175 miles
4 rest days
no races

ALF: Always a little further
Miles makes smiles.
Progression

Comments

• Morning.

Thank you for the kind words. I need to relax and let it go rather than keep waiting for the phone to ring and worrying (bit of a panic yesterday evening when Mark realised he had missed a call from his mum but she was just 'updating' us - wanted a chat I think). Easier said than done though.

Enjoy your shorter run Poppy.

You're doing well to keep moving as much as you are emzap.

Hope the weather is better for you and you enjoy today OH.

What:         short run when it's light enough to see the coast path
    Why:           I can't sleep
    Last hard:   feeling guilty for coming away/sleeping
    Last rest:    27/7

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: maybe some walking
    Why: trying to keep active
    Last hard: not sleeping. Not helped by neighbours doing karaoke until 1am. No idea why they've suddenly turned into party people when we've never had problems before!
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all. Lmh enjoy your trip and though it's hard, please try and relax :)
  • LMH: Relax and enjoy your holiday it is to de-stress you :)
    EM: that sounds like a hard night and you need your sleep, you won't get much post baby :)

8 miles for me this morning it is normally double day but decided to just run from home a pleasant 8 degree's and legs less treacle like today.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good news that your legs have stopped sulking Poppy.

Annoying about your neighbours emzap but you'll be able to get your own back soon and there'll be nothing they can do about it :-)

More walking than running for me today but that's ok.
  • Ups - later became today.

Yesterday's lyrics: She drives me crazy from the Fine Young Cannibals

Oh no LMH you could have done without the additional issues of your FIL.  Hope you can switch off nonetheless for your break and don't feel guilty about not being there.  Glad Grace is better.

Didn't realize you are streaking Ale.  Well done on finishing the year.  

No holidays yet for me WP - must book one soon though.  (probably mid-October).  Treacle legs sound familiar.  

Hope the head is feeling better Wabo.  

Good news regarding the sleep Chicksta. Lebkuchen are back in the shops here too - I have been prowling around them but will hold off until November!

That is a good parkrun result RFJ.  Hope your race went ok today.  

Shame about the kayaking OH.  Hilly profile that!  

Good you can still do some exercice emzap. Hope you had a nice brunch after the barcode scanning.  

Thanks for the hugs and kind words regarding this week's slump for me.  Must put things into the right light runningwise and remind myself that I can.  

August figures: 208 miles, 3 races, 2 age group 3rd places.   
    September goal: complete the bulk of my HM plan as much as I can.

What: still have a longish run to do this afternoon - 23k.  I am supposed to be doing the last 5 @ LT but I don't think I am up to it today.  Will see how things go and do a bit of progression at least.
    Why: HM plan
    Last hard: waiting for cooler autumn weather
    Last rest: 26.08.

Lyrics: no
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    afternoon all

Olbury 10m - the good the bad and the ugly.... the plan was to go out at a comfortable pace..... somewhere around 9mm.... well that failed immediate as was in the 8:30's... and pretty much stayed there and in and out of the 8:40s for the first 8m.... that was the good.... the bad was the next two miles as my leg progressively got worse, any time  i tried to push i would nearly fall over as the foot dropped and caught, but didn't fall.. then the ulgly was the last 400m as leg tottaly gave up and dragged my sorry ass in for as predivted a road PW of 1:30:22, race measured slightly over on the Polar, but not fussed....

I got what I wanted from today to see where my body was at and sure enough, its not there after 8m, got abig ulgy bonus as well in a massive blister on my right toe, partly due to the foot drop and pressure therefore on the toe.... as also now indivated on my trainers over the last few months........

sorry of the race really in the splits - 8:36 8:39 8:34 8:28 8:36 8:40 8:45 8:50 9:42 10:13 1:19. overall happy.... but 10m may just be a mile or two too far for me.... had I been more diciplined with the pacing may have been different, so may yet have to try that approach as well....

Take care
  • Afternoon...and thought I had posted this morning!

Lyrics: no

What: short run with walk and stretch breaks

Why: being careful

Enjoy the 23k, Hazel

Did you get an hour in, Wabo? Hope you get to see the North London Derby!

Interesting report, RFJ! Lots to think about! A few things spring to mind: 
    - pacing!
    - how long is your longest run in training?
    - stretching routine or Pilates or similar
    - strengthening routine (can be combined with the above)

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Yes Ale,

lots to think about

Pacing should have been slower today, and difficult when aiming at 7mm for a 5k and potentially plus 9mm for 10m. I need to understand what my body is able to do.... in trg at 9:45s the legs have started to go at 8-9m so no shocks there.

strength could be better but ok and stretching is a daily activity... so also now have to be aware of what my body is telling. As dragging and swing my leg in the last mile is not comfortable / frustrating but little I can do with Thwhat I presume is the MS.... so really just taking what I can do.... 

plus the faster I go the quicker it kicks in so have to manage pace well at 10k to prevent the leg dragging... 5k is still ok an not overly affected other than a small drop in overall pace...

Many thanks
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    RFJ: First of all: Well done for completing the race even if things fell a bit apart towards the end. Who knows - more slower miles, longer runs and additional strength training could be the answer. Perhaps a matter of trial and error. "Progress is rarely a straight line" ;)

Hope your long run went ok, Hazel. Those were the hardest runs in the schedule! I used parkrun to get mine done. It helped to do the hard graft in company. It's it still hot then in your part of the world? We had a sudden break this afternoon. I ran in 26 degrees and close to 100% humidity earlier. Now it's below 20 and 50%. Should have waited ...

Hope you're having a lovely break and manage to switch off, LMH. Where on the coast are you?

Very annoying neighbours, em. Karaoke???

Seriously hilly profile, OH.

Hope you can run again soon without stretch breaks, ale.

Jealous of your 8 degrees, poppy. Luckily next week is set to be a lot cooler with morning temps of 12 degrees. Can't wait!

August stats: 315 miles, 2 trail races (HM and 30k) but generally a disappointing month compared to last year when I was running much faster. Can't really blame the heat as last summer was pretty similar, albeit slightly less humid. Looks like age has finally caught up with me.

What: 7 miles
    Why: keep the wheels turning
    Last hard: cooling down after the run - I was dripping
    Last rest: 11/8
    Lyrics: yes
  • You are too young for age to have caught up with you chicksta - it will come good on race day if you get the miles in. We are in Sheringham.

I think pacing may have played a part RFJ. I'm sure you're researching what may be attributable to the MS and what you can do about it. I have a friend who was diagnosed with relapsing remitting a few years ago now at quite a young age, she rides competitively and is still fine as long as she is consistent, if she has a few days off riding for any reason she finds it much harder to get going again.

You most certainly can Hazel. Booking a break might help in the circumstances too?
  • Rather different half today, flat and mostly dry and sunny. Still a bit of wind around.
    Enjoyed and crossed finish line albeit 29 minutes slower than last year.
    Still content to have completed back-to-back double. Legs were stiff for first few miles and felt like end of marathon for last few miles.
    Els took home 3rd F50+  with nice bling.
    Last hard - that was
    No running before 5:30pm tomorrow!
    Lyrics no idea

Hard times LMH
    Good solid 8 miles RFJ which makes me wonder if it is more to do with pacing (my bête noire) rather than MS

Double group this weekend

Els's bling today

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Nice bling oh and well done Els.

Sounds like a good day out rfj despite the slowing of pace. Ditto what others have said about trial and error and maybe a slight adjustment in pacing.

Only 3 km walked today but it'll do.  Think this baby may arrive soon...