Sub 3

Comments

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Menn - that sucks. What have you been doing, exercise wise, over the 5 weeks?

Wardi - I've seen a few like that. She's already trying to claim the crate as her own. Positive with the MP.

TR - why use a bum bag instead of a backpack?

1hr easy this morning. Legs were in open revolt and I was overdressed so the pace was even slower than yesterday's LR, but it's actually nice to be able to feel the 'right' kind of pain again.
  • CD -- I don't remember hearing about the masters AG majors thing, but that is rather expensive for a party and a backpack!

TR -- I'll do my MP trial to HR and leg feel (back off if my calves are feeling like it's too much). It's more MP discovery than MP validation I need!

Nice parkrun, Padams, as ever.

Menn -- consolations.

• That marathon masters age group is ridiculous, but not surprising tbh. Any little new angle that can be exploited, will be exploited when it comes to runners, as long as there's a quick buck to me made, we are easy game in their books.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    £300!  That's about 10 times the price and doesn't even get you the posh loos on the Champs start (although disappointingly they are now just standard portaloos: the days of nicer toilets are far behind us...)

8 very soggy miles this morning.  Needless to say the sun is shining now.
  • Menn - can't believe i log back in after a few weeks and you are with injury struggles again. Hope the consultant can figure this one out quickly. 

Got my London GFA in the post today, which has nudged me to check in and say hello as work this month goes through one if its rare calmer periods.

Also to ask something that's been on my mind...can anyone suggest an online coach who could help me in my goal to get from a high 2:50ish now, to a mid-2:40ish next year? I could just follow a training plan to have a go at this but think a bit of interaction with an expert as I train could help get me that much closer. Thanks! 

10m steady run today, no rain for me, just a bit of head wind. 
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    CD - that made me laugh, thanks! Sounds a bit like AG tri stuff where you have to buy all the overpriced kit etc. But at least those are races that are only for the people who qualified, so a bit more exclusive.

7M at lunchtime and decided to do a 5M "tempo". Result was 28:15 and it took me a while to get going (first mile was only just under 6mins, rest averaged 5:3x), but to be honest it was probably harder than a real "tempo"!
  • To be honest, if I was coming from abroad, bearing in mind that getting an entry to VLM as an international runner is extraordinarily hard, it's probably a reasonable deal.  And if it was a similar price for the other majors, for which entry alone is well into three figures, I'd be tempted.

Sorry to hear that Menn, I don't know what to say really, but I hope it gets a diagnosis soon.

8 miles fairly easy with the lunchtime group today.  maybe some mile reps at the track later.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TT - i dont like a rucksack, it is a proper waist pack. In an ideal world i wouldnt commute run, but its a good use of time.

CW - sounds good, i hope to do some mp in my 12m Saturday.

Padams - rapido !

TGO - stevie and menn both use on line coaches.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TGO - you and I are in the same boat but now that Jools has said the bogs are standard I might just retire and bin off this fanciful dream of one day being good enough to run 2:44:59! 

Menn - as others, sad times. Sorry to hear your woes continue. Makes the above comment even more ridiculous.

CW - good luck on the voyage of discovery. I still predict good things sunday week. You are quality. 

Padam - speaking of quality - top tempo-ish.

TT - embrace the pain :)

TR - these short runs must be messing with your head? 

My GFA pack came today too, should get round to booking that budget hotel. I need a p.a. to do all this for me.

Didn't make the club last night as late home from work...again. so an hour last night then 5 x 1km in my lunch hour. Averaged around 3:35s so good speed in the legs. Opted for those reps instead of P&D 3 x 1 mile since I've gone all metric ! Its kept me interested the last couple of weeks at least. 

Obviously with more time on my hands I'm reviewing training blocks over the past year. I think I may be slightly down on tempo's and probably haven't done enough fast finishes to my LSR this campaign compared to MCR in April. maranoia in full swing at this end :)

Ordered what will be my race day shoes today too. Opted for 2019 version which could be a risk but they were £5 more than last years. Wish I had gone for the standard blue but went for black with luminous yellow. Ewwww

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - the short runs do get a bit wtfp, but its a case of following what i did last time. You're on mara 4 in a row and won't be getting slower,  your VoY time compared to a year ago bodes well......my newer trainers (for Abo too) are all grey !
  • Menn -- sorry, I meant commiserations not consolations!

SJ -- looks like you're in good form, go well.

Padams -- cracking tempo.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - will you do Manc and vlm ? 3 wks between is do-able i reckon. I didnt get anything from vlm so maybe they missed me, but i only want it as a Brighton back up, so no big deal.
  • TR - if I did MCR too it would be as a last long run I think. Might be worth it as it's one ticked off with company. 

I follow a few sub elites on strava and they often do their second run around 3-4 miles (20-25 mins) which is purely as active recovery and to log the volume. Some of those must feel a bit like not worth bothering me with. 

