Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning, weather warmer and very humid even at 5 a.m.  So dark in the mornings now :(
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-1 of the people I ran with on sunday said it can be very busy,water stations were mainly on 1 side so will get my course geekness mode on and study it so I'm as prepared as possible.
    Hopefully my half on sunday goes well so it doesn't put a different time in ny head.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I'd forgotten you're doing Frankfurt as well.  Sounds like a good plan there.  I'll be researching Berlin as well and I'll let you know if I find anything, as I want decent run to as well :)  

Cal, I agree that I think you need to race the Half and see how you get on.  You're obviously running well and if that translates into a PB for the Half then your sub-4 could be possible for the marathon.  What's your current Half PB again?

Steve, that's still a good time although I can understand the disappointment.  I reckon go and give another a crack.  Pacing these things is hard sometimes!

Shades, yes, really Berlin is going to be my best attempt at a decent Autumn Marathon effort both in terms of the course, but also being fair rested beforehand.  I do know I had a good race on Sunday, but I can't quite explain it - I'm just not quite feeling the fitness is there.  Apart from Sunday where I admit that I did feel strong, generally, I feel quite ploddy a lot of the time.  I can't explain it really.  McMillan shows 3:19 for a small PB off of that Half time.  Maybe I should just go for it and see what happens, but I also do want to enjoy the event and if I'm walking with 6-miles to go, that's not very enjoyable!  There's a few weeks to decide yet.  Maybe go through Half at a bit under 1:45 and if I'm feeling okay push on, and if not just try and hold the pace.  I know it's not really the advised thing to do, but on occasion I just decide almost on the start line or in the first mile or two - I seem to know pretty early on if I'm potentially in for a good day or not.  That's what happened at Malta anyway, where I overtook the 3:30 pacer early on, which was never part of the plan...

After yesterday's 4-miler, I went along to the (just under) 7-miler with the club.  Bang on 10min/miles when I was running, although there was some stopping/regrouping, but it was a nice 11 miles for the day.  I don't want to mention the "A-word" (achilles!) but mine have been uncomfortable a bit over the last week or for the first time in years, so I'm doing the old heel drops as I don't want that coming back!  Similar pattern to last time in that it's fine to run, but it's difficult going down the stairs first thing.  That's how it started for me last time.
  • Options
    Half PB is 1:53:45. I'm not intent on beating that at Richmond - the Kew Gardens section can be congested and the Thames Path bit is quite stony, but I'll see how I feel on the day. Kingston in October is when I'll go for it, body willing.

Big G, not brilliant about the achilles. Once that sets up shop it's bloody hard to shift. I know - I've had it for a year and a half now and it doesn't seem to want to go away no matter what I do.

Shades, yes - I'd welcome it if they put the clocks back a bit earlier, but that'll never happen. I don't care about light evenings, honestly, but I like light mornings.

8 mile recovery run today. Achilles was a little bitch for the first mile or so. I told it to shut up.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, the old achilles knocked me about a few years ago now.  I did all the physio and saw a podiatrist who gave me inserts for my shoes, but in the end it was rest that sorted it I think.  This time I'm getting on with the heel drops much, much earlier so hopefully that will help.
  • Options
    Cal - I think waiting on pacing for Yorkshire is dependant on your half marathon, I would say you could get close based on 1:53 to a 4 hour. That's massive miles for August, congrats. I always know I've had a good month when I've done 200+ miles.
    Shades - I have a 10k in 5 weeks, but could potentially switch to the half, although it is a hilly course. Agreed about racing, I haven't done it enough over the last 2 years really.
    Ian - Yeah water stations can be chaotic at Berlin, loads of cups left on the floor too, so can be slippy.
    Back on it today with a 7 miler.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Cal-It seems strange to say this,but I actually put my Achilles problems down to a lot of my I improvement,since I've had it it has forced me to run more easily to avoid aggravating it and I think that was the biggest part of improving.
    Has anyone used,or know anyone who uses a polar watch? Thinking about getting a new one soon and some of theirs look good but not sure of many who have them.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I found Berlin too crowded for my liking to be able to run freely, but nowhere near as congested as London.   The drink stations at Berlin were a bit hazardous though mostly due to the discarded litter so a bit of caution required there.

