sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• I'm with Alex on the cold bath issue! Marathon training has quite enough essential masochistic rituals as part of the package without adding any optional bolt-ons.

One day I might try Lucozade Sport again, but my fear of running out of glycogen is overridden by my dislike of throwing up (and especially of queueing for a portaloo to throw up in because there are sights that those kind spectators should not be obliged to witness). Managed OK with water and sweeties and bits of banana this year.

• Morning everone, please make some room on the injury bench, only mamaged 3 miles out of 7 last night before my left shin became to sore.

Have a PT session later today so i will try a short 4-5 miles before, if that's no good I will rest for the remainder of the week as i don't want to miss Watford on Sunday.

CA
  • OK, CA seeing as it's you I'll donate my place on the bench.....as long as you keep it warm in case I need it back....

Take it easy and good luck for Watford.

I'm due to start jogging again today, but it's going to be gentle and cautious.

Be careful out there everyone.
  • Sorry to hear that CA. Rest strong.

Percy - Careful you too. It may well be like an ice rink. It looks wonderful outside, inside! but it's very icy where I am!

VRAP - I must say a cold bath does work wonders. The thought of it in this weather doesn't appeal I must admit. It does appeal when I have run 18-20+ though because my body is in pieces. I am sure it aids a speedier recovery than a hot one!

I may run ahead of you if there are any signs of throwing up! Not sure one can plan for that in training! :0
  • Percy, I think I have to call you sanity into question or maybe just your timing going out on a day like this for your return from injury jog. Oh well never mind, best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

With out trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs and all that don’t forget to warm up properly especially the calf.

RRR- I hope to be fit for Sunday so it would be nice to say hello.

CA
  • Thanks Wabbit.....I will be cautious. Looks ok here in London SE5.

I actually like lucozade sport..though I do prefer the "original" flavour - probably something to do with being given it when sick as a kid. As for ice baths, hmmmm, not sure I'm that brave, but have been known to employ the hot/cold shower on the legs treatment.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Sorry to hear your on the bench CA. I have also got a nice warm spot on that bench. I am coming off bench friday, ankle bit delicate but I am going for it and will take it easy. Moving tomorrow so I will have a 4 mile reccie run on Friday of my new area!

Best wishes to you all, injured and the ones putting in all the miles!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Sanity? where?......oh you mean my schizophrenic other half?....he's tied up in the wardrobe and won't be coming out before April 19th. I feed him soup occasionally to keep him alive....as it's just possible he may be of use in the future...;-)
  • So you won't mind me getting to the shower first and using up all the hot water after that long run we're going to do together in a few weeks, Wabbit? That's good! :o)

After 18-20+ miles, my dreams are of chocolate biscuits rather than baths of any temperature.
  • Is this cold bath theme a result of today's weather, you lot are making me feel cold just reading your postings.

Wado, waht area are you going to be running in when you move?

V-rap, it has got to be chocolate hobnobs.

CA
  • yes, hopefully the injury bench may clear out this weekend as a hope to have a return to sub-4 form at watford (sans injury)
    did some yassos last night but reverted to normal run after i thought it was too strenuous for my poor knee
    (i'm too embarressed to post my times anyways)
    JPVD.
  • >>>Adds "Chocolate Hobnobs" to spreadsheet at the point where the "Crazy Addick" and "preferred post-run refuelling" lines intersect.<<<

Er...milk or plain, CA?

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    CA I will be running about in Chingford. I have already joined Orion running club as a second claimer so I know the area a bit already.
    Just have to get out Friday so all my new neighbours will know they have a nutty runner in their road!!!
    I haven't been running for 10 days though due to ankle so I will have to see how it goes.
  • V-rep, both, only for refuelling Purposes of course.
  • Rabbit

Please do not feel like that we are all on different schedules and what suits one does not suit others.Would hate to think I made you feel like that and will walk away and not post here anymore.
    I like the cold baths in summertime but only able to manage 10 minutes max!!

Jonesy

Very interesting about packs where would I get the from?? anything that helps me!!!

Percy

Take care out there it is very very icy
    here and had to stop myself falling on
    numerous occasions this morning!!!!

Wabo

Good luck with your house move and more importantly running in your new area!!

My soleus muscles were fine this morning but my ITB was NOT ,not sure if the icy cold had anything to do with it but this has been the worse it has been in ages and I have rested since Sunday but after a day of rest it will be better I am sure(fingers doubly crossed)So on coming home I have cold/hot/cold showered it and had my traditional nap must do the Cold/hot/cold three more times today....can you not hear my screams??

