P&D Autumn Marathon 2019

Comments

• Inside the stadium and sans tshirt, i.e. race day dress

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Cracking photos chick

Spoons - i looked up yr result and wondered what had happened vs yr target. Sounds like you have a good handle on it, its difficult to nail marathons and youve run a comfy 2.53 ! Seeing as you'll bounce back quickly you might be able to do another or target that 1/2 pb later in the year ?

Hamo - yes exciting getting my number through. My recent 1/2 has me thinking thst i could have a good day if the planets align (but just ask spoons its tough to align them).
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Chick - Well done on a great race after you felt training didn't go to plan. Great outfit too, looks like it was lots of fun. You'll have to go out for a run sometime with Joe in his swimmers.

Spoon - Tough missing out on 2:45. Still a solid time and good attitude. Any further thoughts about what was causing your breathing to be tight? Having to walk to settle it down doesn't sound much fun. Any different plans for training over the winter?
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Chicksta - well done, sounds like a great run, enjoyable and also lots of attention. Fantastic outfit as well, must be worth a few minutes from the support!

Spoons - great outcome to get your 2nd fastest time despite the breathing issues. Never heard of anyone getting that but good news that you feel like recovery will be swift. 

TR - you should go after it if you’re feeling confident after your half, that’s the position I was in and it’s amazing what your body can do when your mind is already in the zone. And the elite bib number should be worth an extra minute or two!

• Spoons...Nice report. Sorry it didn't go quite as planned for you, but as HA has said that's the right attitude to have. Swift time all the same, considering it didn't go perfectly.

Chick...Class photos, looks like you had a brilliant time.

TR...I think you'll have a brilliant day, but as you say it's all about everything coming together.

8 mile easy this morning.
  • Chicksta - Great photos, looks like you had a blast!
    Spoons - Great result despite it not being what you wanted.
    Another easy 5 miles this morning. Legs feel quite good, so have my fingers crossed for Sunday, although it is a 11am start!!
  • Chick - thanks for the virtual hug. Sending one back your way. Looks like you had a great time in Berlin and glad you were able to take the pressure off. They can be the most fun runs for sure. Photos look ace.

Spoons - As others have said, still a great time, and a solid day. To run that fast and not be feeling quite right is really impressive. Keep building up the layers and the breakthroughs will keep coming.

Slowly, slowly starting to feel a bit more like my old self. Weight still to shift, but hopefully heading in the right direction.

Was meant to be doing the Leicester half marathon Sunday, but it's already been called off because of flooding. No bad thing, as not really in race shape at the moment anyway.

I should be seeing Macca at Jersey Farm parkrun Sat morning if things go to plan. 
  • Thanks guys.

You're sounding a bit more upbeat, Joe 🙏 say hello to Macca

HA is probably right - a hula/Speedo fun run could be quite a sight ;)

TR: You've put together a super solid campaign. Time to feel confident 💪

Good luck, Steve.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    John - agreed, but its a trade off between what you can achieve and avoiding a case of eyes bigger than engine.

Chick - im confident enough.

Did my tempo 6 again today and beat Tuesdays time by ~45secs, so best timeof the campaign and 25 secs quickwr than the same session before yeovil. So happy days.

• Well done, spoons. To slow to a walk and still run 2:53, with breathing difficulties is very impressive. Do you think they were similar in any way to the stitch you had in the Worcester 10k? Nonetheless, it is a very fast marathon banked and should enable your upward trend to continue in the long term. Enjoy a break - unless you fancy parkrun this Saturday?!

Don’t know how you do the midnight runs, Macca. You’d hold up well in the marathon in Doha.

Steveyou have a really impressive range of paces. I reckon it is helping keep you injury free and continuing to make impressive gains. 

Pleased to see you sound more positive, Joe. I’ve been struggling with my eating recently. Eating to excess and having little will power. I don’t know if it is tiredness or not having any races soon. Feel I need to hit reset. Might try the Headspace app. 