You're right. Shouldn't be slower and that VoY run was a confidence boost but run on feel. Will do the same at York. 
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

swift tempo that Padams!

and good leg speed indeed there SJ.  I have to keep telling myself that i'm backing up a few marathons now, and have done more consistent training than a long time, so should just trust it when i have runs that are worse than i hoped.  will find out in 10 days anyway!

Getting a bit of time on feet now TT which is good as well - you can't expect that massive upward improvement back towards form to not slow down a bit!

TR - i didn't used to like running with a rucksack - but like everything you get used to it - esp if you find one that is comfortable/fits and light.  I stick with the OMM ones and they work well, and i can fit lots in them for jog commuting so i never need to be too organised.  your niggles settling down?

LMH - seems you might be getting a bit more spritely at the right time, x fingers.

CD - i'm thinking about chasing the marathon majors list (subject to getting back under 245 again), how long would a sub 245 last for to get someone into Tokyo?  That seems the hardest one to get into.  Peeved coudln't do Berlin, so will eb a while till i can tick them all off as only on NY and London at present!

Well, i didn't don the race shoes, but got out for 12 miles yesterday around a slightly breezy regents park, was OK run, but glutes/hips and hammies still got quite sore, and HR went a lot higher than i woudl have liked. Did 8 miles at avg 6:12s in middle. Compared to pre 2015 (2:43 marathon) and pre 2016 (2:41) it was closer to the 2015 test runs than 2016 so maybe the PB hopes are slipping.  I seem to have stagnated since the 5km pb actually, and wonder if that has hindered more than helped me - but as above - have to remind myself, i'm in pretty good shape and have done the most consistent training i have ever managed for a marathon.  But i am nearly 48, not a spritely 44... hmm.

then i think - but i have the magic shoes!!!  :)  Will try them out for final 12 miles on Saturday with maybe 6 at MP.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Sj - id say smash manch, and then take vlm as it comes. Id do Brighton and vlm with 3 weeks between. Im toying with a yeovil replacement 2 weeks after brighton as it is.

Selbs - you are in better shape than a year ago and like you say HR sets the pace. If you can kerp healthy all the way through to vlm then you'll go quicker again.

OO - got some red flynits off nike website for 66 (use oct20 for 20%), blue ones would have been 55, but they didnt have my size. 50 to 60ish is my standard trainers price range so happy days.

8m inc 3x1m ~hmp, my leg was good so happy with that as i was a bit reluctant to ask the qusetion in case i didnt like the answer, the stomach groin area is still angry but not like it used to be, i had to stop totally then. I dont need to be anywhere near hmp at Abo, so hopefully ill be ok despite a bit of discomfort, but after 18m everything will be hurting anyway.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 miles for me this morning. Rest day tomorrow before the cross country season starts on Saturday!

Selbs: it sounds like you are in good shape and on for a pb with a following wind.

TR: glad the leg is happier!
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

more good miles Joolska.  Yup, i just need a following wind the whole way, no probs!

TR - good effort, and hope the groin and leg continue to settle - be nice to at least get to 16-18 miles BEFORE anything starts hurting too much.  feels just about like cotton wool time..

• selbs - for what it's worth I think you need to back off and freshen up. Sounds as though that 5k may need a little more recovery from than you've given it. No training benefit to be gained now, you know that. I'm feeling in a much better place about York mentally at least. I would hope that worst case scenario is another comfortable sub 3 and it's giving me the opportunity to try something new to sort my stomach issues plus the bonus of Wardi's company of course! Work stress will ramp up next week which is bad timing in one way but in another as I'm tapering I should hopefully be able to absorb it better - as long as nothing else happens family wise of course.

Nice midweek miles Joolska.

Sounds mostly positive TR. Hope your groin niggle improves too.

sj - I'd be tempted to run Manchester hard and then see where I was come VLM.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TR - Cheers, on it and ordered.  Blue is the colour.  £55 bargain. 
    SJ - I've run 2017 Manc/ VLM and 2019 Paris/VLM 3 and 2 weeks apart, full efforts between 2.50-2.46 and VLM both times around a minute quicker and oddly felt easier too.   Recovery was key, as was the upfront aim of running the second faster. 
    Recovery  time now October 20th marathon runners, less is a lot more. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to do a half later this year to run a more respectable time than my safety first Champs qualifier and the best weekend is 16/17 November.  Anyone done either Gosport or St Neots?  Pros/cons?
  • I did St Neots many years ago. Not as flat as you'd think - but not a problem for you running round Bristol usually. Was well organised. I think the main issue with Gosport could be the weather.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good, shame i was too late for the blue ones.

