Paris Marathon 2020

Comments

• @Orbutt Quick question about the certificate. The template says "Race name" and "Race Number" at the top... isn't that Catch 22? How do you know your race number yet? I registered already and have my Registration ID... but no bib number. Do I leave that bit blank?
    I actually feel getting this medical certificate right is going to be harder than running 26.2 miles!!!!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Wheatism. I left mine blank. In previous years we've had our bib numbers as soon as we registered.
    I dont see it being a problem as it's not really race specific. The French get a medical certificate that is valid for a year and covers any event within that year
  • Hi, I have been dipping in and out of this thread, can I ask what the medical certificate is? does everyone need to submit one? i can't recall seeing it when I entered the event for 2020
    cheers
    Paul
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi PT_71.

The medical certificate is the biggest cause of headaches for the Paris Marathon.

You will need one and if you don't have one you won't get your bib. This is a requirement of all French races and is basically an ar5e covering exercise.

The link for the blank certificate is below and I would advise that you use this form as the French are quite specific about the wording

https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/registration/medical-certificate

The best thing to do is to book an appointment with your doctor for something else and while your there ask him to sign and stamp this form. The stamp is important. Explain to your doctor that there is no liability involved and they are not signing to say that you are fit to run, they are just signing to say that there's no reason why you shouldn't. There have been instances where doctors have amended the wording on the certificate. Try to discourage this as it could cause issues.

Race name is Marathon De Paris, or Paris Marathon, but don't worry about filling in the race number as we don't have that yet.

I would get this sorted as soon as possible, as it is valid for a year and you can submit it online and get it accepted beforehand. There's nothing more stressful than turning up at the expo and worrying about whether your certificate will be accepted

• cheers Orbutt, very informative & helpful
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Hey all! How's it going? There's a group of previous Paris runners and other waifs and strays that have been collected along the way :D and we're doing tops again this year, Charcoal/yellow and layout as below. There's a bit of history behind the BCRC - Bristol Convocations Running Club, and hopefully you'll all get the joke on the back. If you want a top please PM me before Sunday 8th September and will put you on the order. I need the following information: real name, postal address, top type and size. Further details are:
    - Cost including P&P within europe was under £10 last few years but we will have to wait until order is in to confirm. Shouldn't be more than £15.
    - Sizing guide: www.justcoolbyawdis.com/size-guide ask others if you're unsure as we've had these tops a few times.
    - Technical Tops types: JC001(mens t-shirt), JC005(womens t-shirt), JC007(mens vest), JC015(womens vest)

• Morning All. I noticed the bib number is not available yet. In years gone past you'd get your Dossard straight away when you signed up. 

• Jimbob. I think they did the same last year - maybe we can check with someone who ran it? I'm not sure when they'll be released but they might know.
  • We had to collect them from Le parc des expositions at Porte de Versailles. It was quite a tiring thing to have to do. 
  • phronesis. In previous years, as soon as you signed up you were told your bib number but they seem to have stopped this now.
    It seems to be that most expos are inconveniently positioned and make you spend time on your feet when you should be resting 
  • I can’t remember when they told me my number but mine got changed about a month after they did and so did that of some others on this forum. 
  • Sounds like  another way of messing with the delicate mental state of a runner in training  :/
  • Not strictly about the race but I'm starting to plan flights etc.
    What is it like getting around Paris on the morning of the race? I am not sure where to stay and it's pretty expensive in the centre, wherever that is! I think the start is at 8am on Avenue des Champs-Elysees and I'm always nervous so would get there for 7am...ughhh.
    Any travel tips?
  • Wheatism. The metro system in Paris is superb so getting to the start line won't be a problem.
    Ideally, find a hotel which is close to a metro station that is on a direct route to Charles de Gaulle Etoille. This includes the metro lines and the RER lines.
    Have a look at the metro map here http://https//parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/paris-metro-map-2019.pdf
    and see where your prospective hotels are.
    Hotel rooms in Paris are generally expensive and small, so you will hear people describe their rooms as 'pretty big, for Paris' or 'cheap, for Paris'.
    If you find somewhere and you want to double check on its location then shout out and multiple eyes will check it out.

