London 2020

Sorry if I’ve missed this somewhere but does anyone know if the charity ballot results come out the same time as the ordinary ballot results? If so any ideas when in October this may be, thanks 🙄
Tagged:

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know there was a ballot for charity places?  

I thought the charities bought gold bond places and up to them how they distribute them.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just found this, I guess this is the charity ballot you mean

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/charity/charity-ballot/charity-faqs/

So you're asking as a charity not as a runner?  It says the successful charities would be emailed in June.
  • Think I didn’t make it clear, sorry. I’ve applied for the ballot, so has my niece, she has also applied to a charity for a sponsored place. She called the charity last Tuesday for an update and they said they had to wait for the ballot results before they could tell her if she had a chance with them. So, just wondered if anyone knew when that could be, hope that’s explained it better,thanks 🤪
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If the charity applied through the ballot that I put the link up for then they would know in June.   

Maybe the charity waits for the October ballot results and then they allocate places to those that were unsuccessful in the main ballot?  I guess a lot of runners try to line up a charity place if they don't get a place in the main ballot.  So I suppose once the ballot is done your niece has to notify the charity if she is still looking for a place.

Good luck to both of you in getting a place.
  • Shades, thanks, looks like you were right, she spoke to charity today and they wait to see if people get ballot place before offering charity places,only thing is she was asked if she would be able to pledge more than the minimum asked?
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi, not run London myself, but have many friends who have. According to them it sounds as if the charity has offered too many places, thinking more people would have a ballot place, and now is going to make a final offer to those who can raise the most money. Can understand it from the charity's position given how much they pay for a place, but equally it is not what they should be doing. Training for a marathon is tough enough without worrying about raising money you did not expect to have to. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TT - the charities usually set a minimum amount to be pledged, of course they want to raise as much money as they can so I can understand they want to raise more.   To my knowledge they don't increase that minimum pledge it remains the same, however they might allocate the place to someone that can pledge more.   

Obviously it makes sense to wait until the ballot, then those runners who do get a ballot place can still run for the charity but won't be obliged to raise the minimum pledge.   

I ran my first marathon at London for a charity but I had a ballot place and there was no pressure or mention of how much I had to raise for them.

A few years later I did a charity event and we had to raise £2k each, I think one person raised £20k but there was no pressure on me to raise more than the £2k. I think I did about £2,400.
  • London is a good one to raise money in, I've sponsored lots of friends and colleagues for this one...
  • I ran this year as a competition winner and supported MIND, as I had my own place i had no minimum amount to raise. Was the 1st time i've run a marathon.

I have a charity place with MIND for next year, and found out i was successful last week. I have a £2k min amount to raise.

Charities will have their own procedures when to inform applicants if they are successful or not. In regards to MIND i know others found out they were successful 2 week prior to me, and there will probably still be places announced in October. 

• I've just logged into realbuzz and my VLM2020 ballot entry is showing a BIB number that I don't think was there last week. Has anyone else logged in and checked their ballot application status and got a BIB number??
  • portlandersportlanders ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I heard they are testing, someone reported seeing a bib number, then next day it had gone. 

• Thanks portlanders...that makes sense as the bib number has now disappeared. Lets hope I get allocated a real bib number eventually rather than only ever having got a place for test purposes only...
  • Okay folks, you can call me stupid, my family do,lol, but how do you find if you are on realbuzz? I’ve tried logging in on their site and they say I’m not recognised, 😢
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I thought you had to have set up a login to enter the ballot? i recall the password requirements i very tricky and so i have to reset everytime i try and log in. 
  • Google 'realbuzz registrations', you will have set a password when you entered the ballot.
  • I did reply with a link the the reallbuzz members hub, but it went to authorisation and wasn't posted. 
    Guess they don't like members posting links here sadly. 
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the help so far 😉,next question,if I’m lucky enough to get an acceptance in the ballot how long am I allowed to confirm it? If that makes sense 🤪
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Oh well,have checked realbuzz this morning and no payment asked for, looks likely we’re not in on ballot, hopefully niece gets her charity place and I’ll help her raise money, good luck to all of you out there 😪
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Are they sending out the "You're In" magazines this year? I know they are trying to scale that side of things back however I get quite excited when I receive that.
  • > @AliT100 said:
    > Oh well,have checked realbuzz this morning and no payment asked for, looks likely we’re not in on ballot, hopefully niece gets her charity place and I’ll help her raise money, good luck to all of you out there 😪

Payment can't be made until Thursday so not necessarily a rejection.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Post has just arrived, large white envelope,Sorry magazine inside,good luck to the rest of you 😭
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    I've got in on the ballot after about 10 years of trying! Made up.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dave928, shows what persistence can do 🤩,
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dave, though 10 years of persistence in training might have put matters in your own hands with a GFA.
  • Good luck to you Dave you’ll have the time of your life were still waiting for magazines down here but not holding breath can’t find much on website at moment
  • Does anyone know if they post your ballot result on members hub page or is it the mag through the door routine ? .🙈
    My hub page just says 1 entry into the ballot 
  • Its usually on the members hub page, just open your ballot entry to check

• george_george_ ✭✭✭
    My members hub page says nothing either way yet either. Will be checking the post tonight and the hub again tomorrow!

• London Marathon tweeted that emails will be sent out and realbuzz updated tomorrow (Wednesday) - no logic to that really? Why can't they just release all the emails and magazines at the same time? (Or even better not send any magazines at all...…)
  • The postal service would probably grind to a halt with 400,000 rejection magazines in the system at the same time.