My Last Run

Comments

• Your V02 max will drop quite sharply but your overall stamina won't hurt too much, especially if you can do something else like cycling. You can get it back quite quickly, too.
    And folks, if you flag spam posts as spam, they will get automatically deleted once 5 people have flagged them. So do your duty.

Lloyd parkrun today - arguably London's toughest, and in winter I have no doubt that it is. It's all trail/grass and  I can see sections that would be awful when the mud kicks in. They have cross country races there.
    It's a two lapper with a gentle uphill on a narrow trail through the trees, before turn back on itself, and then there's a much steeper hill before you come back down. The steeper hill wasn't so bad on the first lap but felt tough on the second. I ran it in 26:14 which I'm quite happy with - a low 26 is a good time for me on a hilly, off-road course (I did 27:28 at East Grinstead, which has a similar amount of climb). Age group 2nd, of 14, so that's OK too.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice parkrun Cal,you'll have to go back in winter for a slip and slide fest,great AG finish as well.

Henley Woods parkrun yesterday.A two loop course,which was very compact and tight,not hilly but very tight bends,more like a cross country course. The fisrt part was mostly on grass trails before entering the woods,just as you could build up some speed you had to slow down for a sharp bend.Overall a very enjoyable course.Finished with a time of 22:14 and a 5th placing - obviously all the fast runners had a day off,but I'll take that anyway.

• Seems your doc doesn't have too much of an idea about your knee LTT. I would stick to the break however, certainly if it is still uncomfy.  I supposedly have a higher risk of OA in my right knee due to a bad injury quite a few years ago. If I don't run/exercise for a few days then the joint starts to grumble, it is happier to have regular movement.  Agree with Cal regarding losing fitness, when you do restart, do it gently and no catching up on lost training.

Well done Cal and JD for the parkruns.

I've been out running all days since Monday, nothing special, just getting the miles done.  Exception maybe was a set of "hill" sprints: 6 x 12 x seconds approx. Feel I am lacking a bit in leg strength for those.

Long run later, around 15 miles.
  • JD, avoiding the mud was why I wanted to do it before winter!

A 16 miler for me today - quite chilly - hands were cold for the first two miles. As this was meant to be a bit of an easier effort (no MP miles) I decided to go and explore Mitcham Common. I've been to the fun fair there, but never actually explored the common itself. I got myself there OK (3 miles or so) but had a little trouble finding the bit of the common I wanted to run around. At first I found myself running around a field which was full of Canada Geese, but this didn't seem to lead onto the wilder bit of the common so I crossed the road as there was some more open space there, and found an ancient cinder track and more geese. I ran around the track just because, but this wasn't what I was looking for so I crossed back and carried on up the road, over a bridge and found the common proper.
    Mitcham feels a lot more wild than the other commons I run on - trails are narrow, often stony, and sometimes just stripes of dirt less than hip-width, or they're lumpy grass that is slightly shorter than the surrounding lumpy grass. There's also a whacking great mound/hill in the middle, and a large pond/small lake to which all paths seem to lead.
    I enjoyed running there but my achilles did not like the lumpy ground and the steep bit in the middle and I rolled both ankles (fortunately no damage done) at different points, so this is not a run I'd do in the run-up to an important race, and probably not one I'd do in winter. I can definitely see why they do cross country races here.
    I did take a wrong turn on the way back, too, but I didn't exceed my target mileage and I felt I had plenty left in the tank.
    While this was meant to be a cut-back week, I've still managed 50 miles because I ran 6 days instead of 5.  Next week will definitely be much lower as I have the half on Sunday.
  • Thanks everyone! I got up early and went for a gentle six mile walk through the fields today, very autumnal.
    Yesterday I did a kettle bell workout from youtube, although I had a choice of bronzed adonis or scantily dressed gym girl, both bringing unwelcome comments!
    I'm going to give it until thursday and go for a gentle few miles doing loops of the local cricket pitch on soft grass.
    Just watched the Great  North run, what a great event, I'd love to do that one day, 350 miles away though!

That sounds a great run Cal, glad your ankles were Ok.  That is a huge weekly milage, awesome. Good luck with the half marathon.
    Great daily running Hazlenut, and nice Parkrun JD.  Have nice sunday.
  • JD, great perseverance still,  I am still 4 weeks away from my half and I get what you mean about welcoming the taper. Nice Parkrun, top 5! My only hope of that is to bribe a marshall to send everybody the wrong way.  I had to look up Oswestry, I'd heard of it, but wasn't sure where it was. Not likely to be in my next 5 Parkruns.