HA I hadn’t thought about the changeovers in the mixed relay - very good point. Agreed also that the Coe/Nike connection continuing is ridiculous. Good luck with the XC. 

How was the club session, hamo?

Good to hear from Reg. I had followed a few of your exploits whilst stalking on another thread. Hope all is ok post bike crash? Wokingham in Feb?

Cracking photos, chicksta! Looks like such a brilliant time. And ultimately, enjoying it is what it is all about.

Evening all. Still no baby. Good to hear different thoughts on the world champs. I seem to have got into them more than previous events, through happenstance really. Enjoyed Michael Johnson’s ‘off air’ comments about Seb Coe. Enjoyed Salazar’s ban even more. Makes the British investigation look pretty feeble. I wonder when the 800m winner will be investigated. 1500m heat tonigh good, with a better atmosphere. Heptathlon also great. KJT looks as though she really isn’t trying in the throws, but the javelin/shot seem to go an impressive distance nonetheless. I’m now trying to select my adjectives carefully whilst watching the shot put with my daughter.

Cracking on with training. Session on Tuesday including a 2M tempo then 6 x 800m. Not great paces, but tough efforts nonetheless. 14M MLR on Wednesday morning, then double recovery today. Might be able to squeeze in parkrun in Worcester on Saturday morning before an open morning. As long as I can do parkrun, run a mile back to school and shower before 9.30.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: pretty decent result given you weren't feeling great! You are in a super place to start building up to VLM which is a big positive
    Chick: great pic and well done on the race
    Joe: glad you are feeling a bit better
    SQ: Good training whilst waiting for the baby!
    I'm in proper taper mood now just enjoying doing less miles and my legs feel great - think its a combo of having recovered from the last race and not done much high mileage in between. Don't know if that means I'm a bit underprepared to be feeling this good a week out but I'll take it! 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Joe - glad to hear you’re making baby steps forward. Keep enjoying your runs. 

TR - makes sense, you’ve got a great recent HM time to work off and with all those miles banked you should have plenty of positive indicators to rely on. I still think you’ll surprise yourself  ;)

SQ - nice session, keep it up whilst you’re still waiting!

AWC - looking good for next week. Are you going to try a parkrun this week as a final blast?

Lots of hilly trails this week, am already up to 1500m climbing in 3 days. Beautiful views though along trails overlooking the Whitsunday Islands off the Great Barrier Reef. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    John - no parkrun for me. After a summer of ultras my legs didn't really fancy it! Sounds beautiful where you are. Would love to get out there for some running.
    Got out for a 12 miler yesterday morning - ran it progressively finishing with 2 miles at HMP which surprisingly felt pretty good considering I've not done any LT work recently.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - Noticed your Whitsunday runs on strava, very jealous. 

SQ - What news on baby front?

AWC - Feeling good for the weekend? I'm expecting another great one. My boss is running the same race and he's spent the past week trying to work out how to get his watch to last for over 24 hours.

Got out for XC yesterday. 6 miles in 36:39, not too tough a course, just one steep climb and a few other gentle rises. I went completely under on a river crossing. The marshal said to try to take a big leap so I followed his advice and seemed to land right in the deepest spot. Probably only up to my tummy but I stumbled forwards and everything went under. Muddy bank on the other side had me going up on my hands and knees. Managed 9th but felt pretty slow. Still, it's a start.
  • John - Your photos and runs were great!
    SQ - Hope all is good, any news?
    HA - Nice XC position! Not great about the river crossing!!
    Easy 3 mile shakeout on Saturday then the Basingstoke 10k on Sunday, first time putting this event on, running alongside the established half marathon, it's an out and back course. I knew there was a hill going out, but it was steeper than I thought, so after my opening miles of 6:10/6:14 I noticed on the out that only 2 people had come back on the other side of the road, both moving quickly and I was running behind another 2, so looked like I was 5th going up the hill, my third mile clocked 6:50, but I'd caught up and passed 4th place and at the turnaround point I had caught 3rd. Ran alongside him for a while, then took 3rd place at the 5k mark which I passed in 19:52, put my foot down on the downhill to take advantage of the free speed! 4th mile clicked by in 5:58 and no one had come passed me, head down and pushing on solo, got the 5th mile done in 6:04, passed a spectator who told me I was 3rd and that 4th was 100 meters back! Entered the park hit a bit of mud on the turn and thought I would fall over, but managed to get some traction. Up another incline which felt tough and the 6th mile clocked a 6:28, was hurting, but didn't want to be caught.....sprint for the line over a grass field which felt like I was slowing rapidly, but managed to cross the line in 38:38 for a second half 5k in 18:46 (Parkrun PB is 18:40) for 3rd place! 2 seconds slower than my PB, but on a tougher course, so very happy with that, only looked at my watch after 5k for the splits, wish I would have paid more attention, could have maybe sneaked a PB if I'd pushed a little bit more!
  • Morning all.

