Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. large bowl of cereal & banana for breakfast, fish pie with lots of bread tonight.
    Selbs/TR.. you have both put a very decent campaign together, hope you get your just rewards on Sunday
    My only sign of taper madness was the beginnings of a cold sore early this week - I haven't had one of those in years!  It has subsided so no other worries for the moment.  Marathon haircut done & 4m steady today - even the sun was out!
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    ES - Hope the Vaporflys work out for you, mine felt great from the first wear, although I used them for a steady 12M run before their marathon debut. Have you got the 4% or N%xt version?

Talking of taper madness... Bit of an odd day today, been feeling like I'm getting the lovely cold that Mrs Al_p has had since last week and this morning at work was starting to feel quite ropey. I umm'd & err'd about going out for my planned 4-5M with strides at lunchtime. Persuaded myself that I'd probably feel better for going out than not, so got my kit on. Sat down before venturing out and checked my RHR, which was a very pleasing 36bpm, so there couldn't be too much wrong! The 1st couple of miles my head felt a bit light, but legs were working well. Tried some strides which felt comfy & can out pretty speedy (between 5-5:30/M). Got back to work and felt fine. Average HR efficiency was really decent for me (923bt/M) too. Sat this evening I still don't feel 100% , but clearly all systems are firing, just hoping if I've got a bug it clears offf before Sunday

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Al - i reckon we all have colds as its our bodies getting ready for the storm ahead.

Wardi - good idea on the trim up, I'll get my clippers out tomorrow and have a full on head 360.
  • Hello guys, a lot of reading here and I’ve been through enough for tonight. I’m doing my 3rd and 4th marathons next year and have been let down in the final 10k of my previous attempts where I feel like I’ve left 5-8 minutes out there by running out of gas. So I’m looking to train more thoroughly this year. If someone can point me in the direction of training plans for 2.40 2.45 so I can have a look at them and get some ideas.
  • Hi dougie - I don't use a plan myself but many are fans of P&D.

Strange Al - hopefully just taper madness.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Just popping back in to wish York and Abingdon runners good luck :)

Tame that bloody underpass that cost me a 2:39 back in 2010 will ya ;) 
  • Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Been reading along in the background and will be willing you all on at the weekend.

DBS.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dougie - that plan would sell millions of copies, it doesnt exist. A plan delivers fitness not times. Pick one that is managable and see where you end up (is how ir works).

Jock - blimey, i dont remember it being that steep or long. But will bear you in mind when i get to it.

Selbs - forecast looks good, might be a bit chilly, i will bring gloves or i wont be able to open gels.

Back is easing, hip is still tight, but i think thats due to some of the exercises giving me doms in it, so im stopping the more aggressive stretching now. Shivers have gone, just a blocked head, which will clear when i gey running. Its all coming together nicely.

2m easy, felt better than yday,  2 more days to improve further. 2 more days til beer time !
  • Dougie 167 - P&D is a good shout - Ive used it over several campaigns and got down to the times youre aiming for. 

Theres just too much on this weekend between life and rugby and you lot putting the graft in. 

Good Luck to all racing. 
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Welcome Dougie, i don't follow a particular plan, but when i have run to what you are after, it's generally been down to lots of consistent miles for a good block, and the key sessions for me are the medium long run (13-14 miles for me some do longer) with 8-10 miles of effort (circa goal marathon effort or pace), and the long run.  Usually aim to get minimum of 5 long runs totalling 110 miles or more, and ideally get 8-10 long runs in of 20 miles + over the campaign.

JI - congrats on the cabbage patch 10, i read the good write up on FB.

TR - yup cold, i just bought a couple of cheap pairs of gloves so i have a pair to wear and throw if needed.  I preferred the forecast a couple of days ago, the one i see now has it breezy (15-25km/hr). c'es la vie.

Al_P - good signs. more madness.

I'm still not sleeping well, and still got sore hips/glutes, but like you TR will start to ease off on the self massage and "testing" them, and hope 2 days rest see me raring to go Sunday morning.  I plan to get there early to nab a locker/prob be sitting in the mens locker rooms/showers having a cuppa for a while if anyone else early.

Good luck again everyone up north too!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Selbs - what do you call early? I was aiming 7.30 in college car park, and then get in (amd stay in portaloo) queue, i kept giving up and coming back later last yr, but was then last one in queue and made start with all of 1 min to go. I will look for you in changing rooms.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    TR, i will aim to find a park near the pub first, hopefully around 7am, give myself contingency to then go to the colege carpark if can't find a park - so aim to be at the changing rooms/lockers maybe 7:15-7:30. might even be able to get a loo inside at that time for a no.2 sit down which will be required no doubt!!
  • Reading this forum makes me feel more normal :-)

Good to hear that the niggles are easing. My physio sorted my back out beautifully and told me that my legs were good to go - though she did say that I should take my spiky ball and roll around on it once we arrive tomorrow evening and again Sunday morning as my left piriformis is tight - which was quite interesting as it feels as though it's my hamstring when I'm running.