CA

Hope you make it of the injury bench ASAP not a nice place to be;-(
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP, one good thing about being injured is I can go strait to the nap stage and miss out all that running (olny joking).

Still not sure about the cold/hot/cold thing.

Wabo, good luck with your move.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Cheers Poppy, I am a bit excited today and can't work - well more so than usual!
    I will come back in a couple of days and hopefully tell you all I had a run and feel good!

And I hope the 'bench' is empty!
  • Poppy, Sad to hear about the ITB.
    The hot/cold packs are available from Boots, along with most running shops, but Boots currently have them at half price (~£3) so I picked up a couple of them.

Using the shower is easier to control, but at least the hot/cold packs can be used in the office/lounge/bed/whereever.

Hope that the ITB gets better tonight (and that the weather is a bit kinder tomorrow.)

BTW are you on the Hal Higdon schedule?
  • Thanks Jones the Steam

Will look in Boots tomorrow hope they have them on offer;-)

Yes it was most annoying when I was enjoying my run so much!!

No not on Hal Higdon on one my training partner has adjusted from a few he has used before!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Welsh Poppy

Come back. All is not lost. Keep posting. I'm made of strong fur you know! I realise we all are working to different schedules. I can only admire you for being at an advanced training stage. I'll be there soon. Probably not until 18th April though! :)

All

Come on guys and gals. You know it makes sense. Are we the sub4 runners and sub0 bathers group, or what?

Cold baths are the best
    Wear your fur coat and thermal vest
    Dip the toe and jump right in
    It's not half as bad as the race, Grim!

:)

• Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run, Run, Run
    Don't fear the mileage Poppy's done, done, done
    We'll all get there ere the day has come, so
    Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run

(and then stretch, ice, eat hobnobs, etc....)

;-)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    tee hee, I like poems short and long
    Even when the rhyme goes wrong
    But cold baths , I don't know
    Watch me try and still be slow.......

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    BTW thanks CA re good luck.

And Jones ts, I will get to boots as well cos I have found it really hard to sort out ankle when at office.
    This thread is sooooo helpful!
  • Sing, Wabbit sing......

It's Poppy's mate George who's yet to explain the early schedule 20 mile run thinking. I would say on balance they've got to be good for you in terms of time on your feet and teaching the body to burn fat as a fuel. However, there is the risk of injury and the need for possible extra recovery (even though they're run slowly).

I'd be doing them if I were fit ....;-)

Just had a 15 minute jog. No ice in the city but a biting wind. No probs really - though some slight discomfort. Hot/cold now and more rest and review tomorrow....wahey!
  • Percy, Glad to hear that you managed to get out and about. Given the weather outside of London, you might be one of the few!
  • Maybe so JtS. Under normal weather conditions I'd happily swap a few city runs for the countryside/seaside though. I've heard it's quite scenic "over by there" on the Gower...mate of mine's from Ammanford see (sp?)
  • The secret of taking a cold bath is
    to run the water AFTER you get in! I
    have been taking them after long runs
    for about the last year and I do think
    that they help . . . 20 to 30 min
    with a big mug of tea. But make sure
    there is hot water available for the
    shower afterwards!!!!

managed about 18 miles in about 2:30
    last sunday - but it was a bit of a
    push in places. I think I got my pacing
    wrong and was going too fast most of
    the time.

a slow 5 miles (41min) this am due
    to bits of ice here and there in
    London . . .

21 miles this sunday !!

natnif
  • Natnif.

I agree. Big hot mug of coffee and a Banana.

AND

A towel around the shoulders

Sit in Bath

Run cold water

Believe it or not, if you don't move an inch the whole time, it actually starts feeling warm (ish)

JTS / Wabo

You are both wasted.

Percy

I wouldn't put you through the misery of singing. VRAP will confirm as I have often wanted to sing on top of hills to the sound of our Jules and "Sound of Music". I took the hint when she wore ear muffs :(
  • Good going natnif....is that a grenade in your pint glass? (or are you just pleased to see us?)
  • Having tried walking around in the ice and snow this evening, I've decided that abject cowardice is the better part of valour and decided to stay in. It would be far to embarrassing to explain to the physio why I fell over.

If anybody does go out, please be careful. It looks like the bench is almost empty and it would be great to keep it that way.

Hopefully it'll thaw out soon and we can all get out and about again

Cheers.