That sounds like a perfect taper attitude, AWC. A century must take so much mental willpower that you certainly don’t want to feel at all taxed in advance.

JohnOz your photos look incredible What a beautiful place. Not at all jealous with my overcast bypass laps…

Great to see you’re back racing, HA. 9th would be an incredible result for XC round here – and I suspect it is even more competitive in your neck of the woods. Nice one on the submersion – did your kids get to see it?

Fantastic, Steve! That sounds a tough course, so to get so close to a PB shows you are in great shape. Always better to start up, finish down in my opinion. And very well done on the podium.

STILL no baby. I predict Tuesday evening. Didn’t manage parkrun in the end, and probably not a bad thing after feeling pretty tired on Saturday morning. Stuck with a recovery instead. Followed by refereeing in the afternoon.

Sunday saw some loops close to home, so a few laps of the bypass around the village. Didn’t quite have time for the originally planned for 15M, ended up with 12M at 6:54 pace, so a good effort. In fact, I find it pretty bloody hard to run this outside of a race.

• Joe...Good to see you heading in the right direction.

TR...Class tempo, all boding well for Abo.

SQ...Nice session, MLR and 12 miler. Keep us up to date on the new arrival.

AWC...glad to see the tapers going well, and that's a very good progressive LT run.

John...Sounds like beautiful trail running, good for the soul that sort of stuff.

HA77...Nice XC, good time and position, even with an impromptu swim  :D 

Steve...Excellent 10k, time and position is 1st class, brilliant running, well done.

I ran the A leg for our club in the NI & Ulster Road Relay Championships yesterday. It was 2 laps of Victoria Park, meaning a 3380 metre course, bit of a strange distance. My time was 10.24, so 4.56-ish minute miles for just over 2.10 mile, and i went through 3k in 9.14 , which i'm delighted with as the shorter stuff isn't really my forte at all, hurts too much  :D Team came 17th overall, so a good day out all round.

6 mile recovery this morning in the lashing wind and rain wasn't good for the incoming man flu i seem to be getting  :/:D  

• HA - maybe there’s hope for you in triathlon after all. Good to get that swim practice in. No shame in 9th, great place to build from.

Steve - cracking result mate, well done. Sounds like you paced it really well and are in top form right now. Keep on pushing!

SQ - excited for you. Hope for news soon. All the best.

Hamo - super fast stuff, very odd distance. Keep an eye on that man flu.

Met up with Macca on Saturday at Jersey Farm parkrun and got completely stitched up. We were having a good chat when the run director announced on the megaphone ‘we’ve actually got the holder of the Guinness world record for fastest marathon dressed as a swimmer amongst us’. Cue mass hilarity and laughter from the assembled runners - cheers Macca! All good fun though.  :D 

Sunday was up in Leicester for the half but it’d been cancelled on Thursday due to flooding. Did my own session instead which was meant to be 3 progressive 5 mile blocks but blew up pretty badly in the final 5. Still a long way off previous form!

