My Last Run

Comments

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great result Cal,should set you up nicely for Kingston.Maybe get in touch with the organisers about the t shirt,they must have loads left over.

Just over 8 miles this morning,which included 4 mile repeats @ 10kp.Very cool and drizzly,kept seeing reports of the warm weather down London - not up here!

• Thanks JD...and nah, can't be bothered really. Not like I don't have more race shirts than I can wear in a week anyway!
    JT, you wouldn't have liked Vienna Marathon - some of the water stations had bananas. Wet banana skins everywhere!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    At least one person must have run the Vienna marathon with a drawn on pencil mustache and in a trenchcoat. And if they haven't I will.
    8.35miles today in just under 1hr03. A bit quicker than yesterday. Again around Bootham Crescent "stadium" (the heady height of National League North) exploring any joining paths between streets and nooks and crannies. Not the most picturesque of areas but nevertheless. Sunny out. My Garmin seems to have a problem with one particular track - today and yesterday same thing with my pace falling away noticeably for the section.
  • You should! They don't really go in for costumes over there - I saw one guy dressed as Mozart and that was about it (he may have been doing the half, though).
    Garmins are funny like that - there's one stretch of Tooting Common where it always thinks I'm going slower than I am but it corrects once I get past that bit.
  • 10 miles this morning - dark when I started, sunny when I finished. Managed to avoid most of the school children.
    Just realised I have a dental check-up this afternoon. :(
  • Do you take on any fuel during half marathons Cal? I never do but often flake out really hard towards the end.

Great morning 10 miler!

My right hip is now awful, an aborted run last night.  More random injury/pain!  So frustrating!
    Going to try again tonight.

Bought a cheese sandwich and got a commemorative 50p change that celebrates Roger Bannister's 4minute mile.  Going to keep that.  Watched Kamworer's half marathon record while eating cake.
  • *that should have read "Great morning 10 miler, Cal"
    My run last night lasted 2.5 miles.
  • No, I don't. I used to take a gel or two but that was when I did them fasted. Now I've figured out I can tolerate some oats a few hours before, I don't bother.
    Where is the hip pain? Is it towards the front, just below the iliac crest?
  • Hi All, been a little while. LTT, you are so eager! Does sound like your injuries have been relatively minor, but easing back in occasionally wouldn't go a miss :-) 

Pretty good half Cal, 1:55 when you 'couldn't be arsed at the end'! I've also had an experience which felt almost asthmatic when running, but that was in June. Bloody ridiculous about the t-shirt. Some of the women at my club have been talking about how unflattering a lot of tech t-shirts are. 

Hazel, brilliant running. That is great and a podium/prizewinner status. Pretty close to first as well. You may have to join the elite forum if you keep this up.

JT, bootham crescent is the scene of my team's most famous cup exit. Shame to see York in the lower leagues.

JD swap the weather with you! Had a pretty warm few days over the last week, not my thing or Cal's!

Fingers crossed the leg twirl was the perfect prep for the half Will. 

Had a patchy week, couple of runs while staying at Luton Hall Spa for work. One with two younger colleagues and another after a few very decent whiskies on the firm. Then the weekend was in Brussels and I managed to get one run in around Bruxelles Park by the royal palace. Too much drinking isn't helping, but out at pubs last night and tonight (won a quiz tonight) and stuck to Alc Free beer! Oh one 10 miler with speed play. Overall feels like I've gone backwards a little this week, so the next few days are important before heading to Turkey on holiday.
  • Hope the dentist check up won't be too costly Cal.

If your speed fell away on some bits JT, did you get Usain Bolt tendencies on the next bits?  Nice exploring again.

Could have done with your cool weather JD.  Mile repeats @10k pace sound a bit ouchy.

Kamworer won a 10 miler here in the Spring LTT.  I wasn't running myself but spectated, couldn't get a decent photo of him - much too fast!  I don't normally take on fuel in HMs either, you could try taking a gel but you need to try this in training first (ideally doing some HM paced running so you know if your stomach will take it).

Long way off of the more elite threads for me enrvuk (though I do lurk on some of them for motivation).  I have run a few course PBs on the hill races this year but have also been lucky that I have moved up an age category (5 year cut offs in that case) and the current one is much weaker than the one I was in. 

Interesting regarding the asthmatic feelings: I have had breathing issues this year on a number of runs myself.  From recovery pace up to LT work where I have been breathing far too hard for the effort I was doing up to almost having a panic attack.  Must be something in the air (other than the heat on regular occasions).  Nice running from you.

