Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Yes mainly looking for abroad atm,but if theres one here I really fancy then I'll do it.
    Shades-Thanks for that,its a place I've always wanted to go so will look into pricing a bit more.
  • I've popped myself into the Berlin ballot too, despite the price... If I don't get in then I'll be shopping for an Autumn race. Could be tempted by Loch Ness. :)
  • Hi, I'm looking to start following one of the training plans from here, could anyone advise what 5M of 1M jog is?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure your legs will be fine by Sunday  :)

Steve - that was cold for your run today.

Cal - I don't know how hard/easy it is to get a ballot place for Berlin.

I think you'd enjoy Loch Ness too.

Cozy - that's not one of my plans, I never use the J word.  
  • I have looked for your plans Shades, where are they? Looking to break 4 hours for the marathon, looking like it will be Edinburgh as I'm pretty sure I never got London place
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - you have to message me your email address and I'll send them to you, they're on Excel spreadsheets.

Ballot for London is Monday, maybe you'll get a place.  If not there are plenty of good marathons to choose from.
  • Cozy, if you want a fast spring race, try Manchester. (Welcome!)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Didnt realise London results were next week.
    First post berlin run,7 miles,legs still a bit sore but felt fine except on the downhills.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've seen the date 7th October mentioned a few times on various threads so you should be able to finalise your spring marathon plans then. :)    You've had other things on your mind like running a PB and getting your GFA. :o

You should make a speedy recovery now that you've managed to get out for a run.   I always think travelling home by air straight after a race slows recovery too.  No matter how much you try and keep moving, the nature of the travel, waiting at the airport and the actual flight means you're sitting for long periods and flying dehydrates you even further.  

6 miles on a very chilly morning for me today.   My legs are sore after the gym yesterday.   Upper body session today but first I have to survive Pilates. :'(  On Tuesday she gave us some quite advanced stuff, some of which I couldn't really do especially as only 2 days after my marathon, but I gave it a shot.
  • Snap - six miles for me too. Was going to do a recovery run but it was too cold to go that slowly.  Had to force myself out today but was rewarded by a lovely sunrise and I did enjoy the run.

Shades - I flew back the day after Vienna and we had to run through the airport to make our flight. That bit was fun. :D
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've entered barca and boston so spring is pretty much done.It actually will affect my autumn choices,if I get in london I will consider Chicago as suddenly I only need tokyo for all 6,but if I dont then I wont go all the way out there.
  • Ian - You'll soon have your six star medal then! 2020 looks busy for you.
    Shades - Yeah and today was around 2c!!
    Easy 5 miles today, legs feel quite good, so I have my fingers crossed for Sunday. Although it's a 11am start!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I've a Trotters friend who is doing Chicago this year.  She was there at Berlin as well.  It's funny how it works as when I did London, we happened to run across Tower Bridge together which was brilliant.  Funny how you're going from Berlin to your first, to potentially having a route do doing all six.  I reckon if you don't get a ballot place you'll be getting GFA before too long, if your Berlin time isn't quite there.

Cal, great news on Berlin.  Best of luck with it.  I haven't decided yet...

Shades, that sounds like a tough morning!

I did 5 miles this morning, will possibly do a short run tomorrow, before flying up to Inverness early afternoon.  Hoping to do Inverness parkrun on Saturday too.  Legs are better today, although there's a slight niggle in the left hip.  It seems I've nearly always got some kind of running issue at the moment, which isn't great!  I loved Loch Ness last year but it really knocked me about, I think due to the downhills.  If I get to the start line feeling good though, I'll be hoping for another sub-3:30 (I did 3:27 last year), but we'll see how it goes on the day, with weather conditions and everything else.  If it's not going to happen I think I'll know early on, and then I'll just ease back a bit.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - having to sprint for your plane on post marathon legs, ouch.

Ian - that seems really quick all 6 majors in a relatively short time. :) :smile: 

Steve - that is chilly, not as cold here, but cold enough.