Which half are you doing on Sunday?  Flat/fast/hilly?

Ian - I know a few folk that have Polar watches and rate them highly.   I had a quick glance at GPS watches available a few days ago and I may go for a Polar next time, they're very highly rated for heart rate training too.  

Big G - if for any unforeseen reason Berlin doesn't go well for you then you can ease back and have a go at Loch Ness, which despite it's hill is a fast course.   As you say you know fairly early on whether it's going to be one of your faster marathons.    

I'm not deliberately pushing you, Cal or Ian to race as fast as you can by chasing the race predictor's marathon time, it's just that you are all (touch wood) injury free and not recovering from any illnesses and as we all know these opportunities need to be taken when we can.   I absolutely agree the decision on what pace to run should be taken on the start line, only you know how you feel at that time, mentally and physically, I've done all my best PB's like that.

Is this achilles discomfort both achilles or just one?   If it's both you've maybe done too much speed stuff recently or it's possibly your shoes.

Cal - I don't care about the light in the evenings either, I don't even notice what time it gets dark.

Steve - you've been training really well so hopefully the next race will be much more enjoyable for you.

Stability balls yet again at Pilates, really tough work out, my legs were like jelly when we finished :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it's just the one side at the moment - the right one.  I do happen to have a few pairs of shoes on the go, all coming towards the end of their life.  I was thinking about going along to the Tri speed session on Thursday but I'll play that by ear.  Maybe doing that Friday evening 12x45-sec session and the Sunday Half has aggravated it, although as I say it's currently okay when I'm running.

Yes, I did well at Loch Ness last year.  It beat me up though as I was shattered and hobbling for a few days after it!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It's a pretty fast course,same one I did last year at New Brighton,so it is weather dependant but it looks pretty much perfect at the minute so hoping it doesn't change.
    1 of the shops near me sells Polar watches so may go and have a play with one at some point and see what I think.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - probably not your shoes if it's only the one side.  Maybe you just tweaked it in a race or training session, so easily done. Switch to your higher drop shoes for now and avoid walking around in bare feet, and no flip flops  :#  my pet hate as you know.  ;)

Re Loch Ness, yes I remember you saying it took a while to recover last year.

Ian - that's good, I guess you don't want it to be windy in that location.

Good that you can go and see the Polar watches, makes a difference being able to do that.  Let us know what you think about them.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Popped along to the shop and didn't have any of the ones I was interested in stock,waste of a trip.
    Went to go for a run and aswell as my calves still being a little sore,my knee was playing up and didn't feel right at all so decided not to run,hopefully the days rest will fix it.
  • Options
    While I'm deciding what to do about my next race, did a 13 miler this morning. Repeating the last 5 weeks of my HM plan to get me to the start line of the 10k/HM (whatever I decide on!).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Ian - oh that's a shame about the Polar watches.   If you can wait there should be some stands at Berlin Expo with lots of choice so you could have a look then.

Steve - no easing up for you then :'( 

Well I'm exhausted.  Circuits at 6:45 am. and then I had an hour's appointment at 8am for my gym programme.  So for the half hour in between I'd packed a little flask of coffee but the instructor stopped me drinking it before my body composition analysis as apparently caffeine distorts the results.   All very interesting and lots of detailed analysis and a very comprehensive gym programme including homework... the core stuff.   Appointment ended up being 2 hours long by the time we'd gone through everything and they were right he's quite tough and this plan should certainly get me where I want to be.   I told him I want to lose 10ish pounds so my initial targets are to gain 2kg of muscle and lose 5kg of fat.    He wants me to stick to roughly 2,300 calories a day, and log everything on MyFitnessPal for a week or so to see if my protein/carbs/fat ratios are roughly as advised.    Next review booked for 5 weeks time.
    After all that I went food shopping on the way home, am tired now. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Crikey, busy morning there Shades.  As a matter of interest do you know how many calories you consume at the moment?  Will 2300 be more or less, I wonder?

