My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great 15 miles Will, must be your first LSR in a while, good that you stuck to it. I've noticed it's becoming autumnal, leaves changing and shadows getting longer. Good shout out about Aldi's jelly beans, I'll pick some up.

Fantastic running Cal,30 seconds is a massive difference. Well done.Not far from a sub 24 as well.

Just over 8 miles this afternoon. 2 miles gentle warm up, calf felt ok so went straight into 4 miles @ MP. Happy that my calf seemed ok,don't need any injury worries so close to Chester.

• "My body is like a bag of broken spanners " :) :) That's a great quote Cal! You haven't copyrighted it have you, I'd sure like to use it sometime.

9 hilly ones for me this morning. It's weird, this particular route takes me along cliff edges, sometimes the track suddenly goes within 10 or so feet from the edge, .....scary. Anyways, a nice run, quite a few fellow turf treaders, lots of dog walkers, also stopped to chat with my friend from down the road who took me up to A&E after my fall.

Well done Will on your 15 miles, yes the seasonal change is sudden and quite noticeable.

Just a personal observation re injuries: perhaps it's my age (65) and accepting attitude, or spendthrift nature, but I have never yet been to a therapist about injuries. I take a few weeks off, it helps or it doesn't, either way things improve to some extent. OK, I know, its not ideal, works well enough for me, though not for other guys.
  • I'm not convinced it wasn't a fluke, JD, but I'll take it. Glad your calf is improving. Have you seen the tops for Chester? They look really good. Rather sad I'm not doing it now.
    Well done, Mollie. That sounds sensible but I admit I don't like taking much time off as I always have a race coming up!

20 miler today which I decided to spice up by doing the last 6 miles at MP (actually a little faster...some of them were sub-4 pace. My new Garmin is crap at calculating my pace compared to the old one, unfortunatley, although it's better in other ways. Namely that it actually works and doesn't lose my runs).
    Anyway, I did a similar route to last week but took a different route through Tooting and then spent longer in Morden Hall Park to explore the smaller paths and trails. It was there that I unwittingly stumbled across a lady in the midst of a nude photoshoot! (Obviously a tasteful one - didn't see anything I shouldn't have).
    Played dodge the dog on Wimbledon Common and then returned home via the route I should have taken last week but didn't because I went a bit wrong. Job done.
    Another 55 mile week so I'm due a deload week now plus physio tomorrow.
  • Wow - that is a great parkrun improvement Cal and a 70+ wava is not to be sneezed at either!  Good if you can improve on your short distance times whilst mara training.  And another good long run as well today with the MP at the end.  Just please be careful you don't get overniggled before your mara! 

How did your dad do at the parkrun enrvuk?  Well done on the 200k month.  I could do with a good project manager - the one in charge of the project I work in is crap!

JD I have done about 120k river miles in bits - some in races and some in training.  Looking at a map I thought I could fill in the gaps, quite a bit will be about the logistics of getting to and from start and finish points.  Good news the calf was temporary.  

Will is your dad still running?  I remember your writing about him doing some runs as well.  Nice long run, I am looking forward to the autumn now.  Don't worry about your pace or breaks if you are getting back to the longer runs.  

Watch those cliff edges Mollie.  

For me a nice 3 mile recovery pootle on Friday evening at sunset followed by 8 miles yesterday morning with 2 sets of strides.  Still need to go out yet today for 14 miles - currently waiting for it to start raining so that it might cool down a bit.  
  • Got the 14 done squeezing my route between 2 thunderstorms to the south and north, was only caught by the edge of one for a 5k or so slight dampening.  Plan was to progress up to the last 5k @ LT but didn't feel up to that today. Did put in a decent effort though and my legs are starting to feel more willing after last week's racing. Few people about, probably as I was running at most people's dinnertime.  I had left OH with assorted ingredients including fresh veggies from the garden and instructions whilst I was out.  He did produce a good meal and I did at least do the washing-up!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Cal, been trying to find a pic of the tops, no luck so far.Great 20 miler again, are you aiming for sub 4 in York?

Nice 9 miles Mollie.I'm with you regarding physios.I'll just rest and you tube exercises for injuries, plus my wife would go  mad if I started spending money on treatment as it would be my fault for having a silly hobby!