Hope conditions are good for your 10k on Sunday.

Big G - is this a new niggle, didn't you have a hip niggle before.  I'm sure it's nothing that another marathon won't sort out ;) 

Last time I did Loch Ness (2017) I was so cold at the start despite a bin bag, we have to put our bags in a little while before the start, that my teeth were chattering.   I can remember seeing a girl wearing a girly fluffy dressing gown and thinking how ridiculous she looked.   However, 10 minutes later I was wishing I had a warm fluffy dressing gown to keep me warm.  As I've Marie Kondo'd most of my wardrobe this year I don't have any old clothes so I've bought a cardigan for a £1 from a charity shop and will take that with me.   I'm hoping it won't be that cold, it was only while we were at the start, once we started to run we dropped down out of the wind and conditions were good.

Pilates was tough, we did lots of work on hamstrings and quads too which I found hard but has actually helped my post gym soreness from yesterday.  Upper body session in the gym done too, I'm really enjoying the gym at the moment.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've just been reading Loch Ness race info and there's mention of Baxter Foods beetroot.   

Which reminded me to ask you if you used your beet shots as prep for Berlin?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    6 majors has never been a thought for me,until I suddenly got to enter 3 this year,I wont be thinking about any others until I get a London place though.
    Temp was very cold this morning,my car beeped to say it was cold.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I'll be packing some items to throw away at the start line too.  Last year we were lucky as the weather forecast was terrible the night before the race, but it ended up starting in the dry, and in fact remained mainly dry all race.  I'm keeping an eye on the forecast, which at the moment isn't looking great, but hopefully it'll change.  I've been going through last year's splits to see what I did and where on the course.  As you know, it's difficult to just do an even pace due to the up and down hills, but I think it's definitely a fast course overall if you can get over the lumpy bits okay.  I remember last year I really tried to stay on the racing line, as I wanted a good time last year.  This year though I was really happy with Berlin so if I don't do a good time for me, I'm not as bothered on this occasion.  I'll just play it by ear on the day.  I'm abit in the mindset now where I don't want to completely knacker myself as I have 3 in a row now (4 including Berlin), with quite a lot of travelling too.

Yes, I have had an issue with the hip in the past, but it was a while ago.  This time I think it may be a combination of me pushing it a bit at Berlin, not doing a recovery run, and the travelling.  I'm fairly confident it will be okay come Sunday.

I have a few hours on Saturday and I was looking at doing a boat trip on the Loch.  But I think I'm just going to go and see Vassos Alexander instead at the Expo, as again the weather doesn't look brilliant for a boat trip.  Three other Trotters are going up this year, including RK and his wife, and they've all said it's because of my review from last year that they're making the trip.  Also, the Head of Claire's school is going up too, due to a recommendation from me - she's a great runner, with a comfortable GFA.  I've been trying to get her to do DD as I think she'd do well, but every time I mention it she just laughs :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Missed yout question earlier.I didn't,I had 2 races,not as good as i wanted,probably not related but wanted to go back to how I prepped for GC and I didn't have it then so gave it a miss.
    8 miles today,felt good yet slower than yesterday,if I remember right that happened last time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Did a 3-miler around town this morning, which was fine - hip much better again, even compared to yesterday.  Stopped at a couple of shops to pick up some sweets at one and fresh croissants at another :)    I could have sworn that my flight was late afternoon, but it's actually at 2pm so I'm glad I checked it all again this morning!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well the beet shots were worth a try and it'll save you a few quid having ditched them, I don't expect you'll miss taking them. 🤮   These sort of things work for some and not for others.

Was there anything significantly different that you did in your GC prep?   Or was it that you just felt your very best?

Big G - I keep doing my usual checks on the weather and BBC now has the early rain on race day being a bit lighter than originally forecast.   The others still have heavy rain at the start.   They all say lighter winds so that's good.   So it'll be poncho, latex gloves and I've got an old umbrella which I think I'll take as we have over an hour standing around at the start.