• Quality racing Steve, Hamo & HA. 9th place at XC is outstanding from my experience.
    Good to see another forum reunion at parkrun too.
    Good luck SQ.
    I 'ran' Chester marathon yesterday. After running only 200M since July 1st it was never going to be pretty. I'd intended to go out at 8:30's & see how long I lasted but once I'd got going I realised I was running 8's pretty comfortably however I knew it wouldn't last as my legs lacked the strength/conditioning required to run a marathon & sure enough quads started grumbling around 10M in & the fierce headwind after 12M where I somehow ended up isolated was tough. Held on to halfway in 1:45:10 but a 180 degree turn round a cone at 13.7M was tough going & by the 15M feed station I walked up the small incline before jogging again. This strategy saw me through to the end with longer spells of walking/shuffling.
    I've never been so poorly prepared or hurt so much afterwards. Beat my 1st HM & M times though.
    Verdict on the event: not a PB course - far too undulating, good support in places though some mucky narrow lanes which were rather crowded especially once the Metric Marathoners joined in too. Nice medal & longsleeved top with thumbholes & key/gel pocket at the back. Baggage reclaim was a shambles - queue stretching for 100s of yds in a stiff n chilly breeze is far from ideal post marathon. Just fortunate it was sunny & we'd escaped the rain in the main.
  • Jooligan - I went down and watched yesterday morning at mile 15 (in holt, next to the DJ tent before you go over the bridge in England - its my parents village). I agree with your comments - its a tough course and not flat. I think after that bridge its basically up and down back into the city before one nasty hill up sandy lane. Great effort regardless with limited training and no doubt I inadvertently cheered you on!

Spoons - amazing result as other have said considering you walked and hopefully this is a one-off/you are feeling better now.

chicksta - great result and awesome outfit

Final week for me before Chicago. Slightly nervous - not run at this goal pace before (and feels like a while since my 15 @ MP) so not sure whether to play it safe or push a little (as I think I can go a bit faster than goal pace). Guess see how it goes on the day!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    That baby is reluctanr SQ.

Well done Steve, the 1/2 there is hilly so no doubt the 10k is too.

Jooligan - you nutter !

Did my last long run Saturday with 20m, rest day yday, as ive flared my groin up with recent quicker running. Will hopefully settle during the rest of the taper, as its all short stuff now.
  • More great racing, hamo.

A good, albeit very tough session, Joe. You're on the right track I'd say. 

That sounds tough going, Jools. At least you can reflect on what does and doesn't work for you in training. Out of interest, how many marathons have you done?

Taper well, TR. Cotton wool time. Get a massage booked it to help?

10M at 7:04s this morning, including 2M tempo and 10 x 2 minutes fast 1 minute easy. Nice fartlek style session, not looking at paces.

More importantly, I've had the green light: if baby is born the day Kipchoge breaks 2 hours, Eliud can be a middle name. Not quite sure if she is joking on this one. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SQ: great deal that SQ - lets hope its this weekend then!
    TR: take it easy during the taper, you've done some super consistent mileage over the whole block
    BH: good luck with all the logistics and travel to Chicago
    Joe/Macca: great pic!
    Jools: well done getting to the end - sounds tough!
    Hamo: sounds like a fun day out at the relays!
    Steve: great 3rd place result and plenty more to come if you felt you could have pushed even more
    HA: yeah I'm really looking forward to it. It was always a fall back race if the others didn't go well so now it just feels like a bit of a free hit as its my last race until 2020. I'm just planning a nice day out on the Ridgeway and Thames Path without any worries about qualifying for WS/UTMB. Weather looks decent - overcast and 13-16 degrees all day with a small chance of showers in the night section.
    Had another session with the run/movement coach yesterday. Was interesting to see that my running gait has changed a bit in the last 6 weeks. Better posture, landing etc. We were looking at foot push off yesterday so got a few drills to do on that in the coming weeks.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Jools, never one to let lack of preparation hold you back - like your style.

Great racing Steve - PB there for the taking

Hamo - agree about the short races. Apart from XC, I've not raced anything under a half marathon in years (actually can't remember the last 5 or 10k I've done). Great work on the relay, very good 3k time.