Cal, I take water on most runs, just because I don’t want it to be a distraction and I get very hot :-(  You are smashing your Parkruns out of the erm, park right now. Another super time. All the hard work really paying off for you at the 5k distance and no doubt you’ll feel the benefit in next week’s half.  How’s the Garmin?
    Oh and Thanks for the info re: the spam post. 

LTT, sorry to hear about your woes. We can all empathise with you. Work for me is always up and down and running has really helped bring a good distraction . I hope it starts to ease and you can get back into it. If you use Strava there is a chrome extension called elevate that gives you some insight into fitness. Perhaps you can find some form of cross training, maybe swimming, to help. With you on the Great North Run, worth the pilgrimage. I am considering a few overseas events next year (will probably only do one). 

Nice fast runs Hazel, I really enjoy those kind of intervals. My wife has a similar risk with her knee having had an op and may need a knee replacement in the future. It's holding back her C25K.

Few runs from me. A couple along the seafront at Noordwijk, which is just set up for running. A lovely trail with nice dunes and glimpses of the sea. I had 5 mins bursts in HR Zone 4 which was fun. Sadly the last one was mainly uphill and back into the wind I’d enjoyed at my back going out! Friday I did a gentler 5k on the same route and yesterday a recovery run. There are some benefits to the management team offsites I go to. Next week I am in Luton Hoo!

Today was my long run, 19.1k, with a quarter of every mile at a higher HR with no real route in mind. I went through Primrose Hill, Regent’s Park, Fitzrovia. Pall Mall, a small loop in Green Park and a full loop of St. James Park with a little of the Mall thrown in. Then back home. The route looks like a dodgy pub crawl.  Good fun crossing Oxford Street, I’ve rarely seen runners there!  No major wildlife aside from the RP geese and a lot of tourists. 
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi All. Loads of top running going on. Great stuff. I hope your knee holds up, Linton. Don't push it too soon, although that's easier said than done

A couple of easy midweek runs for me and then yesterday my mate and I attempted the first leg of our Norfolk Coastal Path adventure. The brown North Sea whipping up into white horses at 7am on Hunstanton prom wasn't very appealing but we zipped up and got on with it. Knowing some stretches of the path quite well, I didn't bother getting hold of an OS map. Let's just say it's already on order for the next leg!

A grand mix of beach, saltmarsh, dunes, shingle, sinking mud and the odd patch of firm ground made it a real strength builder. We leapt creeks, waded up to our arses across boat channels and jumped over a wall and legged it through a private garden to get back on track. My trainer that got removed in a filthy quag, was fortunately saved by my mate, Martin, but it will never be the same again. All in all the predicted 18 miles turned into 22, but we made it to the pick up point and agreed it was an absolute blast.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nice exploration and good mileage Cal. Hope the ankles are ok.

Caught the tail end of the GNR coverage whilst ironing LTT. Weather looked nice. Your plan to start out sounds ok, doing loops you can bail out if necessary.

Nice running enrvuk. Luton does sound less exotic.

Quite an adventure Will! Built many a sandcastle on Hunstanton beach as a kid.

Just short of 15 miles in 2:08 today. Quite a bit cooler than of late so hydration points less of an issue. Glad I took some armsleeves with me as with two minor soakings from showers I got a bit cold despite upping the pace a bit in the second half. Don't care if they look a bit errm odd, useful bit of equipment!  Pretty quiet out just a few people out for an afternoon amble and some chickens freely ranging in the farmyard I ran through. Level crossing there didn't reopen for ages, was tempted to nip across the line but didn't.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    So behind on this thread, sorry. Hope everything is going okay for everyone.
    Seem to have been doing more gym work than running this year. Running feels arduous, though takes up less time. I'm about 9lbs heavier than this time last year which explains the sluggishness.
    Anyway 9.5miles today. Sunny. Lots of families with little kids on bikes - one I came close to barrelling into. Also nearly taken by a car door opening. People painting fences and windows here and there.
  • Hey JT! Those little kids wobbling around on bikes and scooters are the bane of my life. (along with little dogs). I try to avoid running during the school run.

Great running, Will - I don't think I'd have liked the getting wet part. I'm basically a cat - I avoid water as much as possible.