Steve, right back to it there!

Ian, fingers crossed the niggle comes to nothing.  I've not used or looked at Polar watches so no help there at all.

I had a rest day yesterday but went for a 7-miler this morning.  It was a bit blustery but I enjoyed the run out.
  • Options
    Cripes, Shades, that's a busy morning! I must admit I'm feeling a bit guilty as I haven't done yoga or pilates for over a week. Wasn't intentional - I would have gone on Thursday or Friday but was dizzy after that bug bite, then too tired after my parkrun exploits and long run on the weekend, still too tired on Monday and then yesterday I admit I just couldn't be arsed.
    Would have gone today but went out much later to run (it was pissing down early on so I decided I'd wait for 9am when the sun was going to come out;as it was, I didn't manage to shift my carcass outside until nearly 10) so I missed the morning classes.
    A productive session, though - 9 miles with 2 x 2m at LT pace (roughly). Two miles warm-up (easy-steady pace), two LT, one recovery at Chester MP, two more LT, then two to cool down (easy steady again). Felt knackered after that.
    Very hard to gauge the correct pace with my watch readings being all over the place. I still haven't found a way to fix that (and yes I've read the online manual). Pain in the arse. I may end up wearing my old Garmin alongside the new one purely for pacing.
  • Options
    Shades - Busy morning! But probably a lot of interesting information.
    Cal - Sounds like a tough session there!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - out of curiosity I did a rough count yesterday of my average daily calorie intake.  At the moment I've found that I eat 3 meals a day and rarely have a snack and by eating what I am at the moment doesn't give me any energy slumps either.  Intake is 2500 to 3000 a day, and for instance in the last week I've run 50 miles, 2 Pilates and one circuit class and I've lost a pound in weight.  

My fitness Pal is a right faff to set up, but I know will get quicker.

Achilles OK today?

Cal - glad the bite hasn't made you poorly for more than a few days this time.

Maybe trawl the forums or start a thread on RW, you can't be the only one with that query on your Garmin.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades, it has healed (just scabby now). I think Garmin customer support forums would be my best bet, really. RW is a little quiet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, are you doing Manchester next year?  Entries are open now but I'm still in two minds at the moment.

Shades, achilles is no better or worse really. It was fine on the run anyway, but a bit stiff first thing in the morning.

Regarding MFP, once it’s set up it’s okay to use. IE, if you eat similar foods throughout the week, once it’s set up it’s easy to add those foods into the current day’s diary. Many (all though not all) foods can be scanned into the app via the bar code, for example pasta, tinned toms, cereal, etc etc. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry, I meant non RW forums.

Big G - I nearly gave up on MFP, ended up having to uninstall and install it again.  Scanning won't be much good for me, I cook from scratch, don't eat packaged stuff like cereals.

I have a fairly good idea on calories so I can select the nearest to what I've cooked and don't think I'd be too far out.  I will need to up my protein so stocked up on cottage cheese which fortunately I like.

Was a bit shocked at the calories in the swirl of olive oil that I had on my lunch though.  119 calories  :o
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Where is the race you're targeting?
    Shades-Busy morning there,hopefully worthwhile.
    Not so good for me,knee has been bugging me a bit all day,doesn't feel like i've got the full range of motion with it,really bad timing,amazing the way moods can change,I was buzzing after Sunday and now wondering what will happen.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding the club kit, I've actually been in touch with UKA and they've told me that rules have changed in the last month or two.  They've seen an increase in clubs going for different kit designs and so have changed their rules, to fall in line with IAAF which are also changing their rules later this year.  So the official UKA rule now is that club members do not have to run in identical kit, apart from if they're running in a team (so I presume things like relays etc we'd need to all be in the same kit).  I don't know what it means for team prizes, but I'd imagine that would be down to individual races to decide?  For races that don't have team prizes, I can't see why Trotters are obliged to run in the new kit, unless as a club that's what we're imposing.  I have spoken to Chair and he has said that he was initially advised that UKA had said we can only have one registered kit (with a 12 month cross over period), but this new rule is different to that, so I'm bringing it up at Committee on Monday.