Nice thread catch up with Joe and Macca.

SQ - Sounds like a great session. Are you sure your wife knows you mean Eliud and not Eliot?

AWC - Sounds like you've done a properly thorough job of working on your form with the running coach. No doubt a big contributor to you recent improvement.

Just 10k at lunch today, with a couple of hilly off-road tempo laps of Basingstoke Common (~5k tempo section). Came very close to getting up for a run before work, but motivation still not quite there.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    BH Cheers for the support. Good luck with Chicago - I had a friend living there for a few years who tried to persuade me to come out for the marathon each year but I could never make the logistics viable.
    TR You've been a great example of hard work paying dividends & are in great shape - take it easy with that groin. No need to jeopardise things by pushing hard at this stage.
    SQ simple really - mileage works for me & cannot be substituted by cycling although that is a good way to get additional aerobic conditioning.
    Legs are starting to feel a bit better today. Managed a very easy cycle commute yesterday & a slightly quicker one today + a 5K track session at lunch with the kids. 5x100m strides then 5x400m off 200m. It was a case of gradually increasing the pace during the strides to prepare my legs for the 400s which came in at 1:40/1:40/1:41/1:39/1:38 so slightly quicker than MP when I'm training properly. Going to need to get a few steady miles in over the next 2 weeks so I can make a better fist of Snowdonia on the 26th :p
    Chick think I forgot to congratulate you on your fancy dress fun marathon which appears to have gone exceptionally well considering B)
    HA Just never yet had a DNS or DNF to my name. I'm too tight/stubborn to pay for a race then not run it all :D I'm sure sometimes I've pushed on when the right decision would've been to throw the towel in & save myself for another day however once I'd done that once it'd be so much easier to let the demon voice make me give up in every marathon & possibly a few HMs too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - sounds good, hope it goes well.

HA - maybe you need a big fixture on the horizon to give you the fear.

Jools - agreed im protecting what ive got.

My leg was sore last week, but ive strectched it loads and its eased, however its annoyed my long time groin/stomach issue. It would usually be sore after racing, not before.

I did the intended 9m today but didnt do the planned 6m tempo and it was ok. Must have had a good campaign as thats the first missed session, although i finished a couple of runs a bit early due to getting cold and wet.

A year ago i went to abo off a compromised build up and was cramped up at 21, 22, 25 and on the track at the end, ending up in 3.01, in my first mara since apr 2015. The aim of my sub3 comeback was to go to sub3 again as an m50 and ideally sub 255. So the plan for Abo will be 254, if i cant keep to it, it was too fast anyway. Hopefully that pace gives my hammies the best chance of not cramping.
  • Digging deep into the archives.....

Chicksta - thanks for the comments re UTMB.  Great pics from Berlin, that really looks a great way to run a marathon.  For context, your time would be classed as good for age for London....for an 18 year old.

Spoons - like your attitude. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s convinced you’ve a sizeable sub 2:40 in you, it will come.

Hamo - another great run, well done.  I must admit to struggling to compute a fast 3k time but a pair of sub 5min miles is very quick.

John - some great pics on Strava, just what we need as our damp grey evenings start to draw in 😀

Steve - a great 10k in less than optimal conditions and course, you’ll be revising that PB soon enough.

BH - all the best with Chicago, to coin TRs phrase “the corridor of uncertainty” is a good place to be.

Jools - well done for toughing  out Chester, hopefully some training stimulus for Snowdonia !

HA - there’s usually a bunch of photographers at these water features hoping for the worst, no photos anywhere ? Hopefully the racing will spark something, well done on the top ten anyway.

Reg - hope you’re recovering/recovered, your way with words doesn’t seem affected🤣

AWC - all the best for this Saturday. The logistics make it a great course, hope the weather is fair.

SQ - Eliud Sore Quads Jnr- I like it.

TR - I used to get a bit of cramping and remember hearing/reading a banana a day can help, might be mumbo jumbo but I seldom get it now.  Hopefully the taper will work it’s magic on the groin/stomache.

