Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bad news Pete - stop, temporarily, rather than give up, presumably.And have a spell getting it strengthened?

Won't feel it right now, but there's always a comeback - between the people on here, and yourself, we've had a few!

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Physio means no more racing/ fast parkruns permanently. Says each calf strain is making it more and more likely to recur and the fact I can't even do many calf raises on that side even when it isn't injured is indicative of long term weakness. Sounds drastic to me but she knows her stuff; we'll see. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Sounds very drastic! There has to be some sort of strengthening that can be done? Or just deal with the calf "going" every so often, but still allowing you some sort of racing career? Or maybe even a change of habit - be it, changing distance, not doing back to back combos etc?

Trev Hunter, local legend was told by an Aus physio he should quit years ago due to a bad hip thing, then he went and won a trail half marathon a week or 2 after, and continues to turn out well on the local scene to this day.

While my boys Wycombe Wanderers just recently signed on a guy who'd defied physio orders to retire, and that's at pro level!

Unrelated scenarios, but hopefully some hope in there from potentially hopeless situations.

So keep spirits up for now.

• Pete - that sounds a complete bastard! Hopefully, and despite knowing her stuff, your physio is erring on the side of caution rather than making a definitive prognosis. You know your own body better than anyone, so take the downtime, re-assess and see how it goes.

For what it's worth, I was told  by a senior surgeon at St George's hospital that I needed major knee surgery that would see me unable to exercise for 6 months, recover for another 6 and be unlikely to cycle competitively again ever. That was 30 years ago. I was so put off by the thought of the surgery and the recovery time that I never quite got round to it and yet, despite this 'expert' prognosis, I'm still cycling and running and that knee is about the least of my niggles! 

Experts can guide you and give you sensible and considered advice, but their knowledge, whilst extensive and valuable, is rarely definitive. They will often not fully understand the difference our own drive and motivation can make to their atypical, case driven, view of the impact and effect of a typical injury. As statistical outliers to their clinical norm, we need to challenge their views with a critical eye and, in the end, make judgements on what we do for ourselves. 
  • Pete, that's an absolute bugger. It does seem pretty drastic, but only you will know how you fare with the injury and a potential return - however, while the fact she's been your physio for so long does add some weight to her view on it, it could well be worth seeing someone else and get their opinion. Each physio has different stances on how to treat injury, and may offer some food for thought!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Thanks guys. I'm certainly not going to just give up without getting any more views. Something has to change though as even the races I have completed in  the last 3 months have finished in pain. Most (including last weeks HM which was a success by recent standards) have been so bad it is tough to walk back to the car and out of the question to run a warm down.  

When it's a proper full on calf strain it is taking longer and longer to recover. It is not even parkrun/race combos or too many races SG; I've not done a double weekend for ages now. Anyway early days and will know more in a week or so.

Suppose there has to come a time to call it a day and if it comes to that then there are positives too; not least less pressure, and less pain. Some ex competitive folk I know nowadays run 'races' and parkruns very much within themselves and are there to enjoy not compete. Who knows; maybe that's a preferable way to partake in this sport?

• Oh Pete that’s a complete arse, feel for you, but I think Bus summed it up well in his post. Give it a bit of time and see how it feels. Of course there is lots of enjoyment you can still get from running non competitively, something to think about. 

Had a crack at a sub 17 at our local trail like Parkrun at Rushmere. Only 4 are in the club currently. Knew it would be tough and felt ok. It’s a 2 lapper, running it you think your times should be faster, but it’s a bit deceptive, especially the end, saw 16.20 on the watch, thought it was in the bag, but ended up with 17.04. So 5th fastest time wise, but up to 2nd age graded with 84.6%. My 9 year old is finally getting there now, did 29.00 last week and somehow pulled out a 26.47 this week, so he was well chuffed being the first JM10. He’s been over at Bedford & County training with their kids in the summer so it’s starting to pay off. 

SG- I hear our loanee was decent yesterday, feel a bit better for seeing Defoe take the piss at yours when we had him on loan back in 00-01 season ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - sc is right, just running alone is a joy. But hopefully that's a plan b down the line!

Sc must be a hard course if youre seeing over 17. Less hard than Tring presumably?

We have rolando arrans from Newcastle who everyone is excited about but your guy hard to spell and pronounce looks superb. He came on for 35mins or so after the ref missed our player laid out cold with a head injury while they scored a goal! Scandalous. Luckily we're looking powerful this year with new owners and eased to a 3-1.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    14 today. Up to Beaconsfield with a little wander out midway then back. 7.10 pace so the long run pace is creeping down a bit. Must be getting a little stronger with the 3x70m weeks banked.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pete - sorry to hear that. But defo worth a 2nd and 3rd opinion. If you have been pushing through issues without doing much to correct them, Then there is hope, it might be tougher if you have tried lots of different paths. I think you have strength gains to make esp as you say you can only do minimal calf raises without issues. You might have a lot to gain from proper s and c, possibly some masssge to remove any scar tissue, and then some slower running. You can work hard on a bike/turbo and then run easy. You can still race well off that type of regime. Best wishes anyway.