Crap run for me yesterday evening.  Had to wait until almost 7pm to go out due to yet another warm-hot day.  Plan was to do a warm up then 40 mins @ LT pace and a cool down.  After yet another crap day at work I couldn't get my head around it, had the above mentioned breathing issues and canned it after 4k @LT pace (should have been around 9).  Called myself a piece of shit a few times and wanted to sit in the middle of the path and bawl my eyes out but there were too many dog walkers around.  Need to get a grip on myself I guess.
  • It was the quickest dentist appointment ever! Didn't need anything, not even a clean. After last year's £1000 bill after the popcorn accident, it's a relief.

Hazelnut, sounds like the run was too much after a stressful day at work. An easy-paced run would have been more the ticket. Cut yourself some slack.

Much cooler here this morning and I had a great run despite feeling tired when I woke up. I'd planned to do either 12 miles easy or a run with some MP miles. Ended up doing 12 miles with 8 at (or under) MP. Five of those miles were under 4 hour pace, which I hadn't intended, but I got into a rhythm. My FR45 is absolutely crap at estimating current pace so I'll be using a two-watch set-up at York. I tried it out at Richmond, with the 25 pacing me and the 45 to record the run (I got the new one as the 25 kept losing runs...however it still works well for pacing). Bit weird running with two watches but it seems to work.
  • Hello!
    Had to google iliac crest, yes it's kind of on the side, I did manage about 5.5 miles last night though!, it felt a bit better.  My knee seems to be improving further.

I am a bit too keen enrvuk, and should back off the training a bit when I'm injured,  I'm too impatient. That sounds a decent work trip, drink wise at least! Have a great holiday.

Awesome run Cal especially after a weekend half marathon!  Like the 2 watch idea. When athletes run and look at their watch mid-race is it reading minute miles/km? And or splits? Always wondered that.

I'm sorry you had a bad run Hazlenut, I' m sure the next one will be back to being great!  I'm with you that work hugely affects running.

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

enrvuk,nice running,bet your younger colleagues tried to push the pace.You always have weeks when you feel you've gone backwards,wouldn't worry about it though.

Good that your knee is improving Linton.I've never taken gels racing HM as well,never felt the need,but I have porridge before a HM race. Always have my watch on min/miles and distance.

Sorry to hear about your crap run Hazelnut,don't beat yourself up about it though.You've been running and racing fantastically,maybe take a couple of days off and reset yourself.

Great run Cal,despite feeling tired.There's a guy at my club who races with three watches! - need to ask why.

Just under 12 miles this afternoon,including 9 miles @ MP. Tough run,very warm and muggy,plus feeling knackered as I'm working six nights.My four legged running mate will be out of action for a while,as she was spayed today - she's feeling very sorry for herself - understandably.

• I guess they are checking they're on schedule, mostly. I use it both to check each split and also check my pace (particularly on training runs so I am not going too fast) but that's hard on the new watch as it's not good at estimating current pace - hence the dual watch set-up.

Anyway.... in other news, me, the person who never gets lucky in ballots, ever, found out that I have a place in Tokyo Marathon. After a lot of panicked thoughts "oh god what have I done? How much is this going to cost me? Logistics, argh!" I realised this is pretty flippin' fantastic.
    One of my rollercoaster friends is interested in coming so if that pans out we can make a holiday of it.
    After that, I was so amped up I needed to run and what should have been a slow recovery became 8 miles at the fast end of easy pace. Saw two nice cats - made kissy sounds at the first one and she mewed back (I assume it was a she - the mew was girlish), and the other was chilling in the middle of Tooting Common, watching the birds.
    Left knee is a bit clunky so will have to step up the foam rolling.

• Great news regarding Tokyo Cal!  That will be a trip of a life time (probably costly but still).   Current pace can be all over the place though I didn't know it could vary so much depending on the watch.  For races I tend to watch my average pace as much as current time, especially for longer races. For a goal time I work out what average needs to be in advance and try to run to that.  It helps to stop me going off too fast.  It does take a time for the average pace to settle down though.   Nice miles and pacing btw.  My cat no. 1 could do some of that chilling stuff outside instead of attacking the sofa!

Good news on the knee LTT - give it time.