Great to see Joe at the weekend, looking remarkably fresh after a 40mile bike ride.  Apologies for the “stitch up “ but I thought it more news worthy than “so and so has managed to get out of bed X times on a Saturday morning”.

I’ve managed to get a decent amount of miles into the legs these last few weeks, possibly too much as speed seems to have deserted me so still no wiser on pace for Abo. An underwhelming performance might be what I need to kick on into spring so win win really.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Timely summary from Macca so I’ll jump in off the back of that  :D

HA - well done on XC, I can imagine it’s very competitive so 9th sounds great (esp. with a swim included). What do you think would be possible if you were back in top shape?

Steve - congrats on the 10k, great to see all the training you’ve done finally pay off. Do you have a HM coming up? The weather or course seems to have gone against you so far so you just need to pick the right race and there’s a big PB coming. 

Hamo - well done again, you must be lining up the races for the form you’re in at the moment. Great range of speeds as well. 

TR - hope the niggles disappear ASAP and you enjoy the taper. 2:54 would be a great outcome for all the training that you’ve been knocking out of the park. 

AWC - good luck this weekend, you’ve got the ultras sorted now so hope you have a great time. 

Blue Horseshoe - likewise good luck in Chicago, I’m sure you feel good on the day if you can stay off your feet. Check in on your effort at 5k and again at 10k and then decide. 

Jools - you’re a tough cookie! Great mental attitude and if nothing else it’s a good training session for upcoming races. 

SQ - like the choice of name, he would send the fear of god into his classmates when he starts school athletics! All the best for the arrival. 

Glad you enjoyed the photos, it’s a stunning location although hillier than my legs can handle. Hardly anyone on the trails and even managed to get 2nd in the local parkrun (you need to be staying on the island so it’s a bit random who turns up). The kids are already asking when they can go back but will need to get 2 jobs let alone 1 to afford it!

30km LR on Mon after I got back which included 5k finish at MP then 6x300m hills. Was moving at a snails pace by the hills but happy to see the GAP on Strava was pretty decent. 

Looking forward to the 1:59 challenge this weekend, really hope he comes in under. Tokyo is going to be epic if Bekele can stay fit. 
  • Joe...Nice reunion at parkrun.

Jools...Fair play to you giving it a rattle, good effort off an unconventional build up :D . Best of luck for Snowdonia, Chester will have helped prepare you a bit for that.

BH...See how you feel on the day. Best of luck for Chicago.

TR...fingers crossed it settles in the taper. Its been a brilliant, consistent build up campaign for you.

SQ...Nice fartlek. Fingers crossed for a Saturday birth then, Eliud would be a name and a half.

AWC...it's nice to see the improvements when you've worked hard at something, like you have, well done. Free hit is a class way to look at it, best of luck.

HA77...Motivation seems to be coming back a bit though, which is good to see.

Macca...I would highly doubt your Abo performance will be in any way underwhelming.

John...There is a coupe of races i like, and usually do at this time of the year, so just enjoying running them at the minute with no pressure. Last one is November, then it'll be head down and work hard over the winter for London, Long runs not races at the weekends again. Its nice to race when you're feeling good though, and it helps ease the boredom of base building while keeping you sharp. 
    Excellent Long run and Marathon pace finish, well done. Looking forward to the Ineos challenge myself.

Man flu had kicked in big style yesterday, having fought it off all weekend, so i was sensible (so very unlike me  :D ) and took the day, and Mondays planned evening run off. Felt slightly better today for it, so went out for a 14M MLR which went ok, bar all the coughing and spluttering :flushed::D , as i didn't really push the pace at all.
  • BH - Good luck for Chicago.
    Jools - Epic to finish off so little training.
    AWC - Good luck at A100.
    TR - Take care of that injury/niggle.
    John - Nice long run.
    Macca - I'm sure the pace will come back for Abo.
    No more races planned for this year, putting the finishing touches to some plans for Spring though!
    5 mile recovery on Tuesday and 10 miles today.