• I plan to stay in the Ibis Montparnasse and get the 28 bus to the Champs Élysée  
  • Wheatism - I stayed around the Bastille area, the metro really is very good and I was at the bag drop off 25 minutes after leaving my hotel. There are some reasonably priced IBIS hotels around there. Good for spectating supporters too.
    Still think I will run again next year, really enjoyed it in April.
  • Phronesis. I'd be inclined to avoid the bus  as road closures may cause a problem.
    There is a direct metro line from Montparnasse Bienvenue station  to Charles de Gaulle Etoille which would take 16 mins
  • Latest list. Any more names to add? Let me know and you will be added to the Roll of Honour.
    Preferentials 

Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • Orbutt said:
    Phronesis. I'd be inclined to avoid the bus  as road closures may cause a problem.
    There is a direct metro line from Montparnasse Bienvenue station  to Charles de Gaulle Etoille which would take 16 mins
    Thanks for the warning Orbutt. I prefer buses so I'll check the night before and if not available I'll get the metro. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    As Orbutt has said the Metro is a good option before and after the race. I've based myself at Montmartre each time I've ran Paris (and again for next year) and I've never had an issue getting to and from the start. Metro lines 1 and 2 on the Metro will give you direct access to the start/finish area.
    @wheatism - If you are looking for something closer to budget accommodation for Paris I can recommend the Ibis in Montmartre. It's a short direct Metro ride on line 2 from the start/finish and also has decent links to the Expo on the line 12 Metro at Pigalle, which goes directly to the expo location, is only a ten minute walk from the hotel.
  • ''Tis the season for London rejection letters.
    If anyone receives one and is looking for an alternative so that your training doesn't go to waste, then the Paris Marathon is for you.
    That is exactly what happened in 2012 and I ran my one and only marathon - or so I thought.
    I was bitten by the running bug but more importantly I joined this forum and met a great bunch of very helpful and supportive people, many of whom have become close friends.
    So, if London has passed you by this year then sign up for Paris - you won't regret it. 
  • I was only going to run one too! Can't wait for next year.  Booked my easyjet flight.  A marathon is the best ever excuse for a little solo holiday, made even better knowing there's a big group of friendly fellow marathoners to meet up with!

I just need to up the mileage now...
  • I remember the days I was only going to run one marathon. That was 2007!

Turns our I was wrong about the number of marathons I’d run and great many other things!
  • Hi all, I have signed up to run Paris in 2020 and already getting pretty hyped about the race and the trip (Suggested family holidays are arranged around my marathon plans - sell the city, incorporate the race) . Intend to ease into training mid Nov and hope the Scottish weather doesn't add chaos to my plans.
    I'm unsure from the registration process where I'll be placed. PB at Boston last year was sub 3. Will I be put in a pen ahead of the red or does this encapsulate a larger field?
    Is Paris a fast course compared to other large marathons? I stuck my application in for Berlin 2020 ballot so big hopes to train well and blitz my pb this coming year.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hello Buzz2 and welcome to the Paris forum.
    I would say that you should be in the "Preferential' pen, which is ahead of Red.
    I believe that it has more space and a few more toilets than other pens - luxury. 
    You may need to prove that you are entitled to be in that pen, so it may be worth emailing the organisers and requesting the preferential pen, whilst including proof of your Boston time.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Preferentials 
    Buzz2
    Red Pen  3:00 - 3:15
    Jimbob
    Yellow Pen 3:15 - 3:30
    Dirty Leeds Rob
    Dom Norrish
    Blue Pen 3:30 - 3:45
    Eggyh73
    Purple Pen 3:45 - 4:00
    Yer Maj
    Nells
    wheatism
    Pistol101
    KeyserSuze
    phronesis
    PT_71
    Green Pen 4:00 - 4:15
    Radar Sal
    Kirsten B
    Robbo1983
    Grey Pen 4:15 - 4:30
    Orbutt
    Pink Pen 4:30 and over
    maccazz
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Buzz2 - Welcome to the thread! Nice to have another Scot join the fun.

The course has PB potential. I’ve ran a PB in Paris twice. I would say it’s not as flat as the likes of London or Berlin. There are no major hills on the course but it does undulate a bit, more so on the second half of the race.

As Orbutt has said you’ll be in the preferential pen by the sounds of it. The Avenues will be wide and clear for you to hit your pace from the off.
  • Hi all and thanks for the feedback. The undulations won't be anything like Boston last year so am hopefully better prepared. The luxury section sounds fab, maybe some foie gras and champers to ease down the gels too!!
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Buzz2 said:
    Hi all and thanks for the feedback. The undulations won't be anything like Boston last year so am hopefully better prepared. The luxury section sounds fab, maybe some foie gras and champers to ease down the gels too!!
    All can be arranged I'm sure Buzz2 if you hang around here long enough  B)
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Just thought I’d check in and say hello. Got my London reject this morning which was a relief as I entered something else this morning and had forgotten if entered the ballot!