I tried a bit of a reset yesterday - turned off my pace display screens on the watch (just set to distance, clock and moving time), laced up the trail shoes and trotted off to a local wood with 3 different marked running loops to hide from the pretty strong winds.  Ran as I felt like for around 8 and a bit miles, just taking note of the km splits which I hadn't turned off but not getting fussed by them.  The woods are pretty undulating and the paths stony underfoot so pace tends to vary wildly anyway.   One loop includes a nasty flight of pretty high steps - could do with practicing those more often.
  • back at college last night after summer break and ran the 9 miles homes instead of the train. Saved me £3.10 and helped me digest all the new information given to me
  • TheraThera ✭✭✭
    Ran for the first time today since 29th June this year, but only did short distances for over 12 months as I got completely exhausted after running the Amsterdam Marathon in October 2017. Today was a nice 3 miles so that I could finish feeling great. Will do some more short runs and then start looking at a proper training plan again. Ready to take on the road!! 
  • Welcome, Thera and smuff (you seem to be an old member, Thera - guess you've been away?)

Hazelnut, yeah, you only live once, right? Taste the rainbow, etc. Glad you had a good run today.
  • Hello to smuff and Thera.

I tried to do a bus out and run back combo this evening as I fancied an easyish run based on the fact that I would be followed by a nice tailwind.  Got to the stop in plenty of time but the bus ignored my wavings and kept going - grrrr!

Went home to get rid of some things I wouldn't need and set off on a local loop instead. Was a decent outing despite the windy bits, though I did enjoy the tailwind sections the most.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hope the York marathon goes well Cal. Don't know when it is. Familiar with the general route though (also know a good shortcut). Might go along and support.
    12.1miles today in bit under 1hr36. Warm and sunny out. Tired and heavy but persisted. There's a lot of resurfacing of old byways out to villages to make them bike friendly. Some workmen let me through though the route's supposed be shut. I think they're letting everyone through as it's so out of the way nobody gives a toss. They're excavating the old tip as well. Some sheep had escaped their field but I alarmed them back under the fence. Lots of young mums pushing prams on deserted country roads. There was a big raptor in the sky with a helicopter passing high above it.
    I'm usually in and out of the dentist in 10mins. My teeth don't look great but they're resilient. My dentist seems to believe his patients are in service to their teeth and not the other way around. He doesn't really like us eating or drinking anything. Ideally he'd fit everyone with a feeding tube from the nostril to the stomach.
  • 20th October, JT. I've another half to get through first! Anyway, it would be nice to support, provided it isn't chucking it down like last year. I've yet to do a wet marathon (there was a little drizzle at Liverpool this year but nothing I'd actually term rain) and don't relish the chaffing.
    Good sheep wrangling and raptor spotting. We get a lot of helicopters here - yesterday one (presumably police, at that time of the morning) was overhead for ages - I felt like Ray Liotta at the end of Goodfellas.

6 recovery today. Actually stuck to my slow pace today - I was way too excited to do that yesterday. Bit misty and chilly. Long tights now...long sleeves soon.
  • Did my first, (and probably last), pre-work run today.  Out at 5:30 to be home at 6:30 and leave for work at 7.
    I feel I picked up a good +10 Dynamic points, trundling along the streets in the dark at that time, but getting through work was hard this afternoon, caffeine abuse and minimal productivity, not sure I'd do it again, kudos to those who can! maybe it takes a while to adjust.

I'm with you Cal on the weather, 6c when I left for work, so maybe 4 or 5 while running in a vest. Took a few quick miles  to warm up.

My hip is really quite bad now, and I've got a huge blister through running on wet grass.  I'm going to admit defeat and take a full week off, which I hate doing, with the hope of doing the Folkstone half marathon next weekend. I wish  I knew what was wrong with it.

Amazing news about Tokyo Cal! sounds a brilliant opportunity. 

Rapid long run JT, my good effort with the sheep redirection.

Good run Hazlenut, glad you got a run in anyway. Bus drivers always seem a miserable bunch here.

Hello There and Smuff!

Have a nice weekend.

• See if you can get a ball into it, Linton. Could be TFL, like I had, but could also be hip bursitis. Try and see a sports physio or see your doc and ask for a referral if it doesn't clear up with rest.
  • Cal congratulations on the ballot win. Extremely exciting news. I’m already looking forward to the run report! 

Hazel I hope you have someone to talk to. Things sound quite tough for you at the moment.  It can be like that for anyone and sometimes it isn’t as easy as getting a grip.  Talking it through might help. Good running nonetheless, even if it was wind assisted. I often feel the benefit of a little wind assistance on the most still days ;-)

Thanks JT and nice miles. I also like the sound or at least the speed of your dentist. 

Linton sorry about your injury. I can feel the frustration from here. Hopefully a week of rest will see it right. You may want to build up the distances again gradually. 