SG - you do like to do your long runs at a clip.

23 for me yday, 10 today.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Tr - it's always the same with long runs. You look at others and think..ooh that's a bit sharp  :dizzy:

A guy who just did a 1.28 ph half went out with a fast club mate today and recorded 6.54 for 10.5miles with talk of being "comfortable".

Similarly ill see people race around 1.23 talking of "slow" runs and putting in 730!

I always think you need a minute minimum between hm race pace and "easy" pace, so I'm comfy im keeping to that. As long as it's not pushing and is how it comes out it's ok. Shorter runs tend to come out slower as momentum can build, especially when you get warmer and even more so when the second half is down.

Pre wokey half in 2018 i found my 15milers on the flat were starting to break 7 average. I felt good off those.

If you're over doing the paces, higher miles and quality sessions would soon let you know!

Nice combo for you!
  • Matthew HeadMatthew Head ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    That's a tidy weekend total for you TR, and good long miles SG.
    I'm with you in seeing unreasonable paces for "easy" or long runs all over the place, buy equally it took me a long time to learn. I'm currently seeing my easy runs coming in at lower effort for the same sort of pace. Several months back, 7:45s would put me near a 75%MaxHR average, whereas now it's around 70%, which is nice. It makes it very tempting to pick up the pace, but that defeats the object.

A session for me today, which felt strange on a Sunday! I've not actually done a long run for some weeks now.
    12 x 1min (1min), although the session was originally 10 but I was feeling good and misjudged one of my turn around points, so thought I'd do an extra couple reps. They came out at an average of 5:46/mi, first half feeling comfy, but then definitely working towards the end.

Enjoyed watching the GNR this morning too.
  • Sorry about that calf Pete, I reckon the physio is probably trying to shock you into at least heeding the original advice. Maybe if you just dropped the parkrun nonsense, you could drop most of your races and still be racing more than I do.

My running continues to feel awful and it's pretty limited. Struggled to do 10k yesterday. Weighed in at 77kg this morning, 5kg heavier than my last race in May. Triathlon next weekend should be interesting!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Just to echo the sympathy Pete. That advice is too drastic though, there surely has to be reassessment as you progress through the recovery period. Hopefully, this news will be enough to shock you in to stopping for a while, recovering, and then seeing where you are. Seems very hard for me to believe that one weekend you can be running an 86 HM and the next you’re out of racing forever....

I was beaten by a whippersnapper at parkrun yesterday who ran a PB of about a minute from his last run a month ago! He did look to slow a bit around 3.5 km and I thought I’d get him, I was nowhere near in the end! At least he dragged me to my second fastest Upton (of 50) as part of a 10 mile sandwich. 23 and bits today, 78 for the week and for one week only I’m a bit like TR 😎
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - im more mp + 90sec for long runs, but i do take them easy.

MH - nice Sunday session.

Wool - nice work. A 78m week that contained a 23 and a BAC session is great esp it being the week after a 1/2. That 1/2 shows ~2.50 pace, so a few more weeks with a BAC session and a 23 will set you up.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Great training TR and Wool and thanks for the advice. You two must be well set for great marathons soon. 

The biggest issue for me Wool is how shite I've been after every race for months. Even last weeks HM I could barely walk after or the next 2 days. Never used to be like that. Have actually known my calf was about to go for a couple of weeks and pretty much said it on here; Was a tough call whether to run the HM and wouldn't have but for the England vest. Having got away with that suppose Reg is spot on with his view of  the senseless attempt at running a flat out pr the next weekend☹. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR - ironically today i woke up very slightly sniffy and thought about how it can always come out slower with no worries. So a pleasant surprise to see how it came out at the effort feel.

Wool you training animal. And still you think it's all about the shoes  :D

Pete - hopefully us all carrying on the training logs is ok in your time of doubt! I know it will be because you're one of the most encouraging guys out there!

All i know with injuries is you have to go into rehab mode and get right before stepping back up.
    I remember Harry, one of the early days posters having a long issue with a calf but he got back 100%.

Without professing to be a medical expert if it was a joint you could imagine a less encouraging prognosis but a muscle surely has more scope to work with.

Mh- extra reps! You animal!.
    Were you planning on doing GSR in the end?

Reg - you've had a long spell of this malaise now. Maybe all of us advising you to go bigger on the running side were wrong and you had a great balance with the tri as you were?
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Of course SG; enjoy hearing how well training and racing is going for you guys. 

Not sure I was one who advised Reg to do more running; may have suggested he had great potential to get down to comfortably sub 1'15 HM with an injury free run but it doesn't match the bike potential. Some of the times there like the 28mph TT or whatever it was were astonishing. 
  • I agree - Reg has great running potential, but never seems to get the run of luck needed injury wise, but the bike times leave my gast well and truly flabbered!