Hazelnut - I'm quite interested in sleeves myself. In colder weather, I've put my club vest over a long sleeve top but given the vest is white, green and blue and the top is neon yellow, I'd rather have something that looks a bit better, really. What kind of sleeves do you use?

enrvuk - I'm not keen on Central London runs, honestly. One of my club's Sunday long run routes goes from Battersea to Hyde Park, and I hated having to stop to cross roads and breathing in all the traffic fumes. I can't imagine what Oxford Street would have been like.

8 miles today. Groin is niggling quite a bit, though it's more after I've stopped than when I'm running. I guess it hasn't much appreciated me doing four 50-55 mile weeks in a row. This week will be less as I have the first of my Autumn halves on Sunday.
  • Nice to see you JT.  Maybe the gym work has contributed to your extra weight - more muscles?  Little kids on bikes are almost as bad as dogs! (at least they don't bite - normally at least)

That is good mileage Cal.  Cut back week before your half will do you good.  Will think about sleeve details - I have about 5 pairs in the meantime (some of them freebies/presents).  Some fleecy lined ones for colder weather and some thiner ones just to cover the skin. 

Group run yesterday evening with a couple of warm up miles on my own for about 8.5 miles in total.  Good turnout of around 8 but it was nice weather again.
  • 10 miles today, fairly easy pace. Had to dodge a lot of kids as I didn't manage to get out until nearly 7 and so the last few miles were during the school run. Joy. Mostly teens today - only one little kid wobbling on a bike, whom I gave a wide berth.
    Got a massage booked later - hoping it'll help with the niggles.
  • Great run Cal and Hazlenut, hello JT!

Went for it and did 7 gentle miles on soft grass (about half round the boundry of our local cricket pitch and the other half round the local rec, a larger expanse of green, housing 4 football pitches). Felt GREAT to be out running badly, but still running.

A bit sore today, but not too awful. Knee aching rather than painful.  If I've turned the corner I will be so happy, the last 2 weeks with no running have been hard.

I'm going to try and train solely on grass for the next couple of months, it seems way more tiring but so much more cushioned.  Hopefully I can heal.

I have pulled my back doing lunges, which I thought might help my knee.  It never ends!

I had to dodge numerous dogs yesterday Cal, the downside to running round parks I guess. It was nice to put a litre of water down though rather than carry it.  Hope the massage was good. 

I like the idea of sleeves for the cold winter months Hazlenut, I'm a bit more conscious of joints and the cold this year.  Must buy some tights soon too for this winter. The question there is shorts over the top or all on show!

Have a great week.  Going to try 5 grass miles on Friday then, after seeing how that goes a longish one Sunday.  Going to get sick of the sight of football pitches soon but still overall happy.
  • That's good news! To be honest, always found lunges hurt my knees. Probably better to do step-ups.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hope you continue to fix yourself quicker than you're breaking yourself Linton.
    Not sure I can pass off the extra pounds as muscle Hazel. I can gauge my weight by belly button depth. It's currently like a back way in to Narnia.
    Directly from reading the mileage here I went for a long run. 16miles in 2hrs10. Not fast but pace was consistent throughout. Had bits of Radiohead, Kate Bush and Talking Heads albums going through my mind to keep tempo. Went out to a stretch of bridleway I've never run before. Tiring but pleasant.
  • I like your weight check method JT.  Haven't been on a scales for a while myself.  As long as my trousers still fit I'm happy.  Don't break yourself upping the mileage too much.  Must have been nice to explore a new route.

Careful LTT, not too much mileage if your are still dealing with your niggle.  Soft ground is a good idea for the general jolting, don't twist anything on any bumps though.  Lol to the tights with and without shorts, maybe our male regulars can help you on that debate! 

Re. lunges or any other exercises - I guess the important thing is to get the technique right - slow and controlled rather than fast and jerky as well - otherwise you risk damaging yourself further.

Midday 10 miler yesterday with 2 sets of 5 x long strides (approx 150m).   Found the intial miles a bit of a chore but got them done, the remainder with the strides and cool down went better as I had to concentrate more and not just do left foot - right foot.  Cycled to and from my run and was overtaken trundling back up the hill by an elderly guy - must have been 75+ but I didn't dare to ask after exchanging greetings!  Kudos to him for not using an E-bike, he has probably been cycling for more than 60 years without.  Back to annoyingly warm weather again.  Go away summer!  

Short recovery run later and hill-race tomorrow.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Fantastic run Will,that's more like a tough mudder,sounds as you had a great day.

enrvuk - think I'd like to go running through central London,so much to see,maybe too much of distraction though.

