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Wool - I'm doing Kenilworth not Maidenhead and I'm also too young/slow for an England vest! Have you got me confused with Pete? (I think he is doing it)

Didn't realise there was a ban on wearing sunglasses while running! I quite often do, don't fancy squinting for 20m on a long run!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SW - shades, arm warmers, leggings, hats, all utterly frowned on gub.
  • SG - knew it was short as we'd done it before. Again, all the volunteers openly laughed at how short it was when we spoke to them. Great session this morning.

Stevie - good luck Sunday.

Wool - i'll be spectating at Maidenhead, will look out for you. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Some very impressive racing and running going on as ever; especially Simon (as per), both Stevie's and TR. Big autumns coming for many of you by the look of it.

Good pr commitment Joe; used to think I was keen, but hearing about you and loads of others that travel the whole country doing pr alphabets etc. makes me feel much more low key. 

Yes I'm in Maidenhead HM Wool and set for an embarrassing time in the England age group vest. My form is rubbish; injury wise I've gone from worrying about my hamstring to now having a tight calf which feels like it will give at any moment and my training for distance has been almost non-existent. Did a 12 miler Sunday morning as my only long run and that was awful. I started very early so only have the heat as a partial excuse, but ended up walking some of it after about 10 miles and averaged a pathetic 4'48 per k on what was supposed to be a steady pace only about 20 secs per k under planned HM pace. Did a parkrun on Saturday giving it 100% on what is an easy course and only 19'16 there compared to mid 18's when at my best so that wasn't great either. No idea how M'head will pan out, or even if I'll finish, but if offered anything sub 1'30 now I'd take it. 
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

it was Muddy who I have confused but it'll be nice to see Pete on the start line and good luck at Kenilworth SW. So sorry for confusing you with one of us old boys!

B)

Joe - I'll be recognizable by my Datchet vest and shades. Might try and skip the calf guards to even out the tan a little. No arm warmers either. Did wear some of those at London this year though. They're really rather nice!

Pete - sorry to read those woes. I'm sure that race day magic will get you round in a respectable time if that's the right option. I'll have my phone with me for race day celebrity selfies with the likes of yourself, Jill, James, and Muddy!

B)

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SG - apart from arm warmers I'm guilty of all of those! The hat does only come out in extreme cold though or when it's snowing!

Pete - sorry to hear you are struggling, get those calf stretches in! Heel drops off a stair really help mine. 

Haha no problem Wool, good luck on Sunday!
  • In all seriousness, shades are pretty normal wear in the sun - if you squint it can affect the rest of your posture, etc Great little trip, Joe, Like PMJ I have done Brussels and got lost in some salubrious areas running - great training going on.

PMJ - Both times I have been to the USA it has been in August, so the runs around Cape Cod and then Phoenix were a nightmare. The latter has 37/38 degrees at at 9am, so you need to be out early..

Wind - we need a proper running weather reporter to give the proper wind speeds!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I wore gloves in a race once on a super cold Jan morning, and I regretted it within 1/4mile.

Similarly I cannot imagine a scenario where I'd wear a hat. It's normally trying to keep cool I struggle with - today I didn't even bother with a vest for the tempo - absolutely no chance that was staying on!

That's why in a way I envy young Ric, who said he never gets hot on a run!
    Ric - where are you son? People have forgotten your last wacky post - the coast is clear!
  • @Wool and @PeteM I've been in bed with a fever since last Friday. Starting to feel slightly back to normal today. 2 days of antibiotics left.

Not sure it would be wise for me to attempt an all out half in the circumstances.  If I feel better still tomorrow will try a test run. I have the hotel booked (Premier Inn) and it's non-refundable so will come down for the event and do it outside of the England banner perhaps as a training run. Going to drop an email now to see what the options.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad timing Muddy - sounds particularly nasty to slay you for the best part of a week. You've had a bit of bad luck this last year with a few downtimes like this?

I find I have a few borderline run down times - almost the verge of a slight tickly throat at the mo for eg, but all in the keen runner's locker I suppose!

• Stevie - Yeah it all kicked in pre-London, then had a UTI for Hull half. Anti-biotics must’ve partially cleared it and I’ve just yo-yo’ed between it bothering me, resting up and it reducing then flaring up again as I resumed normal stuff. I think the infection returned with a vengeance after the exertions of last week. I was dizzy with exhaustion on Friday.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Muddy; sorry to hear of your illness and hope the recovery continues and is as swift as you are! You don't have to run in the England vest you can just run in normal club colours. I might do the same unless my final prep run tomorrow is a bit better than my recent rubbish. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete- it'd be a shame not to run in the vest - after all it's not every day the opportunity comes around, but can understand if you're not feeling confident, you might not want to!

Looks like it'd be fairly humid, but the temp low ish compared to the week before!

I checked 7am for the next week round Slough, and the lowest humidity seems to be 88, with the max being 93!

As the temp rises, the humidity drops to a mere 45-50 each day though.

Muddy - that's a frustrating period, but at least you've been able to dip in with some excellent results in between.

• Yeah Stevie and the lingering infection clears up the cause of the blood in pee business. I managed to produce some at the GP on Friday at the height of the infection. I had all my other test results back and there were no abnormalities other than those associated with being old.

Pete, yes I was thinking that might be an idea. Just don't like the idea of turning in a relatively slow time when someone else could have ran in my place with a faster one.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    StevieWh- mmmm, id like 6.37 to be better than 10sec quicker than mp. With fresher legs i think id be able to go quicker. I also have time to get the av pace down nearer 6.30. Id like to aim 6.40s at Abo.

StevieG - interesting stuff. I dont do a lot of quality work, do i guess what im doing is a hard 10m and wondering how close to mp it might be. As StevieWh says, its good physical and mental prep as o have to play the same mental bargaining games as race day.

Wool - you must be in 1/2 decent shape as i used to find those BAC sessions tough, there is a lot of work in what turns out to be quite a long run in the longer sessions. Im hoping to be sub 255 shape by Abo. I did 1.27 at IoW 1/2 last week, which is worth around 5mins on a better course. Sunday will be a good marker for you, hopefully you get some sub3 indicators, you were quick at worthing on tough day.

Sorry to hear that Pete and Muddy arnt going to have the hoped for days Sunday.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR- must be harder than a race day, as the pure adrenaline and so many people being round you just unlocks a bit more of everything doesn't it, from pace to purpose

Turned a lunchtime 4 miler out, glad to be nearer 7.30 pace, and started drifting off into a bizarre fantasy about running John O Groats to Land's End over xxx weeks :D

Popping into work on the way to whoop it up.