Another great run from you Hazelnut. Cooled down a lot over here.You have your OH well trained!

Just over 6 miles this afternoon, feeling tired so kept them very easy.Half a mile short of a 50 mile week.Rest tomorrow,easy run Tuesday and fingers crossed for a good 20 miler Wednesday.

• I saw them on Facebook - if you're on there and have liked the Chester Marathon page, you'll find the photo.
    I was thinking Manchester for the sub-4 attempt and then try to get closer to it at York but now I don't know - if I can maintain or improve on my current form, who knows? I may try to go with the pacer and see how long I can stick with him. I did that with the 4:15 pacer at Manchester last year, thinking I'd get about half way, but made it to 18 miles before he got away from me. Then I got my sub-4:15 in Chester (under by over 4 minutes, in fact).

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Thanks Cal,that's a great top,that'll definitely go in my best top drawer! With the form you're in at the moment I'd give it a good go - nothing to lose.       

• Hello Mollie! Sounds like you have some nice trails where you are. Nothing like a cliff edge to get the heart pumping! 

More solid running, Cal. Remind me of your next race?

That's a big week, JD1.  Good effort! One day I'll hit 40 in a week, maybe when I start doing ultras...

A good effort by your OH, Hazelnut. My wife has been known to burn water, so I keep her out of the kitchen :) My Dad's had some injury problems in the last couple of months - sciatica and hamstring - but he'll be back on Parkrun soon and we're doing a 10K trail race in October.

After my 15 on Saturday my knees became very stiff and sore - quite worrying for a while. I iced them and stayed away from the stairs. Thankfully,  come Sunday morning,  they were fine. I guess the longie was just a bit of a shock to the system. I popped out for a 3 mile recovery last night, which eased things up and legs feel fine this morning. Back to eating clean since returning from hols and starting to feel more in shape.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Next race is Richmond half in two weeks. That snuck up on me!
    I like a recovery walk on a Monday, Will - did 2 miles early this morning and saw a heron and a cormorant on the pond.
  • Away for three days and so much has happened!

Cal, amazing PB at Parkrun. That feels like a breakthrough time to me and 70% is pretty special! The hard work is paying off big time.

When you say your watch is not good at pacing, what do you mean? Surely it's just distance/time? I'm clearly missing something.

Good miles everyone else. 

Had a mess up on Saturday, we ended up at a different parkrun to my Dad and Brother in Law. Us at Castle Park, them in Harlow. Dad thoroughly enjoyed it and came in at a shade over 41m, not bad on such a hilly course. I managed 25m12s at Castle Park, which is nice and flat. Only thing of note was the pacing, 2nd, 3rd and 4th km all in 4m57s according to my watch. Consistent!

I managed to pour boiling hot bbq sauce (well part formed bbq sauce) on my leg on Saturday and had a trip to A&E. Nothing too serious, but a few blisters.  I ran 7.4k this morning, so I am surviving. Need to fit my long run in tomorrow morning.

Have a good running week all.
  • OK, so with my Forerunner 25, it would estimate that I was running, say, a 10:25 mile (I always pace in min/mi, even in KM races), and then I'd know if that was too fast or too slow for the training I was doing and could adjust my pace accordingly. With the 45, it'll say I'm running an 11:30 mile and then when I get the mile bleep the mile will be 10:15. Or sometimes it'll say 10:30 and the mile will then come in much slower. It's a pain in the arse. I do a lot of my runs by feel but it's really good to know if I'm going too fast for an easy run or if I'm hitting my pace on an MP run. I've not found a way to fix it.
    Good parkrunning from you - hope your dad didn't mind the mess up.
    Ouch to the burn. I once decided to panfry some salmon topless when it was hot in my flat and ended up with fat splatter burns on my chest and stomach. Fortunately they faded after a bit, but I definitely learned fried food is not something you want to be cooking in the nude.
  • A recovery-paced 8 miles today. Body a bit grumbly, unsurprisingly, but I got it done. No interesting sightings to report.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Dad was fine as it happens. When he gets back from staying in Turkey he’s planning another Parkrun! 