Good thrifty running Smuff and welcome back to running Thera. Exciting times. 

Couple of quite different 8.5k runs from me. One was 32 mins in hr zone 3 with warm up etc. The other was a mixed interval that after warm up started with 90 seconds at zone 5, 2 mins recovery and then 5 mins at zone 4 and so on. I found that very tough. The park was busy with people walking to work, some 1:1 training, groups of runners and just people relaxing. 

Also managed a 5k around Brussels Park on Sunday. Nice to run by the royal palace, but not the most energetic run after a chocolate and beer tasting tour the day before. 

Now I’m in Turkey planning a slow recovery run on the dreadmill tomorrow and then up at 6am on Sunday to try and do my longest run before the Bournemouth half. It’s 14 miles with a fast Finish. Daytime temps are 30c so has to be a very early start. 
  • There will be a few run reports before that, notably Yorkshire which is only a month away now.
    Glad you are enjoying Belgium!
    A visit to Westmill parkrun today (to complete my compass challenge - I've already done South Manchester/Southwark/South Norwood, Northala Fields and East Grinstead).
    A lovely location and perfect weather but a tough course - all grass/trail with a few climbs and a very tricky camber to negotiate (you basically run across a steep hill). I estimated 27 minutes for this one so was delighted to be sub-26 - 25:58. 2nd lady too, although the 1st lady was also over 50 so didn't bag the age group.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Welcome smuff and Thera

Cal,great news about Tokyo, would be great to make a holiday out of it,better start saving up!Well done on another parkrun result.

Hope you're feeling better Hazelnut.What a miserable bus driver to ignore you.

Nice run JT,fast one again.I come across plenty of sheep in trouble usually when walking the dogs,caught up in bramble or their heads stuck in fencing,you have to help them or the crows will peck their eyes out.

Linton,hope your hip clears up after a rest.Would love to get my run out of the way when working my day shifts but I'm out the house before 05:30 and would mean getting up really early.

Some great runs envruk,especially the one in zone 4 & 5.Must be a London thing with the 1:1 training! Have a great holiday .

10 miles this evening,including 5.5 miles repeats @ 10kp.Chester mara number came through the post this morning,sent a tingle through my stomach when I opened it,must be nerves kicking in already!

• Ooh exciting, JD. Loved Chester - I hope you have a great run there.

20 mile run today and unfortunately the lovel crisp sunshine has been replaced by muggy gloom. Fortunately, the forecast thunderstorms did not materialise. This is my highest ever week (60 miles) so my legs were pretty tired and it was a slower 20 than the previous one, and also featured my first alfresco pee in a bush because my wayward bladder decided it had more to give despite four pees in the half hour before I left for my run.
    I did pass the Tooting Bec track early on in the run and noticed a bunch of zombies shuffling around it and realised it was the fabled 24 hour track race. Rather cool. It would have been nice to stop and cheer but I still had 18 miles to get through, so I didn't.
  • Hey there MLRERS! 
    Well, life at the mo seems to be really rather hectic so I haven't posted much. Literally not the time to do so! Anyway, I might be an irregular contributor for a while, but still love to hear about you runs when I drop in.
    Great Japan news Cal. I lived in Tokyo for 3 years - a superb place!
    This end, Bristol Half was very warm and so had to drop my pace. Serious stuff as I saw one runner getting CPR and half a dozen others collapsed after the 10 mile mark. 2:02 was fine for me in those conditions. Am running as much as possible, with 8 weeks until my Brecon Marathon. Enjoy your running and catch up soon.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Good to hear from you, Will! It was sticky today, deffo. Good luck with Brecon!
  • Will very envious of you living in Tokyo for three years, that must have been an amazing experience. Well done on the half, 2:02 is not to be sniffed at in hot weather. 

Cal, great Parkrun and long run too. Lots of running fun ahead. Congrats on completing the compass challenge. 

Nice running JD and exciting news about Chester. Hoping my Bournemouth number will be there when I get home. 

I had a dreadmill recovery run on Saturday. It was way too hot outside, but the gym wasn’t cool either. 5k ish. Today I dragged myself out of bed at 6:15am and ran 22.9k from Calis to Fethiye and back along the seafront. It was nice going out before sunrise and seeing people fishing, cafe owners relaxing before the day, the odd runner all the boats moored up in the tourist off season. As I turned around I had to put on my sunglasses and later apply sun cream. A stray dog followed me for a few hundred meters until it found a more interesting pal. It was my longest run to date and quite a special one. Pace was around 6:15/k with a faster finish. Officially in the taper now.