Cracking long runs and long weeks TR and Wool! SG - solid 14, and I think that pace is spot n if it's feeling comfortable to you.  Session on a Sunday Matt? How very dare you :smiley:

A late in the day, hungover and tired leg LSR today. As predicted it was messy! Didn't manage the planned 17, but 16.2 with lots of hills will do even if they were done  VERY slowly!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Bus - as dedicated as I appear - I'd really struggle to do a sunday run in the midday-later afternoon window.

Although I do remember for whatever reason - maybe a day or 2 extra recovery - Moz back in the day setting me a couple of 16milers on Fridays, which I did after work!

• I quite like evening runs - but maybe not a long one :smile:  That said, some of my 20-23M marathon runs were Friday evening jobs after work as well - the stuff of nightmares!!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Bus, im a morning runner only at weekends.

I tend to run commute home one day and back the next, twice a week, so regularly do 13 to 15 (with the odd 18) as a run commute home. Its not so bad when its light !
  • That's a tidy weekend too, Wool, especially with the incentive to chase someone down at parkrun!

Nicely toughed out on the post-beers run Bus. You're hardier than I am, I'd just skip it if I were feeling too hungover!

I'm always impressed when I read/see you guys on Strava getting the miles done early doors. Mornings have never been my friend - was very tough to do that session the week before last!

SG, yep - on for GSR! Logistics have been worked out, staying with friends who live near Gosport. Might even try the ferry over, rather than the drive! 
    In the run up to GSR, I've got: not the flattest 5mi on the 15th, a pretty fast 5mi on the 29th, Plymouth 10k on the 6th, then GSR. There isn't much scope of long runs among that, so I'm not sure about the endurance side for the 10mi, but I guess I've gotta trust the sessions/runs that come up in the build!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    MH - agreed, get the ferry across. Its approx 2m from there, so a wu jog, and much easier than a traffic jam through portsmouth. (I live at the top of portsmouth just off the island), but I'll be at Abingdon on that day.
  • Pete, hope all works out OK. Where I saw you at Black Park is actually very close to the start: the course twist and turns so even though it is a one lapper you are never more than about 1km from the start. 

15 miles for me yesterday almost all off-road: up early and it is starting to feel a little chilly so had a t-shirt on instead of a vest for the first time in months. Went through two golf courses and an interesting comparison of signs: one said "Users of the footpath please beware of balls flying from the left" and the other said "Please beware of public on the footpath". Agree much more with the sentiment of the latter.
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

SG - Our parkrun is a bit weird as it has got deceptive slight uphills and one big downhill. But I suppose there's a few twists and turns that slows you up, plus the traffic 2nd lap.

Decent LSR yesterday, upping it a bit to 14 miles. Well I presume it was because I ran for 1 hour 38 mins. Usually do them on 7mm, might measure it later ;) GNR coverage was average as usual. Top 5 then the chaaariddy runners (yawn). I'm going to hell :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil - deffo right about the sudden dip in temp. I even went in a t shirt today! Me!

Having said that I'm still a little on that coldy borderline so was dripping cold sweat from early doors.

Looking at the 4th week of a base period in 2010, it had the first sesh on the Wed, a 6.5m fartlek within a 10miler (instead of a separate MP and single 10 Tue to Wed) - and 12x300m hills on the Fri.

May follow that after 3 straight MP/Threshold runs, and kiss some quicker speeds for 0.5m to 1mile , but with easy portions in between. That might be a better use of Dorney Lake than a straight continous job. We'll see though.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SC - always going to be the way isn't it.
    The percentage of "pure" runners like you who give even the vaguest care about club runners/lower down elites will be massively dwarfed by people watching the hard luck and good luck stories.

Most shocking thing was when they said how some runners had taken 50mins to get through the start line! Just wow!
  • Stevie G said:

Looking at the 4th week of a base period in 2010, it had the first ...

I think this just sums up the level of running geekery that I enjoy about this forum!

Impressive long running going on, saw one from SteveW on Strava too that stood out.

If I was playing golf at the course Phil, you'd probably need to check for balls coming from all directions.

I appreciate the comments on the bike results, particularly as the cycling comforts the disappointment on the running side. I don't regret focusing on running at all. It was a decision predicated on circumstance as much as anything else. I was out of work and couldn't justify splashing cash on Ironman events etc and also at my age the opportunity to reach somewhere near the running potential is diminishing. I also got a 10k PB out of it that edges me a bit closer to where I think I should be PB wise.

I am looking forward to some hard cycle training over the winter and I'd love to break the 30mph mark for a 10 miler, seems doable.

If I don't fall off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Stevie G said:

Looking at the 4th week of a base period in 2010, it had the first ...

I think this just sums up the level of running geekery that I enjoy about this forum!

In fairness, I am following it, rather than just digging out a random period of history :D