Cal impressed by your cooking attire.so you’ve stopped cooking fried food in the nude, but it’s fine for other cuisine?

On your watch there will probably be a setting for how long the pace is based on. On my Apple Watch depending on the app it can be anything from 30 seconds through to the whole run. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a setting you can change. 

I ran 16k this morning with a fast Finish at around 6:05 km pace overall. A sleeping Swan in the middle of a path in the Park was the most noticeable sight. Really enjoy the sculptures in the bottom half of the park too. 

I’m off to Noordwijk on the coast of Netherlands tomorrow for work. One rest day followed by a nice tempo and interval run will be much nicer than three days of meetings. 
  • Actually I've just stopped cooking when it's hot. Using the oven (or hob) when it's hot further raises the temperatures in my very small, west-facing flat which is the last thing I need. Probably why I've lost a few pounds recently - I've been eating salads all summer. Enjoy your trip.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I like to fry fully clothed, except on Friday nights...

4 steady miles this evening, at a slightly better pace. Form and legs felt better and so progress seems to be happening. Kids back to school tomorrow, so have been turning up Nye's new trousers and stitching in a new hem for him. Rock to the roll.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • LOL to the semi-naked cooking.  Hope those scalds heal quickly enrvuk.  Well done to your dad for his parkrun and a nice one from you too.  Enjoy Holland (even if it is for work)

Good news if your Dad can get back to running soon Will.  Glad your knees recovered that fast from the longie.  Hope your kids are looking forward to going back to school.

Good mileage JD. 

I would see how your HM goes Cal and then whack the time for that into a marathon race predictor and see what it spits out. Pain with the watch pacing wise.  Perhaps you will notice a pattern if you run the same route regularly and it is a poor GPS signal in places so you can compensate for that?

Just short of HM distance yesterday evening for me.  Trotted to the meeting point for my group run, did that and trotted back again.  In total about 2 hours with around 400m of upping and downing.  Beautiful evening - warm initially but cooled rapidly and was treated to a lovely deep orange sunset (no camera unfortunately).  It was already quite dark in the wooded stretch on the return so I had to shuffle carefully.  I did have my headtorch but couldn't be arsed to fumble it out of its pocket.   I do know the roots and stones quite well though.  Saw a big marten ambling across the road.  Quite a few people out enjoying the evening air and all friendly.
  • Sounds nice, Hazelnut.

It was raining hard when I woke up so I put my run off until mid-morning when the sun came out (at the cost of my pilates class, but never mind).
    Did 9 miles total - two to warm up, 2 LT, a recovery at (my old) MP, 2 more LT, then two to cool down. I was going to do a longer block of LT but couldn't quite face it, which is why I split it into two chunks. I don't know how you manage with it in P&D (or P&whoever it is for the HM).
    I still don't know how I can run that fast for much longer in a race and it doesn't feel anything like as hard. I swear it's Voodoo.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Shame about the parkrun mix up enrvuk,well done to your dad though.Nice 16k,enjoy your work trip.

Great 13 miles Hazelnut,you're putting some mileage in lately.What race do you have planned next.

That's a good session Cal,sounds like a tough one.Love your cooking story,could have been worse you might have been ironing.

20 miles this morning,8 - 16 miles @ MP.Last couple of miles started feeling sick not sure why though.Body is starting to feel tired,really looking forward to the taper.Just wondering if it would be beneficial doing one more long run or start cutting back.

• Great LT run Cal.  Tough one that. Unlike P&D, P&L (the up to HM distance) has most of the LT runs in time rather than distance intervals.  I've come to appreciate the time aspect - stops me setting off to quickly as unlike distance the interval isn't over quicker for it.  MP is quick for the recovery part I generally jog that slowly (4 mins), anything up to 2 mins slower per k (sorry..) than the LT bits.  Agree on the how do I do it faster in a race bit.  10k pace (faster than LT) is a struggle in training.

I initially read you did 16 miles @ MP JD - but rereading you mean you did from mile 8 to mile 16?  I would start the taper with a last long run. 

Lunch recovery yesterday - always feel sluggish doing those.  Start off feeling ok and then the legs go to sleep and I have to wake them up by speeding up my cadence for short stretches.  Not necessarily the pace as such, I just shorten my stride.   Was warm but that really does look like the last day of it for a while.  Met one walker with a nice looking Jack Russel. 