Jools - gosport is quick, but at the mercy of the wind as its all seafront based. Lots of running in straight lines, 2000 runners so loads to run with. Id expect to go 60 to 90sec quicker if i had run Solent 1/2 om gosport route.....biggest plus is me......biggest negative is its closed. There is a waiting list but its more than 100 long. Youd have got in a week ago too.
  • I hope those with a marathon coming up are enduring/enjoying the taper.

After shaking off cold last week, I did a session on Thursday which included 2x4 miles at MP. It felt great so I was starting to feel confident of sub3... then 2 days later after a rest day I turned up at my usual parkrun, planning on going full gas and expecting 18:3X. Ended up running !9:19 and that was on the limit.. can only assume the virus and fatigue from session was still in body.

TR - what trainers are using for Abo? Have you done a few races in them? I will be in my usual Bostons but getting tempted to try out the Nike bouncy ones at some point.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TIck Tock - im on rides now instead of nimbus. I did Yeovil in them, and my summer trail races. I have a newish pair for Abo. I also have the fly flynits for gosport, but if i go sub 255 im getting some of the faster ones for racing and will do my winter and spring races in them with a view to using them for maras next year.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Didn't have my specs on at first TickTock, I thought it read 24m @ MP. :o  I guess the 2 x 4m will have taken the edge off your 5k speed but all should come good in the taper.
    Padams
    .. that is great tempo speed to sustain outside of a race!
    TGO.. welcome back aboard, best of luck with the sub 2:45 program.
    SJ.. if the conditions are good for the first marathon I would go for it, the weather at VLM is notoriously variable.
    Selbs.. keep the faith!  I would guess all the quality sessions are still leaving a touch of fatigue in your legs.  As long as you simmer down from now you should freshen up nicely.  Having said that I'm going for a Parkrun blast on Saturday!
    SC2.. speaking of Parkrun how did yours go last weekend? 
    TR.. good session today, hope you can shake off the last of the aches & niggles.
    LMH.. not counting my chickens yet but the forecast for here & Abo looks promising as it stands.  I could do without another drenching like last year - it was tolerable during the race but I got cold very quickly once I finished.
    Good to see some impulsive shoe purchases - I have 3 models of NB shoes which suit me but finding a bargain in my size is a rarity.  If I do spot a decent price I've taken to buying them even if I don't need them straight away.  Two boxes sitting in the cupboard as I speak. :) 
    8m here today, managed to dodge quite a few showers.  It is currently pouring it down.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Wardi - im with you, i have two more pairs of rides still in the box £50ish. They will get me through to Spring.
  • I stockpile my Bostons when I fend them cheap too. Tempted to try the magic shoes but don't know how Nike sizing compares with the Adidas and can't justify the expense.

Wardi - will our sherpas be near us at the start or do I need to bring a throwaway top to wear until the B? I'll pack my lucky poncho if I remember, purchased for £1 to wear at the start of wet races and haven't yet needed it when I've remembered to take it with me.......

TickTock - I think it's quite surprising how long these viruses can linger especially when we try to get back into training and ask our bodies for a bit of effort. Hope you are fully over it soon.

Looking at today's forecast I'm actually pleased I'm tapering and it's only a short run!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The 4% shoes were 160ish recently too, i might have missed the boat, but wont purchase if i dont go well at Abo anyway. Even if they only lasted 300m then thats a lot of races, and only adds a little to each race entry.

4m in the pissing rain here, good job its mild at the mo.

12m tommorrow with some mp miles in there.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. there is no parking anywhere near the start so our support crew will have to leave once we are dropped off. I take a kitbag with change of clothes for the finish, flask of tea/coffee, old disposable t-shirt or fleece/poncho depending on weather & temps.  The bag drop is pretty straight forward.  There is a building where you can buy hot drinks but the queues are long which is why I take my own.
    Luckily I got a free poncho at the Barca marathon which was an absolute godsend at York last year!
  • TR  - theres a 20% off discount code for sportshoes, SDA7 I'll be using it to get the Next % for VLM. I do love my On Cloud X but I was almost the only person not in the nikes at my pace in Berlin. Glad the groin is feeling better, cotton wool time now!

TGO - I can highly recommend my coach Lewis at New Levels Coaching. Id just ran 3.22 at London when I joined and started 16 weeks before Abo last year. Ive since ran 2.55, 2.53 and 2.48.

SJ - Will be good to see you at VLM next year. I'd go for Manchester then just see how I felt at VLM, just enjoy the day out! Speedy K reps

Nice to see some taper jitters starting to appear from Selbs & Ticktock!

Having an extended rest after Berlin so not much running here, I also picked up a cold so its pretty well timed. The rest was broken up by the 6 stage relays last weekend as the club was short. Hadn't ran a step since the marathon until the warm up so legs felt a bit heavy. Ran 21.59 for the 5.88k loop so 6min/m avg, not too bad post marathon! Off on holiday next week and then I'll get back to it for Telford 10k and then VLM training