Great running Hazelnut,some great long runs.That old guy must be fit if he's been riding all his life up and down those hills.

JT, I'd say that 16 miler is still shifting it somewhat.Like how you check your weight,haven't weighed myself for years,like Hazelnut,if my trousers fit I'm happy.

Cal,that's great solid four weeks of running.Which half are you doing ?Hope your groin is ok.

Linton,good idea to just run on grass for the next month,just don't push it too much though,as you still don't know what's caused this injury.I don't wear shorts over my tights,I don't particularly like wearing them but come in handy when really cold.My girls always have a good laugh at me when I start wearing them.

Been a busy week so I've only ran 15 miles so far.Ten was from yesterday's double session.5 easy miles in the morning and then hill sprints in the evening with my club.Want to try and finish the week on 50 miles and then I can start my taper.

• Just a couple of leg-twirlers to report this end - 4 miles each. I'm off to Bristol at the weekend for the Half. Lovely course and good people there.

Current belly button depth: 3.4 metres.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Some good running from you lot. I've actually lost some weight over the summer - below 10 stone for the past few weeks. My yoga pants are a bit baggy.
    Good luck in Brizzle, Will.
    I'm doing Richmond (Runfest - there are many Richmond halves but I've done this one for the past 5 years as it's a nice one - first three miles in Kew Gardens and then it goes down the Thames, back a bit, through Ham House's grounds and finishes in Old Deer Park. Excellent bling and shirts at this one too).
    Groin was better after the massage but didn't like yoga yesterday. It was fine for my run this morning but then I decided to pick litter off our drive and it didn't much like doing that either, so I cancelled today's yoga as I don't want to upset it before tomorrow's parkrun and Sunday's race.
    Run (6 easy miles) was rather pleasant as I got myself out in time to see the sunrise and avoid all the little kids on bikes. I came up behind a very fragrant lady and recognised the scent as Mitsouko, one of the perfumes I wore a lot in my youth (which I still have a bottle of) so I asked her and she said it was. Been a while since I dabbed on some perfume - I'm always in sportswear these days.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Will,should have the perfect running conditions this weekend.

That seems a really nice course,Cal.I don't know it but it sounds picturesque.My wife was only saying last week I don't wear aftershave now,I said it's not worth it always showering after a run or gym session.Good luck as well.

20 miles this morning,16 miles @ MP,not sure if that was a good idea but it's done now.Legs felt good at MP,soon as I slowed down for my final 4 miles my legs tightened up.But good run overall.
  • Two runs to report.  A 5 miler and a luck-pushing 11.75 miler early this morning, both predominantly on grass.  Knee seems to be on the mend I hope, hips are killing me! Presumably due to the sudden change of surface making me run totally differently to bouncing down the pavement.

I've seen hundreds of dogs of dozens of breeds since running parks only;  Labradors want to run with me, spaniels want to bounce, happily, Westies and Jack russels wanting to go toe to toe.  Plus many I can't identify.  It is boring doing loops, but I'm just so glad I can.

Great running as always Hazlenut, I agree old active people are really inspirational.  At the Folkstone 10 there was a guy getting round who was 82, and looked it. I gave him a big cheer, but doubt he needed it. Life goals.  Good luck with hill race, going to be warm.

Great running JT, do love a bridlepath. I'm sure you'll knock the timber off quickly with the long runs.

Have a great time in Bristol Will. Funnily enough I was there the other week for a mates 40th (whose moved there) and to go to their Downs festival in Clifton.  A lot of signage for the half marathon was up.  I tried to get my mates to sign up to that for a semi-healthy lads weekend, but no takers!  Agree with you about Bristol, great city and good people. Looks to be quite undulating? Enjoy.

Have a great run at Kew Gardens Cal, I remember going there as a kid and being facinated by the big carp!  I'm with you about fragrance/sportswear.  Funny how my life has changed.  I look forward to my weekend dawn long run more than almost anything now.  

I'm with you about an overseas event enrvuk. Prague is me and the other half's favourite City, and their half marathon looks epic! Her birthday is the same week. I wonder if I can combine........

Have a happy weekend.

• Well done Linton - I'd do some strength work on those hips if I were you. I'm always getting hip and groin grumbles - comes of having lazy glutes that have been sat on for far too many years.
    I'm primarily a cat person but I like dogs too, as long as they're not trying to trip me up or barking. I'm pretty good on dog breeds (my dad used to take me to Crufts as a kid, back when it was in London) but if I see a nice one I don't recognise I often ask the owner. More often than not, it'll be some kind of poodle cross - I seem to like those, apparently!