• An 8 mile jaunt this morning. Enjoyable. Only reason I stopped when I did was because I was thirsty (I only take water on my long run, as a rule).
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Yes,Hazelnut that should be miles 8 to 16 @ MP.Going to fit in one more long run next week,then taper.

Just over 4 miles recovery this evening,joined by Polly,who carried a plastic bottle all the way and Rhiannon,my eldest daughter,so my peace and tranquility was shattered but enjoyable all the same.Feeling better so hoping for a quality session tomorrow .
  • How nice that your girls run with you, JD.
    5 miles recovery today. Wore long tights for the first time in ages. This was because all my shorts were in the wash, but it was chilly enough that I didn't regret it.
    Saw a little wren and a nice thrush.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Rhiannon's running is really coming on,Cal.She really likes going to athletics club,so fingers crossed she'll stick with it when she becomes a teenager.

12 miles this morning,6 x 1 miles @ 10kp,0.5 mile recovery in between.A good run,hit all my times,so I'm happy with that.Spotted two herons,one which stood its ground with me as I approached it,I was only 5 feet away from it when I passed him.
    Going to York tomorrow but not until lunch time so I'm going for a sneaky parkrun before I go.Going to try a fairly new venue,Henley Wood,Oswestry,speaking to club mates it's a tough course,so I'm not expecting much.
    Have a nice weekend.
  • Might need a bit more than the summer shorts here soon too Cal. 

Is Polly your dog JD?  I think you have one?

Intervals for me yesterday afternoon.  Haven't done any in a while so a bit of a shock to the system as always.

3 x1200 with 3 minute recoveries and 3 x 1000 with 2:30 recoveries yesterday afternoon.  The 3 longer ones were consistent as were the 3 shorter, just a bit slower.  Legs were feeling it by the end and the lungs were protesting in all 6.  Distances were all measured by GPS.  At a bit faster than 10k race pace I didn't look around me much - I did notice a lot of trains going up and down the track next to me and that of all of the cyclists passing me only one was travelling by pure pedal power.    
  • Hi everyone! just thought I'd check in and say hi.

Went to the doctors after the Canterbury race, he had a good look and wasn't sure if my knee is an overuse injury or tear.  I've been told I can't run for two weeks.  it doesn't seem to be healing and I haven't ran for well over a week.  Knee still hurts at the back and sides and feels loose.  Work is crap and I need a run! Going to the gym at the weekend but I hate the gym.  The doctor was very condemning of distance running for osteoarthritis, which surprised me.  

Staying positive it's going to get better, I'm becoming an irritable prick at work and drinking too much.  I really miss it!

Awesome running all! too many posts to go through but have a great weekend.   
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Polly is my young black Labrador, Hazelnut ,a big slobbering mutt but she's great at finding discarded plastic bottles and running for miles with them.
    That's a tough interval session,great running.I need to do more interval sessions,enjoyed the one today.

Sorry to hear about your knee,Linton,what's next after two weeks rest?You need to find a punchbag at the gym take your frustrations out!Have to totally disagree with your doctor about running causing osteoarthritis,the science doesn't back his claim.
  • Hi JD, yes I did some reading on return from my appointment and as you say, there no hard evidence running causes premature joint wear.  I was quite surprised.

If there's no improvement I will have an X-ray, and go from there,  I' m hoping it is going to be OK though.  
  • Not good, Linton, though agreed on the arthritis - your doc is basing that on outdated thinking. I reckon you should get yourself to a proper running physio who knows what they're talking about (if you want a scan, though, you still need the NHS).
    Well done on your intervals, folks.
    JD, if you have the parkrun challenges brower extention (I recommend it!), that one counts as a West for your compass.
    As for me, off to Lloyd tomorrow - supposedly the hardest run in London though I expect that's based on winter when it's muddy. I'll have to see how it stacks up against Sunny Hill.
  • Sounds awesome, where do I send my bank account number and sort code?

Serious question guys, wonder if you can help.  I've worked so hard to get my fitness up to a good level how long will it stay before it starts deteriorating with no weekly mileage? Any ideas? thanks