Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• I'm not fond of the pink either. I like my 4% (I'm wearing them in my Kingston photos) - nice colour and I don't look like I have giant anime-style feet when I wear them. That said, if they bring them out in blue, I'm be tempted.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - don't worry about your weight, it's more important to be at a weight you feel comfortable with and can maintain without depriving yourself and keeps your energy levels constant.

My body fat percentage is too high which I thought it would be, so plan to reduce it.

That's annoying about your car.  Can't they come to you, I've had mine repaired through the insurance and Autoglass have always come to me, once when I was at work too.

Or can you go for your run while the car is in the garage, or will you have the children with you?

Cal - that Nike pink is very girly pink, bit Barbie. 

I've noticed on some runners the shoes look huge but not on other runners, maybe it depends on their running action.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    I dread to think what my body fat is like! I've never had it measured. 

No - they can't come to me - its autoglass but because of the size of the windscreen it has to be done at the garage. Very annoying. I might try and run while I'm waiting but I'm worried about getting cold as realistically my run is only going to be 30 mins and I'm going to have to wait at least 90. I'll work it out somehow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - you could find a cafe, have a coffee, say 30 mins then go for run and back for another coffee.  Take a fleece you could tie round your waist or ask the cafe to look after it for you. 

Not very comfortable driving around with a damaged windscreen so it has to be done.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I definitely think there’s a lot that can be done without the shoes to make larger differences. Training, weight, food, strength work etc etc.  Speaking of shoes though, my three main pairs of marathon shoes are all at nearly 600 miles and are towards the end of their lives. However, I wore a brand new pair last week in Sofia, and two more pairs turned up today :) Trouble is these three pairs are all exactly the same colour/model...

Louey, there’s a small change in the right direction with the hip. I did manage 7 miles today and it wasn’t too bad, but at last week’s marathon the pain came on at 9 miles. I’m not sure how I’m going to play it on Sunday. Probably I’ll decide on the start line or in the first mile depending on how I’m feeling.

I’m travelling tomorrow and hoping to do the parkrun in Chelmsford on Saturday, seeing a couple of old friends in Ipswich on Saturday afternoon, and then the race is on Sunday. It’s quite a drive from here (4.5hrs-ish) but I’m looking forward to the weekend. Haven't seen these friends for a long, long time.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha ha at the shoes turning up... It's a bit like your 'might have entered'.  Just seems to have happened.  ;)

Write on the edge of the sole in biro so you can number the shoes.  They're certainly doing you well those shoes.

Over the last couple of years I seem to get more mileage from my shoes, maybe it's more durable materials in the soles of the newer shoes.

That's a big improvement with the hip, keep up with the stretches.

Have a good trip, hope the M25 is kind to you.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Little tip I got off shades works great,and I now write a number on the heel of each shoe,as mine are often the same,to keep track.
    Shades-Good news about the new guides,should mean the older models lower in price,even though it doesn't seem to have happened as much recently.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, these ones are good shoes.  Do you remember I got a free pair of Asics when I did that RW interview?  Those are what I run marathons in now - they're called Roadhawks.  I'd never worn them before that interview, but they're great for marathons.  Light weight compared to my training shoes, but enough support for me.  I tend to be able to get them for around £50-£55, so good value as well.

Ian/Shades, thanks for the tip on marking the shoes.  I'll do that.
  • Just a flying visit.... hope everyone is well

Big G well done, Sofia has made my list, I'm not phased by a boring marathon, I pretty much focus on the watch when I'm running for a time so could be running anywhere.  Heard positive things about Chelmsford hope you enjoy it.

Jelly well done on the marathon, glad you're staying motivated always hard to do after an achievement like DD.

Cal, hope all goes well on Sunday, you're in fine form and enjoying your running, hope it all comes together for you.

Louey I enjoyed Abingdon, (see my comment to G, I love 'boring' marathons) flast and fast just flicking through my photos from 4 years ago as they came up in my memories on facebook.