JD, my legs always do better when I run faster. I think I'm just biomechanically more efficient at speed so it may be the same for you. My achilles barely registers at parkrun unless there's a hill (like at Lloyd last week).

I did South Norwood parkrun today, which isn't too far away. It's a super park and you wouldn't know it was in London but for the Crystal Palace mast sticking up over the trees. It's mostly flat, and mostly on stony trail but there's also a stretch on humpy grass and a little grassy hill at the end of each lap (it's a two-lapper).
    I met another parkrunner on the tram going there so we had a nice talk and he managed to get the sub-23 he was hoping for (he's a V60) while I went under 25 again, with a time of 24:53. I was 4th lady and 1st VW50 so I'm pretty happy with that.
    I also met the guy I met at Lloyd last week but he didn't stick around at the end so I only saw him for a minute or two. At least he made it to his local parkrun in the end (even if he forgot his barcode).
    Looking good for Richmond tomorrow.
  • Good luck for tomorrow Cal and Will!

Like the idea of leg twirlers.

16 @ mp is a toughie JD. If you got through that well you are in a good place for your mara I think.

Nice chatty post from you LTT, glad the knee is basically ok.

Another good parkrun and 1st F50 Cal, well done.

Hill race went great yesterday. 10.2k in 57:13 with 500m ascent (and 2 k of fast descent).  Managed my highest placing in my age category (F45) yet with 2., just 10 seconds behind 1st. She was a few metres ahead most of the way, if I had known it was her then I would fought her for it harder. Didn't have much left to fight with though.  Good conditions, if anything a bit warm initially but got cold waiting for my teammates and then the bus down (too dark to run).  A whole carload from my Tuesday group went, so plenty of pre and post race chat.

Have a good Sunday!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Linton, a good sign that you're on the mend, no major reaction after doing a long run.Plenty of dogs if I'm running on the canal,never had a problem with any of them,always well behaved.

Cal,strange isn't it,felt easier running @ MP than the last slow few miles.Another good parkrun from you,great AG placing.I take my girls to Crufts,always gundog day,they love going,does cost me a small fortune though.Hope you have a good race tomorrow.

Fantastic result Hazelnut,tough race by the sounds of it.Bet your quads will be sore after 2k of descent.Did you get a prize for coming second F45?

8 miles recovery run this morning,not much to report,canal was very busy with boaters and cyclists,which always is after the kids go back to school,usually people of retirement age taking advantage of the cheaper prices.
  • Fantastic, Hazelnut, you're going really well at the moment.
    Thanks JD - we'll see what happens eh?
  • So it wasn't my fastest half. Conditions weren't bad (a bit warmer than I'd like towards the end, but there was plenty of shade and a bit of a breeze off the Thames) and I managed to stick to my pace for 11 miles. But then I started to feel as though I couldn't get enough air in my lungs. I'm not asthmatic but there were a lot of dusty gravel paths and I think the combination of that and all the marathon miles in my legs took a toll and I slowed down.
    Some of that was mental - by the end I felt like I couldn't be arsed. Came in at 1:55:06.

Still, I'm OK with it. It's still my third fastest half, and my fastest time over this course (this is the fifth year I've run it). Kingston Half in three weeks should give me a better chance of a PB since it ought to be a little cooler and the surfaces are better.
    A little annoyed that they wouldn't let me have the man's finisher T-shirt, which is blue, and I had to take the woman's, which is white, which I dislike as it goes grey after a few washes. :/

• Well done Cal that's awesome! Very well done.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Well done Cal a 3rd fastest HM and a course PB is a great result, good practice for Kingston. Shame about the T shirt. 

I won a voucher for a large supermarket chain here JD. Don't know how much is on it though, hopefully something at all!

Just short of 7 miles recovery yesterday evening and 10 miles with gentle progression this evening.  Shorter week due to racing on Friday.  Big week coming up trainingwise so rest day tomorrow. Still warm here but as the sun goes down earlier it also cools down earlier.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Good HM Cal. 8miles something today. Not warm up north. Ran some streets I've never run before past and around the football stadium. My breathing hasn't been great for a few months. I get some mild asthma but most of the time it's completely absent. Lately though I've felt some strain. It's all making running a bit of chore so trying to find any changes of scenery to freshen things up. There was a banana skin on the pavement that I successfully avoided.