Running Shoes

13»

Comments

• Have to say that I cannot complain about my Asics Gel Nimbus 20's, I find them super comfortable and can usually find them at a discounted price on the Asics website around Black Friday/Christmas. Just gutted that I'm a 2E width - barely any colours for my width and the Nimbus 21's in Black/Grey just don't look that nice
  • Hello. Shoe question. I would appreciate you advice. I was a beginner runner a couple of Years ago. I gave up. Now I’m heavier than ever, the shoe shops are shut and I need to get fit. When I used to run I wore a pair of Aisics which I was told were neutral. I’m afraid I can’t remember the model but I used to get a lot of knee pain. Then I tried a pair of cheap primark plimsoles. I didn’t have any problems. Could you recommend a better pair of shoes please?
  • Hi - I’m also new to this running Malarky. Although my girlfriend and I started the C25K and we are just reaching our last run (week 9)
    I am knocking at the door of 140kilo and I am crazy confused with which type of footwear to go for. <div>I Used to play tennis regularly and i play in Adidas Barricades religiously because they are the best for my knees/ ankles etc. </div><div>So far in my couch to 5k running I have been running in Adidas terex walking trainers. And now we are about to finish the couch to 5k my gf unleashed me to buy a new set of “proper” running trainers as a treat. As we would like to push on to more regular running. 
    </div><div>In a fit of excitement and panic buying (before she changed her mind) I went and bought some Hoka one one carbon x2’s
    as soon as I had them delivered I realised I may have made a mistake.
    we run around our local parkway on grass and little bits of road and gravel. Are these trainers suitable for that? The terex trainers I have are like winter tyres on the sole and these Hokas are quite smooth. Although the terex do hurt my feet/ knees after a 30 min run. </div><div>This is something I’m hoping that a good set of running trainers will help me with. Recovering from one run to the next run. </div><div>Sorry for rambling on. I am starting to get the enjoyment of running. And I am already starting to feel the health benefits. </div><div>
    </div>
  • strangerThongs my (very) unprofessional opinion. Not used the Carbons but from a brief read you should be fine to use those. Sole of the shoe is quite robust as well so any type of surface should be good

I've had a pair of Hoka Clifton 7s and I did find they wore out quickly but they are by far the most comfortable I've had.

If you are sticking to running grass, trails, mud and rock as apposed to road maybe do some research on a trail shoe after those are done. I stick to 95% road so look for comfy long distance shoes, currently running Saucony Endorphin Shifts and they seems to be holding up much better than the Hokas
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi strangerThongs - congratulations on reaching your C25K goal and for being keen to carry on running. 

The best bit of advice I can offer is to try and visit your local running shop, if there's one near you. They will be able to do some gait analysis on you to find out what type of running shoe would be suited to your running style that would offer the best in terms of mitigating any potential injuries.

I'm not familiar with the Hoka One One Carbon x2's but if they're similar to my Nike Flyknit 3s then I'd be reluctant to wear them over anything other than a solid surface - a) I'm a tart who really doesn't like getting £150+ runners dirty and b) I'm not sure I'd get the best performance out of them on grass. 
  • I’m going to ask for opinions on mine also please! I’m currently running in Under Armour Mojo trainers - I don’t think they are necessarily a running shoe, but haven’t caused me any problems up to half marathon distance. That said, i would like to look into some made specifically for running - would anyone know what type would be the equivalent (are they cushioned, lightweight, stability etc?!)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    dn12345 - try finding a review on your existing UA shoes to find out what type they are, or a good shoe retailer should say what type they are.   But if they're not running shoes, they're likely to be neutral.
  • > @strangerThongs said:
    > Hi - I’m also new to this running Malarky. Although my girlfriend and I started the C25K and we are just reaching our last run (week 9)
    I am knocking at the door of 140kilo and I am crazy confused with which type of footwear to go for. <div>I Used to play tennis regularly and i play in Adidas Barricades religiously because they are the best for my knees/ ankles etc. </div><div>So far in my couch to 5k running I have been running in Adidas terex walking trainers. And now we are about to finish the couch to 5k my gf unleashed me to buy a new set of “proper” running trainers as a treat. As we would like to push on to more regular running. 
    </div><div>In a fit of excitement and panic buying (before she changed her mind) I went and bought some Hoka one one carbon x2’s
    as soon as I had them delivered I realised I may have made a mistake.
    we run around our local parkway on grass and little bits of road and gravel. Are these trainers suitable for that? The terex trainers I have are like winter tyres on the sole and these Hokas are quite smooth. Although the terex do hurt my feet/ knees after a 30 min run. </div><div>This is something I’m hoping that a good set of running trainers will help me with. Recovering from one run to the next run. </div><div>Sorry for rambling on. I am starting to get the enjoyment of running. And I am already starting to feel the health benefits. </div><div>
    </div>

I know this post is a month old, hope you're still here!

I just got HOKA Clifton 8 running shoes. I had my gait analysed (neutral) and tried 5 different shoes before settling on these and they are great. It's like running on clouds.

I got them because I'm a big guy - around 128kg (but steadily getting lower) and the support and cushioning has been really effective.
  • Glad you're still running Daniel (name change confused me there) and that you got sound advice. Looks like the weight is flying off going by your earlier post.
  • > @Guarddog said:
    > Glad you're still running Daniel (name change confused me there) and that you got sound advice. Looks like the weight is flying off going by your earlier post.

Name change? I'm not the OP lol, I was just checking if they were still around :) The weight is coming off quite well though - i was 137.5kg at the beginning of august and down to 127.5kg today :)