Another no for myself and Elle in the London ballot.  I have been drafting races for next year, most of them low key, local races no pressure on time just have fun and eat cake.  My birthday is May 10th a Sunday, there are a few races but dont want to book anything as 6 days later I've still got NDW50 miler booked.

Progress is slow but steady on the recovery, parkrun last week was 2 mins faster (31.30) than the week before, with alot more jogging /running.  Went to see my physio who was amazed at the progress I'd made, given me some exercises to follow and increase loading.  Will probably be re assessed in about 6 weeks time.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - the women's ISO 1 are still at 39.99 but in white/mint or white, not nice colourways.  I've seen the ISO 2's at 59.99 now but bizarrely the Guide 9's that I'm keeping an eye on are still £69.

Big G - that was really lucky that you were given those shoes.   I guess we never get a chance to try out all the shoes that might suit us, I have a huge wish list which far exceeds my financial budget.

Robert - bad luck on the London ballot but good that you're putting your plans together for next year.

Great news on your progress on return to fitness, 2 minutes is a massive improvement in a week, you must be starting to feel good now.

8 miles for me this morning, went to bed an hour later hoping I'd sleep on a bit later but my body is so used to getting up early that I woke at 4:30.   Had hoped to set out for run at dawn but too impatient so went out at 6 a.m. Had a good run and when it did get light came back on a different route and great joy, my kingfisher is back.   :)   Haven't seen him for at least 6 months and had almost given up hope of him returning.
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Shades, not that disappointed with London, it would be nice to run again, but plenty of other races which I'll enjoy more.  

I've never been one to blame shoes on an injury until recently, I put my adrenalines on recently for the 1st time in 16 months and they felt a very different shoe to my guides, full of support and have ran a couple of times and no PF.  It may just be a mental thing but think I'm going to make the switch back, unfortunately never see the Brooks heavily discounted.

brighton marathon £75!!! No thanks 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I switched to the Guides when I found the cushioning in the Brooks insufficient, but I love the shape of the Brooks last, really suits my foot, and I still have one pair in my training stable.   
    I spoke to the Brooks rep at the Loch Ness Expo, he said the cushioning in the 2016 & 2017 models had been reduced and now they have rectified that, but he couldn't persuade me to try a pair on.

You're right, unless you have a tiny ladies foot you never see the Adrenalines at a bargain price, very popular shoes.

Ouch to price of Brighton Marathon, I don't think that even includes a shirt, plus you have to go the day before and queue for hours to get your number.   Very pricey parking in Brighton too.   Plenty other good marathons to do without robbing the bank.
  • Brighton is overhyped and overpriced. The route isn't even that nice (not that I've run it, but I watched a video of the course - it looks pretty boring, especially that horrible power station bit). Part of me wouldn't rule it out completely as I was born there, so it's sort of a home marathon, although not really (I never lived there).
    I've heard Manchester is not doing a T-shirt for next year - there's quite a bit of outcry on social media so they might relent. I actually like getting a shirt for marathon (bragging rights) - I really don't care when it's shorter races, though.

My left glute has been horrible, especially yesterday. I don't think it likes me sitting so much. Damn tapers. I did a nice 4 miler this morning - it was actually sunny, but the sun is low now so it's that pain in the butt time of year when you're forever being blinded if you're running towards it. Pace felt easy but was actually sub-10. I hope that's a good sign things are coming together.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - of course there's now pressure to reduce plastics and unnecessary products and for some that includes race shirts.  Some races will use that as an excuse to make a bit more money if they don't reduce the entry fee accordingly

I get too many shirts and have to bin half of them as they don't fit so I'd be happy to pay a lower fee for no shirt and then pay extra for a shirt that is the right size that I would want to wear, but don't want to be charged a rip off fee for it.

Hope your glute is just complaining as it doesn't like tapering.