After the 7-miler this morning, I went for a 5-miler in new running shoes this afternoon.  They were sitting there in the corner pleading to be ran in ;)  They're the new version 7 of the Asics GT 2000 and are decent, so I'll be on the look for more in any sales.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - don't panic, knees are funny things.  Rest for a day or so then try a gentle run and see how it is.  If you can see or feel any heat or swelling then ice it and elevate when you can. Not much else you can do for a knee.

I often get a niggly knee which can trouble me up and down stairs and grumbling when I stand up and walk, but it's OK when I run.

Big G - you rebel!!  But good for you for finding out.  I think there'll be quite a few complaints so if Trotters change the rules to allow both kits then all will be well.  However your new kit is the same colours as old so wouldn't make any difference when running for team events, I'm sure that would only apply if new kit was very different.

Years ago you could have different colour kit as long as they were registered.  I was in one club and we could choose if we wanted a black or a white vest.

Achilles must be OK if you're doing another double  :)

Good to see YT did well on Sunday winning the 10k after only 3 weeks training, coming back from injury.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, what made me look into it was Lonely Goat Running Club. They’re a virtual club but with a very large number of members. They have 5 or 6 different coloured vests, which are black but the large logo on the back (and smaller one on the front) is a different colour - blue, pink, green, white etc - depending on the individual runner’s preference. They’re affiliated and as far as I know each vest is valid in races, and I wonder if it’s clubs like those which have encouraged UKA to change the rule. Something has obviously changed since Chair was advised so I’m glad I checked, so we’ll see what the committee decide. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've noticed a lot of potholes being done and roadworks by us recently.All made sense today when I seen signs about road closures for the Tour of Britain cycle race,it is literally going past my road,see what the cyclists make of the hills I run up.1 bit confused me though,I'm sure a road they are going up has speed bumps,could be interesting.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sorry to hear about the knee.  If it's not right for Sunday maybe DNS the Half.  There's plenty of time yet for Berlin.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I see quite a few of the Lonely Goat vests in various races, nice vests too.  If I didn't have the Mavericks that club would appeal to me but I don't think they're affiliated to ARC.

I expect UKA's rule re team prizes relates mainly to events such as XC which are highly contested by clubs and important to know if the guy in front of you is in a rival team when sprinting for the finish line.

Ian - that's a great way to get the roads repaired. :)   Hope you get a chance to see them go past.   I haven't checked yet if they're coming near here this year.

6 miles for me this morning, really chilly wind on the way back.   I only did one set of everything at the gym yesterday but I'm aching already today :'(  although I did do a circuits class too.   Mostly my hip flexors and adductors.   I'm planning to do my first session today at the gym but have Pilates first, had planned to do lower body today but I'll see how Pilates goes, might be better doing upper body today.   I know I'm going to have terrible DOMS for the next few days, am dreading that. :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I just had a quick look on the Lonely Goat site, and indeed there is no mention of ARC, but they're affiliated with EA.  I'm obviously going to try and get committee to change their mind but I think one issue may be that members have been buying a lot of the new kit on the assumption that they had to before January, whereas if we change now they may end up saying there was no point in spending money on the new kit....

Just done a 5-miler with the HR monitor on.  I decided to just go out at my normal training pace/effort, not having HR displayed on the watch and with no HR alerts.  It was a normal route with a couple of inclines that I ran up, to see what the results were afterwards.  I'll discount the first mile as HR wasn't right for the first half mile or so (162bpm, even though I was running steadily).

2.  9:49min/mile.  143bpm (mainly uphill)
    3.  9:14min/mile.  143bpm (mainly downhill/flat)
    4.  9:27min/mile.  145bpm (mixed)
    5.  9:41min/mile.  147bpm (mainly uphill).

It wasn't a totally flat route and running slowly up the moderate hills the HR peaked at 158 on a couple of occasions.  73%-79% Max has me at 142-154bpm.  So I'm a bit torn as I feel I need to run up the moderate hills to get better on the hills, but even running slowly/steadily it goes over the higher HR limit.  But it was a nice run out :)