Saturday looks OK but you'd probably want really good clear weather to see everything on a river cruise, we see those boats during the race.  Last time I was up there my friend took me to Ullapool, amazing scenery on the way but we had clear sunny weather that day.   I've never been to the Culloden Battlefield I believe that's worth a visit.    
    I expect I'll go and get my number in the morning, want to have a good look at the Garmins, then I might go back later to see Vassos, the Expo does look a bit better this year with talks etc.  I have bought shoes there before as they often have good deals on Brooks shoes, but I'm not intending to buy this year.  I do want to try on some Hokas though.

Is RK's wife doing the marathon as well?

7 miles for me this morning, legs felt very tired and a bit sore before I went out and did ponder for about 10 seconds whether to take a rest day but I didn't.   Not so cold today, a pleasant 12 degrees.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   Just as well you checked your flight time, a speedy drive up the M5 is very stressful. 😲
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, RK's wife is doing it as well.  She's done 2 or 3 marathons I think; I think I'm right in saying that last year's City to Sea was her first one, although I believe she did it as a walker.  Hadn't thought of latex gloves - I've just packed a pair :)  

I need to take two pairs of shoes with me as if I do parkrun it's likely to be on wet ground, and I don't want to start the marathon with wet shoes.  Managed to cram two pairs in my case, alongside everything else!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I see Leicester Marathon has been cancelled this weekend due to parts of the course being flooded, and also Chester are changing things at the start/finish due to the wet conditions.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicester-marathon-half-marathon-cancelled-3390086

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/severe-weather-conditions-prompt-important-17018969
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Have a good flight.
    Shades-No there wasnt really,few extra miles,had my main pasta meal on friday rather than saturday,and looking at bother I barely ran I the last week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I saw someone wearing latex gloves at the start of Loch Ness 2 years ago and copied the idea and used them a couple of times.

I bought some waterproofing spray yesterday so am going to spray my running shoes, it might help a little, I hope.

Good idea to pack 2 pairs of running shoes
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Oh that's a shame about Leicester Marathon, I really like that race but they move the date around and it often clashes with other races I'm doing.

I saw that about Chester, they've put in a lot of work and had the course remeasured for the changes due to flooding.

Ian - have you booked GC again for 2020?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Seen that about chester,done well to get it remeasured,would hope with thisr guys that they plan for every possibility.
    GC is weird,I emailed them a while back and asked is the race going ahead,as entries weren't open,they said they will be soon but nothing else has appeared so I'm guessing it's not going ahead,annoying as we have booked flights and hotel so have to just be a few days in the sun.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - the Chester guys are great race organisers, they are meticulous in their planning.

That is annoying about GC.  Maybe someone else will take over the race, after all it's a popular event.

Just rung my hotel in Inverness to check if they're doing early breakfast on Sunday.   Yes, continental being served from 4:30 a.m., that seems extraordinarily early, I know we need to leave the hotel by 6:45 a.m. at the latest but the race doesn't start until 10 a.m.   Think it might be a 2 breakfast day on Sunday. :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, odd about GC.

Got to airport and through security with no issues.  Loads of runners here again - White Star Running tops, North Devon Road Runners, City to Sea etc. Even if people aren’t in running kit, there are loads of Garmins about.

Shades, last year I had two breakfasts. I had the B&B breakfast at 4:45am and ate more than I usually would.  It’s only a small place and they requested the order the night before and I ordered two eggs, toast, bacon and sausages, and also had a couple of pastries up at the race start :) The first time I did something similar was at that Nottingham lake and at the start I was a bit worried I’d over done the food, but I ended up with a PB that day :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was hoping I could get something cooked at my hotel for breakfast as I'm trying to keep my protein % up but I'll just have to make do.   Might take a cheese roll or similar to eat on the coach for 2nd breakfast.

I expect we're both on the same flight home on Monday.  I can take your tin of soup for you if you like, I have a hold bag booked.