Not sure if I'll be on later so I just want to wish you good luck for York on Sunday.  I expect you're leaving early tomorrow and too busy packing, faffing and then catching up with Colin to post on here. ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That’s expensive for Brighton. I suppose never say never, but can’t see me doing that. It’s not on my list anyway.

Robert, nice to read you’re looking at some potential events next year, and great the physio is impressed with your improvement too. Regarding Sofia marathon, there are quite a few similar-sounding races that way, sponsored by Wizz Air airline, although not all marathons. Their site even has some stuff about preparing for a marathon. 
    https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/about-us/wizzrunning/

Cal, if I’m not on before you leave, best of luck for the weekend. 

Got here safely but ended up being 5.5hrs (stopped once in Reading). No real reason as traffic was moving, but it was pretty heavy on M25. Then I hit Chelmsford around school kicking out time, so very slow for the last 2 miles. 

I’m staying at a central Premier Inn, which are always comfortable. Having never been here before I’m going to go and get my bearings later. The race itself starts in the town centre (about 5mins from hotel), so I’ll sort all that out to know where I am, and find somewhere to eat a bit later. Think I’ll just take it easy this evening as have a busy-ish day planned tomorrow.  
  • Thanks folks. Good luck to you, Big G. My glute knot seems to have eased a bit today. Going to take the Theragun with me anyway. Hope Colin doesn't think it's a sex toy.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Have a great race on sunday,hopefully be reporting on sub 4.
    Big G/Louey-Good luck on both races and hooe it goes well.
    Not been able to run for a couple of days as work has really got busy,hopefully get a bit done over the weekend.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I meant to say earlier, there’s a great podcast with Kara Goucher (testified against Salazar). MarathonTalk recommended it this week so I listened to it on the way up. Very interesting hearing her side of it, and her insight into the Nike ‘machine’ and how the company has big influences in the media, IAAF etc. I did see some criticism of Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe (both still with ties to Nike I believe) in the last couple of weeks, about how they spoke about the Salazar issue. Although Kara doesn’t mention them personally she makes a comment about BBC presenters. 

It’s episode 14 from 7th Oct of a podcast called ‘Clean Sport Collective’. Worth a listen.

Also, this week’s MT was very good and worth a listen too, mainly talking about Kipchoge. Ed Caesar is on - I read his book about breaking 2hrs a couple of years ago. He was one of the commentators on the TV coverage of the Ineos challenge and really does think the shoes have made a difference, alongside other things that were set up for the challenge. A great interview from someone with some real insight into the challenge and Kipchoge himself. 
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Good luck Cal and BigG for Sunday, and anyone else who is racing.

BigG - that's quite a drive, definitely worth doing it today and have an easier day tomorrow. Fingers crossed the hip behaves itself.  

Robert - I'm glad to hear you are back running. It has been a long recovery! I don't mind boring routes either. I've done Abingdon before so I know it's not pretty. But it's flat...

Shades - I know you do lots of your runs early in the morning - do you wear a head torch or chest torch? I've got a chest torch but I'm wondering if I need to add a head torch as well. Some of my runs are on narrow country roads and I'm concerned about how visible I might be with just one torch. 

Can't believe they are charging that for Brighton! But I have to say I really love it. Apart from the power station section, its a good route and well supported. You do get a t-shirt Shades - and although you have to pick your race number up beforehand, they have got a pretty good event village sorted out on the beach with fantastic food options. I've done it the past 3 years but I'm planning on a different one next spring, still trying to work out which one. Needless to say, I didn't get into London either. 

Car windscreen fixed and managed to get home in time to do 3 miles before the school run. But, I've come down with a virus - sore throat, headache. Am dosing up on lemsip and hope a good night's sleep will send it away again. Too many people with germs at the moment. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 5.5 hours with a stop is very good progress for a trip to the SE on a Friday, that journey has often taken me 7 hours :'( 

I briefly looked at Budapest marathon website and that race is also sponsored by Wizz Air.