Four miles for me this morning. Not as easy as it should have been but i did enjoy stretching the legs a bit though that only resulted in two miles at what needs to be a comfortable marathon pace. I'm just hoping the magic happens when I pin the number on!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Will look out for you then selbs.

LMH - 2m is more rhan enough.
  • TR - it wasn't that steep or long, it just broke me  :dizzy:
    Selbs - thanks. not bad for a V50. 

From what I remember with Abo then there is residential parking over the road.
  • Jooligan -- yes I do wonder whether the Camino ultra last summer, and then the 100K race I did this summer, contributed to my decline -- my muscles did feel exquisitely wrecked this time especially, as if I'd really ruined them.

TR -- sorry about your pre-race back/hip/cold woes, hope you're all good to go on Sunday.

I checked last night and see I totally failed to enter York via BMAF, so I'll be back one pen with no M45 sticker -- schoolboy error.

Good luck all!
  • good luck all, hope no one affected by that bloody lurgy. Still coughing a bit here. 

One of those races that sans famillie I might have popped over and watched. About 1 hour drive from mine. Do you get folk doing a Sunday run watching at the same time? My mate did 17 supporting us at Berlin!
  • I thought that was pretty darn good for a V50 too, JI.  You've still got it, it just takes a bit longer to find it.

I did think there were fewer <60 min finishers than there used to be though - it's long been one of the biggest and best club-run races out there, I hope it's not in decline, being overtaken by the commercial ones.

CW - you might be right, but it could be they've just played havoc with your usual indicators of form.  Don't panic, once you get going your metronomic form will take over and you'll be fine.  That, and the magic shoes!

Good luck to all at the weekend.  DBS and all that. 
  • It's good to hear that you enjoyed the race Jock. Missed that in the pre marathon excitement.

Sorry to hear that you're still under the weather Simon.

Oh dear Charlie - you'll have to slum it with the rest of us (apart from Al of course) :-)

Tr - can you break the journey up and get out for a wander every half hour or so to help keep things moving?
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TR/ LMH - In terms of journeys, I have 2 running mates from Cornwall at York (England vests), who left this morning and will be back Monday.  Took less time getting to/ from the Barcelona marathon. 
    Great to see you back Jooligan, and back to enjoying it the Jooligan way. 
    CW - Those super-long runs must unbalance the normal flow for a while.
    Conditions look great for both York & Abingdon.  Run Well. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - ill have to stop for a pee on the way no doubt as its a 90min drive.

OO - thats what puts me off doing Manch or York , itd rack up some £'s too.
  • You wouldn't have quite so far to go to get to either though TR.

Carb loading going well here and I'm busy mopping up some free radicals with a glass of red too:-)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I always think Barca is a very stress free marathon the way everything is organised over there.  Easy for spectators to get around too.  However it looks like 'trouble at mill' over there currently so I will hang fire on booking anything for next spring until it settles down or implodes!
    Charlie.. after 2 marathons in 7 weeks earlier this year, on reflection I got back into running far too quickly (should know better at my age :| ).  I remember running a 10k two & a bit weeks later and it was like driving with the brakes on.  So yes, those ultras may have emptied the tank somewhat.  See you with the rest of the peasants on Saturday.  :)
    Jock.. that's a cracking run for a senior gent at Cabbage Patch, is that about the peak racing distance you can cope with? 
    LMH.. if you are bringing a spiky ball it's a good job we don't have a cat anymore!  
    Good to see the Abo discussion is evenly split between the marathon and the post race pub!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - still a 4 or 5 hr drive, and an exp(o ?) the day before, and a couple of stop over nights, though. I like Yeovil best, park next to the start and run round the countryside.

Gel belt loaded and number pinned to T shirt. Anyone have any idea if Dan is running?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. Dan is long term injured (achilles), hoping to be back before Xmas! 
    LMH.. pasta intake done tonight, a couple of beers with the lads will have to do for hydration purposes.  :p
  • Al, I've got the Vaporfly Next%.

TR - I reckon I'm in PB shape so that would be sub 2:50.

Not sure about arriving for the race at 7:30! We're staying in a hotel a couple of miles away so I was thinking of arriving around 8 to 8:15, having hopefully got all of the bathroom stuff done at the hotel!
  • No number collection for York TR - it came in the post. You would be welcome to break the journey here.

Sorry to hear about Dan. I was only thinking of him yesterday as I dug out my Xempo vest for inspiration. Please give him my best.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shame for Dan then, he might be there with Xempo anyway.

ES - im not attaching my elastic to you then.

LMH - ooh thanks. How far from yours to Manch or York ?

Took the doggy out before tha rugby, and the bonus of only running 2m today was i could watch the rugby first, stange running 2m on a saturday a few weeks back i was doing 22m more.
  • You are always welcome if we're here TR. We are in Derby so about an hour and  a half to York and one and three quarters to Manchester.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10 miles with 4 X 1500m (ish!): 5.58, 5.50, 5.50, 5.45.

But the main focus is on tomorrow's racers: run to effort not to pace; be brave but don't be greedy; and Don't Be Shit.