Running after broken Fibula

Hi, I broke my fibula in 2 places 7 weeks ago, had my cast removed 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if anyone had a similar injury and how long it took them  to start running again? I can walk 2 miles now , it’s still a little sore which is to be expected and I have a lot of muscle wastage Which I’m working on. Thank you 

Comments

• Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hi alib1975, I broke my ankle (Weber B fracture) in summer 2015. Had it fixed with a plate 6 days later. First running (10 steps at a time of jogging, barefoot on grass) 12 weeks later. Walk-jogging about 1.5 miles by 16 weeks, completed a parkrun 2 or 3 weeks after that, up to 10-mile run three weeks later, 20 miles 4 weeks after that, 26 miles a couple of weeks later - so about 6 months from fracture to being able to run a marathon (I'm an ultramarathon runner) - and ran a 70% age-graded parkrun a week after that.
    NOTE: do the physio exercises religiously for both strength and flexibility - it's really important to fully regain ankle flexibility or you'll end up with another injury).
    Good luck!