I saw in a news report references made to Paula about her 'odd' comments re the Salazar issue but didn't know what the comments were.   I believe she still has some sponsorship deal with Nike, not sure about Steve Cram, but they maybe both do a bit of work for Nike?

Enjoy your catch up with your friends and hope you have a good race tomorrow.

Ian - never mind if you don't get a chance to run much, you're busy and need to rest too when you can.  Your training is done :)   Think of this, always gives me goose bumps seeing this pic, can't wait to go back to Frankfurt next year

Louey - I do hope that lurgy comes to nothing and you're feeling much better today.  You're right, lots of colds etc doing the rounds at the moment.

I don't wear or carry any torch when I run in the dark.  I hate wearing a head torch and although prefer to wear it on chest/waist I still hate it as I feel I'm running in a bubble.   So I run on the routes that have streetlights, a lot of ours are turned off at night so I'm mainly confined to the main roads and some housing estates but I manage.   As soon as it's light enough I'll go on the unlit country roads, sometimes that might be by a strong full moon.  I always wear a good reflective vest, these are fab, we were given these in Dublin marathon goody bags, and cars see me very easily.  It's more important that traffic can see you, a pedestrian with a torch can confuse traffic so you have to wear a reflective bib too so they can see it's a pedestrian otherwise they just see a light.

That's good that Brighton do a shirt, they didn't used to and received a lot of complaints as their race entry was so expensive, it was expected.  However, having to go there the day before is a big negative, travel and parking and accommodation is a ridiculous price.  

Hope Abingdon goes well for you tomorrow

Cal - hope you've packed that sex toy ;) 

Am taking a rest day today, my knee is niggly.   Gym later but will do upper body session.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Fingers crossed that lurgy comes to nothing, Louey. Are you travelling on the day to get to the race?

Shades, I saw in the Telegraph that Neil Black (recently sacked/resigned from UKA) had Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe as some kind of consultants, and I think Paula still does work for Nike (I remember when these new Nikes came out a couple of years ago, Paula was on social media with teasers around the release).  And of course her husband coaches Mo, so probably finds it difficult to question Mo publicly.  The implication being that they don’t really delve into detail about some of the issues that concern fans, because of their ties elsewhere. Just found this video of the interview she did on BBC after the Salazar story, which is partly what caused the negative comments (I think this was before Neil Black left).  The video is at the bottom of this, and I think is probably what Kara Goucher was referencing.  
    https://www.balls.ie/athletics/paula-radcliffe-alberto-salazar-bbc-418051

For me, I agree with the train of thought that if I was an athlete I’d like to think I wouldn’t go anywhere near that Oregan project. For me, some of these athletes associated definitely have an asterisk against their results but Paula did seem to downplay it a bit, in that interview. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks for the link.   All a bit vague and a lot of waffle I think.  Paula is clearly swayed by the fact that no athletes are banned as a result of this investigation.    Kara is right to say that all samples should be retested going back years.

Interesting that Nike were covering all legal costs after Salazar's ban and now that's gone to Nike shutting down the Oregon project.

The more you read/hear about this the more damaged Farah's reputation becomes.

I don't know if Linford Christie still coaches, he's failed drug tests in the past.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think the criticism of her was that she didn’t come out and strongly condemn Salazar. It was a bit woolly with the ‘overstepping’ the rules comment. I think that’s partly what annoys me about the whole thing - there are rules, but Nike and others try and find grey areas and it came across that Paula was almost endorsing or at least forgiving Salazar for that approach.  I think where she questioned the money spent on the case, but then admitted that finding cheating athletes was difficult was very confused.  Anyway, let’s see what happens there. 

I did Chelmsford parkrun plus the half mile there and back. It was a nice route, about 2/3 on tarmac paths. The event director asked for anyone doing the marathon to go up, and he took a photo of the relatively small group. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Hope that hasn't turned into anything much.
    Shades-Looking forward to the finish,just hope I'm in a state to enjoy it.
    Big G-I think a lot of the criticism of PR comes down to some people believing she was one of the first athletes to be involved with blood transfusions or something similar to help performance,while it wasnt illegal it was a grey area,similar to some of the stuff Salazar was charged with.Like a lot of others though she never failed a test so you have to hope she just happened to be 20 years ahead of her time on terms of times.
    OH was going to parkrun today so I went down with her,finished in 11th in 19:03ish,small parkrun PB,was thinking about a local 10k tomorrow,but after the tweak just before berlin I've decided against it.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi folks, Big G and shades gave me some course info before Yeovil, had a chat with Shades afterwards too. Anyway......

I did Brighton this year, whilst i agree on the upfront number collect being a pain (however that annoys me at any race) it was a good event. I used the on the day park and ride which is right next to the motorway and it was good, loads of crowds giving it a bit of a vlm feel but much less crowded as you run. The power station bit was fine too. You get  commemerative T shirt at number collect, but you buy a finishers T shirt before or after !,  i bought mine a few days later when the price goes down. Entry is cheaper if you enter early too (i entered straight away for next yr), biggest problem was the howling wind as it has lots of seafront running....im also doing Abingdon tomorrow, i like it, well run race for runners, again not too crowded and a nice enough route. Its probably one of the quickest courses you'll find in the uk too........shame Yeovil isnt on next year, i like the simplicity of parking next to the start and then a nice run round the countryside.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Didnt mean to put you off, was just saying that Brighton is a decent race, and it has early bird prices.

Carry on as normal.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    TR, I know a few runners who rate Brighton. 100MC chairman has done it all/most years I think. How did you get on at Yeovil? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Big G - it was ok, they said itd gone from around 300ft of total climb to 800,  but it was just a bit rolling really, with the 2bd 1/2 of the course a bit hillier. There was sn extra little loop to get the distance up and that went up the steepest little hill for a 3rd time. Was a nice day out, I'll probably go back again.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Feeling better and am running. Will post later. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big g - nice touch the parkrun director taking a pic of the marathon runners.

Ian - in the final miles of Frankfurt you come back to the race venue far sooner than expected and there's a bit of loop to do to make up the distance to finally run through that amazing finish.   I normally don't like that but it actually helped me and I ran miles 24 and 26 faster than I usually do.  The finish is exhilarating gives you a massive boost, everyone is smiling and no sign of tired legs.

Blood transfusions in athletes goes back to the 1960's and 1970's, was banned in the 1980's.   But by then most had realised that more or less the same effect can be made by altitude training.
    I don't think PR would be as heavily involved in the anti doping campaigns etc if she had ever come close to crossing the line herself.

Hi TR - yes, shame about no Yeovil next year, I do hope it returns in 2021.   I did my best Yeovil time on that course this year.  There's always North Dorset and Taunton, parking not quite as close but usually a couple of minutes walk, no more than that.
    That's odd about Brighton, if they give a shirt why buy another one too?    I suspect their early bird prices are still fairly pricey.   But what's put me off is your comment on the crowds, don't like anything like the thought of VLM crowds.   One of the things I hate about London is the crowds and the noise of the spectators.  When Tim Hutchings started Brighton marathon, that is exactly what he wanted it to be, as noisy as VLM with the crowds.  Good to know that they don't allow too many entries so the course isn't congested though.
    I know about the wind in Brighton, I've lived there twice.   I will never forget when I was living in a flat off the seafront and looking out the window to see the postman having to hang onto the railings to try and walk into our cul de sac.

Hope your run goes well today at Abingdon, a really well organised event, but apart from a couple of nice parts a truly dire route.

Louey - great news you feel well today, hope your race goes well.

8 miles for me today, my favourite hilly route, knee fine today.  First time I've used my new Garmin in daylight and all good except this it the first run I've done where there is a discrepancy in distance compared to my old Garmin.   Now I just have to sit down and redo the data screens in the format that I prefer, hate doing that faffing around but I want to use it next weekend in my race so it has to be done.